Musical Movies

DonnaWanna

im sure this subject was covered but im not in the mood to go searchin for the thread

so anyhowz..

I watched a silly/good flick today called Connie & Carla and liked it alot!

if yous ever get the chance and u like flicks with singin in it try to catch this one yes.gif

the Xfiles guy(David whats his name)is in it, the big fat greek weddin chik is in it and the chik that was in 6th sence as the mom was in it,

made me laff for sure new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

A DvD musical im adding to my DvD collection is The Rose with Bette Midler

i havent seen it in YRZZZZ and heard the tune "fire down below" and made me think bout this movie, and how i havent seen it in hella long time, Headin to Ebay now to get me one for my Collection wink.gif

It depends if you're talking about musicals or films that feature music at their core.

Generally, I can't abide musicals. I find them to be shallow, trite and uninvolving with some quite ordinary songs. The exceptions to this are, in my opinion of course:

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

The Return of Captain Invincible

The Wizard of Oz

Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory (though I would have preferred it if they'd kept to the songs that were in the book and not turned into a Disney style saccherine songfest).

Rock Operas ae a different matter if they're based on a concept album not an Andrew Lloyd Webber stage show. Therefore, although I look upon things like Evta with horror, I do quite like;

The Wall

Tommy

Finally, you've got music films. These are films which are about musicians so the songs, 90% of the time, are a believale reason for being there. In addition, the music tends to be of a higher quality. My favourites in this category are:

The Commitments

This is Spinal Tap

The Blues Brothers

Blues Brothers 2000 (I know these have musical style interludes, but their quality is enough to lift them up)

Still Crazy

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jul 9 2005, 02:44 AM)
Generally, I can't abide musicals. I find them to be shallow, trite and uninvolving with some quite ordinary songs. The exceptions to this are, in my opinion of course:

The Wizard of Oz
Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory (though I would have preferred it if they'd kept to the songs that were in the book and not turned into a Disney style saccherine songfest).

I thought "Chicago" was outstanding also.

I've always liked 'Camelot'.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jul 9 2005, 02:44 AM)
It depends if you're talking about musicals or films that feature music at their core.

The Wizard of Oz

Rock Operas ae a different matter if they're based on a concept album not an Andrew Lloyd Webber stage show. Therefore, although I look upon things like Evta with horror, I do quite like;

The Wall
Tommy

Finally, you've got music films. These are films which are about musicians so the songs, 90% of the time, are a believale reason for being there. In addition, the music tends to be of a higher quality. My favourites in this category are:

The Commitments
This is Spinal Tap
The Blues Brothers
Blues Brothers 2000 (I know these have musical style interludes, but their quality is enough to lift them up)
Still Crazy

I concur with that entire post. yes.gif

I agree with Slaine about musicals. I just have never understood them. Nobody just spontaneously breaks into song in the middle of a conversation. I know movies are aobut eh suspension of disbelief, but that takes it just a little too far. Even while watching the movies that are good in & of themselves, Wizard of Oz, the songs detract. JMHO...

I'll stick with CanEHdian's method fo choosing:

Rush in Rio biggrin.gif

Here's a few I like.........

Jesus Christ Superstar

Chicago

Phantom of the Opera

White Christmas

Spinal Tap

Heavy Metal

Tommy

The Wall

Willywonker

The Wizard of Oz

Any of the Hope and Crosby road movies.

QUOTE (Batman @ Jul 13 2005, 02:33 PM)
Jesus Christ Superstar
Chicago
Phantom of the Opera
White Christmas
Spinal Tap
Heavy Metal
Tommy
The Wall
Willywonker
The Wizard of Oz

White Christmas sucks. laugh.gif

I hate that movie. The song, WC, originally appeared in Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire. THAT's the good one.

Once the song was such a smash hit, they wrote a crappy musical entitled after it. It blows. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jul 13 2005, 03:53 PM)
QUOTE (Batman @ Jul 13 2005, 02:33 PM)
Jesus Christ Superstar
Chicago
Phantom of the Opera
White Christmas
Spinal Tap
Heavy Metal
Tommy
The Wall
Willywonker
The Wizard of Oz

White Christmas sucks. laugh.gif

I hate that movie. The song, WC, originally appeared in Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire. THAT's the good one.

Once the song was such a smash hit, they wrote a crappy musical entitled after it. It blows. 062802puke_prv.gif

I was just informed that Holiday Inn was the movie that I liked I knew the song was in it.

oops.gif