Hold Your Fire Anniversery!!!!

Freeze-Frame

I remember buying this the first day it came out. Me and a good buddy put the vinyl on and stood by the speakers. Song by song we got less excited and by the end just looked at each other and shook our heads. I felt genuine disappointment. After the monstrosity of the run from Permanent Waves to Power Windows, this felt like a limp effort. I lasted two more albums after this before I gave up on Rush for quite a number of years. Glad I came back though.

I listen to it from time to time, but my attention usually wavers after a few songs.

• Like 1

I remember buying this the first day it came out. Me and a good buddy put the vinyl on and stood by the speakers. Song by song we got less excited and by the end just looked at each other and shook our heads. I felt genuine disappointment. After the monstrosity of the run from Permanent Waves to Power Windows, this felt like a limp effort. I lasted two more albums after this before I gave up on Rush for quite a number of years. Glad I came back though.

I listen to it from time to time, but my attention usually wavers after a few songs.

I never get people's lack of interest in this album. I guess I understand it more if they just hated the keyboard era entirely, but to love Signals, GUP and Power Windows and to dislike this album makes no sense to me.

That said, I felt how you felt about Presto in terms of a limp effort after many years of killer albums. HYF, the last 2 songs notwithstanding, was an outstanding album. :yes:

I never get people's lack of interest in this album. I guess I understand it more if they just hated the keyboard era entirely, but to love Signals, GUP and Power Windows and to dislike this album makes no sense to me.

That said, I felt how you felt about Presto in terms of a limp effort after many years of killer albums. HYF, the last 2 songs notwithstanding, was an outstanding album. :yes:

So a lot of people never get your lack of interest in Vapor Trails. :P As HYF it's also an outstanding album.

What can i say? I really enjoyed the keyboard era. There was just something missing for me on HYF. I think it all felt a little too "smooth" if that makes any sense. There was a sense of anger or frustration on those earlier albums that I thought was lacking on HYF. I like Rush with a little more urgency.

That said, I don't think it's a bad album. Just disappointing.

Of the keyboard era albums, Grace Under Pressure was the disappointment to me. I was a new fan then since Signals and Moving Pictures - the only two albums I had - and figured Grace Under Pressure would be similar to Signals, but it was so different than Signals.

What can i say? I really enjoyed the keyboard era. There was just something missing for me on HYF. I think it all felt a little too "smooth" if that makes any sense. There was a sense of anger or frustration on those earlier albums that I thought was lacking on HYF. I like Rush with a little more urgency.

That said, I don't think it's a bad album. Just disappointing.

:huh:

if you say so...

Goobs, what "makes no sense" is suggesting that loving Signals, GUP and PoW somehow "requires" you to love HYF. HYF is one of my least favorite albums by the band. I think, like they themselves say in Beyond the Lighted Stage, HYF took the "synth pop" too far. They came pretty close to being an 80s new wave band with HYF. I don't love PoW either, but they still hadn't gone completely overboard with that album.

And the songs on those other albums are better.

• Like 3

I never gave up on them, although Snakes nearly did me in. But I hear you. HYF was the beginning of the end of my fanboyism. I denied it for a long time. My friend said to me one day, " you don't like Presto much do you"? I thought, WHAT!? Blasphemy!!! I love everything Rush. Everything. But suddenly it hit me that he was right. Not only was I forcing myself to like Presto, but I did the same with HYF. I loved it not because I loved it, but because it was Rush and not loving it all was unthinkable. Part of me misses being a fanboy. It was more fun back then.

Goobs, what "makes no sense" is suggesting that loving Signals, GUP and PoW somehow "requires" you to love HYF. HYF is one of my least favorite albums by the band. I think, like they themselves say in Beyond the Lighted Stage, HYF took the "synth pop" too far. They came pretty close to being an 80s new wave band with HYF. I don't love PoW either, but they still hadn't gone completely overboard with that album.

And the songs on those other albums are better.

I've just never heard anyone say they like Signals, GUP and PW, but not HYF - they're so in the same vein. For me it's like saying, I love Permanent Waves, but not Moving Pictures or I love AFTK, but not Hemispheres. :eh:

Goobs, they sounds alike but the writing is completely different. Out of the four albums HYF has the weakest songs. albeit, not by much. Mainly 3 to four songs and that's it but they are weaker. While the other albums might only have one if that! Making them more likeable to some. I'm in your boat. I like them all the same and actually like the songs I like on HYF much more than some on the others but I can see where some might not enjoy them for the same reasons I do. Basically the album doesn't have the edge that the other three have. :codger:

Dismissed HYF as a kid, turned off by the Aimee Mann singing and the wealth of keys on the album...

HOWEVER: I took a deep dive on the album recently and can't stop listening to it. The songwriting, music, lyrics and production are fantastic. And with the exception of Second Nature, I like the whole album, top to bottom.

This album is an criminally underrated gem, glad I gave it a second chance. Its rank on my Rush album list is skyrocking as I type this.

ps -- I dont understand all the love Power Windows gets... IMHO song for song HYF is a mile ahead.

Edited by greg2112

I'm being totally serious when i say this. If there ever was a rush album that was most rewarding over time......it's this one. Used to loathe HYF with all my being. but......when it clicked it really clicked.

really under appreciated record.

Mick

• Like 1

I'm being totally serious when i say this. If there ever was a rush album that was most rewarding over time......it's this one. Used to loathe HYF with all my being. but......when it clicked it really clicked.

Mick

that's how I feel about power windows

• Like 1

Mick

I agree power Windows is a bit underrated too. But i liked that one right off.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Wow ,,, I was listening to it last night while I was eating dinner. What a coincidence .. I love it .. I am one of the few that thought Presto was a step back. It is great to listen to at night when you are trying to wind down.

Time stand Still--

(Time stand still)

I'm not looking back

But I want to look around me now

(Time stand still)

See more of the people and the places that surround me now

Time stand still

By no means am I a old man but at this stage (34) years olds,, I can relate because time is flying by

Happy Anniversery

• Like 1

Its okay...Power Windows is leagues ahead

Mick

I agree power Windows is a bit underrated too. But i liked that one right off.

Mick

what's weird is I liked hold your fire with the first listen, but it took me several listens to get into power windows

Wow ,,, I was listening to it last night while I was eating dinner. What a coincidence .. I love it .. I am one of the few that thought Presto was a step back. It is great to listen to at night when you are trying to wind down.

Time stand Still--

(Time stand still)

I'm not looking back

(Time stand still)

Time stand still

By no means am I a old man but at this stage (34) years olds,, I can relate because time is flying by

Happy Anniversery

I agree that presto is a step back in terms of quality.

Time stand Still--

(Time stand still)

I'm not looking back

(Time stand still)

Time stand still

Read more: Rush - Time Stand Still Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Happy Anniversery

Totally agree on Presto... and RTB was an even bigger step back. Thank God for Counterparts.