Why vapor trails is "shit"

MMCXII

I kept thinking with all this fantastically obnoxious talk about the VT remix I should really listen to it and see what I think, but after suffering through the 30 second clips and no improvement whatsoever over the original other than it being less physically painful to listen to (clearer sound doesn't magically make bad songs good), I just couldn't do it. I want to, in theory, but when it comes down to it I'm just not that masochistic to put myself through an hour plus of such a horrible album again when there is so much good and great music out there for my ears to spend time with instead.

Looking at the Rush board these days with 800 threads about Rush's worst moment in their recorded history (by a very long margin) is pretty disgusting and obnoxious. Likely many feel the same way about my posts on the matter and this thread. it is what it is, but thankfully it's not forever as VT's new 15 minutes will soon be up and people will revert back to talking about their great albums again.

And the ironic thing is all this talk is about an album that will at most sell a few thousand copies and be enjoyed only by the most rabid, forgiving and sentimental of their hardcore fan base.

With all the mastrubatory VT threads out there, someone needs to be the voice of reason and remember that this album is still a giant steaming POS.

I kept thinking with all this fantastically obnoxious talk about the VT remix I should really listen to it and see what I think, but after suffering through the 30 second clips and no improvement whatsoever over the original other than it being less physically painful to listen to (clearer sound doesn't magically make bad songs good), I just couldn't do it. I want to, in theory, but when it comes down to it I'm just not that masochistic to put myself through an hour plus of such a horrible album again when there is so much good and great music out there for my ears to spend time with instead.

Looking at the Rush board these days with 800 threads about Rush's worst moment in their recorded history (by a very long margin) is pretty disgusting and obnoxious. Likely many feel the same way about my posts on the matter and this thread. it is what it is, but thankfully it's not forever as VT's new 15 minutes will soon be up and people will revert back to talking about their great albums again.

And the ironic thing is all this talk is about an album that will at most sell a few thousand copies and be enjoyed only by the most rabid, forgiving and sentimental of their hardcore fan base.

With all the mastrubatory VT threads out there, someone needs to be the voice of reason and remember that this album is still a giant steaming POS.

That is clearly some of what we are dealing with here: blind (or should we call it "deaf") devotion to a great, but not infalliable, band.

I compltely understand the phenomenon, because I used to be that way with Yes. Everything they did was great, every turd they dropped was chocolate ice cream. And then the album Open Your Eyes really opened my ears to the fact that Yes were not perfect, and had not been perfect for a really, really long time.

When people are locked into hero-whorhsip mode, and their very identity is wrapped up in being a rabid fan of a particular band, weird things will happen. Suddenly you find yourself believing that Steve Howe's guitar tone has been great all along, instead of starting to suck after the first Asia album. Or you would swear that We Can't Dance was as good an album as Duke. Or that Vapour Trails is a great Rush album that only suffered from poor engineering during recording. And anyone who would dare criticize the quality of the songs is a hater or a Debbie Downer.

To quote another awful Rush song, "It is what it is, and whatever."

Of course, all opinions expressed above are subject to change at any time.

;)

Obssessing over an Album? Really GROW UP

Obsessing over an Opinion? Really? Well... do whatever you want to do. :P

I think i will do just that. I think i will blast Vt remix for the umpteenth time. :rush:

I think i will do just that. I think i will blast Vt remix for the umpteenth time. :rush:

Enjoy! :cheers:

The answer to the OP's question is:

'Cuase Goober hasn't given it a stamp of approval yet. Until this happens it is and will remain Shit!

Hear, hear! :cheers:

Thats what we want, for you to "Hear, Hear" the damn thing already! :rage:

• Like 2

The answer to the OP's question is:

'Cuase Goober hasn't given it a stamp of approval yet. Until this happens it is and will remain Shit!

Hear, hear! :cheers:

Thats what we want, for you to "Hear, Hear" the damn thing already! :rage:

Maybe I will if there's a time I'm not feeling good about myself and want to listen to music for 67 minutes. :P

Remix or not, Vapor Trails still only has about 5 songs I like. It really starts to trail off in quality at the halfway mark. Nocturne, Freeze, and Out Of the Cradle are just very mediocre songs that shouldve been left on the editing room floor IMO. Ghost Rider is another one that had potential but the music they put to the lyric falls flat to my ears. It's not horrible but lacks any kind of hook and just rambles on to my ears. I've never liked Peaceable Kingdom either.

So overall, yes, it's much clearer and less muddy than the original. But there's no amount of mixing/remixing/remastering that will fix a song(s) that's not all that great to start with.

Edited by jnoble

Remix or not, Vapor Trails still only has about 5 songs I like. It really starts to trail off in quality at the halfway mark. Nocturne, Freeze, and Out Of the Cradle are just very mediocre songs that shouldve been left on the editing room floor IMO. Ghost Rider is another one that had potential but the music they put to the lyric falls flat to my ears. It's not horrible but lacks any kind of hook and just rambles on to my ears. I've never liked Peaceable Kingdom either.

So overall, yes, it's much clearer and less muddy than the original. But there's no amount of mixing/remixing/remastering that will fix a song(s) that's not all that great to start with.

Very, very true - you simply cannot polish a turd. And I never noticed a drop off in quality unless you consider correctly that the entire album is a drop off in quality, like a drop off a cliff. It's all one giant mush of depressing monotony.

Very, very true - you simply cannot polish a turd. And I never noticed a drop off in quality unless you consider correctly that the entire album is a drop off in quality, like a drop off a cliff. It's all one giant mush of depressing monotony.

Yes...lyrically and musically overall, it's...it's just not right. Depressing monotony, that's exactly it. I've never been able to summarize it quite so succinctly, but there it is.

• Like 1

Yes...lyrically and musically overall, it's...it's just not right. Depressing monotony, that's exactly it. I've never been able to summarize it quite so succinctly, but there it is.

Hogwash!!!!! :smash:

I am a hugh fan and it hurts me to say Vapor Trails is one of their worst cd's....Yes, the remaster sounds better but the songs and singing arrangements are terrible. It actually hurts to listen to some of the songs when i really want to like them. Geddy's exra harmonies are not good for rush and should have been kept to do on a solo cd. There are a few songs i like such as olv, ceiling unlimited, vapor trail, earthshine but the rest i can't stand. Of course there are little bits of those songs that i like but way too much that i don't....They got it right with Clockwork Angels though and i'm happy about that....just my opinion....something is really wrong with that cd but that's ok cause there are plenty of other rush cd's which are awsome....
  • Like 1

I am a hugh fan and it hurts me to say Vapor Trails is one of their worst cd's....Yes, the remaster sounds better but the songs and singing arrangements are terrible. It actually hurts to listen to some of the songs when i really want to like them. Geddy's exra harmonies are not good for rush and should have been kept to do on a solo cd. There are a few songs i like such as olv, ceiling unlimited, vapor trail, earthshine but the rest i can't stand. Of course there are little bits of those songs that i like but way too much that i don't....They got it right with Clockwork Angels though and i'm happy about that....just my opinion....something is really wrong with that cd but that's ok cause there are plenty of other rush cd's which are awsome....

yeah ok. Hey Goobs.

• Like 1

No I disagree, there are *some* improvements on it and worth the purchase for that. I will agree though that only half the album is likeable. Why Goobs is so insistent that there is *nothing* to like is just plain bananas though, and well he knows it.

No I disagree, there are *some* improvements on it and worth the purchase for that. I will agree though that only half the album is likeable. Why Goobs is so insistent that there is *nothing* to like is just plain bananas though, and well he knows it.

No, well he does NOT know it. :no:

:facepalm:

You're going to hate me, but I don't find the flaws on VT to be that awful. Why is everyone so vehement? They remixed it anyway, so this should be over with. :beathorse: Edited by ThatLightInYourEyes
  • Like 1

I agree wholeheartedly with the title of this thread, but not the explanation contained herein. I think we can all agree, however, that the album IS shit. :yes:

Aw Goober, an I was gonna dedicate this thread to you.. ;)

I dedicated my last shit to him. It was runny and annoying, and no matter how much I wiped, it wanted to stick around...just like Goober.

http://images.asos-media.com/inv/media/4/6/2/2/2262264/image3xl.jpg

It's all good, Goose. He's just jealous that I have WAY better taste in music than he does and that I beat him in every argument. ;)

:LOL: Hey, in the "last movie you watched" thread I asked you about the Brian Wilson documentary on Smile, "Beautiful Dreamer". Seen it?

I think so. I did see a Brian Wilson documentary at some point - don't know what it was called though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv2iTjYWma0 Proggy goodness.

Another thread about vapor trails.

As opposed to? VT remixed just came out, of course most threads will be about VT. Were you expecting people to gravitate towards the debut album with the release of VT remixed? In November CA Live will come out and most threads will talk about CA and the tour.

Then you'll see a resurgence of the usual threads. Album X vs album Y, Ged's voals this, Neil's drumming that, Rush is better than X, What do you guys think of Y, etc until something happens that's Rush related. All of those threads will be rehashes of rehashes of rehashes of discussions that have been had many times before because nothing is happening that's NEW on the Rush front. If you don't want to participate in them, why don't you go out an explore the rest of the forum, or better yet, MAKE a discussion that you want to have rather than complain about the trend of current threads within those threads.