The Beatles: On Air - Live At The BBC Volume 2

Lerxster

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/28b24d13-98eb-4cf1-82bf-5acff22f5590_zps40e1bbb8.jpg

The Beatles have finally released the track list to their new BBC collection, called, On Air - Live at the BBC Volume 2. The set will be released on November 11th -- just short of 19 years after the first volume, Live At The BBC, which will also be reissued in remastered sound the same day. On Air is being released as double-CD and 180-gram vinyl packages with a 48-page booklet. On Air's 63 tracks, none of which overlaps with 1994's Live At The BBC, includes "37 previously unreleased performances and 23 previously unreleased recordings of in-studio banter and conversation between the band's members and their BBC radio hosts."

The BBC recordings have long been a treasure trove for bootleggers due to various radio specials over the years, which have rebroadcast both BBC reference discs and home recorded air checks -- with varying sound quality. Between March 1962 and June 1965, the "Fab Four" performed an astounding 275 different musical performances broadcast by the BBC across the U.K. The group played songs on 39 radio shows in 1963 alone -- which was the band's most busy year laying down tracks for the BBC. The Beatles played 88 distinct songs in their BBC sessions - some were recorded many times; others performed just once.

Paul McCartney commented on the band's performances: "There's a lot of energy and spirit. We are going for it, not holding back at all, trying to put in the best performance of our lifetimes. . . We'd been raised on the BBC radio programs. One of the big things in our week was Saturday Club -- this great show was playing the kind of music we loved, so that was something we really aspired to."

During his final in-depth TV interview in 1975 on NBC's Tomorrow Show, John Lennon explained that a major part of his and the Beatles' allure was the fact that they were never ashamed of their Liverpool roots: "We were the first working class singers that stayed working class, and pronounced it. 'Didn't try to change our accents, which in England were looked down upon -- probably still are -- like a Bronx accent, it's the equivalent to that."

Although original drummer Pete Best was on hand for the Beatles' initial BBC radio appearances -- like the 1994 BBC collection -- none of his performances have made the cut on the new set. The missing songs -- which have never been available in great quality are: Roy Orbison's "Dream Baby (How Long Must I Dream)," the Coasters' arrangement of "Besame Mucho," and Joe Brown's "A Picture of You,." Best, who says that he has had no substantial contact with any of the Beatles since the night before he was fired, feels that Ringo Starr walked into a much cushier job than he did upon joining the Beatles: "Y'know, when you think about it, the first trip out to Hamburg, (Germany), we were playing six, seven hours a night. And I think actually, when (laughs) Ringo joined they were playing 20 minutes, half-an-hour sessions, or something like that. So, I did a lot of the spade work, put the long hours in and he was the one who picked up the glory."

The tracklisting to The Beatles: On Air - Live At The BBC Volume 2 is:

•Disc One

And Here We Are Again (Speech)

WORDS OF LOVE

How About It, Gorgeous? (Speech)

DO YOU WANT TO KNOW A SECRET

LUCILLE

Hey, Paul... (Speech)

ANNA (GO TO HIM)

Hello! (Speech)

PLEASE PLEASE ME

MISERY

I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU

A Real Treat (Speech)

BOYS

Absolutely Fab (Speech)

CHAINS

ASK ME WHY

TILL THERE WAS YOU

LEND ME YOUR COMB

Lower 5E (Speech)

THE HIPPY HIPPY SHAKE

ROLL OVER BEETHOVEN

THERE'S A PLACE

Bumper Bundle (Speech)

P.S. I LOVE YOU

PLEASE MISTER POSTMAN

BEAUTIFUL DREAMER

DEVIL IN HER HEART

The 49 Weeks (Speech)

SURE TO FALL (IN LOVE WITH YOU)

Never Mind, Eh? (Speech)

TWIST AND SHOUT

Bye, Bye (speech)

John -- Pop Profile (Speech)

George -- Pop Profile (Speech)

•Disc Two

I SAW HER STANDING THERE

GLAD ALL OVER

Lift Lid Again (Speech)

I'LL GET YOU

SHE LOVES YOU

MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR SATURDAY CLUB

Now Hush, Hush (Speech)

FROM ME TO YOU

MONEY (THAT'S WHAT I WANT)

I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND

Brian Bathtubes (Speech)

THIS BOY

If I Wasn't In America (Speech)

I GOT A WOMAN

LONG TALL SALLY

IF I FELL

A Hard Job Writing Them (Speech)

AND I LOVE HER

Oh, Can't We? Yes We Can (Speech)

YOU CAN'T DO THAT

HONEY DON'T

I'LL FOLLOW THE SUN

Green With Black Shutters (Speech)

KANSAS CITY / HEY-HEY-HEY-HEY!

That's What We're Here For (Speech)

I FEEL FINE (STUDIO OUTTAKE)

Paul -- Pop Profile (Speech)

Ringo -- Pop Profile (Speech)

• Like 2

This is all fine & dandy, but it's not Rush. I mean, who's better? I'll tell ya, the motherbangin' Talkin' f***ing Heads. That's who. Yeah.

In all seriousness, really looking forward to getting both of these. I had the first on cassette....a little box set thingy. God knows where it is.

• Like 1

Oh great another Beatles release.. We don't have enough

This is not a repackaging of previously released material. These are previously unreleased performances, which many Beatles fans are interested in. :)

• Like 1

This is all fine & dandy, but it's not Rush. I mean, who's better? I'll tell ya, the motherbangin' Talkin' f***ing Heads. That's who. Yeah.

In all seriousness, really looking forward to getting both of these. I had the first on cassette....a little box set thingy. God knows where it is.

Talking Heads Live at the BBC? F*ck yeah! I am pumped for this! I hadn't heard anything about that! Man, am I psyched now. The Beatles AND Talking Heads coming out with BBC sets! Bring on Christmas! :)

Talking Heads Live at the BBC? F*ck yeah! I am pumped for this! I hadn't heard anything about that! Man, am I psyched now. The Beatles AND Talking Heads coming out with BBC sets! Bring on Christmas! :)

HUH?

I meant both Beatles boxsets.....sorry to burst your bubble there.

HUH?

Just joking man. I knew you were referring to the Who's Better thread that got sidetracked to talking about Talking Heads. :)

Can't wait for this one, I love the first BBC set quite alot.

As Lerxster said,

"This is not a repackaging of previously released material.

These are previously unreleased performances, which many Beatles fans are interested in."

Making this a must have for my collection.

Thanks for the OP post Lerxster!

http://www.moosenet.com/beatles/pix/bbc1orig.jpg

Edited by ReGorLaTroy

HUH?

Just joking man. I knew you were referring to the Who's Better thread that got sidetracked to talking about Talking Heads. :)

I was wondering whether you were being serious or not!! Big WHOOOSH!!! for me!

Hopefully the secret Beatles1962 heavy metal tapes will be unleashed from the vaults very soon!

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

:haz: The Beatles are Metal! :haz:

Revolution

Helter Skelter

Yer Blues

It`s All Too Much

Why Don`t We Do It In the Road

Everybody`s Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey

Birthday

Hey Bulldog

I`ve Got A Feeling

She`s So Heavy

Now that would make one hell of a Metal album

• Like 1

Over 50 years since releasing their first single and nearly 44 years since breaking up —once again -- the Beatles are back in the Top 10. The group's latest archival release, On Air: Live At The BBC Volume 2, entered the Billboard 200 album chart at Number Seven with 37,000 units sold. Back in 1993, the group's first BBC collection, Live At The BBC, entered the chart at Number Three with an impressive 360,000 copies sold in its first week.

Re-released in conjunction with On Air, Live At The BBC —with newly refurbished sound -- entered the charts at Number 34, having sold a respectable 9,000 units. The Beatles' last trip to the Top 10 album charts was back in 2006, when the soundtrack to The Beatles LOVE peaked at Number Four.

Mick Jagger admitted that the Beatles opened all the doors for the Rolling Stones by recreating the music business in the early-'60s: "They were both rivals and they were also, I mean, they were also showing the way, 'cause they were the first at this kind of. . . They were kind of trailblazers in a lot of ways, and they went to the United States first, y'know, they showed the way, they were big international stars —because in England, most people have never really been stars outside of England. You had your little patch and that was it. And the Beatles kind of showed you could be big internationally."

[/Quote]

• Like 1

I need to pick both these albums up. The Beatles are in a league of their own, and these releases look scrumptious!
  • Like 1

I need to pick both these albums up. The Beatles are in a league of their own, and these releases look scrumptious!

You won't be disappointed...there are some treasures to be found on them, that's for certain.

A great bit of The Beatles musical influences and history as well.