Chain Lightning

jwoods89

Just listened to this song, WOW! This has to be another one of those 'hidden' gems in the Rush catalog. I say hidden mainly because they honestly shouldn't be, but all of their material is so damn good it's easy for some of it to get overlooked.
  • Like 7

This was definitely a grower song for me! :)

A while ago I made up a totally random cd-sized Rush playlist, and this song was one of the randomizer-chosen ones, and I kinda went, eh, but now I think it's really cool. Hobo's right: it's catchy, and has a good, positive feel to it, and I like the drumming, though all songs on Presto have such melodic drumming! I think one of the fellow TRFers also got a tattoo of a few lines from this song, which I thought was pretty cool.

This would actually be a pretty decent song for the boys to play live, too, now that I think of it.

There's so many great songs on Presto it's a shame the only ones they've played since the VT tour are The Pass and Presto.

"Sun dogs fire on the horizon

Meteor rain stars across the night

This moment may be brief

But it can be so bright

Reflected in another source of light

When the moment dies the spark still flies

Reflected in another pair of eyes" :notworthy:

This, War Paint, Scars, Red Tide, Superconductor (yes, I love Superconductor :madra: ) and most of all Show Don't Tell... come on Rush, one more tour and play ANY of the other 9 Presto songs (where's a "shameless groveling" emoticon when you need it? :unsure: )

• Like 2

There's so many great songs on Presto it's a shame the only ones they've played since the VT tour are The Pass and Presto.

This moment may be brief

But it can be so bright

This, War Paint, Scars, Red Tide, Superconductor (yes, I love Superconductor :madra: ) and most of all Show Don't Tell... come on Rush, one more tour and play ANY of the other 9 Presto songs (where's a "shameless groveling" emoticon when you need it? :unsure: )

'Red Tide'. That's another one that's grown on me. :) I like the flow of it (to use Presto123's apt term), much like 'Chain Lightning', and how it's kind of insistent and urgent. And, of course, thinking about it now, I still can't get over how 'colourful' the drums sound, know what I mean? They are so surprisingly melodious.

Saw the thread and gave the song a listen. Certainly not an instant like, but be a grower. And I too think the solo is a mess. I think Alex tried to find a new way of soloing, but unfortunately many of his 80s solos doesn't sound pleasing to my ears. I would love to hear this one live, or Show Don't Tell or Scars instead of The Pass and Presto :)
  • Like 1

Just listened to this song, WOW! This has to be another one of those 'hidden' gems in the Rush catalog. I say hidden mainly because they honestly shouldn't be, but all of their material is so damn good it's easy for some of it to get overlooked.

THAATS NIIICE!
  • Like 1

I remember when our local radio station was playing several tracks ahead of the official release in November 1989. They played Chain Lightning as one of several songs to promote the album. I didn't like it at first, but over time it grew on me. It sounds a little bit like the Batman theme from the 60s TV show. Ironically, "Batman" with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson, had just been in theatres.

I remember when our local radio station was playing several tracks ahead of the official release in November 1989. They played Chain Lightning as one of several songs to promote the album. I didn't like it at first, but over time it grew on me. It sounds a little bit like the Batman theme from the 60s TV show. Ironically, "Batman" with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson, had just been in theatres.

:crazy: The theme song from Batman? Ummm....I can't say in the hundreds of times I've heard CL that's ever occured to me. lol

Love it. My favorite on Presto. I'm stunned the band hasn't revisited this one live. I think they would do it excellent justice if they performed it on the next go-around.
  • Like 1

I love it...my favorite off of Presto. I think what first drew my attention was that it was a little heavier than the other songs and I lovethe way Geddy's bass pops.

As someone else mentioned, the lyrics paint a neat picture, too.

I don't mind the solo. I think it is supposed to be all over the place- maybe like a fork of lightning...

This moment may be brief

But it can be so bright

Love those lyrics, especially since they were about an experience he had with his daughter. I find it kinds sad to listen to, now.

Honestly I felt kind of stupid posting a topic about this song at first, but now I am glad I did, glad everyone is discovering or rediscovering it, and honestly there are so many songs in Rush's catalog that this can be said about.
  • Like 2

Honestly I felt kind of stupid posting a topic about this song at first, but now I am glad I did, glad everyone is discovering or rediscovering it, and honestly there are so many songs in Rush's catalog that this can be said about.

There is no such thing as a stupid topic regarding Rush :finbar:

• Like 1

You should never feel stupid doing that. This forum is here for fans to discuss anything Rush weather it be a whole album or a single song. There's a lot of topics people start on here to talk about certain songs or even specific parts of songs. I nice to have individual song threads that way some great tunes like Chain Lightning can get the love it deserves.

• Like 5