Most emotional/best version of "Bravado"

coventry

I'm partial to the '92 Rush-n-Roulette (Oakland) version (Jan 30th, not the Jan 29th version on youtube). But what "Bravado"'s resonate with you? Which one's manage to capture the pathos of the song like no other? Edited by coventry

I absolutely HATE this song. Loathe it with an incredibly unequalled passion. The epitome of exactly what was WRONG with Rush in the '90s. Just complete unequivocal pure horrendous boredom. I'd rather listen to grass grow. There is NO better way to destroy momentum in a setlist than to pull out this shitfest. Remember Different Stages? Yep...Bravado is on it. Sucks the life right out of the show the second it starts. It's almost as if someone took a huge dump right there on the cd itself. Why they continue to insist to torture the audience with this POS song from time to time absolutely astounds me.
  • Like 1

I love Bravado, one of my favorites. I don't really have a favorite version. The one I heard when I saw them in Buffalo struck me quite a bit, but I doubt it is their best version. Interesting topic idea though. If anybody has any links to what they consider to be the best version, I would love to hear it.
  • Like 2

Never been a huge fan of this song, beyond the main line "We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost". I always felt they already did this kind of song with The Pass, and they did it a million times better on it. None the less, when they played Bravado in Red Deer, it was at first a disappointing surprise (because they played limelight in the first alternator slot), but around the line "and if the music stops" something picked up in the song that I can't explain, and then there seemed to be something really special in the second guitar solo that night that made it really special. It was still my second least favorite song in the set that night (Red Sector A felt a bit lacking that show compared to the other performance I saw in Winnipeg), but it was still special somehow.

none of them. it's an ok song - way overrated IMHO.

Your opinion is never humble, goob.

I absolutely HATE this song. Loathe it with an incredibly unequalled passion. The epitome of exactly what was WRONG with Rush in the '90s. Just complete unequivocal pure horrendous boredom. I'd rather listen to grass grow. There is NO better way to destroy momentum in a setlist than to pull out this shitfest. Remember Different Stages? Yep...Bravado is on it. Sucks the life right out of the show the second it starts. It's almost as if someone took a huge dump right there on the cd itself. Why they continue to insist to torture the audience with this POS song from time to time absolutely astounds me.

Another lonely Friday night? Don't worry; things change when you get out of your 20's.

R30 version

Yeah - that one's up there, too. Alex's solo crescendoes beautifully.

Edited by coventry
  • Like 2

Never been a huge fan of this song, beyond the main line "We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost". I always felt they already did this kind of song with The Pass, and they did it a million times better on it. None the less, when they played Bravado in Red Deer, it was at first a disappointing surprise (because they played limelight in the first alternator slot), but around the line "and if the music stops" something picked up in the song that I can't explain, and then there seemed to be something really special in the second guitar solo that night that made it really special. It was still my second least favorite song in the set that night (Red Sector A felt a bit lacking that show compared to the other performance I saw in Winnipeg), but it was still special somehow.

That IS a tough change-out -- the 'Limelight" switch. But that's also the beauty of this tune, how Alex and create an emphatic emotional stamp after the musical intricacy of the structured ending.

I don't see the point of that. How I see it is how I see it. No one has to agree. My humility in these types of things lies in the fact that we're talking about music. In the grand scheme of life it's completely unimportant, so while my opinion might not be humble, I do know it's ultimately pretty meaningless.

• Like 1

I don't see the point of that. How I see it is how I see it. No one has to agree. My humility in these types of things lies in the fact that we're talking about music. In the grand scheme of life it's completely unimportant, so while my opinion might not be humble, I do know it's ultimately pretty meaningless.

I think Coventry may have been suggesting that you should leave the H out of your disclaimer ;)

• Like 1

I think Coventry may have been suggesting that you should leave the H out of your disclaimer ;)

ah, that! sorry, didn't even catch that! usually i forego that IMHO (or IMO as the case perhaps should be ;) ) entirely, as it's more fun to make definitive statements and watch people get all bent out of shape about it then to feign humility. regardless, we really are just talking about music and songs here, so to me it's not that big a deal anyway.

I'd have to say when Geddy mentioned 9/11 before they played it in Pittsburgh last year, on top of it being the first time seeing it played live was quite an experience. Roll the Bones and Moving Pictures were my two first Rush albums, a Christmas present in 1995 and I have always been partial to those records as a result. Great song

Bravado is definitely one of my favorites. It was pivotal in getting me through some rough times. The R30 version is quite good, but when I finally got to see it live at the show I attended on the 2013 leg of the CA tour, it was taken to a whole new level. It put me in a trance basically :P
  • Like 2

Horrible song. Weak, limp-wristed beige-fest. Rotten. With Hallmark card lyrics thrown in for good measure.

I wouldn't say horrible. They've done far worse, and on the very same album. That said, I never ever listen to it. The RTB album is about one thing for me: Dreamline

Edited by rushgoober

Horrible song. Weak, limp-wristed beige-fest. Rotten. With Hallmark card lyrics thrown in for good measure.

I wouldn't say horrible. They've done far worse, and on the very same album. That said, I never ever listen to it. The RTB is about one thing fro me: Dreamline

Too U2-ie?

If so, I can see that reaction?

I like it. It's far from an all-time favorite, but I think it's a good song.

I wouldn't say horrible. They've done far worse, and on the very same album. That said, I never ever listen to it. The RTB is about one thing fro me: Dreamline

Too U2-ie?

If so, I can see that reaction?

I like it. It's far from an all-time favorite, but I think it's a good song.

Just never found it particularly insipiring like a lot of people seem to - just kind of an average song, and Rush have too many above average songs to spend time listening to an average one. The song is kind of schmaltzy.

Edited by rushgoober

A little harsh but a good post.