Is RUSH better than the Beatles

losingit2k

108 members have voted

1. 1. Is RUSH Better than The Beatles

• Yes
    • No
    • The Same

It's a terrible comparision. Two TOTALLY different types of bands/music. That said, while Rush is generally more technical and heavier to play an instrument to (I started on bass worshipping Geddy Lee's style) the Beatles music is more emotional and melodic to me. Plus they had the benefit of four guys with different sounding voices taking turns singing on each album. With Rush, it's just Geddy's voice on everything which can get boring after awhile to me especially the most recent albums where his voice really started to lose it's range and power.

Ok here's the issue I have.. And this isn't the the Beatles fault..

I just saw , and I didn't look but I assume, is the latest issue of rolling stone.. The 100 greatest Beatles songs.. Really? Do we need another of these f*ckin lists on the Beatles?

• Like 2

Every once in a while someone comes up and lists qualities like "complex music" and "musical chops": by those qualities alone, probably Rush should be the greatest band in the world. But I don't agree with this kind of analysis. You got to add to the plate the impact the music had in people's lifes. And in that, the Beatles are alone.

This would make dream theater and yngwie top bands/acts. (Using complex as measuring stick)

Edited by Ancient Ways

It's a terrible comparision. Two TOTALLY different types of bands/music. That said, while Rush is generally more technical and heavier to play an instrument to (I started on bass worshipping Geddy Lee's style) the Beatles music is more emotional and melodic to me. Plus they had the benefit of four guys with different sounding voices taking turns singing on each album. With Rush, it's just Geddy's voice on everything which can get boring after awhile to me especially the most recent albums where his voice really started to lose it's range and power.

lol, don't even go there...Ged's getting older, cut him some slack.

It's all based on opinion, but The Beatles had more of an advantage with all of the media attention and all the stuff that Rush didn't get their fair share of. However, nobody from The Beatles actually went to school for a music profession. Although Alex and Geddy dropped out, Neil actually went to Berklee Collage of Music. So I must say that Rush is better than the Beatles due to education.

But it's still a matter of opinion.

The Beatles had an advantage of being in the right place at the right time, for sure, but it was because they were musical geniuses that they were as popular and influential as they've been. Yes, Rush are better technical musicians and are brilliant, but you just can't underestimate the sheer power of crafting songs that speaks to a generation and continues to speak to people the way The Beatles have on the level they have.

The funny thing is, I was listening to a Beatles song this morning after I saw this thread. It was the song Two Of Us from Let It Be. I tried to think of any Rush song that could compare in terms of melodicism, accessibility and message, and the only song I could really think of was Closer to the Heart, and MAYBE Tom Sawyer. Don't get me wrong, I LOOOOOVE Rush, and personally they are my favorite band, but they don't come anywhere close to The Beatles in terms of melody, accessibility, profundity, influence and importance.

Bon Jovi writes melodic little ditties as well .. Are they better than Rush?

It's all based on opinion, but The Beatles had more of an advantage with all of the media attention and all the stuff that Rush didn't get their fair share of. However, nobody from The Beatles actually went to school for a music profession. Although Alex and Geddy dropped out, Neil actually went to Berklee Collage of Music. So I must say that Rush is better than the Beatles due to education.

The Beatles had an advantage of being in the right place at the right time, for sure, but it was because they were musical geniuses that they were as popular and influential as they've been. Yes, Rush are better technical musicians and are brilliant, but you just can't underestimate the sheer power of crafting songs that speaks to a generation and continues to speak to people the way The Beatles have on the level they have.

The funny thing is, I was listening to a Beatles song this morning after I saw this thread. It was the song Two Of Us from Let It Be. I tried to think of any Rush song that could compare in terms of melodicism, accessibility and message, and the only song I could really think of was Closer to the Heart, and MAYBE Tom Sawyer. Don't get me wrong, I LOOOOOVE Rush, and personally they are my favorite band, but they don't come anywhere close to The Beatles in terms of melody, accessibility, profundity, influence and importance.

Straw man!

Erm. Unless I've completely glossed over this chapter of Neil's life for the past 30 years, I don't recall him ever attending Berklee...

This is the Rush Forum, so I expect Rush to win. But, as you can tell by the picture attached to my profile, I voted for the Beatles. I lived through Beatlemania. It was a world wide phenomenon that changed everything. The Beatles were under the microscope 24/7. Not a day went by where you didn't hear their music or news about them. They produced several high quality albums in a short period of time under pressure and always moved the bar higher with each one, bringing new direction. On top of that, they had to tour an insane amount of time and live as prisoners in their hotel, be accessible to the public constantly, and turn out movies to boot. If they smoked weed along the way, it was to relieve the suffocating demands they were under, who could blame them? I will always cherish growing up with the Beatles and how they played an important part in my life.
  • Like 1

What kind of nobgobbler would say that the Beatles were overrated? I don't even like them but man people are real stupid on this forum.

Now if the poll said "Who do you prefer..."

The Beatles are rated by many/most as the best ever. That means anyone who disagrees that they are the best thinks they are overrated.

I haven't read all of the replies but I've read most, so excuse me if I repeat what others have said.

To me, this is a silly debate ( with all do respect).

The Beatles are The Beatles and Rush is Rush. There is no sense in trying to make a comparison. Music is so individualistic and representative of the times and styles and culture. Who is or is not the better "musician" is a moot point. Do you like The Beatles and have they written some awesome songs? For me yes. Do I listen to Rush more and have they touched me on different level? No doubt. But that doesn't make one band "better" than the other.

IMO

I was thinking

Please let me know how you feel.

I feel that's your problem right there.

I would like to post you problems, but where does one start?

That would seem to be less of a problem than "when does one stop"? ;)

• Like 1

I like Jovi but Umm? No! :no:

I like Jovi but Umm? No! :no:

idk. they've sold more albums and draw bigger crowds.

then again, nickelback draws bigger crowds, too. and we know they're better than the beatles.

• Like 1

I think the wisdom of Apples vs. Oranges has gained enough of a foothold in this thread that we can stop beating ourselves up.

But, there is one misconception that I would like to clear up.

There is a perception that the Beatles weren't much of a live band. But the reason they became famous was that their act was so shocking and powerful that their popularity eclipsed the other, more established acts in England at the time. Starting humbly as a mediocre skiffle band, they made three long trips to play in Hamburg in the early '60s, before they were famous.They played many hours a night, every night, sleeping in dank storerooms, drinking cases of beer and taking preludin to keep going. When they returned to playing the UK and were noticed by Brian Epstein, they could play hundreds of songs, and play them well.

As John Lennon has said: "no one in England could touch us."

It was Epstein that got the Beatles to change their rowdy behavior, stop wearing jeans and leather, put on suits, stop swearing and drinking on stage, and act professional.

The Beatles rightly trusted Epstein to get them out of Liverpool and conquer England, then the rest of the world.

Reading Bob Spitz' excellent book really opened my eyes to how the Beatles of '62 used to drop peoples' jaws at live shows.

And if you don't think Ringo was a good drummer, listen to Ticket to Ride again.

• Like 2

I was thinking

No, no, no!

You've made yourself look a complete idiot with this thread any thinking person would deduce that. You are comparing the most culturally significant band in the Western world negatively against a relatively obscure niche band from Canada.

I was thinking

Quite. I'm a prig. I'm a bully. I'm "loud" and outspoken. Overbearing and aggressive. In fact lots of negative things that I could stop doing.

This guy can never stop being an idiot because he clearly isn't self-aware.

Rush are better than The Beatles. Snort.

Edited by Tony R

, nobody from The Beatles actually went to school for a music profession.

So I must say that Rush is better than the Beatles due to education.

What. The. f**k. Are. You. On. And why have you stopped taking it?

I think it's called "trying to get a rise" my poor exasperated one :sigh:

I dunno Steevo, I reckon he was serious. It was his first post and all. Jeezus, have I been WHOOSHED?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: Really, no. The significance and contribution of The Beatles to popular music is difficult to overstate. Rush is my favourite band, but The Beatles are light-years ahead when it comes to who is a "better" band (a highly subjective metric).

I was thinking

Quite. I'm a prig. I'm a bully. I'm "loud" and outspoken. Overbearing and aggressive. In fact lots of negative things that I could stop doing.

This guy can never stop being and idiot because he clearly isn't self-aware.

That's what they were saying back on Ken's forum...

Am I Evil or Divine? I'm the Last in Line!!!!!!

:NP: :blah: :guitar: :haz:

Awesome. I remember this video constantly being on MTV circa summer of '84.

It's almost impossible to vote in this poll. I can't say this or that band is better. So I'll go with...

Rush - best band in the clockwork universe.

The Beatles - best band across the universe.

Ahh.. greyfriar brings feng shui to the thread. :)

Seems to me Feng Shui isn't enough, I think we need the bringer of balance in here. ;)

It's almost impossible to vote in this poll. I can't say this or that band is better. So I'll go with...

Rush - best band in the clockwork universe.

The Beatles - best band across the universe.

Ahh.. greyfriar brings feng shui to the thread. :)

Seems to me Feng Shui isn't enough, I think we need the bringer of balance in here. ;)

What's this got to do with mushrooms? Ha? Wha'?