Any Rory Gallagher fans out there?

lal90RushFan

So I've recently stumbled upon the Great and Powerful Rory Gallagher's work. No, I haven't listened to much yet, but I've listened to enough to know that he was/is freaking amazing.

If any of you are fans and have recommendations, please feel free to share them. And why are they your favorites.

Go!

I love a bit of Rory Gallagher.

I often find myself listening to his live stuff more. Irish Tour and Live in Europe are both fantastic, and full of energy.

As for studio albums, Tattoo is probably my favourite, along with Deuce, Blueprint and Calling Card. But really, you can't go wrong, particularly with the earlier stuff.

• Like 1

Rory was a great guy as well as a great musician.

opening night of his 1978 (or was it 1979 ? , 1980 ? it's all a haze) UK tour in Glasgow and his flight is delayed, crowd very restless. Comes on stage maybe 45 mins late, played about an extra hour as way of apology.

Great live performer. As well as albums mentioned already, check out Photo finish and Top priority

Edited by toscanobarga
  • Like 2

I love a bit of Rory Gallagher.

I often find myself listening to his live stuff more. Irish Tour and Live in Europe are both fantastic, and full of energy.

As for studio albums, Tattoo is probably my favourite, along with Deuce, Blueprint and Calling Card. But really, you can't go wrong, particularly with the earlier stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKaiHamPT54

Agree completely. You should listen to Irish Tour and Live in Europe first. They are his best. He didn't like going into the studio so his live albums have so much more energy and passion. I only got to see him live once but he was incredible and the opening act (some band called Rush) wasn't bad either.
  • Like 1

Of course I'm a fan. There's a documentary on Netlix if you're interested. I forget the songs I learned on drums, but it's great music. I saw Rory open for Rush in around 1983 signals, joe Louis arena? anyway, very good music but he since died... RIP Rory!
  • Like 1

Of course I'm a fan. There's a documentary on Netlix if you're interested. I forget the songs I learned on drums, but it's great music. I saw Rory open for Rush in around 1983 signals, joe Louis arena? anyway, very good music but he since died... RIP Rory!

I've heard of this documentary. I'll certainly have to check it out.

Wow. Rush AND Rory Gallagher? That sounds like my idea of heaven.

EARL!!!!!!!!!!!

The Irish Tour '74 has gotten the deluxe treatment!

8 DISCS!

The Cork, Dublin & Belfast shows, the City Hall session & the movie! 5 of the discs have never seen the light of day as Cork was used in the main for the original release.

It is a MONUMENTAL release.

• Like 3

EARL!!!!!!!!!!!

The Irish Tour '74 has gotten the deluxe treatment!

8 DISCS!

The Cork, Dublin & Belfast shows, the City Hall session & the movie! 5 of the discs have never seen the light of day as Cork was used in the main for the original release.

It is a MONUMENTAL release.

Fantastic! You can never have too much live Rory Gallagher. Irish Tour is a great live album. Can't wait to hear more
  • Like 2

How wonderful! I had no idea we had a Rory Gallagher thread here.

I was given a Taste compilation quite a few years ago, and I have a couple of his solo albums, as well as Irish Tour '74.

Fantastic guitarist, and criminally underrated.

• Like 2

I can highly recommend the new Taste box set, "I'll Remember", the 2 studio albums with shitloads of extras and 2 discs of unreleased live material.

Essential.

A million thanks! I'll definetely get it.