Why vapor trails is "shit"

MMCXII

After all of these Vapor Trail threads, no matter how long I live, I don't think I will ever be able to listen to it without thinking (at one point during the listening of the album) about Rushgoober! Maybe even I will dedicate a song to him. When Ghost Rider comes on, I will raise my glass of soda and say "Here's to you Goober!" :LOL: ;)
  • Like 1

After all of these Vapor Trail threads, no matter how long I live, I don't think I will ever be able to listen to it without thinking (at one point during the listening of the album) about Rushgoober! Maybe even I will dedicate a song to him. When Ghost Rider comes on, I will raise my glass of soda and say "Here's to you Goober!" :LOL: ;)

Me too! But my "Goober tune" is going to be 'How it is'

"It's such a cloudy day

Seems we'll never see the sun

Or feel the day has possibilities

Frozen in the moment...

The lack of imagination

Between how it is and how it ought to be"

Here's hoping he'll have a "little victory" ;)

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 2

I agree wholeheartedly with the title of this thread, but not the explanation contained herein. I think we can all agree, however, that the album IS shit. :yes:

I cannot wait to watch you choke down that giant plate of crow :)

Alex didn't want to play solos out of respect for Neil? What could playing solos possibly have to do with that? That doesn't explain any of the other albums since Power Windows.

I found this quote:

“Vapor Trails was really the first album where I really limited the soloing,” admits the guitarist. “At the time, I truly didn’t want to bring the attention to that point in a song where the guitar takes over and it becomes about the solo.

“I might have been wrong about it, but the way I was feeling, at the time, was that we were coming back from this very dark period and I wanted a sense of unity where no one was showing off or standing out. I wanted it to really be about the three of us. I kind of manifested that whole attitude by not standing out and soloing.”

I've heard the reasons before, and while it might have made sense at the time, we're still left with no guitar solos... on a RUSH album... :facepalm:

Of course, that's far from the only thing wrong with the album, but that alone is just inexcusable.

• Like 1

Me too! But my "Goober tune" is going to be 'How it is'

"It's such a cloudy day

Seems we'll never see the sun

Or feel the day has possibilities

Frozen in the moment...

The lack of imagination

Between how it is and how it ought to be"

Here's hoping he'll have a "little victory" ;)

:blush:

I agree wholeheartedly with the title of this thread, but not the explanation contained herein. I think we can all agree, however, that the album IS shit. :yes:

Are you thinking I'm going to hear the remix and fall in love or something?

I heard the Mita remaster and while it was less physically painful, the songs still sucked.

I heard the two remixed songs on the Retrospective CD - for me it only showed the inherent weakness of the songs once the distraction of all the distortion was out of the way.

So, don't hold your breath... ;)

as long as you give it a fair shake I think it's quite possible, especially since you think CA is such a masterpiece. I think both albums are really good Rush records with problematic productions.

Obviously VTs production problems are more severe but I'm confident this remix is going to fix that.

as long as you give it a fair shake I think it's quite possible, especially since you think CA is such a masterpiece. I think both albums are really good Rush records with problematic productions.

Obviously VTs production problems are more severe but I'm confident this remix is going to fix that.

Rushgoober will like VT when Fox News becomes fair and balanced and Putin overturns Russia's anti-gay laws. It's weird how old time TRF members can have faith in rushgoober changing his stripes. :LOL: Downright weird. :eh:

Rushgoober will like VT when Fox News becomes fair and balanced and Putin overturns Russia's anti-gay laws. It's weird how old time TRF members can have faith in rushgoober changing his stripes. :LOL: Downright weird. :eh:

I know, right? I think Putin will overturn the anti-gay laws a lot lot sooner than me liking VT. I doubt Fox News would ever be fair and balanced, however.

For the record, I have absolutely NO plans on purchasing the remaster. Why would I pay $15 or whatever on an album that I hate? If someone wants to burn me a copy and send it to me, I'll give it a shot, I guess - out of respect for someone going to the trouble, but other than that, I'm about as interested in getting the remaster as I am in buying one of Neil's snorefest books.

I know, right? I think Putin will overturn the anti-gay laws a lot lot sooner than me liking VT. I doubt Fox News would ever be fair and balanced, however.

For the record, I have absolutely NO plans on purchasing the remaster. Why would I pay $15 or whatever on an album that I hate? If someone wants to burn me a copy and send it to me, I'll give it a shot, I guess - out of respect for someone going to the trouble, but other than that, I'm about as interested in getting the remaster as I am in buying one of Neil's snorefest books.

That's too bad Goobs because I think Neil actually mentioned you in Ghost Rider while he was on the side of the road pissed off after some kid in Edmonton accidentally filled his bike with diesel.. ;) lol

No, but we can all agree that your dumbass ramblings are SHIT!!!!! Dummy up.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/d1fbddf198fd49c70cf256c4547b0e9d/tumblr_moobkcTwCn1rc5vyzo1_250.gif

• Like 2

Alex didn't want to play solos out of respect for Neil? What could playing solos possibly have to do with that? That doesn't explain any of the other albums since Power Windows.

I found this quote:

“Vapor Trails was really the first album where I really limited the soloing,” admits the guitarist. “At the time, I truly didn’t want to bring the attention to that point in a song where the guitar takes over and it becomes about the solo.

“I might have been wrong about it, but the way I was feeling, at the time, was that we were coming back from this very dark period and I wanted a sense of unity where no one was showing off or standing out. I wanted it to really be about the three of us. I kind of manifested that whole attitude by not standing out and soloing.”

Thanks for posting that. I didn't know this. What I did notice is that there really were no guitar solos on Vapor Trails when it first came out. But the more I listened to it the more I found there actually were guitar leads. But Alex is such a great rythym guitar player, he doesn't have to use licks to do a guitar solo or lead. I love the guitar lead/solo on Earthshine. It's classic Rush to me. Alex can shred like on Freewill, or can use chord techniques to lead like on Red Sector A. It's about the song and not just about the guitarist. That being said, I think the main riffs in many of the songs were lacking. The impression I got from the album when it was new was that Rush had matured and this was going to be some kind of contemporary rock album and marketed for fans who now have real jobs and families and such. The other impression I got was that this album was a sign of the times. Take a look around at the music industry at that time. We were still in the grunge era but thanks to the Oz-Fests, metal was coming back. However, the difference between the metal of the late 90's and early 2000's was the songs not only lacked all the twists and turns of the masterpieces metal has been known for in the 80's, but there were no guitar solos being played. Metal bands and rock bands that were popular then, Godsmack, Disturbed, Creed, they weren't playing solos. That's the stupid corporate industry for ya. So I pretty much figured that's why Vapor Trails was more conservative.

My personal opinion of that album, it contains some of my least favorite songs. I only liked Earthshine, Nocturn, and Sweet Miracle. Those songs I liked right away and I wished the whole album could have had songs that good. Freeze grew on me pretty quick. I only learned to really like One Little Victory from seeing it played live a few times. What an awesome performance with the dragon, the video in the backround, and the pyrotechnics. The song Vapor Trail is pretty good. It took me time to notice it. I like most of that song. But that album does sound much like Geddy's solo album. I'm not real crazy about the overdubbing of the vocals and the harmonizing. I am looking forward to hearing it remixed but I'm still only going to like the songs that I like. I would like to hear them remix Roll The Bones and Presto. Those albums just sound thin and need to add some fullness to the sound. And I'd love for them to remix Power Windows and make it sound more like the demos for that album.

• Like 1

Aw Goober, an I was gonna dedicate this thread to you.. ;)

I dedicated my last shit to him. It was runny and annoying, and no matter how much I wiped, it wanted to stick around...just like Goober.

http://images.asos-media.com/inv/media/4/6/2/2/2262264/image3xl.jpg

It's all good, Goose. He's just jealous that I have WAY better taste in music than he does and that I beat him in every argument. ;)

:LOL: Hey, in the "last movie you watched" thread I asked you about the Brian Wilson documentary on Smile, "Beautiful Dreamer". Seen it?

Edited by goose

No, but we can all agree that your dumbass ramblings are SHIT!!!!! Dummy up.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/d1fbddf198fd49c70cf256c4547b0e9d/tumblr_moobkcTwCn1rc5vyzo1_250.gif

This just made me so happy.

Aw Goober, an I was gonna dedicate this thread to you.. ;)

I dedicated my last shit to him. It was runny and annoying, and no matter how much I wiped, it wanted to stick around...just like Goober.

http://images.asos-media.com/inv/media/4/6/2/2/2262264/image3xl.jpg

It's all good, Goose. He's just jealous that I have WAY better taste in music than he does and that I beat him in every argument. ;)

:LOL: Hey, in the "last movie you watched" thread I asked you about the Brian Wilson documentary on Smile, "Beautiful Dreamer". Seen it?

I think so. I did see a Brian Wilson documentary at some point - don't know what it was called though...

From Geddy's new RS interview:

It's kind of a long story, but there are essential building blocks to what lead to a remix. You have to put yourself back to that period of time. We had just gone through a very sad and dark four or five years after Neil's family was so tragically taken from him. When he reached out to us and said he wanted to come back and attempt to work together, we wanted to do it in an environment that was as comfortable to him as possible with as little pressure as possible.

At that time, we had talked to various producers and one of them was David Bottrill. In the end, Alex and I looked at each other and said, "I don't think it's fair to Neil to bring a stranger in the room when he's kind of in a delicate state." We said, "Let's get Paul Northfield. He's not only worked on many of our albums, but is a very close friend, so Neil is comfortable from the get go."

Neil had to learn how to play the drums again, how to get his confidence back. It was a lot of slow baby steps to getting back to us at our peak. The writing process took a really long time. Alex and I would work all day in the control room and Neil would practice and write lyrics. We kind of blocked out a small studio in Toronto and we were there for 14 months making this record. It was a long and emotional and stressful time to the end, because we were close to the finish but we had spent so much time on it. We were way too close to it.

Had we been wise, we would have said, "Okay, we're taking a two-month break and then bring someone in to mix it when we all have fresh ears." We figured, "The show must go on! People are expecting the record now." The record company had been waiting and waiting for it. So we just pushed through and got it mixed. We went through two different people to mix it because we were so unhappy with it. We just believed in the record, but in the end we were just fried.

Everybody went their own way. I took the record to New York to master it. By the time I had a couple of weeks off to hear it clearly, I realized we had kind of over-cooked the record. The mixes were really loud and brash. The mastering job was harsh and distorted, but by then, it was out of my hands. It was already out.

It's a terrible feeling that, due to lack of objectivity, you let an imperfect piece of work get out there. But the songs are very strong and people really responded to the record and people were welcoming us back. The sonic defects of it got lost in the excitement of the bands return to functionality. It's always been a bee in my bonnet. We had various people attempt to remix it and remaster it over the years, and it still didn't satisfy.

After a while, it was hard to get people onboard. "Why are you obsessing over this one record? You have 20 records. Why the f**k do you care about this one record?" I just felt it was so pivotal that the songs required some justice. We gave it one last kick of the can, and Andy from our management suggested that David Bottrill have a go at it. I thought it was kind of strange/full circle that the guy we almost used in the first place is trying to save it. We were on tour and Neil didn't want to have too much to do with it. The album has a lot of very painful memories for him. We said, "Don't worry. We're going to let David just follow his instincts and he'll do it while we're touring."

David just got the record right away and started sending us mixes. Of course, we'd have comments here or there, but generally he understood what it should sound like. So, I'm very pleased with the end result. I think he's finally brought some completion and some justice to some of those songs we'd put so much of our heart and soul into.

• Like 5

classic rock interview alex....appologies if already posted.

Classic Rock

Mobile

Login

| Join

Subscribe to Classic Rock

Home

News

Features

MUSIC & VIDEOS

Blog

Podcasts

Archive

Shop

RSS

Newsletter

Join us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Home >

Features >

Lifeson: Vapor Trails is an important record – our return after a horrible nightmare

Lifeson: Vapor Trails is an important record – our return after a horrible nightmare

Comments 10 gbarton at 04:00pm September 18 2013

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM - MAY 25: Alex Lifeson (L) and Geddy Lee of Rush performing live on stage at the O2 Arena on May 25, 2011 in London. (Photo by Joby Sessions/Rhythm Magazine) Alex Lifeson;Geddy Lee. CONTACT: Future Publishing Limited 30 Monmouth St, Bath, UK, BA1 2BW +44 (0)1225 442244 licensing@futurenet.com www.futurelicensing.com, www.futureplc.com

Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee of Rush: (not so) happy Trails

Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson has explained why the band’s 2002 album Vapor Trails is being reissued in a remixed form – and why, 11 years on, drummer Neil Peart still can’t bear to listen to the record.

Words: Paul Eliott

Vapor Trails was always a problematic album for Rush. It marked a comeback for the band, and for Peart in particular. It was the first album they had made together since the double tragedy that Peart suffered in the late 90s – his 19-year-old daughter Selena killed in a car crash, and his wife Jacqueline succumbing to cancer.

In the aftermath, Peart told Lifeson and bassist/vocalist Geddy Lee that he was retired. He didn’t play drums for three years. But when he agreed to rejoin the band, they spent 15 months working on Vapor Trails, and the result was an album described by Lifeson as “filled with raw emotion”. In his lyrics, Peart wrote about the pain he had experienced. And the music had a similarly heavy vibe. “We wanted it to be hard-hitting,” Geddy Lee said.

But over time, both Lee and Lifeson have felt that Vapor Trails didn’t sound right. “It really bothered us that it didn’t sound like it did when we were making it,” Lifeson says. “Now we’ve remixed it, it’s the way it should always have been. But Neil still won’t listen to the record.”

What do you remember most about the making of Vapor Trails back in 2002?

Alex Lifeson: We invested so much of our hearts into that record. It was hard work for the 15 months we worked on it, and there were times when we didn’t think we’d get through it. There were moments when we hated it. We threw out a bunch of songs and we re-wrote one song, Earthshine, three times.

So the whole process was a struggle?

There was no other record that was rebounding off such a difficult period. Just getting to the point of agreeing to do the album was monumental. The first days in the studio, it was January and grey, a cold Canadian winter, and it just didn’t bode well. It was uncomfortable and difficult to get into a groove and a rhythm.

You say that the sound of the finished album ‘bothered’ you and Geddy. What exactly was wrong?

The original mastering was the problem. It was poorly done. At the time we should have remastered. It bothered us forever – particularly Geddy, who had the task of remastering of the original album and feels responsible for it. It irked him for many years. The original version is hard on your ears, because the mastering was pushed so hard, there’s distortion and so much compression – I found it very difficult to listen to it.

But why go back and remix it – why rewrite history?

There was so much invested in that record and it just didn’t sit with us that we had this blemish on our recording history. We wanted to rectify that. I’d like to remix every record we did – maybe update some parts. But that’s crazy, you know? You don’t do that – records are moments in time, markers of these different periods of progression and growth. But this one was a very important record – our return after a horrible nightmare. And it deserved better.

Given the circumstances, is Vapor Trails one of the most important albums Rush have ever made?

I think it is. It deserves a very special place in our repertoire.

Who has remixed it?

David Bottrell. He produced Tool for a lot of years and I loved that stuff. There was talk about him producing Vapor Trails in 2002, but everything was so fragile at the time that it didn’t work out. But we stayed in touch. He’s a Toronto boy. In fact he lives not too far from where I am.

When was the remixing done?

We started in May of this year, when we were touring in Europe. We did all our approvals long distance. We had a few people remix a couple of songs and they were all really good, but there was something about David’s that really felt right to us. He found things in the tracks. David’s was the most interesting approach to remixing it, and the more he got into it, the more he got a sense of overall unity. To me it sounds so good. It’s blossomed. It’s a really great Rush record – some great playing and great ideas. And now that it all knits together in a much more complete way, it feels right.

In layman’s terms, how does the remixed version sound different?

It’s much more pleasurable to listen to. Now, everything’s open, you can hear everything, and everything has its place. It’s so well-balanced. There’s a sort of creaminess and a smoothness to the sound of it. It’s so much more dynamic. Before, everything was just balls to the wall. Now it breathes.

But the remix hasn’t made it any easier for Neil to listen to the album…

I don’t think it makes any difference to him at all. He wasn’t involved in the remixing. He basically said, “I tried but I can’t do it.” It just churned up so many memories for him when he listened to the first remixes. He said, “I trust you guys to do it, but I can’t be a part of it.” And we totally understand that, of course. It was what we expected.

Does this new version of Vapor Trails feel like closure on a difficult part of the band’s history?

I don’t know. That’s a question for Neil. But I think he’s doing well. He’s happy in his life. What he feels deep down, he doesn’t really share. You can only speculate how he is.

Rush Clockwork Angels live DVD

And what next for Rush?

There’s a live DVD from the Clockwork Angels tour. It’s coming out just after Vapor Trails. We’re all still waiting to see the final cut for approval. Apart from that we don’t have much planned.

Have you discussed when you will tour again?

No. There are no definitive discussions about it at this point. Right now it’s only been a month since we got home and we really need three or four months to get it out of our system and then see what we feel like doing. But I think we’re looking at spring of 2015 as the probable time to get back going again.

And the next Rush album?

I don’t know. But Ged’s been collecting bass guitars like a madman. He’s covered the walls with all these vintage basses. He’s playing them, and he’s not one for playing when we’re not touring. So I’m wondering if maybe he and I will sit down in the new year and do something. I’m just speculating. I’m not saying there are any plans for writing or anything like that. But if he’s goofing around with his basses, that’s a good sign for me.

* Rush will release the remixed version of Vapor Trails on September 30. A seven-disc box set, The Studio Albums 1989-2007, will appear on the same day.

Tags: Alex Lifeson, featured, Geddy Lee, Neil Peart, Rush, Vapor Trails

From around the web:

Strange Facts About Richard Branson

Strange Facts About Richard Branson (Celebrity Toob)

13 Signs You Are Too “Old” to Enjoy Concerts Anymore

13 Signs You Are Too “Old” to Enjoy Concerts Anymore (Pop​Hangover)

A Sensitive Rap Star Toughens Up

A Sensitive Rap Star Toughens Up (The New York Times)

Memphis: where to find the blues

Memphis: where to find the blues (Guardian)

Memphis: where to find the blues

A Sensitive Rap Star Toughens Up

13 Signs You Are Too “Old” to Enjoy Concerts Anymore

Strange Facts About Richard Branson

Recommended by

Popular Comments

Latest Comments

Login or Register to use our comments system.

Kev Moore says:

03:31pm September 18 2013

"Geddy goofing around on his basses."

All is right with the world. :-)

Rate Up (0) Rate Down (0)

Spam (0)

user has no avatar

warptek says:

04:29pm September 18 2013

Not only was VT "balls to the wall" it also sounded rather primitive stripped down and naked. I guess I was getting used to having all these extra "events" triggered at various moments in the music. I still liked it more than any other lp out at the time though.

Spam (0)

Burt K Arthur says:

04:31pm September 18 2013

I have had my moments of seperation from Rush...today I truly believe they are Immortal! I have never seen them 'Live' but did see the Live in Rio...DVD and was so overwelmed by their Dymanics I couldn't stop telling those I spoke to about how I felt and how they too should see them! My very first all original Rock Band in the early 80's, our drummer was an avid Neil Peart follower...and both Geddy and Alex have influenced me tremendiously. I remember reading a bit about Neils loss...it hurts to think of what he might have gone through and yet realizing that he had to move foreward...the air must have been heavy and the sky was crying...for his and the Bands efforts!

So good to know they have survived...Peace and continued success to Rush, one of my very favorite Bands, I am a fan. thank You very much!

Spam (0)

user has no avatar

Gaf Stafford says:

06:03pm September 18 2013

They certainly chose the right guy for the re-mixing process, as the albums that Bottrill made with Tool (Aenima & Lateralus) are two of the most incredible, extraordinary & otherworldly albums that have ever been made, in my humble opinion.

Spam (0)

user has no avatar

Valhalla says:

03:42am September 19 2013

As they say, you cannot polish a turd! It is a woeful album, it really is, poor songs & that is unusual for Rush. At least re mixing it might make them feel a little better though, well at least Lee & Lifeson!

Apart from their debut album (they had to start somewhere), Vapor Trails is their worst album easily!

Spam (0)

user has no avatar

the tragically hip says:

04:06pm September 19 2013

In many , many , many more people's opinion V.T. , is one of RUSH'S best , ever. I can't wait to HEAR IT sounding right!!! All of the songs are there. If you liked CLOCK WORK ANGELS , you will just love Vapor Trails [re-mixed / 2013].

Spam (0)

user has no avatar

PorkLord says:

06:10pm September 19 2013

Well, I find there's a general correlation between age and intelligence on the one side, and a Rush fan's favorite records on the other. Younger kids seem to stick with the obvious early 80s records. Older fans with an IQ above 20 (or an appetite for curiosity) tend towards the more recent records. It's really about personal evolution, just as it is with the guys in the band. I've aged with them, so the new records have more to say to me.

In terms of feel, arrangement and instrumentation, Vapor Trails scarcely has any peers. I'll actually throw on Signals, HYF, Moving Pictures and other Rush records, immediately pull them off and shift to Vapor Trails. Fear Part IV is one of the best rock tunes ever. The whole record is a litany of remarkable rock music. Nothing like it. Musical taste is hard to nail down. All I can say for sure is a healthy human brain craves newness and innovation. Thank goodness the boys in Rush agree. Otherwise, they'd be like ACDC - same record over and over again. But then, you're probably an ACDC fan (no offense meant). Hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I will suggest you not claim something is terrible merely because you cannot understand it.

Spam (0)

user has no avatar

TONYA says:

04:23pm September 19 2013

I am probably one of the only people on the planet that actually love VAPOR TRAILS unmixed, unremastered and that includes the creators it seems. In fact I was jamming on it this morning while driving to work. That said, I can not WAIT to hear this - especially my favorite song How it Is. I do completely understand how this is a hard album for NEIL to listen to, on the emotional side. I lost someone to suicide so i know what NEIL means by not having things remind him... Happy Note... RUSH tour 2015 (possibly)- who is a HAPPY HAPPY Girl.. that would be me... #rushforever - Thanks RUSH - I love You!!

Spam (0)

user has no avatar

Valhalla says:

08:34pm September 19 2013

PorkLord, ACDC fan, now that is very funny indeed! It actually works the other way around, the earlier Rush, (up to the mid 90's) is actually where the intelligent factor is! Rush have run out of ideas, it happens to all songwriters, Snakes & Arrows has some 'more intelligent" music on it, but really? Oh, by the way, I understand lame songs no problem, & I am not the only Rush fan who thinks VT is a weak record! How you can mention, Moving Pictures, HYF & Signals in the same sentence as VT?

One thing that you have correct, is that, yes, it is a personal opinion, from any individual! Geddy's vocal melodies are so predictable & devoid of the melody & emotion of the 'classic' Rush these days! And the song writing is mundane, it happens!