Chain Lightning

jwoods89

Thanks to Jwoods and all the posters in this thread for inspiring me to put Presto in the car. I had a great drive home after work, smiling all the way! I had forgotten how much I love Neil's drumming on this!
  • Like 2

What! The guitar solo if f'ing fantastic. I wonder if it was one take that they just reversed, or a few parts done seperately and turned around and pasted in together. Whatever Alex did, it is really cool. I can't believe that people don't like it. I always figured that it was a highlight of the song for most people. It definitely is for me. That and the groovy bass chords Geddy plays.
  • Like 2

Love it. My favorite on Presto. I'm stunned the band hasn't revisited this one live. I think they would do it excellent justice if they performed it on the next go-around.

I don't know if Neil would ever revisit this tune. If I recall, he wrote it about he and his then-nine-or-ten year old daughter Selena watching a meteor shower together.

• Like 1

What! The guitar solo if f'ing fantastic. I wonder if it was one take that they just reversed, or a few parts done seperately and turned around and pasted in together. Whatever Alex did, it is really cool. I can't believe that people don't like it. I always figured that it was a highlight of the song for most people. It definitely is for me. That and the groovy bass chords Geddy plays.

Agreed! (and great member name!)

Presto is my favourite album to sing along to in the car (with CA a close second) and Chain Lightning is such a catchy tune!
  • Like 2

Chain Lightning is easily one of the best tracks on Presto. I've been seriously surprises it was never played live. Just like the other songs off Presto, I think this song will translate real well live. It has a great little opening riff and awesome lead from Alex not to mention Geddy bass line during the lead. I think this song would be hugh live. At least it will sound much, MUCH STRONGER which is whats missing in the album mix.

:codger:

Chain Lightning is easily one of the best tracks on Presto. I've been seriously surprises it was never played live. Just like the other songs off Presto, I think this song will translate real well live. It has a great little opening riff and awesome lead from Alex not to mention Geddy bass line during the lead. I think this song would be hugh live. At least it will sound much, MUCH STRONGER which is whats missing in the album mix.

Absolutely. The new muscular sound live reinvigorates a lot of songs that I thought sounded thin on the studio albums. Presto was great on the TM tour, and most of the synth songs on this tour benefited from a stronger sound.

• Like 1

Absolutely. The new muscular sound live reinvigorates a lot of songs that I thought sounded thin on the studio albums. Presto was great on the TM tour, and most of the synth songs on this tour benefited from a stronger sound.

Yeah! Once the boys crank up, the songs sound like what they should. Songs like The Pass, Dreamline, Red Sector A, Bravado and many others sound stronger live than their studio counterparts! :codger:

Edited by losingit2k

So, not to beat a dead horse, but does no one think Neil would be slightly hesitant to play a song he wrote about his now-dead daughter and he sharing a magic moment when she was young and alive? Or am I just being way too sentimental?

• Like 1

I should have read the whole thread before posting an hour ago -- I would have just agreed with you!

• Like 1

It's a regular guitar solo that was put on the song playing backwards.

So, not to beat a dead horse, but does no one think Neil would be slightly hesitant to play a song he wrote about his now-dead daughter and he sharing a magic moment when she was young and alive? Or am I just being way too sentimental?

Chain Lightning is about Neil's daughter? I never knew that and no you are not being too sentimental. Now I would understand the reasoning why they wouldn't be inclined to play it but I don't understand why they didn't play it back then.

When i first heard Chain Lightning i wondered what the heck is a sun dog ? Love the song ! Sparks my heart !

have always loved that track but suspect we won't hear it live, understandably... and here's a nice example of sun dogs from ND

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/88/Fargo_Sundogs_2_18_09.jpg/800px-Fargo_Sundogs_2_18_09.jpg

• Like 2

When i first heard Chain Lightning i wondered what the heck is a sun dog ? Love the song ! Sparks my heart !

have always loved that track but suspect we won't hear it live, understandably... and here's a nice example of sun dogs from ND

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/88/Fargo_Sundogs_2_18_09.jpg/800px-Fargo_Sundogs_2_18_09.jpg

Nice shot!

Yeah - they caught a meteor shower together on a hillside outside their home. The sundogs may have been poetic imagery, or something they had seen earlier that evening, etc.

• Like 1

Nice shot!

Yeah - they caught a meteor shower together on a hillside outside their home. The sundogs may have been poetic imagery, or something they had seen earlier that evening, etc.

Wow! That's Beautiful and its just makes the song even more endeering in my heart. I can understand why Neil wouldn't want to play it live now, But aren't these they tyoe of memories you would want to hold on too? Wouldn't this song represent a Good Memory of his departed daughter? God Bless her.

Nice shot!

Wow! That's Beautiful and its just makes the song even more endeering in my heart. I can understand why Neil wouldn't want to play it live now, But aren't these they tyoe of memories you would want to hold on too? Wouldn't this song represent a Good Memory of his departed daughter? God Bless her.

I'm sure it's a beautiful memory for him, and one well worth holding on to. But it doesn't seem like a good choice to play live. I don't see how he could get through the whole song, or even the opening notes, without breaking down and being affected for a good portion of the show. I know I'd be balling my eyes out just knowing it was coming up in the set list.

• Like 2

Good song! But I really don't think there'll be any chance of them break out this one for a tour simply because of the lyrical content - it would just be too painful for Neil. Besides, I think there's still better songs on the album that deserve to be played live - Scars and Available Light come to mind immediately for me. Edited by Drummerrobin