Genesis - what album to start with?

jamie

my friend really wants me to start listening to Genesis, but I'm not sure which album to start with. any recommendations?

Selling England By the Pound

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Three Sides Live

Seconds Out

Sheldon, great albums to recommended, next up:

Abacab

Invisible Touch

We can't Dance

Calling All Stations - note new singer is Ray Wilson (Phil Collins left in '96), but Tony and Mike wrote most of the lyrics. Some don't like it, but this Genesis fan thinks it's bearable (meaning okay, not trash). You?

Turn it on Again DVD/CD - last reunion Tour in 2007 with Phil and the guys. Great Collection of all their hits with some Gabriel stuff thrown in for good measure!

Three Sides Live

Seconds Out

Abacab

Invisible Touch

We can't Dance

Calling All Stations - note new singer is Ray Wilson (Phil Collins left in '96), but Tony and Mike wrote most of the lyrics. Some don't like it, but this Genesis fan thinks it's bearable (meaning okay, not trash). You?

Turn it on Again DVD/CD - last reunion Tour in 2007 with Phil and the guys. Great Collection of all their hits with some Gabriel stuff thrown in for good measure!

I only own We Can't Dance and Calling All Stations and We Can't Dance is amazing while I can't make it past the first song n Calling All Stations.

Three Sides Live

Seconds Out

Abacab

Invisible Touch

We can't Dance

I only own We Can't Dance and Calling All Stations and We Can't Dance is amazing while I can't make it past the first song n Calling All Stations.

Yeah, CAS is tough to listen to for the casual listener, as the "where's Phil?" kicks in..as I was a "Tony" freak years ago, that kept me going! LOL!!

Three Sides Live

Seconds Out

Abacab

Invisible Touch

We can't Dance

Yeah, CAS is tough to listen to for the casual listener, as the "where's Phil?" kicks in..as I was a "Tony" freak years ago, that kept me going! LOL!!

I found both records at a second hand store for $5.00 each. Before I listened to them I had no idea what to expect and didn't recognize any songs.

Gabriel / Art Era: You can't go wrong with Foxtrot or Selling England By The Pound. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is also excellent, but it's a double album with a story that I STILL can't figure out, and probably not the best place for a beginner.

Four Piece Era: Well, there's only 2 of these, both great, with Trick of the Tail perhaps being a bit more digestible. The live album Seconds Out is phenomenal.

Three Piece / Pop Era: that's a tough call. Most of the albums are vey good, but so different from one another. Maybe Invisible Touch has a bit more bang for the buck.

That's a 3 or 4 album strategy that should start you off right.

• Like 1

BTW, if you get Selling England by the Pound (also an excellent choice) and have a keen ear, you may recognize "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" as this is often played over the PA at Rush shows.

And the song being played at the beginning of Different Stages, disc three is "Nights Winters Years" by the Blue Jays!

That's off-topic, but I'm a huge Moody Blues fan. Sue me. :D

Selling England is a good starting point.

I'd avoid to put a not-initiated through The Lamb in its entirety. You might loose a friend. Maybe a selection is better for starters.

Back in the days of tapes, my friend made me this "best of" Genesis. It had side B of Selling England, Supper's Ready from Foxtrot, the easy songs from Lamb. Why don't you make him a playlist?

I would say don't start with the live albums. I know you're getting a lot of ideas here, but I wouldn't start anyone off with live stuff because I kind of feel like you should hear the album tracks first.

What I'd definitely say is, don't start with either From Genesis to Revelation or Calling All Stations. Maybe start with Trespass and keep moving forward. That would be interesting. Genesis use to be a top 5 band with me, but I still enjoy and respect their music- all phases (well, maybe not their first and last :P). Enjoy, and maybe start a thread with your comments as you move along. :cheers:

• Like 1

I didn't really get into Genesis until I heard Foxtrot. The opening track, Watcher of the Skies, just did it for me, and I've not looked back since.
  • Like 1

Peter era: Selling England By The Pound. Quite accessible and prepares you for the denseness of what went before and after.

Phil prog era: A Trick of The Tail. Quite proggy, but clear signposts of what was to come.

Prog/pop era: Duke. The perfect example of muscular playing with pop nous.

Pop era: Invisible Touch. Hooks and melodies everywhere, only spoiled by the lachrymose In Too Deep.

• Like 2

Selling England By the Pound. That's where I started, and I'm now an uber fan.

From there I would grab A Trick of the Tail. Right away, then, you'll have one album each from the Peter and Phil eras respectively. Both are relatively digestible and easy to like.

My two favorite Genesis albums are Foxtrot and the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, but it's better to work your way toward those.

• Like 3

The one that started me liking Genesis was "Wind and Wuthering", the second album as a four piece without Peter Gabriel. It has a little of everything. The opening track "The Eleventh Earl of Mar" certainly is one of those extended prog pieces, "Wot Gorilla?" is a fast paced instrumental, "Blood on the Rooftops" is a strange, but morose, but good ballad kind of song. "All in a Mouse's Night" showcases their humorous side.
  • Like 1

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is undoubtly the masterpiece of the Gabriel era (at least in my mind). But you've got a lot of good recommendations here. Tough choice. Have fun on the journey of discovering Genesis. :D
  • Like 1

don't start with anything after 1977. selling England is probably the best place to start, then try foxtrot, the lamb, nursery cryme, trespass, trick of the tail, wind and wuthering. duke isn't bad, but the rest of their albums (especially we cant dance and calling all stations) are pretty lame.
  • Like 1

Get everything up to 1980 then stop

Unless you like watered down Pop/Disney music

• Like 4

thanks for the suggestions, i'll check them all out and hopefully get into them :)

I started with Foxtrot

I dunno about that.

I stand by the proggy goodness of Me and Sarah Jane, Home By The Sea, Domino, Driving the Last Spike, and Fading Lights.

And Mama is kinda metal.

• Like 2

I dunno about that.

I stand by the proggy goodness of Me and Sarah Jane, Home By The Sea, Domino, Driving the Last Spike, and Fading Lights.

And Mama is kinda metal.

I love the dark vibe of Mama. There were a ton of great songs from the pop era of Genesis, like the ones you mentioned above, that are up there with Genesis' best IMO.