Which Tour That You Attended Had The Smallest Crowd?

presto123

People addicted to weed? It is a small minority of pot smokers.

Correct, and it's a psychological addiction NOT a physical one. I smoked cigarettes for 32 years (been quit for nearly 7 now) and trust me, I know the difference. Nicotine is a really bad addiction on both levels. Nicotine is so insideous many people have said quitting heroin was easier than quitting smoking cigs (e.g. Gregg Allman). I also smoked marijuana off and on for about 25 years and quit whenever I wanted to with zero physical (cravings, etc.) or psychological reprocussions.

As for the rest of this discussion, I'd prefer to stay out other than to say drunk assholes are to me, every bit as obnoxious as tobacco or marijuana smoke. But that's me and we're all different.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 2

Correct, and it's a psychological addiction NOT a physical one. I smoked cigarettes for 32 years (been quit for nearly 7 now) and trust me, I know the difference. Nicotine is a really bad addiction on both levels. Nicotine is so insideous many people have said quitting heroin was easier than quitting smoking cigs (e.g. Gregg Allman). I also smoked marijuana off and on for about 25 years and quit whenever I wanted to with zero physical (cravings, etc.) or psychological reprocussions.

As for the rest of this discussion, I'd prefer to stay out other than to say drunk assholes are to me, every bit as obnoxious as tobacco or marijuana smoke. But that's me and we're all different.

I really like your post :yes:

and the bulk of the crowd IS rush fans at rush shows, but my last show, despite being a great performance, I ended up in a section where literally everyone sat except me and my friend (we were at the top of our section so don't worry, we didn't obstruct anybody's view) and I could see many people around me texting, playing with their phones (not filming either), etc. to me, rush is a hard rock band, and even the synth stuff is mostly get-up-and-move type music for me. and the energy didn't even change during the hits. while most of my section seemed more attentive during yyz, sawyer, etc, hardly anybody looked excited at all. basically, it was a lot like J2112YYZ's Toronto test for echo gig he described earlier in the thread.

Yeah, I hate that type of shit. I think Rush crowds, for the most part, are rather mellow, but people on their phones during a bulk of the show is just unacceptable.

yeah if you just wanna sit on your phone why go?

way more annoying than pot smoke.

i don't know why someone on their cell phone would need to take away from your enjoyment of a show - just focus on the show.

and it's nice that pot smoke (and i guess cigarette smoke) doesn't bother you. for those of us who it does, it's intolerable. those people take away the choice for the rest of us of whether we want to breathe it in or not, or we don't go if we don't want to breathe it in, and that's seriously unfortunate for those of us who would love to see our favorite band (or bands) without having other people's addictions right in our face. those people simply don't give a shit, or they're off in their own little worlds where they're just doing their thing completely oblivious to how it effects those around them. i'd rather go to a concert filled with people doing cocaine or shooting heroin - at least those addictions are confined to their own bodies and doesn't effect everyone else around them.

And your inability to live life while tolerating the decisions of those around you unless it has absolutely no impact on you is a bit sad. You can use the same reasoning to ban unhygienic people, people who wear cologne, people who eat food that you can smell, people who own non-hypoallergenic pets, or people who have touched peanuts.

I hate the smell of fish to no end. But I'm not arrogant enough to demand that people around me not eat it because I might puke or get a headache. Take care of your own shit and mind your own damned business.

Jeez, didn't know you were such a marijuana activist.

WTF are you talking about? I don't like people smoking cigarettes and pot smoke in my face, and that DOES impact me. People who do it at concerts are disrespectful. They make the choice for me of me wanting to breathe it in or not. The rest of that bullshit you brought up has noting to do with that.

And dude, WTF is your problem? I'm not demanding anything. I don't go to concerts because I don't want to be around it. Don't hang around a fish market if that bugs you. I'm assuming you're a big time pothead since you got all bent out of shape about this? Must have hit a big nerve there.

Edited by rushgoober

and the bulk of the crowd IS rush fans at rush shows, but my last show, despite being a great performance, I ended up in a section where literally everyone sat except me and my friend (we were at the top of our section so don't worry, we didn't obstruct anybody's view) and I could see many people around me texting, playing with their phones (not filming either), etc. to me, rush is a hard rock band, and even the synth stuff is mostly get-up-and-move type music for me. and the energy didn't even change during the hits. while most of my section seemed more attentive during yyz, sawyer, etc, hardly anybody looked excited at all. basically, it was a lot like J2112YYZ's Toronto test for echo gig he described earlier in the thread.

Yeah, I hate that type of shit. I think Rush crowds, for the most part, are rather mellow, but people on their phones during a bulk of the show is just unacceptable.

i don't know why someone on their cell phone would need to take away from your enjoyment of a show - just focus on the show.

and it's nice that pot smoke (and i guess cigarette smoke) doesn't bother you. for those of us who it does, it's intolerable. those people take away the choice for the rest of us of whether we want to breathe it in or not, or we don't go if we don't want to breathe it in, and that's seriously unfortunate for those of us who would love to see our favorite band (or bands) without having other people's addictions right in our face. those people simply don't give a shit, or they're off in their own little worlds where they're just doing their thing completely oblivious to how it effects those around them. i'd rather go to a concert filled with people doing cocaine or shooting heroin - at least those addictions are confined to their own bodies and doesn't effect everyone else around them.

And your inability to live life while tolerating the decisions of those around you unless it has absolutely no impact on you is a bit sad. You can use the same reasoning to ban unhygienic people, people who wear cologne, people who eat food that you can smell, people who own non-hypoallergenic pets, or people who have touched peanuts.

I hate the smell of fish to no end. But I'm not arrogant enough to demand that people around me not eat it because I might puke or get a headache. Take care of your own shit and mind your own damned business.

WTF are you talking about? I don't like people smoking cigarettes and pot smoke in my face, and that DOES impact me. People who do it at concerts are disrespectful. They make the choice for me of me wanting to breathe it in or not. The rest of that bullshit you brought up has noting to do with that.

And dude, WTF is your problem? I'm not demanding anything. I don't go to concerts because I don't want to be around it. Don't hang around a fish market if that bugs you. I'm assuming you're a big time pothead since you got all bent out of shape about this? Must have hit a big nerve there.

Your annoyance at smelling wafts of smoke is less serious than a couple of my examples, seeing as it has no real effect on you. If you are so intolerant of others, you shouldn't be out in public anyway. Your extreme views and intolerance do inform me as to why you delight so much in shitting all over Rush songs and albums others like.

Your annoyance at smelling wafts of smoke is less serious than a couple of my examples, seeing as it has no real effect on you. If you are so intolerant of others, you shouldn't be out in public anyway. Your extreme views and intolerance do inform me as to why you delight so much in shitting all over Rush songs and albums others like.

You not wanting to have any respect for me being bothered by having to be in a huge cloud of cigarette smoke and pot smoke right in my face (which is literally what it was like last Rush show I attended - not exaggerating) I can only imagine stems from you being a major pothead and not wanting to deal with the fact that you're being enormously disrespectful of people if you're doing what I'm talking about. Otherwise, why the hell would it bother you so much what my opinion is on the issue?

And who the hell are you to tell me what effects me and what doesn't? Just because cigarettes and/or pot I'm guessing is an everyday thing for you doesn't mean it's something people who don't do it want to be around, and it's not ok just because it's a big nothing to you. If you walked up to me and blew cigarette smoke right in my face and told me I was the one with the problem I would walk away, but it'd be pretty obvious who really had the problem.

It has nothing to do with intolerance. It has to do with me not wanting to be in a thick cloud of smoke, so I don't attend concerts in general. And as I said before, it's a real shame. If those people had a little more respect and did it in their cars before the show instead of forcing everyone around them to participate in their addictions or them just having a good time if it's not addiction is at minimum extremely rude and them just not giving a shit about anyone except themselves.

And if you're one of the people who do this, then it's people like you who prevent me from going to concerts. Of course I could still go if I wanted to, but I choose not to because you can't put down your bong for 3 hours and enjoy a concert without chemical enhancement. And if that doesn't describe you personally, then fine, but it sure describes a hell of a lot of people.

• Like 1

I notice every time I've brought this subject up, some people get REALLY bent out of shape about it, like they really go apeshit (see above). It's just bizarre. If I told people I really hate cilantro and the smell of it makes me gag (which happens to be true), no one would care, but tell them I don't want to be around cigarette and pot smoke and people take it insanely personally, like I'm attacking them and their lives. Seriously, if you need to get high all the time, be my guest, but please don't do it in my face is all. I don't know why it brings up so much insecurity and the need to attack me for not liking it and thinking it's disrespectful during concerts in a public place. I really doubt anyone would go so nuts about my dislike of cilantro. Do people secretly feel like they shouldn't be doing what they're doing and someone getting bothered by it really hits a raw nerve? Edited by rushgoober

I notice every time I've brought this subject up, some people get REALLY bent out of shape about it, like they really go apeshit. It's just bizarre. If I told people I really hate cilantro and the smell of it makes me gag (which happens to be true), no one would care, but tell them I don't want to be around pot smoke and people take it insanely personal, like I'm attacking them personally. Seriously, if you need to get high all the time, be my guest, but please don't do it in my face. I don't know why it brings up so much insecurity and the need to attack me for not liking it. I really doubt anyone would get that way about my dislike of cilantro. Maybe people secretly feel like they shouldn't be doing what they're doing and someone getting bothered by it really hits a raw nerve? F*ck if I know.

You tight-ass, conservative bastard! Cilantro rocks!

Obviously, j/k. I hear you. It is kind of bizarre.

It's just greedy to smoke in the venue itself. Smoke in the car, parking lot, alley, or wherever like I used to. Besides, all those places are generally non-smoking (except for designated areas) anyway so there's that too. :blaze:

• Like 1

and fwiw, i completely understand that people who are addicted to pot are addicted psychologically and not physically. and i understand that not everyone (or even most people) who smoke pot at concerts are addicted. acknowledged. the rest of my points still stand regardless. if you're blowing pot smoke in my face, it bothers me, whether you do it once a decade or ten times a day. Edited by rushgoober

Vapor Trails Gund Arena, Cleveland Lower bowl sold out and floor (where I was) rest of arena curtained off. At the time I was fooled from where I sat(stood) looked like it was completely full. But I found out from TRF years later that only 7,000 present. :( Jump ahead to 2012 Clock Work Angels The Q formally known as Gund arena same scenario lower half and floor full upper tier curtained off, read attendance was over 8,000 with available tickets listed for some reason only 10,000. Have to say although Vapor Trails concert slightly less showed up compared to CWA tour,, Vapor Trails crowd wayy more enthusiastic and LOUD then the old folks home that the Q was that late October night in 2012. Boring subdued old farts made it embarrassing experience.. Had high expectations for Cleveland since The Time Machine filming was such a grand success..

For me it was on the Signals Tour 1983, when they played the Rhein-Neckar Halle in Eppelheim near Heidelberg. Here's a photo of the gym.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/rush-eppelheim_zps7bb3dab3.jpg

:o Wow, that looks even smaller then my hometown Canton Civic Center use to have a indoor soccer team "Canton Invaders" attendance averaged 3 to 4,000 capacity. Edited by softfilter

I've only been to 10 shows on 5 tours (VT, R30, S&A, TM, CA). For me smallest and lamest crowd would be two different shows:

Smallest: Jacksonville, FL, S&A 2008. Great for me because I was living in Jacksonville at the time, but for the band really a gig without a market. Every tour since VT (and maybe before then), Rush played 2 gigs in FL, and Atlanta, GA. The FL shows would be one down south (W Palm or Fort Lauderdale) and one in Tampa. For some reason in 2008, in addition to the ATL, Fort Lauderdale, and Orlando (taking the place of Tampa) shows, they added Jacksonville. Trouble was, with the ATL, S FL, and Orlando/Tampa markets already covered, Jacksonville (by far the smallest of the 4 markets) really only had an area west to Tallahassee and north to Savannah to pull in customers. Result: crowd of maybe 7,000 in a 15,000 seat arena. Never mind the upper bowel, you could easily see empty seats in the lower. However, those who did show up were pretty into it.

Lamest: Tampa, R30 2004. By the time Mystic Rhythms was playing, I was practically the only person in the section standing. Then someone threw a plastic bottle at me. Any questions?

I've only been to 10 shows on 5 tours (VT, R30, S&A, TM, CA). For me smallest and lamest crowd would be two different shows:

Smallest: Jacksonville, FL, S&A 2008. Great for me because I was living in Jacksonville at the time, but for the band really a gig without a market. Every tour since VT (and maybe before then), Rush played 2 gigs in FL, and Atlanta, GA. The FL shows would be one down south (W Palm or Fort Lauderdale) and one in Tampa. For some reason in 2008, in addition to the ATL, Fort Lauderdale, and Orlando (taking the place of Tampa) shows, they added Jacksonville. Trouble was, with the ATL, S FL, and Orlando/Tampa markets already covered, Jacksonville (by far the smallest of the 4 markets) really only had an area west to Tallahassee and north to Savannah to pull in customers. Result: crowd of maybe 7,000 in a 15,000 seat arena. Never mind the upper bowel, you could easily see empty seats in the lower. However, those who did show up were pretty into it.

Lamest: Tampa, R30 2004. By the time Mystic Rhythms was playing, I was practically the only person in the section standing. Then someone threw a plastic bottle at me. Any questions?

Caught Signals, Presto, RTB, and Counterparts all in Jacksonville. All had small but not lame crowds...though there was a knifing incident during the Signals show (during the opener TSoR)--->I think that might qualify as lame Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Caught Signals, Presto, RTB, and Counterparts all in Jacksonville. All had small but not lame crowds...though there was a knifing incident during the Signals show (during the opener TSoR)--->I think that might qualify as lame

Knifing incident at a Rush show? That sounds preposterous. I mean, why? :wtf:

Caught Signals, Presto, RTB, and Counterparts all in Jacksonville. All had small but not lame crowds...though there was a knifing incident during the Signals show (during the opener TSoR)--->I think that might qualify as lame

Don't know WHY it happened. The band didn't know about it until after the gig. Security took care of it as soon as they could and nobody was seriously injured luckily. I do remember that they skipped Jacksonville during GUP tour. And as a then 12 year old Rush fiend, I blamed it on the knifing incident during the Signals tour. Who knows why they skipped Jacksonville though. It could've just as easily been due to lack of ticket sales

Don't know WHY it happened. The band didn't know about it until after the gig. Security took care of it as soon as they could and nobody was seriously injured luckily. I do remember that they skipped Jacksonville during GUP tour. And as a then 12 year old Rush fiend, I blamed it on the knifing incident during the Signals tour. Who knows why they skipped Jacksonville though. It could've just as easily been due to lack of ticket sales

Crazy to bring a knife to a show, but as you wrote luckily no one was seriously hurt by it.

Crazy to bring a knife to a show, but as you wrote luckily no one was seriously hurt by it.

Jacksonville in the late 70s and early 80s meant redneck central: redneck knife possible, shotgun rack mounted in their pickup truck, Confederate flag blazing in truck also possible. Put it this way: Monster truck shows ALWAYS have sold out there. Every time I go back for a visit and turn on the radio to the local rock station, it takes less than 15 minutes to hear a 38 Special or Molley Hatchet song playing. ;) Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Jacksonville in the late 70s and early 80s meant redneck central: redneck knife possible, shotgun rack mounted in their pickup truck, Confederate flag blazing in truck also possible. Put it this way: Monster truck shows ALWAYS have sold out there. Every time I go back for a visit and turn on the radio to the local rock station, it takes less than 15 minutes to hear a 38 Special or Molley Hatchet song playing. ;)

That explains a lot ;)

Argument over the Set list.

• Like 2

technically either Regina in '08 or Red Deer this year but only because they were around 7000 seat venues. the show I remember with the most empty seats was Edmonton in '02 but my memory is foggy.. plus I'm always so busy looking at the stage... I'm funny that way ;)

Vapor Trails Gund Arena, Cleveland Lower bowl sold out and floor (where I was) rest of arena curtained off. At the time I was fooled from where I sat(stood) looked like it was completely full. But I found out from TRF years later that only 7,000 present. :( Jump ahead to 2012 Clock Work Angels The Q formally known as Gund arena same scenario lower half and floor full upper tier curtained off, read attendance was over 8,000 with available tickets listed for some reason only 10,000. Have to say although Vapor Trails concert slightly less showed up compared to CWA tour,, Vapor Trails crowd wayy more enthusiastic and LOUD then the old folks home that the Q was that late October night in 2012. Boring subdued old farts made it embarrassing experience.. Had high expectations for Cleveland since The Time Machine filming was such a grand success..

makes sense that the crowd was more enthusiastic 11 years ago. same people at both gigs probably, they've just gotten older.

You not wanting to have any respect for me being bothered by having to be in a huge cloud of cigarette smoke and pot smoke right in my face (which is literally what it was like last Rush show I attended - not exaggerating) I can only imagine stems from you being a major pothead and not wanting to deal with the fact that you're being enormously disrespectful of people if you're doing what I'm talking about. Otherwise, why the hell would it bother you so much what my opinion is on the issue?

And who the hell are you to tell me what effects me and what doesn't? Just because cigarettes and/or pot I'm guessing is an everyday thing for you doesn't mean it's something people who don't do it want to be around, and it's not ok just because it's a big nothing to you. If you walked up to me and blew cigarette smoke right in my face and told me I was the one with the problem I would walk away, but it'd be pretty obvious who really had the problem.

It has nothing to do with intolerance. It has to do with me not wanting to be in a thick cloud of smoke, so I don't attend concerts in general. And as I said before, it's a real shame. If those people had a little more respect and did it in their cars before the show instead of forcing everyone around them to participate in their addictions or them just having a good time if it's not addiction is at minimum extremely rude and them just not giving a shit about anyone except themselves.

And if you're one of the people who do this, then it's people like you who prevent me from going to concerts. Of course I could still go if I wanted to, but I choose not to because you can't put down your bong for 3 hours and enjoy a concert without chemical enhancement. And if that doesn't describe you personally, then fine, but it sure describes a hell of a lot of people.

You are exaggerating as what you are describing is virtually impossible in an outdoor setting and highly unlikely in an arena. And it bothers me that you are so intolerant that minor inconveniences cause you to lose your shit and make hyperbolic and untrue statements and accusations.

I, too, can't stand the smell of cigarettes - my parents smoked and it would make me nauseous when they did so in a car, and it still does today. But I'm not arrogant and intolerant enough to force my opinions on everyone else or bitch about it incessantly and then blame everyone else.

I wish I did smoke and did so at concerts just so I could take credit for keeping you out and allowing everyone else to enjoy post 1993 Rush music just a bit more.

As for pot, your statements are even more absurd. People don't just sit down in groups all smoking a joint from start to finish, only to do so again in 15 minutes. You get people taking 1 or 2 drags at a time a few times in the show. I've often smelled wafts of weed from people around me, but never have I been caught in a mysterious cloud that somehow manages to stay stationary at my position. Largely because that's impossible.

damn, shit got heated on the last page. let's just agree to disagree on things like pot smoke or cilantro or whatever the hell you guys are talking about.

Whoops. I didn't see this till now. Is it too late to get on the agree to disagree train?

damn, shit got heated on the last page. let's just agree to disagree on things like pot smoke or cilantro or whatever the hell you guys are talking about.

i'm fine with agreeing to disagree, after all we're just having a conversation here. it is because of these reasons, however, and the pepole who don't care about how what they do effects those around them, that i don't attend. it's too bad people can't be more respectful.

You are exaggerating as what you are describing is virtually impossible in an outdoor setting and highly unlikely in an arena. And it bothers me that you are so intolerant that minor inconveniences cause you to lose your shit and make hyperbolic and untrue statements and accusations.

I, too, can't stand the smell of cigarettes - my parents smoked and it would make me nauseous when they did so in a car, and it still does today. But I'm not arrogant and intolerant enough to force my opinions on everyone else or bitch about it incessantly and then blame everyone else.

I wish I did smoke and did so at concerts just so I could take credit for keeping you out and allowing everyone else to enjoy post 1993 Rush music just a bit more.

As for pot, your statements are even more absurd. People don't just sit down in groups all smoking a joint from start to finish, only to do so again in 15 minutes. You get people taking 1 or 2 drags at a time a few times in the show. I've often smelled wafts of weed from people around me, but never have I been caught in a mysterious cloud that somehow manages to stay stationary at my position. Largely because that's impossible.

:eyeroll:

Anyway, everything I said still stands. I have no clue why you got so bothered about all of this, and I never lost my shit - just reacting to your over the top reactions to my opinions. As I've said before, I'm not telling anyone what they can or can't do, demanding anyone do anything or forcing any opinions on anyone else any more than you or anyone else. I'm just saying how it is for me and why I don't attend. Too bad you had to be such an ass over the whole thing, but nothing I can do about that one.