Can We Talk About Concert Etiquette?

sun dog

I agree, whatever floats yer boat. I don't care what other folks do at a show.

Just please don't stand up in front of me.

Why not? Are you sitting while texting someone?

• Like 2

I agree, whatever floats yer boat. I don't care what other folks do at a show.

Just please don't stand up in front of me.

Why not? Are you sitting while texting someone?

the people who try to get everyone to sit at rush concerts are the same people who text and spend more time deciding what to get on their 12 dollar hot dog than watching the band

• Like 2

Well, I think this recent video is very relevant to the topic. Look around after the 2:05 mark, that's where it begins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bkjW38U1Gs

Bruce just knows how to look out for people when he catches a glance of the action.

Edited by Anguyen92
  • Like 1

I was at that show last week and loved Bruce's attention to this and many other people doing stupid things at Maiden shows over the years. He actually called a guy out for texting last year. I mean, look at all the iphones in that video alone! I had some lady, who I had spoke with after the opener and who seemed like a decent gal, use her iphone for numerous songs with some stupid light on the front of it right behind my group of friends. Right next to one guy and really right in his face! I mean, c'mon give me break, if people don't realize how much of their lives are being basicly controlled by these products then there is no hope for them. There seems to be a widening gap between simple use of new ways to communicate and capture memories and literally living inside some sort of tv land kind of life. Its out of hand and IMO if you defend this kind of behavior you are lost.

By the way, Maiden ruled that night! Up The Irons!!

the people who try to get everyone to sit at rush concerts are the same people who text and spend more time deciding what to get on their 12 dollar hot dog than watching the band

Sometimes the people who ask others to sit are the ones with Parkinson's disease who can't stand for three hours solid.

"Not everyone who sits up close is loaded. Some people have just decided that if they have any extra money, they're going to spend it on this, because it means that much to them."

This exactly, I'm short it hurts even worse when the guys drifing in without a ticket are like 6ft tall, I hate to be mean but come'on man cut me some slack. I really couldn't afford the ticket I bought but I really wanted a prime experience...I don't mind if you driftin for 1 song if it is a fav but not the whole darn set.

Sometimes the people who ask others to sit are the ones with Parkinson's disease who can't stand for three hours solid.

isn't there a handicap section at most venues?

• Like 1

The sitting/standing issue at gigs was bound to come up. I'm short but for me to expect someone to sit just so that MY view isn't blocked isn't reasonable.

At the same time, I hate the holier than thou condecending attitude that some folks have for those that sit. Counterparts tour, 2nd row a few meters from Lifeson: I stood throughout, my buddy did too, our other buddy simply couldn't due to a lifelong knee problem. He stood for probably half the gig then cheered and sang while sitting. YET some elitists on this very board would probably rip him because he was sitting

• Like 1

Yes, usually for those in wheelchairs. But someone with the early stages of Parkinson's (or with an injury, as in the post above) is not visibly disabled and for most part can function normally, but will need to sit. My point is that not everyone who asks those around them to sit is doing it because they are boring/ texting/ deciding what food to buy. Some buy a seated ticket as opposed to a standing ticket, because they need to sit.

The sitting/standing issue at gigs was bound to come up. I'm short but for me to expect someone to sit just so that MY view isn't blocked isn't reasonable.

At the same time, I hate the holier than thou condecending attitude that some folks have for those that sit. Counterparts tour, 2nd row a few meters from Lifeson: I stood throughout, my buddy did too, our other buddy simply couldn't due to a lifelong knee problem. He stood for probably half the gig then cheered and sang while sitting. YET some elitists on this very board would probably rip him because he was sitting

no, I sat during bravado and several other tunes at my 2nd CA show. and not because I was blocking anyone's view (I wasn't), I did it because I was feeling tired and wanted to save some of my energy for the last 6 songs or so. I don't rip people who sit and watch the show and enjoy themselves, I do get a little annoyed when the sitters bitch and moan and try to get EVERYONE to sit

• Like 1

Yes, usually for those in wheelchairs. But someone with the early stages of Parkinson's (or with an injury, as in the post above) is not visibly disabled and for most part can function normally, but will need to sit. My point is that not everyone who asks those around them to sit is doing it because they are boring/ texting/ deciding what food to buy. Some buy a seated ticket as opposed to a standing ticket, because they need to sit.

although I'd sit for a disabled person if they asked me and told me they were disabled, I really think that sort of thing should be taken up with the venue beforehand.

although I'd sit for a disabled person if they asked me and told me they were disabled, I really think that sort of thing should be taken up with the venue beforehand.

You're missing my pooint completely. :eh:

For the record, I just can't believe people who say others should sit at a rock concert. I just can't wrap my head around it? It's a concert.

I know people are disabled and cannot stand, and may not be in the handicapped section. How is everyone around them to know? Even my dad who physically cannot stand up for more than 5 minutes at a time and is in an electric wheelchair says the same thing: "I will never ask or expect anyone to sit at a concert just so I can see. Hell no."

• Like 1

That happens

For the record, I just can't believe people who say others should sit at a rock concert. I just can't wrap my head around it? It's a concert.

I know people are disabled and cannot stand, and may not be in the handicapped section. How is everyone around them to know? Even my dad who physically cannot stand up for more than 5 minutes at a time and is in an electric wheelchair says the same thing: "I will never ask or expect anyone to sit at a concert just so I can see. Hell no."

My point to bathory (and LedRush) was that it's incorrect to assume that people who sit are just doing it to be boring. And if someone asks you politely to sit at a concert, consider that perhaps they have a good reason to ask, before assuming otherwise. :)

• Like 1

My point to bathory (and LedRush) was that it's incorrect to assume that people who sit are just doing it to be boring. And if someone asks you politely to sit at a concert, consider that perhaps they have a good reason to ask, before assuming otherwise. :)

I don't think that anybody has the right to ask another person to sit at a ROCK concert. If somebody has health issues/concerns, they can sit in a section that is made specifically for those that do. I would be very upset if somebody wanted me to sit at a Rush concert. Also, I have knee/hip/neck/back issues as well and sometimes have to sit myself but you're not going to see me asking everybody else to just because I need to. :|

• Like 1

Listen, sometimes it's hard for older people or people with injuries or physical limitations to stand for an entire show. (Though the 3 hour statement is a red herring - There are intermissions and people can also sit for a few songs while they rest and then stand again...as someone with severe arthritis that's what I do.) But for those people we have wheelchair and handicapped seats, which usually go unused. If you want to sit in the crowd, you really shouldn't be complaining about others standing.

• Like 1

At a Rush show I've never seen a distinction between tickets used for sitting and tickets used for standing.

I never thought about the sitting standing thing. I really only go to Rush shows and well....everyone stands the whole time(execpt for AC where everyone sat, and it felt weird)

I feel for someone who is unable to stand for that length of time but I have to agree with others I would not enjoy the show as much if I had to sit, I would for a favorite song or two but I doubt my sitting would allow anyone behind me to see much more, since I am usually pretty far back anyway and quite short.

I had an issue with a very tall person standing in front of me who did not hold the ticket for that seat, and also a 10 year old who was standing on the seat(making him taller than the 6ft guy) who also did not hold the ticket for that seat. Hey if you bought that 400 dollar ticket and you are taller than me than stand all you want, you paid for the right to.

• Like 2

That happens

I get your point, I'm arguing against it. sorry you have parkinsons, and sorry johnnyblaze likes to sew quilts at shows instead of standing.

• Like 1

and I never assumed that people do it JUST to be boring. but the fact is, most of the people who sit at rush gigs don't have parkinsons or any disease, they're doing it because they just wanna sit. and that's fine if you like to "absorb" the music or whatever, I do too sometimes, but you shouldn't bitch at others for standing just because YOU decided to sit and go over your finances or something during a rush concert.

I'd like to see you guys at a metal show. try telling everyone to sit down so you can text without anyone in front of you at a slayer gig

At a Rush show I've never seen a distinction between tickets used for sitting and tickets used for standing.

there aren't any!