Is RUSH better than the Beatles

losingit2k

108 members have voted

1. 1. Is RUSH Better than The Beatles

• Yes
    • No
    • The Same

I would argue that as individual songwriters, Lennon and Mcartney made the Beatkes what they were, but as far as a BAND, there were many far superior to the Beatles.. Will anyone argue that as a band, The Beatles are superior to The Who or Zeppelin?

The Beatles were the most INFLUENTIAL band of all time, but I've never heard anyone rave about them as bring a powerful live act.. They weren't. Lennon and Mcartney were studio geniuses.. They were able to utilize all the technology they had to create brilliant pieces of music, but they weren't , as a foursome, this powerhouse musical unit , not like say, Entwistle and Moon together

Edited by Xanadoood

Pose this question to the members of Rush adn see what a patronizing smirk you'll get.

EXCELLENT point. Rush would laugh hysterically. Rush are brilliant, but even they wouldn't be foolish enough to say they're better than the Beatles. I can respect the fact that a lot of people here would subjectively say they're better. Subjectively, Rush is my favorite band too. But if you can step back and add even one ounce of objectivity to your rose colored glasses, you'll see that The Beatles are clearly the victors here.

Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 1

I would argue that as individual songwriters, Lennon and Mcartney made the Beatkes what they were, but as far as a BAND, there were many far superior to the Beatles.. Will anyone argue that as a band, The Beatles are superior to The Who or Zeppelin?

The Beatles were the most INFLUENTIAL band of all time, but I've never heard anyone rave about them as bring a powerful live act.. They weren't. Lennon and Mcartney were studio geniuses.. They were able to utilize all the technology they had to create brilliant pieces of music, but they weren't , as a foursome, this powerhouse musical unit , not like say, Entwistle and Moon together

It's really not what the Beatles had as musicians, but what they did with what they had. Obviously, members of The Who, Zeppelin, Rush and a whole host of other groups contain better musicians, and if you make your decision based solely on that one factor, The Beatles are a long ways behind. And obviously The Beatles were never known as being an amazing stage act before they stopped playing live altogether. Hell, Kiss was light years ahead of The Beatles in terms of stage performances. There are a lot of aspects where they weren't the best, and very often they were a long distance from being the best, but once you put in all the factors of what WAS great about them and add in all the intangibles, it's The Beatles every time.

Of course, though, you had to mention Zeppelin, and even though they're not even in my top 10 list of fave bands (they'd be somewhere in my top 20), they'd be pretty close to the top if I was making what I thought was a more objective list of the best bands of all time. No, even they weren't The Beatles, but they're one of the few bands who even come close to approaching their level of influence. One thing that blows me away about Zeppelin is when I finally got into getting all their albums (I had Zep IV when I was young, but didn't get their other albums until MANY years later), I was astonished by how many of their songs I already knew. How many other groups have SO many songs still in regular rotation on classic rock radio?

It's really not what the Beatles had as musicians, but what they did with what they had. Obviously, members of The Who, Zeppelin, Rush and a whole host of other groups contain better musicians, and if you make your decision based solely on that one factor, The Beatles are a long ways behind. And obviously The Beatles were never known as being an amazing stage act before they stopped playing live altogether. Hell, Kiss was light years ahead of The Beatles in terms of stage performances. There are a lot of aspects where they weren't the best, and very often they were a long distance from being the best, but once you put in all the factors of what WAS great about them and add in all the intangibles, it's The Beatles every time.

Of course, though, you had to mention Zeppelin, and even though they're not even in my top 10 list of fave bands (they'd be somewhere in my top 20), they'd be pretty close to the top if I was making what I thought was a more objective list of the best bands of all time. No, even they weren't The Beatles, but they're one of the few bands who even come close to approaching their level of influence. One thing that blows me away about Zeppelin is when I finally got into getting all their albums (I had Zep IV when I was young, but didn't get their other albums until MANY years later), I was astonished by how many of their songs I already knew. How many other groups have SO many songs still in regular rotation on classic rock radio?

Yeah, I suppose my point is that, over the years, and again, I adore the Beatles, but it's like you can never say anything bad about them. There are many bands that move me more than the Fab Four, and who I find far more interesting to listen too, but of course, if you say that, a lot of folks think its blasphemous .. The Beatles are the greatest band of all time!! Well no.. I actually think the classic lineup of Yes is a far superior musical unit.. And that includes their songwriting.. The Beatles got the ball rolling for others to follow ..it's all subjective ,I know.

It's hard to compare the two. They are two different "worlds". I like Rush better though. I only own a couple of Beatles' albums.

Ok I'm not going with "Greatest Band Ever" but this is interesting.

http://www.hooksandh...-greatest-ever/

20 Reasons the Beatles are the Greatest Band Ever

June 29, 2008 102 Comments

http://www.hooksandharmony.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/beatles-four-heads.jpgEvery once in a while, I meet someone who just doesn’t get the Beatles, or who doesn’t even like them.

I try to keep an open mind about this, since there are some groups that I simply don’t get, either (see myJoy Division issues). David Bowie? Yeah, I can understand that. Bob Dylan? Sure. But The Beatles? Come on.

Here are 20 reasons why the Beatles are the greatest band ever:

• During the week of April 4, 1964, The Beatles occupied the top five positions on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart (12 in the Hot 100), the top 2 positions on the albums chart, the no. 1 position in the British singles chart, the first two positions in the British albums chart and the no. 1 position in the British EP chart, – the most complete domination of the British and American charts in history. Today, you’re lucky to have one top 10 album and single at the same time.

• To date, the Beatles have sold over 1 billion records. That’s billion, with a B.

• They have the most no. 1 albums in the British album charts (15), and 17 No. 1 hits.

• They hold the record for the group with the longest span between no. 1 albums in the Billboard albums chart (36 years and 51 weeks, 1964 to 2001). In 2000 – 20 years after John Lennon was killed, their greatest hits compilation, 1, spent eight weeks at no. 1 and sold 13 million copies in its first month of release.

• They boast 20 No. 1 hits in the United States, (19 No. 1 albums), with 24 consecutive Top 10 hits from 1964 to 1976 (six years after they broke up), a record for a group. They also have 12 no. 1 hits in Germany, 23 in Australia, 21 in the Netherlands, 22 in Canada, and 13 in Malaysia.

• According to the United World Chart, the Beatles have 16 of the 100 most successful tracks of all time, and also 7 of the 100 most successful albums in history.

• The Beatles recorded four of the Top 10 Greatest Albums of All Time, according toRolling Stone magazine, and three of the Top Five. (I will ignore the fact that Abbey Road was only No. 14. Blasphemy.)

• They were ground-breaking pioneers almost from the beginning, being the first group ever to employ feedback in 1964′s “I Feel Fine.” One of their first hits, “A Hard Day’s Night,” features an opening chord so revolutionary that people are still trying to figure out. 1965′s Rubber Soul and the follow-up, Revolver, saw more innovation, from the use of a sitar in “Norwegian Wood” to tape loops in “Tomorrow Never Knows.” Then there are the backwards vocals in “Rain” (a first) and a Moog synthesizer on several songs on 1969′s Abbey Road.

• Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Heart’s Club Band is arguably the greatest album ever made(indeed, it topped Rolling Stone‘s list). While it doesn’t have the strongest material, the album was a landmark in recording. It popularized the concept album – something that would serve as inspiration to The Who and Pink Floyd.

• “A Day in the Life” from Sgt. Pepper may have been the crowning achievement of the group – a five and a half minute song composed of two suites – one by Lennon, one by Paul McCartney – that are totally different in sound and texture, yet complement each other perfectly. The song features two cacophonous crescendos from an orchestra, the final one climaxing in a single E major piano chord that lasts 42 seconds.

• One may not like songs such as “Yesterday” and “Hey Jude,” but they are unrivaled in their popularity, and the melodies are unforgettable.

• Paul McCartney actually dreamed the tune to “Yesterday.”

• “Helter Skelter” and “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)” are considered two of the first heavy metal songs.

• They have 23 of the Top 500 songs of all time, again according to Rolling Stone - the most of any artist.

• Their iconic No. 1 singles notwithstanding (“Love Me Do”, “From Me to You”, “She Loves You”, “I Want to Hold Your Hand”, “Can’t Buy Me Love”, “A Hard Day’s Night”, “I Feel Fine”, “Eight Days a Week”, “Ticket to Ride”, “Help!”, “Yesterday”, “Day Tripper”, “We Can Work It Out”, “Paperback Writer”, “Yellow Submarine”, “Eleanor Rigby”, “Penny Lane”, “All You Need Is Love”, “Hello, Goodbye”, “Lady Madonna”, “Hey Jude”, “Get Back”, “The Ballad of John and Yoko”, “Something”, “Come Together”, “Let It Be” and “The Long and Winding Road”), some of their best songs weren’t even on any singles or B-sides: “I Should Have Known Better,” “You Won’t See Me,” “For No One,” “Across the Universe,” “Two of Us,” “Dear Prudence,” and “Because” are all just album filler.

• They revolutionized the science of recording, using multiple tracks instead of playing live. Producer George Martin used varying tape speeds to make Lennon’s voice sound high (“Tomorrow Never Knows”) and slow (“Strawberry Fields Forever”); he also brought in string musicians to accompany certain songs (“Yesterday”). In another session, McCartney utilized bass drums halfway down a corridor to achieve a staccato sound in “Mother Nature’s Son.”

• In an age where other people wrote songs for the flavor of the day – think the Brill Building songwriters doing all the work for the Shangri-Las and the Dixie Cups – The Beatles surprised everyone by penning their own hits from the beginning. As a result, they helped usher the singer-songwriter movement that popularized the late 1960s.

• Their ability to cross over from media and teen idols to musical innovators is one-of-a-kind. Their chart success is unparalleled; but despite their popularity, they managed to continue to improve throughout their career.

• Their place in popular culture is unrivaled – Their movies, their appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show (in which they played to 74 million people), the “bigger than Jesus” comment, the refusal to play in concert after 1966, the Maharishi, the painstaking production work, the beginnings of the drug culture and LSD fad, “Helter Skelter” and Charles Manson, the “Paul is Dead” phenomenon, Yoko Ono, the rooftop concert, the cover of Abbey Road, the subsequent solo years, and the hit singles created from rough demos of the late Lennon.

• They accomplished all this in seven years.

I still don't like them, though! They are one of those bands, along with Pink Floyd, where I can appreciate their achievements and understand why people like them, but just don't like the songs or their music. I feel like I'm missing out somehow! There are so many musicians that I do like who were influenced by those bands. Occasionally I'll put on some of the Beatles' (or Floyd's) music- just to see if maybe I'll grow into it, but I never do. :(

So for me, there is no contest- Rush wins!

I second that!

I too can't listen to Pink Floyd. Don't know your reasons as to why not, but I get way too depressed. This statement might poke some of you in the eye, but had it not been The Beatles, it would have been someone else.

Yep, I'm being an old d*ck here :poke:

http://www.hooksandharmony.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/beatles-four-heads.jpgEvery once in a while, I meet someone who just doesn’t get the Beatles, or who doesn’t even like them.

I try to keep an open mind about this, since there are some groups that I simply don’t get, either (see myJoy Division issues). David Bowie? Yeah, I can understand that. Bob Dylan? Sure. But The Beatles? Come on.

• During the week of April 4, 1964, The Beatles occupied the top five positions on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart (12 in the Hot 100), the top 2 positions on the albums chart, the no. 1 position in the British singles chart, the first two positions in the British albums chart and the no. 1 position in the British EP chart, – the most complete domination of the British and American charts in history. Today, you’re lucky to have one top 10 album and single at the same time.

• To date, the Beatles have sold over 1 billion records. That’s billion, with a B.

• They have the most no. 1 albums in the British album charts (15), and 17 No. 1 hits.

• They hold the record for the group with the longest span between no. 1 albums in the Billboard albums chart (36 years and 51 weeks, 1964 to 2001). In 2000 – 20 years after John Lennon was killed, their greatest hits compilation, 1, spent eight weeks at no. 1 and sold 13 million copies in its first month of release.

• They boast 20 No. 1 hits in the United States, (19 No. 1 albums), with 24 consecutive Top 10 hits from 1964 to 1976 (six years after they broke up), a record for a group. They also have 12 no. 1 hits in Germany, 23 in Australia, 21 in the Netherlands, 22 in Canada, and 13 in Malaysia.

• According to the United World Chart, the Beatles have 16 of the 100 most successful tracks of all time, and also 7 of the 100 most successful albums in history.

• The Beatles recorded four of the Top 10 Greatest Albums of All Time, according toRolling Stone magazine, and three of the Top Five. (I will ignore the fact that Abbey Road was only No. 14. Blasphemy.)

• They were ground-breaking pioneers almost from the beginning, being the first group ever to employ feedback in 1964′s “I Feel Fine.” One of their first hits, “A Hard Day’s Night,” features an opening chord so revolutionary that people are still trying to figure out. 1965′s Rubber Soul and the follow-up, Revolver, saw more innovation, from the use of a sitar in “Norwegian Wood” to tape loops in “Tomorrow Never Knows.” Then there are the backwards vocals in “Rain” (a first) and a Moog synthesizer on several songs on 1969′s Abbey Road.

• Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Heart’s Club Band is arguably the greatest album ever made(indeed, it topped Rolling Stone‘s list). While it doesn’t have the strongest material, the album was a landmark in recording. It popularized the concept album – something that would serve as inspiration to The Who and Pink Floyd.

• “A Day in the Life” from Sgt. Pepper may have been the crowning achievement of the group – a five and a half minute song composed of two suites – one by Lennon, one by Paul McCartney – that are totally different in sound and texture, yet complement each other perfectly. The song features two cacophonous crescendos from an orchestra, the final one climaxing in a single E major piano chord that lasts 42 seconds.

• One may not like songs such as “Yesterday” and “Hey Jude,” but they are unrivaled in their popularity, and the melodies are unforgettable.

• “Helter Skelter” and “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)” are considered two of the first heavy metal songs.

• They have 23 of the Top 500 songs of all time, again according to Rolling Stone - the most of any artist.

• Their iconic No. 1 singles notwithstanding (“Love Me Do”, “From Me to You”, “She Loves You”, “I Want to Hold Your Hand”, “Can’t Buy Me Love”, “A Hard Day’s Night”, “I Feel Fine”, “Eight Days a Week”, “Ticket to Ride”, “Help!”, “Yesterday”, “Day Tripper”, “We Can Work It Out”, “Paperback Writer”, “Yellow Submarine”, “Eleanor Rigby”, “Penny Lane”, “All You Need Is Love”, “Hello, Goodbye”, “Lady Madonna”, “Hey Jude”, “Get Back”, “The Ballad of John and Yoko”, “Something”, “Come Together”, “Let It Be” and “The Long and Winding Road”), some of their best songs weren’t even on any singles or B-sides: “I Should Have Known Better,” “You Won’t See Me,” “For No One,” “Across the Universe,” “Two of Us,” “Dear Prudence,” and “Because” are all just album filler.

• They revolutionized the science of recording, using multiple tracks instead of playing live. Producer George Martin used varying tape speeds to make Lennon’s voice sound high (“Tomorrow Never Knows”) and slow (“Strawberry Fields Forever”); he also brought in string musicians to accompany certain songs (“Yesterday”). In another session, McCartney utilized bass drums halfway down a corridor to achieve a staccato sound in “Mother Nature’s Son.”

• In an age where other people wrote songs for the flavor of the day – think the Brill Building songwriters doing all the work for the Shangri-Las and the Dixie Cups – The Beatles surprised everyone by penning their own hits from the beginning. As a result, they helped usher the singer-songwriter movement that popularized the late 1960s.

• Their ability to cross over from media and teen idols to musical innovators is one-of-a-kind. Their chart success is unparalleled; but despite their popularity, they managed to continue to improve throughout their career.

• Their place in popular culture is unrivaled – Their movies, their appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show (in which they played to 74 million people), the “bigger than Jesus” comment, the refusal to play in concert after 1966, the Maharishi, the painstaking production work, the beginnings of the drug culture and LSD fad, “Helter Skelter” and Charles Manson, the “Paul is Dead” phenomenon, Yoko Ono, the rooftop concert, the cover of Abbey Road, the subsequent solo years, and the hit singles created from rough demos of the late Lennon.

I still don't like them, though! They are one of those bands, along with Pink Floyd, where I can appreciate their achievements and understand why people like them, but just don't like the songs or their music. I feel like I'm missing out somehow! There are so many musicians that I do like who were influenced by those bands. Occasionally I'll put on some of the Beatles' (or Floyd's) music- just to see if maybe I'll grow into it, but I never do. :(

I second that!

I too can't listen to Pink Floyd. Don't know your reasons as to why not, but I get way too depressed. This statement might poke some of you in the eye, but had it not been The Beatles, it would have been someone else.

Focus on 1967-1973 Pink Floyd like I do before they got depressing. That said, Wish You Were Here isn't really depressing. Animals is pretty bleak lyrically, but the lyrics only make up a small part of the album and the music is absolutely KILLER.

I can't listen to The Wall or The Final Cut, as THAT is too depressing, but they weren't like that for most of their career at all.

I second that!

Focus on 1967-1973 Pink Floyd like I do before they got depressing. That said, Wish You Were Here isn't really depressing. Animals is pretty bleak lyrically, but the lyrics only make up a small part of the album and the music is absolutely KILLER.

I can't listen to The Wall or The Final Cut, as THAT is too depressing, but they weren't like that for most of their career at all.

Thanks for the suggestion Goober :). I should give them a go. I heard a little from their Pulse concert, The Wall and Final Cut and to me those were very depressing. Happy music usually puts me in that mood, so that Pink Floyd does the same with depressing music surprises me.

It's almost impossible to vote in this poll. I can't say this or that band is better. So I'll go with...

Rush - best band in the clockwork universe.

The Beatles - best band across the universe.

• Like 4

that's kinda like saying is red better than blue.. it's all a matter of opinion.

than being said, Rush eats Beatles for breakfast!!!

• Like 1

I'll argue Zep over the Beatles. They're obviously better musicians, and I think their songwriting was stronger, too. They were masters in the studio and live. And they influenced both the public perception of music and musicians ( the Beatles influenced the former, and Rush only the latter.

And to answer Goo er's question, no one has more songs on classic rock radio then Zep. Half of the Beatles' stuff is considered oldies, not classic, and the same is true to a lesser extent for the Stones. But almost every station has a time devoted every day or week just to Zeppelin (around me every day at 8 is "Getting the Led Out" on one station, and another has "Whole lotta Led" at 9). Each station goes deep into the catalog so of their studio work you probably have a good chance of hearing 75% of their recorded music. And I've heard every single song they've recorded multiple times (even Hats Off and Carouselambra). You can't say the same about anyone else.

It's almost impossible to vote in this poll. I can't say this or that band is better. So I'll go with...

Rush - best band in the clockwork universe.

The Beatles - best band across the universe.

Ahh.. greyfriar brings feng shui to the thread. :)

• Like 1

I'll argue Zep over the Beatles. They're obviously better musicians, and I think their songwriting was stronger, too. They were masters in the studio and live. And they influenced both the public perception of music and musicians ( the Beatles influenced the former, and Rush only the latter.

And to answer Goo er's question, no one has more songs on classic rock radio then Zep. Half of the Beatles' stuff is considered oldies, not classic, and the same is true to a lesser extent for the Stones. But almost every station has a time devoted every day or week just to Zeppelin (around me every day at 8 is "Getting the Led Out" on one station, and another has "Whole lotta Led" at 9). Each station goes deep into the catalog so of their studio work you probably have a good chance of hearing 75% of their recorded music. And I've heard every single song they've recorded multiple times (even Hats Off and Carouselambra). You can't say the same about anyone else.

Ahh.. LedRush tries to hijack the thread. :LOL:

I'm just answering the questions :P

that's kinda like saying is red better than blue.. it's all a matter of opinion.

than being said, Rush eats Beatles for breakfast!!!

Ahh.. Breakfast With The Beatles. One of the most popular programming segments/shows on FM radio in the United States. ;)

• Like 2

I'm just answering the questions :P

I wasn't really asking a question. The one at the end of my thread was rhetorical. ;)

Still, even though Zep is much more worthy than Rush in terms of the best band of all time title, still The Beatles are WAY ahead for all the reasons I stated earlier.

The Beatles. It's not even close. I adore Rush, but they'll never reach the dizzy heights of Strawberry Fields Forever, or side 2 of Abbey Road. They'd probably tell you that themselves.

I'm not surprised by the poll though. This is a RUSH forum after all.

• Like 3

I say Rush is better than Beatles, in my personal opinion. Why? It's just that I enjoy what Rush does better than the Beatles, plain and simple. Sure, the Beatles changed the game that is music and sold a billion albums and that's nice and all, but I just don't care about that when listening to music and I would make this argument for any other band that I love as much as Rush.

For me, a better band is going to be the band that I find their music to be very enjoyable and very connecting and Rush is the band does that to me better than the Beatles, easy as that.

Edited by Anguyen92
  • Like 1

Like everyone else here, I love Rush. But The Beatles are the greatest band ever.

As an aside, I'd also argue that the ability to competently play every instrument on a commercially released album, as McCartney has done, is pretty good evidence of being a good musician.

McCartney can stand on his own against ANYONE as a bass player. The man is a master.