Can We Talk About Concert Etiquette?

sun dog

No audience members should have electronic devices of any kind in the concert hall - it is just RUDE

I can see how using or overusing them can be rude but how can simply having them be rude?

Here is my point. If you are there to watch the show, then watch the feckin show - ok?
  • Like 1

See, I'm torn on this one. I know what it's like to be the only person in the whole block at a concert who is actually getting into the music, but I also appreciate beiing able to find footage of any concert on Youtube. :eh:
  • Like 3

Speaking of concert etiquette, my pet peeve is for those scrims when the lads toss t-shirts. In Red Deer I was lucky enough to make a clean catch of a shirt tossed by Geddy. The absolute highlight of a wonderful evening. Pissant beside me snatches it from my two-hand grip and stuffs it in his shirt. That kind of thing just grinds my gears.

Seriously? That's terrible! I can't believe some people are capable of being that asshole-ish. I think if it had been me, I would have fought for it. To my detriment, of course, me being a smallish girl. :/ But I would sure let out the tigers if someone tried to eff with my Rush stuff.

• Like 3

What really turned me off during the Vancouver show in July was having three guys leave for beer during Neil's first drum solo. They all left about 20 seconds apart and got pissed off at me and the guy beside me for telling them to stop distracting us from Neil and all his awesomeness.

And remember that guy that was next to me, and close to you, jeering at everyone to not be such a wussy non-American crowd? Gosh, he was loud and obnoxious. I think his girlfriend was a bit embarrassed, but didn't say anything to try to tone him down. It's really rude when someone is saying that everyone else isn't showing their band appreciation as much as that one person is - I don't need to yell and scream and bash everyone around me with flailing arms to be showing my appreciation of the show. Some wiggling of my booty and other parts is sufficient movement for me, and I save my vocal chords for woo-hooing my delight between songs and singing along with Geddy.

What really turned me off during the Vancouver show in July was having three guys leave for beer during Neil's first drum solo. They all left about 20 seconds apart and got pissed off at me and the guy beside me for telling them to stop distracting us from Neil and all his awesomeness.

And remember that guy that was next to me, and close to you, jeering at everyone to not be such a wussy non-American crowd? Gosh, he was loud and obnoxious. I think his girlfriend was a bit embarrassed, but didn't say anything to try to tone him down. It's really rude when someone is saying that everyone else isn't showing their band appreciation as much as that one person is - I don't need to yell and scream and bash everyone around me with flailing arms to be showing my appreciation of the show. Some wiggling of my booty and other parts is sufficient movement for me, and I save my vocal chords for woo-hooing my delight between songs and singing along with Geddy.

Either that guy wasn't near me or I was zoned in on Geddy and didn't notice him but that sounds horrible.

Either that guy wasn't near me or I was zoned in on Geddy and didn't notice him but that sounds horrible.

Hmm, thought you mentioned hearing him. Well, if he wasn't bothering you that much, great! And I sure would have been zoned in on Geddy. Bet you had a great view, so far on the right side!

Speaking of concert etiquette, my pet peeve is for those scrims when the lads toss t-shirts. In Red Deer I was lucky enough to make a clean catch of a shirt tossed by Geddy. The absolute highlight of a wonderful evening. Pissant beside me snatches it from my two-hand grip and stuffs it in his shirt. That kind of thing just grinds my gears.

Seriously? That's terrible! I can't believe some people are capable of being that asshole-ish. I think if it had been me, I would have fought for it. To my detriment, of course, me being a smallish girl. :/ But I would sure let out the tigers if someone tried to eff with my Rush stuff.

Somebody must have seen it? Why didn't they help? Damnit, I would have fought for that! I'm 6,2" but not very strong but when I throw the switch I can go berserk. How can these people sleep at night?! :rage:

Are you KIDDING me?! Pissant, indeed!! >:/

Yeah, that sucks. Pisses me off. One time at a CT show, Rick pointed right at me and threw his water bottle at me. Why he chose to give me his water bottle I have no idea- even more so, why I WANTED his water bottle I still don't know, but all I thought of in my teenage fangirl mind was "OMG he's giving something right to me!!!! YES!!!"

He threw it right at me and out of nowhere, this guy darts out from behind me, grabs the water bottle, waves it in my face & runs away. Rick was actually pretty mad, got on the microphone and tore him a new one. "That was NOT for YOU, young man." and he apologized to me.

I was so mad >.<

You know, regardless of smart phones and the like, etiquette in other situations is often missing so why would there be any at a gig?

doesn't mean there SHOULDN'T be etiquette

Well, of course. A dark, loud concert hall where a good percentage of folks are loaded and concentrated on their own kicks isn't a place where I'd EXPECT etiquette.

Put it this way: I take a very crowded train every day and know it'll be filled with greedy, rude assholes who will feign sleep in order to NOT give up their seat to someone physically handicapped or a pregnant woman carrying a toddler. Sure, those a-holes SHOULD be courteous, have some manners and all that but they aren't. I'm kind of shocked when I DO see someone with etiquette. Sad but true

Here's my little rant list...

1. People who talk during the show. I don't pay over $100.00-300.00 PER ticket + travel expenses to hear somebody other than the band. If you're going to talk to your friend over the music then STFU and go out to the f-ing lobby before I shove my 4" platform wedges where the sun does not go.

2. People who go to make their girlfriend/boyfriend happy. At the Denver show I was in the third row on Alex's side and in front of us was some middle-aged guy with a couple of extra bucks to spend who had decided to bring his much-younger wife and her equally-as-young friend. Awesome, I thought, hot chicks my age that dig Rush.These girls had on Rush shirts that they had shredded but about two songs in it became apparent that they knew zero Rush songs and had zero interest and spent most of their time on beer runs and yapping with each other after they realized Alex was not going to give them any picks because he could tell they were posers. Keep your non-interested significant others at home please. PLEASE.

3. People who leave their sections and try to get up front. I work really hard and when I go to a Rush show, that's my vacation for the year, that's it. I probably won't be going anywhere else or spending my money on things other than the bill for the credit card I used to pay for my tickets and travel. Don't try to sneak up to the front row for pictures and block the people who wanted to be up there badly enough they practically (in some cases) had to sell their organs to get there.

4. People who scream "Neil Peart you Badass Mother f*cker!!!!!" every few seconds between getting high and drunk.

5. Fans that are just there to hear songs from the 70's, that they remember from high school, and then become pissy bitches once Geddy starts jamming out something from Power Windows or Clockwork Angels and then doesn't play Tom Sawyer. Check the set list before you go and if you don't want to hear those songs then save your money. I don't want to hear you complaining to your friends about how you don't know any of the songs. Wahhhhh :rage:

:rantoff:

Edited by gangsterfurious
  • Like 7

Pretty much any situation where a large group of strangers gathers together and expected to behave in a cohesive manner is bound to end up in disappointment.

Hell just going to the grocery store is nauseating. If driving a car requires a license, so should being able to handle a shopping cart in a normal human manner. Because some people are truly incapable.

• Like 2

This thread kicks ass!!!

I am definitely in favor of banning cell phones at concerts. A)Your brain will make memories just like it did in the 1980s, before all this digital crap was invented, and B)There will be a DVD, dumbass.

I "camel up" on plenty of water BEFORE the show, so I don't have to leave my seat. I can understand getting a.water at intermission, but I see people making beer runs every 20 seconds. I know the beer sales probably keep my ticket price down, but, gees, you could buy 20 twelve packs for the price of concert beers.

Talking during the show is insane. You should be singing and or yelling if you were a true.fan.

Some people just have more $ than sense. I wouldn't go to a concert or sporting event just to say I was there. I work too hard to waste money. I only attend live events for things I'm passionate about.

• Like 2

Wow, it must be hard going through life when so much pisses you off.

As long as people don't block me with signs or something and don't constantly yell, I don't really care what they do, with the possible exception of smoking a lot of cigarettes. I don't expect everyone to conform to my idea of what makes an enjoyable concert.

I will say that when I go to concerts by myself or with friends, I don't take too many pics. But my wife likes to take a lot of pics and record my favorite songs. I sometimes get annoyed as is rather just watch the concert, but I'm really happy I have those pics after the concert.

And I will check my phone several times during a show to check the set list so I know if, for example, Stick it Out or Territories is coming up and I can go get a beer or smoke a bowl.

• Like 2

I know the feeling... it makes you sooooo angry when you get someting from the guys and some idiot just takes it away from you. This story really takes the biscuit along with the one from another fan who had someting similar like this t-shirt story happening to him. To steal something from a fan that he or she has caught directly is sooooo low. This happened to me as well with a pick from Alex. Alex especially aimed it at me and I touched it while trying to catch it and then it bounced off my hand. Then some idiot behind me snatched it away from me. He even grinned at me with an evil smile on his face and then tucked it slowly into his pocket... grrrrr... These people are so unbelievable... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

• Like 1

I know the feeling... it makes you sooooo angry when you get someting from the guys and some idiot just takes it away from you. This story really takes the biscuit along with the one from another fan who had someting similar like this t-shirt story happening to him. To steal something from a fan that he or she has caught directly is sooooo low. This happened to me as well with a pick from Alex. Alex especially aimed it at me and I touched it while trying to catch it and then it bounced off my hand. Then some idiot behind me snatched it away from me. He even grinned at me with an evil smile on his face and then tucked it slowly into his pocket... grrrrr... These people are so unbelievable... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

This makes me so angry! I've seen (and heard of) so many cases where the guys will toss a girl fan a shirt and some troll will literally yank it out of their hands!

• Like 1

And on the subject of taking pics during a show. I went to six shows this tour and at each show I quickly snapped some pics during the show. I made sure that I did that really quickly, so that it would not interfere too much with my own concert experience and that of others and I've tried not to irritate neighbours with my camera whilst doing that. Because I had seen footage of the show on YT before I went to my first show I knew from which parts I'd love to have my own digital memories next to the many other real ones in my head. That made it easy to compile a nice set of pics that I love to share with you all, but way after the shows... no way I'm gonna waste my time posting stuff on FB or texting or whatever other distracting things you can do on a mobile device during a show. That is such a waste of time IMHO. Even taking just a couple of pics draws your attention away from the songs you're hearing and seeing being performed in front of you. Luckily over the years I have gotten some experience of taking pics quickly at rockshows because I sometimes get photopasses for shows of other artists. Edited by Catch The Mystery
  • Like 1

This makes me so angry! I've seen (and heard of) so many cases where the guys will toss a girl fan a shirt and some troll will literally yank it out of their hands!

Hahaha, so we have real Rush fans :cheerleader: :7up: and really evil Rush trolls :bang bang: :16ton:

• Like 1

As long as people don't block me with signs or something and don't constantly yell, I don't really care what they do, with the possible exception of smoking a lot of cigarettes. I don't expect everyone to conform to my idea of what makes an enjoyable concert.

I will say that when I go to concerts by myself or with friends, I don't take too many pics. But my wife likes to take a lot of pics and record my favorite songs. I sometimes get annoyed as is rather just watch the concert, but I'm really happy I have those pics after the concert.

And I will check my phone several times during a show to check the set list so I know if, for example, Stick it Out or Territories is coming up and I can go get a beer or smoke a bowl.

i don't have to tell you that you're free to do what you want during the show......

for me, every song, every moment rush is playing is precious, no way I'm missing Stick It Out or Territories or anything else....

plenty of time before the show and intermission to light up the sweet herb if so desired.....and of course, in some venues, its going on all around during the show....

Cellphones at concerts are annoying but cellphones in a movie theater are unbearable. You've got a bright light in a dark room and your making loud tapping noises on it. Put that thing away and enjoy your evening.

This is why I refuse to go to a theatre now. People talking, texting, taking calls, terrible tasting oil drenched popcorn. It's much easier to be at home with HD on demand, better sound, better snacks, adult beverages, and I can pause it to go to the bathroom.

Sorry for going off topic. I agree wholeheartedly. Take a few pics or video clips and put your phone away.

i don't have to tell you that you're free to do what you want during the show......

for me, every song, every moment rush is playing is precious, no way I'm missing Stick It Out or Territories or anything else....

plenty of time before the show and intermission to light up the sweet herb if so desired.....and of course, in some venues, its going on all around during the show....

Fair enough. I go to at least 3 shows every leg of each tour and would never miss out on a chance to see a song I haven't seen live before, even if it's not my favorite. But once I've seen them all, the weakest one or two are good opportunities to beat lines or have a toke.

• Like 1

Fair enough. I go to at least 3 shows every leg of each tour and would never miss out on a chance to see a song I haven't seen live before, even if it's not my favorite. But once I've seen them all, the weakest one or two are good opportunities to beat lines or have a toke.

I will say fair enough back to you....its your decision how you enjoy the evening...

i