Hold Your Fire Anniversery!!!!

Freeze-Frame

Hold Your Fire was released 26 years ago on this date. Many people may not like the album, but certainly it's still Rush. Let us all plug in our headphones, blare you speakers, jam out to "Time Stand Still", and raise our lighters high for this special day.

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/75381098/Hold+Your+Fire.png

• Like 4

Hold Your Fire is my favorite Rush album. Hard to believe it is 26 years old. Time passes way to fast. Even harder to believe that Test For Echo turns 17 years old in a couple days and I still consider "very new Rush".
  • Like 5

Woo Hoo!

One of my favorites for sure. According to my iTunes, its the album that has the highest play count in my library (right now, at least)...I love every song on the album...Tai Shan is nice to chill out to :smoke:

• Like 3

Hold Your Fire isn't the best Rush album in my opinion, but oh my god Force Ten is my jam.
  • Like 2

Love, love, love Hold Your Fire. I remember going out and buying it upon its release...it's one of the most important Rush albums, to me. And strictly musically speaking, I like it more now than I did back then. Dated production values, but typical of the latter half of the 1980s, and certainly not a fault. It's a great record.
  • Like 2

I remember listening to this the day it came out and really only liking Force Ten. I was only 25 and still in my young "self-centered" phase. The deeper, heartfelt lyrics on most of the songs didn't touch me. About seven years later it suddenly revealed itself. I was old enough to understand the meaning of the songs. I had gone through loss and could feel time flying by. Today I consider it to be in my top five Rush albums. 26 years...damn! Time Stand Still indeed!
  • Like 3

To all the haters - a hearty :moon: from me to you.

I guess that's me, with your butt in my face :P

HYF was the album that made me stop listening to Rush (for several years), 26 years ago :(

:)

One of my very first favourite Rush songs was 'Time Stand Still', but it took me until last year to sit down with the entire album. I'd never before heard songs like 'High Water' or 'Second Nature'... I remember back in '98 seeing a track called 'Turn the Page' and thought it was the Bob Seger cover, a la Metallica at that time. I remember being disappointed that it wasn't! :P Of course, I really like this song, now.

A very good album, and some really rhythm-oriented bass parts. I just tried playing the riff from 'Turn the Page' a whie back and was discouraged at how athletic it is! :D

• Like 3

Ahhh yes, I remember picking up the vinyl on the day of release after school, hitting my favorite record store which was conveniently near my high school. I remember thinking "wow, it sure is red" when I picked it out of the bin.

A couple months later, HYF became my first-ever CD purchase when I got my first CD player.

I still have both of those original copies. I never really felt compelled to get any remaster of HYF and I'm certainly never getting rid of any of my Rush vinyl.

Edited by Bangster of Goats
  • Like 1

It's still my favorite album by Rush. I also bought it the day of release and I got it on vinyl. I've since bought the CD however. Two weeks prior to the release WRDU Classic Rock radio station in Raleigh was previewing four songs - Force Ten, Time Stand Still, Mission, and Turn the page were the songs that were played to promote it with Force Ten and Time Stand Still getting the most spins. The album has always symbolized a change in life or rite of passage. Having just graduated from high school, "Turn the Page" became a very important song that reminded me that we often move past certain relationships and on to new ones.

And then the concert in January 1988 in Raleigh still ranks as my fave Rush show. Meeting the caterers cooking dinner among the tour buses to hanging with a lot of fans outside Reynolds Coliseum for the band to exit. Very inspirational show.

edit: just some more memories. I remember all the red balloons falling from the ceiling. But before that happened, many fans were looking up waiting them to fall. Geddy said, "why are you looking up there, we're over here!" But in a funny way, not upset or anything.

A few days before the concert, we'd had an ice or snow storm come through. I distinctly remember the sun going down creating a brilliant light on the ice hanging from the trees on campus. It certainly created a pleasant atmosphere.

Edited by circumstantial tree
  • Like 4

If I had to pick a Rush album that REALLY had to grow on me it would be HYF. I basically ignored the rest of the album after the first two songs, probably because that aspect of Rush's sound wasn't my cup of tea at the time. Yet I'm such a hypocrite since I loved PoW from the first listen and it's from the same era.

It wasn't until I bought the Replay x3 set and popped in A Show of Hands shortly one night before the songs really clicked with me. I think those live renditions (and to a lesser extent, Mission off of S&A Live) really helped me to fall in love with those songs. As of now, it's slightly outside the cut of my top 10 favorite Rush albums, but out of the other 9 (Feedback doesn't count) this would be on top.

Call me weird, but I feel very sentimental when listening to it, especially during songs like Prime Mover and Time Stand Still, the former having one of my all time favorite Rush lyrics, "The point of the journey is not to arrive. Anything can happen"

• Like 2

This was my first "new" Rush and I consider it my Rush if you know what I mean. I love it!

Time Stand Still always goes through my head at this time of year...summer's going fast nights growing colder...

• Like 3