Counterparts vs. Test for Echo

sitboaf

Not to harp on it but, Virtuality was talking about the net at the time. Its hard to remember what it was like back then compared to now. I remember using AOL and a dial up modem that would tie up the phone line. And the big thing was chat rooms and "cybering" (i.e. cyber sex) Talking to people in these chat rooms and playing out fantasies online and having your imagination fill in the missing gaps. I find the song to be very accurate of that time and all the lyrics make total sense to me, even though its not among my favorite songs by far.

I always keep in mind that yes we Rush fans scrutinize everything, but its just a rock song, not a manifesto to live your life by. Go listen to songs on the radio and try to figure out what the hell they are talking about.

Overall CP is a better album.

Edited by jacklifeson

I suck at the threads where I have to say which album I like best. As always, I love both of these albums for different reasons- I can't say which is worst, or best. Hard to rank individual tracks, too. I wouldn't be without either album. I fail at debate! :huh:

I know that feel, bro. xD You're not the only one!

• Like 1

Two albums that I really do not care for. If I was to do myself a Rush compilation then none of the tracks from CP would appear and maybe one from T4E if I was aiming for 50 tracks.

Whilst Presto has utter shite, like Show Don't Tell, it has decent tracks like The Pass and Available Light. Roll The Bones has Dreamline and Ghost Of A Chance to relieve the utter mediocrity but CP and T4E are a nadir for the band.

Not a fan of either of them, but if I had to choose then it would be Counterparts. Ironically, I like the song "The Speed of Love", which is usually considered a weak effort by fans of this album.

The only thing I like about Test for Echo is the album cover. But musically and lyrically, it's a bore. It's almost as if they had no specific, clear direction of what they wanted to achieve with this album.

I just gave CP another listen because of the remaster. It is still far and away Rush's worst album, and perhaps the only album I can't listen to all the way through no matter what mood I'm in. Edited by LedRush

Counterparts is a better overall album, but I over value T4E because I LOVE the songs T4E, Driven, and especially Time and Motion. The fall off after those three songs is pretty dramatic.
  • Like 2

I just gave CP another listen because of the remaster. It is still far and away Rush's worse albums, and perhaps the only album I can't listen to all the way through no matter what mood I'm in.

:o

I just gave CP another listen because of the remaster. It is still far and away Rush's worst album, and perhaps the only album I can't listen to all the way through no matter what mood I'm in.

OHHHHH, I finally figured out what your problem is. First put down the crack pipe, and THEN listen to the album. :yes: :cheers:

TFE for me is s very light Album, which is kinda nice for a change. I listened to it straight through the other day in the car, it was nice.

CP to me starts on a high note with animate, and ends on a high note with Everyday Glory, probably my 2 favs on the album. The rest of it is kinda meh, I do like double agent, cold fire, LTTA to some degree. Both not great albums by rush standards

TFE wins for me by a landslide. Driven and Resist are a couple of my favorite Rush songs period, while I only like about four songs off of CP. The first four are great and then it goes downhill.

Animate = Test For Echo...I really like both

Stick it Out < Driven...like both but Driven is just more, um, driven

Cut To The Chase > Half The World....eh, don't really care that much

Nobody's Hero = Color Of Right...both are totally worthless, shitty, wastes of time

Between Sun And Moon = Time And Motion...both rock, love 'em

Alien Shore >>> Totem...totem sucks

Speed Of Love << Dog Years...SoL is gawd awful & I dig dog years

Double Agent > Virtuality

LTTA >>>>> Resist....no contest

Cold Fire = Limbo...one suckfest negates the other

Everyday Glory = Carve Away The Stone...again one taint wipe out stinks the other

So to sum up: neither album is spectacular but each has some songs I like a lot and some that I hate.

• Like 1

1. Animate < Test for Echo

2. Stick it Out = Driven

3. Cut to the Chase > Half the World

4. Nobody's Hero > The Color of Right

5. Between Sun & Moon < Time and Motion

6. Alien Shore > Totem

7. The Speed of Love > Dog Years

8. Double Agent > Virtuality

...here I have to swap the 9s and 10s to get the instrumentals to line up...

9. Leave That Thing Alone = Limbo

10. Cold Fire > Resist

11. Everyday Glory = Carve Away the Stone

• Like 1

Counterparts is a better overall album, but I over value T4E because I LOVE the songs T4E, Driven, and especially Time and Motion. The fall off after those three songs is pretty dramatic.

I no longer need to post on this topic.

• Like 1

2. Stick it Out = Driven

6. Alien Shore > Totem

10. Cold Fire > Resist

My god that is horrible. I can't look anymore.

2. Stick it Out = Driven

6. Alien Shore > Totem

10. Cold Fire > Resist

My god that is horrible. I can't look anymore.

• Like 1