Can We Talk About Concert Etiquette?

sun dog

the people who try to get everyone to sit at rush concerts are the same people who text and spend more time deciding what to get on their 12 dollar hot dog than watching the band

Sometimes the people who ask others to sit are the ones with Parkinson's disease who can't stand for three hours solid.

Listen, sometimes it's hard for older people or people with injuries or physical limitations to stand for an entire show. (Though the 3 hour statement is a red herring - There are intermissions and people can also sit for a few songs while they rest and then stand again...as someone with severe arthritis that's what I do.) But for those people we have wheelchair and handicapped seats, which usually go unused. If you want to sit in the crowd, you really shouldn't be complaining about others standing.

exactly. and the handicap seats are usually pretty good, and the venue will be ready and willing to put you there at your request.

• Like 1

For the record, I just can't believe people who say others should sit at a rock concert. I just can't wrap my head around it? It's a concert.

I know people are disabled and cannot stand, and may not be in the handicapped section. How is everyone around them to know? Even my dad who physically cannot stand up for more than 5 minutes at a time and is in an electric wheelchair says the same thing: "I will never ask or expect anyone to sit at a concert just so I can see. Hell no."

My point to bathory (and LedRush) was that it's incorrect to assume that people who sit are just doing it to be boring. And if someone asks you politely to sit at a concert, consider that perhaps they have a good reason to ask, before assuming otherwise. :)

I don't think that anybody has the right to ask another person to sit at a ROCK concert. If somebody has health issues/concerns, they can sit in a section that is made specifically for those that do. I would be very upset if somebody wanted me to sit at a Rush concert. Also, I have knee/hip/neck/back issues as well and sometimes have to sit myself but you're not going to see me asking everybody else to just because I need to. :|

I think the issue is that many rush fans don't see the group as a ROCK band. they see them as the almighty progressive overlords and treat their concerts like a mozart symphony or some shit. you know the type. rush fans who don't like much of anything louder or heavier than styx or kansas. and then those people are at the concerts with the more metal/hard rock-oriented rush fans, and that's why the whole sitting vs standing debate exists. it's actually kind of a testament to how great rush is - that they attract so many different types of people. the problem with them being a fairly high-brow group (by rock standards) is that this type of fan ("how dareth thy stand at a concert?" "that man has had 2 beers! he's drunk I say, get him out of here!") often clashes with the folks who are there to rock out.

• Like 1

For the record, I just can't believe people who say others should sit at a rock concert. I just can't wrap my head around it? It's a concert.

I know people are disabled and cannot stand, and may not be in the handicapped section. How is everyone around them to know? Even my dad who physically cannot stand up for more than 5 minutes at a time and is in an electric wheelchair says the same thing: "I will never ask or expect anyone to sit at a concert just so I can see. Hell no."

My point to bathory (and LedRush) was that it's incorrect to assume that people who sit are just doing it to be boring. And if someone asks you politely to sit at a concert, consider that perhaps they have a good reason to ask, before assuming otherwise. :)

I don't think that anybody has the right to ask another person to sit at a ROCK concert. If somebody has health issues/concerns, they can sit in a section that is made specifically for those that do. I would be very upset if somebody wanted me to sit at a Rush concert. Also, I have knee/hip/neck/back issues as well and sometimes have to sit myself but you're not going to see me asking everybody else to just because I need to. :|

Well, there are two ways of asking as I see it. One is the polite way and the other is more rhetorical. No harm in getting asked since you are entitled to to whatever answer you give :)

• Like 2

and I never assumed that people do it JUST to be boring. but the fact is, most of the people who sit at rush gigs don't have parkinsons or any disease, they're doing it because they just wanna sit. and that's fine if you like to "absorb" the music or whatever, I do too sometimes, but you shouldn't bitch at others for standing just because YOU decided to sit and go over your finances or something during a rush concert.

I'd like to see you guys at a metal show. try telling everyone to sit down so you can text without anyone in front of you at a slayer gig

Just to be clear, I don't bitch at people who stand- I like to stand, too (well, jump around mostly). It was your comment that "the people who try to get everyone to sit at rush concerts are the same people who text and spend more time deciding what to get on their 12 dollar hot dog than watching the band" that I was referring to, as I thought you should be aware that sometimes people have a genuine reason for sitting.

I've never asked anyone else to sit down, but I always like to make sure the people behind me are standing before I do (or else, they'd have to stand to see over me). Maybe it's because I'm English, after all I apologise to people who step on my toe. But I enjoy the concert more if I think the people around me are having fun, anyway.

I saw Slayer in 1990 I think, I seem to recall that most of the fans there were polite enough, just like at a Rush gig. I took my kid to a Metallica gig once and some people in front of us sat down (without being asked) so that she could see. Now, that was nice. I bought them a beer afterwards.

• Like 2

I'd like to add a different perspective on the stand/sit issue here. I am very tall, 6'7" and as such I have adopted a strategy to try to help the people behind me have a chance to see the stage at a show like a Rush show where people rarely if ever sit. What I do is sit on the top of my chair back and that makes me about the same height as the other folks around me thus giving the person behind me a less obstructed view. It isn't easy on the butt, but I'm trying to help the more um, vertically challenged folks. LOL Anyway, the problem is this; the last Rush gig I was at and one other time about 15 years ago at The Hollywood Bowl (Santana IIRC but might have been Page & Plant) the guy behind me started bitching at me about my back and butt invading his precious fukking space. On both occasions I tried very patiently and politely to explain to them why I was doing what I was doing and told them how tall I was, stood up so they could see how tall I am and so forth. The guy at the Bowl apologized and said thanks for trying to help and go ahead and sit back down so he could see. We toasted and the show was enjoyed by all even if he was likely crowded.

Unfortunately, the dickhead at the Rush show this past July wasn't going to listen to anything I said. He was drunk and had the often encountered "little guy syndrome" and despite me trying to explain nicely why I was doing what I was doing he just continued to be an asshole and culminated it with a "fukk you". So, I politely said "fukk you" back at him and stood as tall as I could the rest of the show likely making his view being that of my back the rest of the night. If you're reading this asshole, how'd you like the show? You know if the guy had said something about how he'd rather me stand than invade his precious space then I would've likely have tried something to help him out but since he was a total tool, no chance.

So, if there's a guy in front of you doing what I described and it's bothering you, perhaps asking him politely why he is sitting on the top of the chair back will make the rest of your viewing experience a bit better.

• Like 4

and I never assumed that people do it JUST to be boring. but the fact is, most of the people who sit at rush gigs don't have parkinsons or any disease, they're doing it because they just wanna sit. and that's fine if you like to "absorb" the music or whatever, I do too sometimes, but you shouldn't bitch at others for standing just because YOU decided to sit and go over your finances or something during a rush concert.

I'd like to see you guys at a metal show. try telling everyone to sit down so you can text without anyone in front of you at a slayer gig

Just to be clear, I don't bitch at people who stand- I like to stand, too (well, jump around mostly). It was your comment that "the people who try to get everyone to sit at rush concerts are the same people who text and spend more time deciding what to get on their 12 dollar hot dog than watching the band" that I was referring to, as I thought you should be aware that sometimes people have a genuine reason for sitting.

I've never asked anyone else to sit down, but I always like to make sure the people behind me are standing before I do (or else, they'd have to stand to see over me). Maybe it's because I'm English, after all I apologise to people who step on my toe. But I enjoy the concert more if I think the people around me are having fun, anyway.

I saw Slayer in 1990 I think, I seem to recall that most of the fans there were polite enough, just like at a Rush gig. I took my kid to a Metallica gig once and some people in front of us sat down (without being asked) so that she could see. Now, that was nice. I bought them a beer afterwards.

I pretty much just go with the flow at any concert, and I wasn't saying that you specifically were asking people to sit at gigs. I had an experience on the lawn on the time machine tour with the type of asshole fan I describe in many of these concert etiquette threads, and he tried several times to get me and my buddy to sit down. I told him it was the lawn, he was free to move a few inches to the left or right and he'd be able to see just fine, not to mention there are big ass screens everywhere that display the show and that no one else in my area had once complained to me about their vision. this dude was drunk out of his mind, being rude from the first encounter, and I wasn't gonna do anything to please this dickhead. he left during closer to the heart if I remember correctly.

and I wasn't saying metal fans weren't polite, I just meant that the way of thinking shared by a lot of rush fans (everyone should sit perfectly still, shut up, watch the band, and eat 50 dollars worth of concert hall hot dogs) wouldn't fly at a slayer gig. except for maybe the hot dog part.

• Like 2

the people who try to get everyone to sit at rush concerts are the same people who text and spend more time deciding what to get on their 12 dollar hot dog than watching the band

Sometimes the people who ask others to sit are the ones with Parkinson's disease who can't stand for three hours solid.

isn't there a handicap section at most venues?

Yes, usually for those in wheelchairs. But someone with the early stages of Parkinson's (or with an injury, as in the post above) is not visibly disabled and for most part can function normally, but will need to sit. My point is that not everyone who asks those around them to sit is doing it because they are boring/ texting/ deciding what food to buy. Some buy a seated ticket as opposed to a standing ticket, because they need to sit.

although I'd sit for a disabled person if they asked me and told me they were disabled, I really think that sort of thing should be taken up with the venue beforehand.

You're missing my pooint completely. :eh:

That happens

I get your point, I'm arguing against it. sorry you have parkinsons, and sorry johnnyblaze likes to sew quilts at shows instead of standing.

You obviously don't get my point. IF you read what I posted you would've read that I DON'T sit. I stand, cheer, sing, AND don't tell anyone to sit, stand , move, turn off their cell, piss or shit but STILL you're going on about that f***ing quilt?! At least insult me with something that applies to what I said

Yes, usually for those in wheelchairs. But someone with the early stages of Parkinson's (or with an injury, as in the post above) is not visibly disabled and for most part can function normally, but will need to sit. My point is that not everyone who asks those around them to sit is doing it because they are boring/ texting/ deciding what food to buy. Some buy a seated ticket as opposed to a standing ticket, because they need to sit.

although I'd sit for a disabled person if they asked me and told me they were disabled, I really think that sort of thing should be taken up with the venue beforehand.

That happens

I get your point, I'm arguing against it. sorry you have parkinsons, and sorry johnnyblaze likes to sew quilts at shows instead of standing.

You obviously don't get my point. IF you read what I posted you would've read that I DON'T sit. I stand, cheer, sing, AND don't tell anyone to sit, stand , move, turn off their cell, piss or shit but STILL you're going on about that f***ing quilt?! At least insult me with something that applies to what I said

chill

That happens

chill

I am chill. Don't be an arrogant dick trying to look cool yet again
  • Like 1

Everybody so far has raised the valid points, basically don't be a douchebag. A lot has to do with seating and venue. I don't do lawn admisson at outdoor venues because in open areas like that you become fair game. No thanks IMHO. Hit a pre-concert party bar, and/or get your buzz on in the parking lot beforehand, and save the $10 beers at the venue for the fools.

Some venues it can't be helped. From the 60's to the 80's I attended many a concert at a place I lovingly call "The House that Rock Built"-Cobo Arena in Detroit. You couldn't avoid a contact high from all the people firing something up, and the place could get pretty rowdy, so you just went with the flow.

The all time weirdest was seeing Jon-Luc Ponty at Detroit's Fisher Theater, a venue then primarily used for plays and musicals. For the first two songs everyone sat around listening to the music almost confused, nobody doing anything. The start of the third song was like a signal, and suddenly folks started lighting up and lightening up.

For Clockwork Angels at BB&T Center I was in the last row of the floor area, just to the right of the mixing boards. If I got a bit cramped it was no big deal to step over my chair and mill about on the open area between the back of the floor and the wall in front of the arena seating. People would stand there and groove or occasionally stop and shoot a picture, but the area stayed open enough to walk through. During the last half of the second set we had that plus a number of air jammers, myself included, rocking our a**es off, but still being cool. It was probably one of my better seats for a concert.

At the Rush shows i've been to, I have had seats on the 2nd, 3rd tiers and also on the floor. On the floor, obviously we had to stand the whole show - not a problem as i've stood at many shows before and it doesn't detract from the enjoyment. When in the 2nd and 3rd tiers, I was sat - as were everyone else in these seats. Of course people stand and cheer when their fave song comes on, but rarely do they stand and dance around for the whole song - there just isn't room to do that at the arenas I have been to in the UK.

As for Slayer, I have seen them in small concert halls and large arenas (large for the UK anyway). In 1988 at the Manchester Apollo (Capacity: 2693 (seated events); 3500 (standing events)) I saw Slayer supported by Nuclear Assault. Unbelievably for the bands playing, there was only a small area at the front that was standing and the rest was seated. Seeing them at Sheffield Arena, and not having floor tickets showed just how much Slayer do not belong in arenas(IMHO). Their show is too intense and I don't think it translates in a large arena. Also saw them at Download 2004 where they played on the second stage using their full stage equipment. They were supposed to be on the main stage, but their equipment was late arriving so they went on 2nd stage.

One thing that really bugs me is when people are trying to have conversations, talking loudly over the music. I saw Tool last year, and I was in the nosebleeds, and everyone around me is chatting the breeze, while I'm trying to listen to my favorite song (Pushit) live.
  • Like 1

When I go to a concert, everyone is filming and photographing themselves and then posting the pictures right away. It is almost as if your experiences don’t count unless you have an audience watching them.

Whatever happened to just enjoying the experience? I'm not a luddite, and I'm not saying that it's always a bad thing. I'm strictly talking about the level of use, which seems to be ever ticking upward.

That kind of stuff, having to post one's experiences for the world to see is a mental disease that's narcissistic in nature. What we have today is a society full of people that have been given the technology to "be on TV" as it were, so they're exercising their options in that regard.

As you state, think about what it says about someone that can only seem to enjoy something when they know that others can see what they're doing. And if that's not the case, why not just take a few pics and hit facebook and whatnot after the show or the next day.

I hear ya, but what really grinds my axe is that people exhibit the same exact behavior while driving. e.g., I'm sitting at a light about 6 cars back, the light turns green, all the cars go except for the clown in front of me who's obviously texting. So I give a couple of relatively polite taps on my horn telling the assclown to wake up and go and he's looking in his sideview mirror at me and flips me off while sitting still at a green light with about a dozen cars behind me at a GREEN light.

Finally I honk not so politely. Anyway, the light changes, we both made our left hand turns into one of three varying lanes, now all of a sudden the asshole is in a huge f'ing hurry and is gunning it to try to prevent me from getting to the highway ramp first. We both get on the highway and I start driving like I always do and get off at the next exit by which time he's several cars behind me. He puts his car in park, gets out, and walks up to my car in a threatening manner whereupon I made it beyond clear to him that if he reached into my car his arm would be broken in multiple spots, and then exclaims, "what, you don't text in your car?" to which I astonishingly said "No, not at all, but damn sure not at a GREEN f'ing light." And he looks at me like I'm nuts.

And we wonder what's going to happen when the shit hits the fan in this country and the fights are over real things like food.

Society today is sick and for once I wouldn't mind living way out in the f'ing country somewhere. Hate to say it, but that's what society has been reduced to.

• Like 5

No biggie as far as I'm concerned getting a picture or two...I grab a bunch and a few MIGHT be worth it...but whatever floats your boat...that doesn't bother me...it's the people that just talk the WHOLE WAY THROUGH A SHOW...

STFU already!!!!

• Like 1

When I go to a concert, everyone is filming and photographing themselves and then posting the pictures right away. It is almost as if your experiences don’t count unless you have an audience watching them.

Whatever happened to just enjoying the experience? I'm not a luddite, and I'm not saying that it's always a bad thing. I'm strictly talking about the level of use, which seems to be ever ticking upward.

That kind of stuff, having to post one's experiences for the world to see is a mental disease that's narcissistic in nature. What we have today is a society full of people that have been given the technology to "be on TV" as it were, so they're exercising their options in that regard.

As you state, think about what it says about someone that can only seem to enjoy something when they know that others can see what they're doing. And if that's not the case, why not just take a few pics and hit facebook and whatnot after the show or the next day.

I hear ya, but what really grinds my axe is that people exhibit the same exact behavior while driving. e.g., I'm sitting at a light about 6 cars back, the light turns green, all the cars go except for the clown in front of me who's obviously texting. So I give a couple of relatively polite taps on my horn telling the assclown to wake up and go and he's looking in his sideview mirror at me and flips me off while sitting still at a green light with about a dozen cars behind me at a GREEN light.

Finally I honk not so politely. Anyway, the light changes, we both made our left hand turns into one of three varying lanes, now all of a sudden the asshole is in a huge f'ing hurry and is gunning it to try to prevent me from getting to the highway ramp first. We both get on the highway and I start driving like I always do and get off at the next exit by which time he's several cars behind me. He puts his car in park, gets out, and walks up to my car in a threatening manner whereupon I made it beyond clear to him that if he reached into my car his arm would be broken in multiple spots, and then exclaims, "what, you don't text in your car?" to which I astonishingly said "No, not at all, but damn sure not at a GREEN f'ing light." And he looks at me like I'm nuts.

And we wonder what's going to happen when the shit hits the fan in this country and the fights are over real things like food.

Society today is sick and for once I wouldn't mind living way out in the f'ing country somewhere. Hate to say it, but that's what society has been reduced to.

Oh my GOD. You sound juuuust like my husband. He HATES drivers like that.

One time a guy cut us off and almost slammed into us- with our then-baby daughter in the backseat. Jeff flipped the driver off, making him get out of his car and try to stomp and act all tough on his way over to our car.

Jeff got right on out, rolled his sleeves up and waited. The other guy ran back to his car. Trying to act tough after almost smashing into another car!! what an idiot!!!

I too hate people most days.

that sense of entitlement is turning so many people into inconsiderate- and yes, stupid- dolts.

when I see Rush I normally bring a camera and snap a few photos throughout the night, however I don't have it out the entire time because it's annoying and rude to the people around me. Its important to just put the devices away and enjoy the night!!!

When I first got a smart phone with photo/video, I attempted to video a song or two at a concert. Then realized I never had that technology for the first 30 years of going to concerts and live shows -- and I never seemed to feel like I needed.

I now prefer to videotape with my eyes and memory. That's enough.

I do like taking pictures of friends at the venue before the show starts.

Nice to know that Geddy doesn't have a problem with us diehard fans using our cameras during a show every now and then ;)

"And if you don't document it, fans will with bootlegs and the quality won't be there.

Yeah, exactly, and you can't control that, and God bless them. They're going to shoot on their camera phones and they're going to take their own personal memory away, and that's fine with me."

"It doesn't really bother me. Sometimes there will be a guy who is holding a camera phone and recording the entire song (laughs) and you just want to look at him and go, "Really?" But for the most part, that's their own personal thing that they show their friends. I don't have a problem with that."

• Like 2

I sort of agree with the theory Garth Brooks eschewed while he was at his peak(though John Lennon's famous "people in the cheap seats clap and the rest of you rattle your jewelry" may have been the most popular quote to make this point) - That the guy sitting in the worst seat in the house may be a bigger fan than the guy front row center who may be there because of a connection and not to see the artist. Which may explain why I've never had too many problems(outside of the standers and the guys making frequent beer runs); because I've never sat in the most expensive seats for a Rush show!!. Being middle class and in the middle priced seats may bring out the best fans, I guess. So to all the rich ranters out there-go cheap and stay away from those at the concert who may not know Rush the band from "Rush" the movie. Edited by jjgittes

What Gedsy really meant to say was:

"And if you don't document it, fans will with bootlegs and the profit won't be there"

Yet another misplaced comment from GR79 ('79? Must be the last time you bought a Rush release).

Do us all a favour and take the advices you always get and don't buy any of the upcoming releases and stay away from upcoming shows. And more important, don't respond to topics that contain any news on the band. There are a lot of threads where you can show your love for the (long gone) 70's.

Thank you!

Oh my GOD. You sound juuuust like my husband. He HATES drivers like that.

One time a guy cut us off and almost slammed into us- with our then-baby daughter in the backseat. Jeff flipped the driver off, making him get out of his car and try to stomp and act all tough on his way over to our car.

Jeff got right on out, rolled his sleeves up and waited. The other guy ran back to his car. Trying to act tough after almost smashing into another car!! what an idiot!!!

I too hate people most days.

that sense of entitlement is turning so many people into inconsiderate- and yes, stupid- dolts.

LOL, yeah, usually when truly seriously confronted my experiences are that people like that piss their pants.

I usually take it a step further. I hate fighting, see no need for it, etc. But we've got all these "tough guy" types, which are growing in number daily it seems, that can't seem to just leave things alone and are apparently so lacking in self-esteem that they feel the need to prove themselves. So when they approach me all tough like, usually asking me to start a fight w/ them, which makes me wonder to begin with (either kick my ass or move on), I'll just tell 'em, I don't fight but I will defend myself against someone that's trying to do me serious harm or kill me, and that as such I'm out to prove nothing, I'm out to defend myself and in that process one of us might die, literally die. I tell 'em that it could very well be me but that if that's what I have to do that's what I'll have to do. Then I re-ask them if they're trying to harm me.

That usually does it. Haven't had one taker in years. They usually get even more PO'd and leave or walk away. The key is trying not to get into those situations.

As to driving, Americans are weird in that regard. So much traffic could be mitigated if people just focused on their driving. In many parts of Europe it's illegal to eat, drink, play on a PC, use a phone (for any reason), etc., while driving, and people over there take driving much more seriously than they do here. Most people here don't even know the road rules, courtesies, and rights-of-way. It's astonishing, truly astonishing.

My pet peeve among any other, is that Americans think that driving is some kind of add-on to what they're already doing, not an activity that requires attention and focus by itself. I call cars "mobile entertainment centers" because that's what most people treat them as.

I drive only when I have to and it's usually for business. Trying to not waste time on the highways because of people that don't care about anyone else around them is among the most aggravating things in life to me.

Ah well, what're ya gonna do.

when I see Rush I normally bring a camera and snap a few photos throughout the night, however I don't have it out the entire time because it's annoying and rude to the people around me. Its important to just put the devices away and enjoy the night!!!

Well that's the big thing, how does one kick back and truly enjoy the show (or whatever) if one is more concerned about showing the rest of the world what they're doing throughout it.

I just don't get it.

It reminds me of a pilot in the military that I worked with that had a German wife. He bought her a new fur coat and on the night he bought it for her, a blisteringly cold night, he said that she wanted to walk up and down the streets so that everyone in town could see it. Clearly she was more concerned about everyone knowing about it than the fact that her husband had just given her this gift.

As I recall it was in the teens that night for temps. Anyway, in the office on Monday he talked about how irritated he was that she had to do that while he was freezing while walking through the small town, and said jokingly that he should have told her to hang the f'ing thing out the window and he would drive up and down the town streets all night. LOL

I really appreciate the pics that get posted here, those are cool, but if the people that posted them would be posting them all on facebook throughout the show they'd miss much of the show.

Strange.

Human behavior is beyond odd.