Just to show how old we are...

Rod in Toronto

That´s cool, x1yyz! I am actually going to see them myself in less than a month! They are coming for the Rock in Rio Festival and I didn´t wanna go because it´s always so crowded and it was sold out. As it turns out they´re playing in Curitiba, down south in Brazil, with Ghost and Slayer in tow. I negotiated a few days off with my boss and will be travelling south to check them out. I´m so tired and stressed at work these days, and this comes at a perfect time to lay off some of the stress. The current setlist is awesome! Plus I haven´t been to Curitiba in more than 10 years, and it´s a great city.

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 1

Coincidently, I found today this very old interview with Doogie White, who also auditioned for lead singer of Maiden when Bruce left: http://www.metal-rules.com/zine/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=317&Itemid=54

The highlight of the interview for me:

"Metal-Rules: You auditioned for Iron Maiden after Bruce Dickinson left back in the early 90s. How was it?

Doogie White: Long time ago, man... 1993 I think it was, November or something, certainly coming up to christmas, because they ruined my christmas when they gave the job to Blaze [bayley]"

...20 years ago, August 28th 1993, I was 32 and had just begun my first semester at UW-La Crosse, which was my second attempt at getting a college education. 14 years earlier, I went to college right out of high school, and I wasted 5 semesters due to immaturity and a serious need to skip class and go get stoned..... :oops:

I was heavily into Queensryche and Soundgarden back then, which was a GOOD thing. They ROCKED!! :haz:

...20 years ago, August 28th 1993, Bruce Dickinson did his last (by then) gig with Iron Maiden. The show was full of theatrics, and made it into a DVD called Raising Hell. The entire thing can be found here though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZV1TP_WaJ1E

I was on my second year in college then, and was shocked to hear that he had decided to leave. My first time seeing them was only a few month before then, on the Fear of the Dark Tour, and now my favourite band ever was falling apart! I absolutely hated everything they did with Blaze, and thank God Bruce returned in 1999. Time does fly eh?

I saw Iron Maiden once in the eighties here:

http://www.maiden-world.com/live/images/thumb/7/7b/1985-03-21_San_Francisco_inlay.jpg/800px-1985-03-21_San_Francisco_inlay.jpg

I saw them in 1980 . :codger:

Still have my ticket .

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x117/coxy2112/ironmaiden2001.jpg

have you seen them with bruce?

I`m not really a Maiden fan ...Sorry .

Umist was a Rock Disco every saturday , which I went religious for about 7 years none stop .

So on that night there was no Disco it was a couple of bands .

Of course most people went anyway.

So did I.

So I could`nt even tell you sang .

I could be wrong as it was a very long time ago , but I`m sure they were unsigned . ?

I was slowly drifting into the wonderful world of Prog at that time and I was`nt very keen on Maiden .

Sorry .

Oh, I was 38 at the time. :codger:

Now , this makes me feel old because I still remember watching this with my parents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOagjtyH1fM

I was watching that night too. It changed my life forever.

I saw them in 1980 . :codger:

Still have my ticket .

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x117/coxy2112/ironmaiden2001.jpg

have you seen them with bruce?

I`m not really a Maiden fan ...Sorry .

Umist was a Rock Disco every saturday , which I went religious for about 7 years none stop .

So on that night there was no Disco it was a couple of bands .

Of course most people went anyway.

So did I.

So I could`nt even tell you sang .

I could be wrong as it was a very long time ago , but I`m sure they were unsigned . ?

I was slowly drifting into the wonderful world of Prog at that time and I was`nt very keen on Maiden .

Sorry .

ah, you should revisit some of their stuff sometime - lots of prog influence in a lot of their music

That´s cool, x1yyz! I am actually going to see them myself in less than a month! They are coming for the Rock in Rio Festival and I didn´t wanna go because it´s always so crowded and it was sold out. As it turns out they´re playing in Curitiba, down south in Brazil, with Ghost and Slayer in tow. I negotiated a few days off with my boss and will be travelling south to check them out. I´m so tired and stressed at work these days, and this comes at a perfect time to lay off some of the stress. The current setlist is awesome! Plus I haven´t been to Curitiba in more than 10 years, and it´s a great city.

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

My wife lived in Brazil for a couple years. She keeps promising to take me there sometime. I think I will have to coordinate that trip with a Maiden tour stop somewhere in or near Rio.

I should probably hang out with you and we could go to the show together!

Sounds like a plan, sitboaf! Maiden has been coming to Brazil every tour since 1992, and their crowds just get bigger and bigger every year. They´re coming for the new edition of Rock in Rio in a few weeks, and will entend the tour through a few more cities - that´s why I´ll catch them in Curitiba, where there´ll be less people than in Rio - the show will be on a Tuesday!

Out of curiosity, what was your wife doing around these parts?

We got this on PPV . What a shit show, they were drunk and sloppy . Cheese , pure cheese

Sounds like a plan, sitboaf! Maiden has been coming to Brazil every tour since 1992, and their crowds just get bigger and bigger every year. They´re coming for the new edition of Rock in Rio in a few weeks, and will entend the tour through a few more cities - that´s why I´ll catch them in Curitiba, where there´ll be less people than in Rio - the show will be on a Tuesday!

Out of curiosity, what was your wife doing around these parts?

Studying Brazilian economic strategy - and learning Brazilian Portuguese. ;)

When we went to Portugal, she did all the talking, but we discovered that the Portuguese don't trust Brazilians! I think she started telling people we were American.

Brazilian economic strategy?!?!? I didn´t even know we had one. :blink:

For all I care, the strategy of our congressmen here seems to be "steal all you can and as fast as you can". :codger:

I went to Portugal this year and had a different experience when I said I was Brazilian...maybe things have changed recently!?!? My sister lives in Lisbon, and she often says they admire the Brazilian´s joie de vivre, the music and whatnot. :huh:

• Like 1

We got this on PPV . What a shit show, they were drunk and sloppy . Cheese , pure cheese

I've tried watching boots from the fear of the dark era and most of them just arent that good. I mean, any maiden show is a good show, but bruce's raspy vocals on a lot of those dates and overall sloppy and unenthusiastic performances were a sign that the band needed a break