"Gourmet" Donuts-Homer says"MMMMMMMMMMM.........."

pjbear05

Last weekend's entertainment section of the local fish wrap did a story on high-end donut shops. We're not talking Dunkin Donuts or Tim Horton's here, but local independent shops who are selling something more than the run of the mill sinker.

I saw a description for one such place and said "hey that's close by, need to try to find this place". Went around yesterday about 5 pm and they were closed-sign on the door said "Hours 7 am-until we run out."

So at 7:15 this morning I walk into Mojo Donuts and start perusing all the selections while waiting to be served.

All sorts of yummy treats on display. Red Devil Heaven, Heath bar crunch topped, M&M topped, guava jelly filled & key lime custard filled (Hey, it's South Florida local flava) blueberry cream, tiramisu, various fritters, old fashioned cake donuts, and something called a maple bacon log that looked absolutely divine-raised dough, dark glazed, and bombed with chunks o' bacon.

Grabbed a half dozen and a couple of apple fritters and headed home. Karen and I selected a couple of donuts each, cut them in half (they're all fairly big donuts), poured out some Joe, and went to it.

The tiramisu donut was great with the interplay of the dough and the mascarpone filling. Key lime custard was tangy, sharp and had a bite back to it that may not please everybody.

But OMG that maple bacon log-UNbeleivable! The combination of maple glaze, bacon chunks, and yeasty raised dough... Whoa, I can't go on, it's just something you have to experience for yourself. Utter bliss!

Between two of these donuts, half an orange and coffee and I was sated-odd for a Saturday, when I'm usually having a giant breakfast.

Homer would go berserk in one of these places. These folks definitely got their mojo workin!

I've seen stories on the infamous Voodoo Donuts in Portland, anymore donut crazies out there? :dweez:

*looks at hips*

Uhm yeah, just a little bit. But I grew up in Orange County where we don't have any "gourmet" shops that I know of but a lot of family-owned independent shops that are awesome.

:drool:

I've heard there is a place in Los Angeles where you can build your own doughnut and watch it made in front of you. As in you pick your dougnut, then your glaze and then toppings and watch it made in front of you.