Why don't you like Clockwork Angels?

x1yyz

So, hot on the heels of the Album Rankings thread, I'm wondering why not many people have ranked Clockwork Angels as one of their favourite Rush albums. Personally I think it's their best album since 1980, and possibly their best ever. If you don't think so, why not? (I'm just curious.)

You answered your own question. CA is the best album since 1980. Hence there are 8 albums prior to that year that are very solid albums. Hemispheres, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, A Farewell to Kings, 2112. Many fans still hold these album in very high regards which leaves CA somewhere after. I personally have it as my fourth Favorite. I truly think its a great album.
  • Like 2

I like it but I could not rate such a newly released album that high. Needs time to digest. I don't think it's as strong overall as several albums including PeW, MP, Signals and I like other albums better such as 2112 and hemispheres. To a certain extent it's not fair to compare this album to albums we have heard numerous times for a couple of decades but its where we are at.
  • Like 1

Clockwork Angels is a great album. The reason people may not be rating it towards the top of their list is because the album hasn't been out for that long yet. The other albums have had years for us to listen to and love them. Those albums have been with many Rush fans through good and bad times in their lives. Clockwork Angels is certainly among the bands best work but it hasn't been around for the long haul yet with the fans like the old stuff has. The sentimental/nostalgic feeling people get listening to the old stuff isn't there with Clockwork Angels. Once it's been around for a few more years i'm sure it will rank higher with some fans. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

You answered your own question. CA is the best album since 1980. Hence there are 8 albums prior to that year that are very solid albums. Hemispheres, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, A Farewell to Kings, 2112. Many fans still hold these album in very high regards which leaves CA somewhere after. I personally have it as my fourth Favorite. I truly think its a great album.

MP is 81.

So, hot on the heels of the Album Rankings thread, I'm wondering why not many people have ranked Clockwork Angels as one of their favourite Rush albums. Personally I think it's their best album since 1980, and possibly their best ever. If you don't think so, why not? (I'm just curious.)

I thought I saw a lot of people rank CA pretty high in that thread. It sits at #6 for me. Pretty darn high.

I find it too difficult to rank Rush's albums. I love them all! But in different ways. Clockwork Angels is my number one, along with the rest of them! All I know is, that if I'd written it, I'd be darned proud.
  • Like 1

I'll answer. I find it boring to listen to. I have tried dozens of times to get into it, but it just wont happen. Its certainly not a bad album, its songs are quite competent, but it seems to lack something. Maybe Its the dull production, or what I think is alexs worst tone ever, maybe I just outgrew Rush, I dont know. They seem to be a jack of all trades band now, and a master of none. Its hard to explain, but they've become this weird thing to Me. They're heavy, but not heavy enough, they're sorta technical, but not really, they sorta groove, but not real well. There's no real shining Instrumental moments to me, it just seems kind of blah.
  • Like 4

I think it's a good late career album from a bsnd that's been around for almost 40 years.. Do I rank it as high as the classic era albums from 75 - 82? Not even close. But it's a solid album .
  • Like 2

It's a really strong effort from Rush and I'm glad it's being received well. To me it was a stroke of genius that they included the strings as much as they did, instead of making it synth heavy.

Don't think there is much danger of that considering the last time they were synth heavy was 1987. I'm pining for the synths to come back in a "heavier" role although the strings filled in for the atmosphere quite nicely on this record.

I really like it and the lyrics are beautifully written, like all their albums, but I think they have a lot of albums that are better. Although I think CA is a lot better than T4E. :finbar:

MP is 81.

You are correct sir! :facepalm:

MP is 81.

You are correct sir! :facepalm:

I made the same mistake for awhile. I still think of side one as 70s and side two as 80s, even though I know it's not true.

I've given up on trying to figure out why I don't like the post year 2000 RUSH.I have moved on . I started listening to other bands and other types of music.BUT!!!! if I was going to provide a opinion and I have to search hard for the right words as to not start a shiesse storm of rebuttles . As a amatuer musician myself and destined to never reach the pinnacle of acomplishment of one of my favorite bands, I know just how hard it is to craft a song. Yet alone a song other people like. RUSH had it from the beginning . They may of not hit on all cylanders but they were never boring . THIS STUFF IS BORING. I don't know why it just doesn't click with me . Maybe a fan can overdose on a band and never become excited with new material . I do know at one time in my life RUSH was it . From 1981 to 1985 .Now since 2000 I have not liked one thing they have done. I enjoyed the concerts and are happy they are still doing what they enjoy . I just don't feel it . Quite simply it is not worth anymore brain power trying to figure out. of course if they release more material I will check it out . And I might even go see them again but that is it . I can't blame Nick anymore as I can Al,Ged and Neil . I keep waiting for the next epic RUSH release and everyone was sure this was it . But now we have threads asking why some of us hate it . If it is truley epic there would be no threads to figure out why some hate it .
  • Like 1