Just to show how old we are...

Rod in Toronto

...20 years ago, August 28th 1993, Bruce Dickinson did his last (by then) gig with Iron Maiden. The show was full of theatrics, and made it into a DVD called Raising Hell. The entire thing can be found here though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZV1TP_WaJ1E

I was on my second year in college then, and was shocked to hear that he had decided to leave. My first time seeing them was only a few month before then, on the Fear of the Dark Tour, and now my favourite band ever was falling apart! I absolutely hated everything they did with Blaze, and thank God Bruce returned in 1999. Time does fly eh?

I haven't watched this concert since the mid 90s probably. I do remember the setlist being pretty solid and Iron Maiden playing a small intimate club gig with Bruce is certainly something to see. I also believe the people in attendance were all members of Maiden's fan club.

Compared to a few breakups we saw recently (Mike Portnoy vs. Dream Theater, Geoff Tate vs. Queensrÿche, Scott Weiland and Stone Temple Pilots), Bruce leaving Maiden was quieter than a Librarian´s convention. Of course back then we didn´t have the mega-exposure we have today with the internet, blogging, facebook and whatnot, so we relied on magazine interviews. I do remember some comments from Bruce about how Steve Harris dominated the creative process and kept control of everything Maiden. I also remember a VERY polite interview with Nicko where he said that "If Bruce wanted to leave, ok...we would like to carry on". Aside from that, both sides were very quiet. I think both sides quickly realized that they had a lot to lose without each other, and getting back together was a no brainer.

Compared to a few breakups we saw recently (Mike Portnoy vs. Dream Theater, Geoff Tate vs. Queensrÿche, Scott Weiland and Stone Temple Pilots), Bruce leaving Maiden was quieter than a Librarian´s convention. Of course back then we didn´t have the mega-exposure we have today with the internet, blogging, facebook and whatnot, so we relied on magazine interviews. I do remember some comments from Bruce about how Steve Harris dominated the creative process and kept control of everything Maiden. I also remember a VERY polite interview with Nicko where he said that "If Bruce wanted to leave, ok...we would like to carry on". Aside from that, both sides were very quiet. I think both sides quickly realized that they had a lot to lose without each other, and getting back together was a no brainer.

Yeah, it was quite gentlemanly, handbags at 50 paces kind of thing. There were accusations of Bruce coasting through gigs. Mick Wall's biography didn't shine too much light on it either.But yeah, thank God he came back. I love Virus, and Blaze's live version of Afraid to Shoot Strangers. But that's it.

Way before the dvd and vhs that was originally shown on pay per view! Another performance ruined by that idiot Gers, and watching this many years later when I was older I realized how shitty and dumb the "magic" by Simon Drake was. David Copperfield he ain't!

Gers, or to be more accurate, Maiden's appendix. I'm probably short selling the appendix, to be fair.

• Like 1

Yeah, the magic tricks were really corny...but then again, what part of Maiden´s live show isn´t? They have a "scary monster" walking on stage at 0.00000005mph who doesn´t hurt anybody fer chrissakes... :P :P . But I see your point.

Now that Hatchetaxe&saw mentioned it, I remember Steve accusing Bruce of not giving 100% on live shows when they had a smaller sclae or when they were not filming. That would never happen today, with all concerts having hunderds of fans with cameras. And as far as Bruce returning, I think that Rod Smallwood had a HUGE part on it. Steve never swalloed the fact that Bruce got center stage after he joined (and a lot of the attention from the fans too), and since he returned in 1999 they are more comfortable with each other.

Yeah, it was quite gentlemanly, handbags at 50 paces kind of thing. There were accusations of Bruce coasting through gigs. Mick Wall's biography didn't shine too much light on it either.But yeah, thank God he came back. I love Virus, and Blaze's live version of Afraid to Shoot Strangers. But that's it.

I don't like ANY version of afraid to shoot strangers

• Like 1

I don't like ANY version of afraid to shoot strangers

I do not like Bruce's version, studio or live, it's anaemic. But, it suited Blaze's lower register.

This made me feel old:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cysheUZ2YOY

I remember thinking how mature some of the fans in the audience looked, and lamenting that alas! I was as ancient as them! :LOL:

(A big WTF moment was the following act, which was Björk's Cocoon. If you listen carefully you can probably hear the door slam as the Maiden fans exit! :D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-RSfP7kdvw

I was on my second year in college then, and was shocked to hear that he had decided to leave. My first time seeing them was only a few month before then, on the Fear of the Dark Tour, and now my favourite band ever was falling apart! I absolutely hated everything they did with Blaze, and thank God Bruce returned in 1999. Time does fly eh?

My first time seeing them was in '82 (at age 18), on the Number of the Beast tour \m/ But then I didn't see them again until last year. I'm lucky to have never heard any of the Blaze stuff, and was very happy to see that the whole band still rocks as hard as they ever did!