What album you love took the longest to grow on you?

sitboaf

Lateralus by Tool.

I bought it when it came out but it took me about 2 years before I finally "got it". But once I "got it", I really "got it". An album I originally thought was completely "meh" is now one of my favourite albums ever.

Beck: Odelay

The radio overplay at the time had a lot to do with that. Fell in love with it half a decade after its release.

Smashing Pumpkins: Siamese Dream

Corgan's vocals stopped me. Always thought the music was great so I gave it many chances. Over time it has become one of my top albums

Beck: Odelay

The radio overplay at the time had a lot to do with that. Fell in love with it half a decade after its release.

Smashing Pumpkins: Siamese Dream

Corgan's vocals stopped me. Always thought the music was great so I gave it many chances. Over time it has become one of my top albums

I have those 2 albums, but I got them from someone else. So, there was never a time when I really had the desire to like them. I think that makes a huge difference.

Every now and again I put on Siamese Dream (and also Mellon Collie) because I know they're good, but they haven't sunk in yet. They might not.

I know it says "not Rush albums", but the two albums that took the longest to grow on me were Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows. It took me years to appreciate the brilliance that existed on those two works. I don't think there are two other albums in existence that took me as long to warm up to. I mean, I didn't really care for either one...and then a decade later, fell in love with them. I remember hating...HATING Mystic Rhythm. Now I adore that song. I love playing it full blast on the car stereo with the windows down.

I think it really took me a while to come to terms with the full on synth sounds.

I thought power windows was lame as hell my first listen. oddly enough, I liked hold your fire immediately though. love both of em now

always loved GUP, probably the first album I've ever had with prominent 80s synths and I remember thinking woah how do I like this?

I used to be in the old Rush good / New Rush bad camp. Somewhere in the mid 90s I grew out of that...and love all of the eras. :haz:

I was reluctant to even try out anything after moving pictures just because I assumed I wouldn't like it. I would've ended up being one of those people who look confused for most of the concert...and I probably wouldn't have even attended the CA tour

Joni Mitchell- The Hissing of Summer Lawns

Really didn't like it for the first couple of years, but then it grew on me. Still not her greatest, I don't think- her album that immediately followed it, Hejira, is.

Black Crowes- Amorica.

When I say it had to grow on me, it was maybe three or four listens, and then I was totally hooked on it. But those first couple of spins, I thought to myself, uh-oh...I'm not thrilled. But then something clicked, and for quite awhile, I thought it was the best rock and roll album made by any band in the twenty years or so that preceded it. Now, I just stay away from such hyperbole. But still...it's fantastic.

One album that to this day I've never gotten into is Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music. Is there anybody who loves that album??

Maybe in another 20 years I'll finally start to like The Final Cut. :no:

I like The Final Cut except for when it ends and I want to kill myself for a few hours after. :wacko:

I absolutely LOVE Pink Floyd. They're easily my 2nd fave band next to Rush, but I will never EVER like this album. It's a shame too, as it SOUNDS amazing. It's an audiophile's dream album in terms of sound quality, right up there with some Steely Dan albums.

If only the album wasn't a horrendous depressfest that anyone who is even borderline suicidal should never listen to. We get it Roger, your father died in World War II and it really f*cked you up, and war DOES suck, etc. I feel for you, but maybe it wasn't such a great topic for a Pink Floyd album. :no:

The albums I love the most that took me the longest to get into:

Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica

Someone mentioned VDGG - Pawn Hearts, and that one took a long time for me too. In fact several Van Der Graff Generator albums and several Gentle Giant albums I feel similarly about - great music, but difficult, and they've taken a LOOOOONG time to grow on me. Some of them are STILL growing on me!

In terms of Rush, Fly By Night took a good 20 years for me to really love it. It's still far from my favorite Rush album, but I really enjoy it when I do hear it.

Really didn't like it for the first couple of years, but then it grew on me. Still not her greatest, I don't think- her album that immediately followed it, Hejira, is.

Black Crowes- Amorica.

When I say it had to grow on me, it was maybe three or four listens, and then I was totally hooked on it. But those first couple of spins, I thought to myself, uh-oh...I'm not thrilled. But then something clicked, and for quite awhile, I thought it was the best rock and roll album made by any band in the twenty years or so that preceded it. Now, I just stay away from such hyperbole. But still...it's fantastic.

One album that to this day I've never gotten into is Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music. Is there anybody who loves that album??

lester bangs loved metal machine music

T.S.O.L. - Change Today?

Different singer and they ditched the punk stuff. I didn't get it for a long time, but now it's my favorite from them.

Joy Division - Closer

Huge fan of Unknown Pleasures, but something about this album was so impenetrable to me for a long time.

T.S.O.L. - Change Today?

Different singer and they ditched the punk stuff. I didn't get it for a long time, but now it's my favorite from them.

Joy Division - Closer

Huge fan of Unknown Pleasures, but something about this album was so impenetrable to me for a long time.

Hmm, maybe I should check it out. After Beneath The Shadows I gave up on T.S.O.L.

T.S.O.L. - Change Today?

Joy Division - Closer

Hmm, maybe I should check it out. After Beneath The Shadows I gave up on T.S.O.L.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdUYe8yhR-k

I like to imagine Danzig dancing around his house singing this to his cats.

I adore Joni and have almost all of her stuff. Critics panned "Hissing" when it came out becuase it sounded like "Court and Spark" - it just wasn't as good.

But now it's a more universally admired album. Her foray into world music was years ahead of Paul Simon's and others'.

And most interesting (to me) is that while it's still got that nice, warm sound with all the killer Tom Scott horns, the lyrical content changed from personal to third person.

For "Hejira", which I also love, she switched back to personal lyrics and sparse instrumentation. Except this time she strummed the electric guitar. Makes for some haunting tunes. And then following "Hejira", she went full-on experimental jazz.

I imagine she confused and alienated a lot of her listeners through the late '70s.

• Like 1

I adore Joni and have almost all of her stuff. Critics panned "Hissing" when it came out becuase it sounded like "Court and Spark" - it just wasn't as good.

But now it's a more universally admired album. Her foray into world music was years ahead of Paul Simon's and others'.

And most interesting (to me) is that while it's still got that nice, warm sound with all the killer Tom Scott horns, the lyrical content changed from personal to third person.

For "Hejira", which I also love, she switched back to personal lyrics and sparse instrumentation. Except this time she strummed the electric guitar. Makes for some haunting tunes. And then following "Hejira", she went full-on experimental jazz.

I imagine she confused and alienated a lot of her listeners through the late '70s.

I've only heard a little of Joni, she is one I will be looking into more soon.

Oh yes, don't get me wrong, because I do think it's a really good record. I don't compare it to Court and Spark at all- it sounds totally different to me, due to the proto-world music rhythms. But I think Blue, for example, is a lot more cohesive statement (so is For the Roses, for that matter). And even though I do like Don Juan's Reckless Daughter and Mingus, there is just something about Hejira. I'd put that one on a desert island list.

T.S.O.L. - Change Today?

Joy Division - Closer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdUYe8yhR-k Not too bad. Honestly, the music isn't that much different than their other stuff- they always had a darker sound than most punk bands anyways. The vocals kinda sound like Glenn a little at times- minus his kitty cats!

Edited by Enemy Within 77

Maybe in another 20 years I'll finally start to like The Final Cut. :no:

I like The Final Cut except for when it ends and I want to kill myself for a few hours after. :wacko:

I absolutely LOVE Pink Floyd. They're easily my 2nd fave band next to Rush, but I will never EVER like this album. It's a shame too, as it SOUNDS amazing. It's an audiophile's dream album in terms of sound quality, right up there with some Steely Dan albums.

If only the album wasn't a horrendous depressfest that anyone who is even borderline suicidal should never listen to. We get it Roger, your father died in World War II and it really f*cked you up, and war DOES suck, etc. I feel for you, but maybe it wasn't such a great topic for a Pink Floyd album. :no:

Exactly how I've felt about The Final Cut since I bought it the day it came out Goobs. It's like c'mon Rog, you made your statement with The Wall, you lead up to The Wall on DSOTM and WYWH (and to a lesser extent with Animals) and it culminated with your personal masterpiece and crystallized all that you were saying before that. Now isn't it time to go in another direction? Perhaps Pros & Cons should've been the next Floyd album? Nice guitar work on The Final Cut from Dave (no surprise there) but otherwise it's very, very difficult to listen to.

Oh and PF is my second favorite band too, tied with Rush. My no. 1 band of all-time is............well, I'm guessing you know. ;)

Edited by driventotheedge

Lacuna Coil:

Karmacode (about a year, now my all time favourite)

Unleashed Memories (a couple of years, now another favourite)

Comalies (a long time to appreciate fully)

Worth noting LC are my all time number one band.

Rush:

Permanent Waves (failed to hear greatness for months)

A Farewell To Kings/Hemispheres (that voice...I shuddered before I learned to love)

Grace Under Pressure (now I adore it)

Fleetwood Mac:

Tusk (believe it or not, after months and months, I played it again and it all clicked into place. Love every track)

Khoma:

The Second Wave (I think this swedish band is the most underrated ever. Partly because this masterpiece takes a few listens to fully appreciate)

Jimmy Eat World:

Clarity

Bruce Springsteen:

Born To Run (for a long time, I thought this was one of The Boss' weaker records. Now its close to the top for me!)

Pretty much all these albums are in my Top Ten in a collection of over 300 albums from a myriad genres.