Acoustic Set! Is it time?

losingit2k

I was watching Paladium Channel today and they had some chick doing an Acoustic Set in a very nice setting. I began to wonder as I always do, and came up with this question. Do you think its time for RUSH to come up with a similar Acoustic Set in a similar setting for TV and then take it on the road and if so what songs should they include?

Even though I like them as they usually play (Electrically plugged in and at top speed), I think it would be interesting to catch them in a more relaxed setting and then take part of it on tour. I think songs like:

The Wreckers, Working them Angels, Half the World, Resist, Armor and Swords, Hope, Halo Effect, The Garden, Fly By Night, Lakeside Park, BU2B2, Tears, The Discovery, Different Strings, Madrigal, Losing It, Presto, The Pass, Nobody's Hero, A Farewell to Kings, The Trees, Red Barchetta, and Closer to the Heart would work nicely in that type of Setting.

I thought you were talking about Neil's drums by the thread title:) Yes....it is time for Neil to get a different acoustic set. I would love for Neil to finally ditch those DW's. As far as Rush doing an all acoustic set.........no thanks. One song maybe, but I didn't really like the Feedback stuff so I definitely don't want an acoustic show.
  • Like 1

Well, maybe a sort one. If they played everything you listed it may get boring. If they were to do maybe eight songs instead of the 24 you've suggested, it might just work. Megadeth's weren't so bad and Resist/Heart Full of Soul was pretty cool on the R30 DVD so Alex and Ged may as well do one. I'd love to see (from your list)

Wreckers

Half The World

Garden

Tears

Different Strings

Losing It

Nobody's Hero

Closer to the Heart

• Like 1

If they include Rivendell, I'm there.

They'd probably play Second Nature during such a performance since, as I recall, they've considered doing that one live and acoustic before. I wouldn't mind that at all.

• Like 1

If they include Rivendell, I'm there.

They'd probably play Second Nature during such a performance since, as I recall, they've considered doing that one live and acoustic before. I wouldn't mind that at all.

Acoustic set? No. If I'm at a Rush concert I want to hear the songs the way they were written. Second Nature is one of my favorite songs and I would be very, very disappointed if they played it acousticly.

Well, maybe a sort one. If they played everything you listed it may get boring. If they were to do maybe eight songs instead of the 24 you've suggested, it might just work. Megadeth's weren't so bad and Resist/Heart Full of Soul was pretty cool on the R30 DVD so Alex and Ged may as well do one. I'd love to see (from your list)

Wreckers

Half The World

Garden

Tears

Different Strings

Losing It

Nobody's Hero

Closer to the Heart

Well the TV set would be more of an Unplugged show, then they would take a much shorter set live as you've listed. :codger:

I'd be interested in seeing this happen. I do appreciate the fact that Rush's live performances are pretty faithful to the studio versions, but I like it when bands mix it up a bit and play new arrangements of their songs. However, I'm not sure if a full-fledged acoustic tour would be a good idea. They don't have many tours left in them, so it would be best if they only did it in a few major cities. Or better yet, ditch the drum solos and videos and use that time to play a short acoustic set in addition to what they already play in concert.
  • Like 2

I'd be interested in seeing this happen. I do appreciate the fact that Rush's live performances are pretty faithful to the studio versions, but I like it when bands mix it up a bit and play new arrangements of their songs. However, I'm not sure if a full-fledged acoustic tour would be a good idea. They don't have many tours left in them, so it would be best if they only did it in a few major cities. Or better yet, ditch the drum solos and videos and use that time to play a short acoustic set in addition to what they already play in concert.

Oh I agree, I never said that they should do a whole Acoustic tour. I said an Acoustic (Unplugged TV Appearance) then take about 4 to 6 songs from that show and have a little acoustic set on their next tour.

• Like 1

I was watching Paladium Channel today and they had some chick doing an Acoustic Set in a very nice setting. I began to wonder as I always do, and came up with this question. Do you think its time for RUSH to come up with a similar Acoustic Set in a similar setting for TV and then take it on the road and if so what songs should they include?

Even though I like them as they usually play (Electrically plugged in and at top speed), I think it would be interesting to catch them in a more relaxed setting and then take part of it on tour. I think songs like:

The Wreckers, Working them Angels, Half the World, Resist, Armor and Swords, Hope, Halo Effect, The Garden, Fly By Night, Lakeside Park, BU2B2, Tears, The Discovery, Different Strings, Madrigal, Losing It, Presto, The Pass, Nobody's Hero, A Farewell to Kings, The Trees, Red Barchetta, and Closer to the Heart would work nicely in that type of Setting.

you had me up til Red Barchetta. that song needs electrical power to be played right

I'd rather just see a show w/ all their key instrumentals and even some "for one show only" jam stuff.

As I've oft opined, I'd pay to watch them practice or jam.

I think that a back to their roots tour w/o a big stage production would never fly in today's ADD emotional atmosphere, unfortunately.

Not sure what I'd like otherwise, but leave it to them to do something at least a little different. The last two tours, Time Machine and this last one were two of their best ever IMO.

• Like 2

I thought you were talking about Neil's drums by the thread title:) Yes....it is time for Neil to get a different acoustic set. I would love for Neil to finally ditch those DW's.

There's nothing wrong with those DW's

Ditto. I saw that post and thought "not this nonsense again." DW are some of the best drums out there currently. The fact that people like Neil's old drum sound better has more to do with different recording techniques, analog vs digital, different drum heads, different techs tuning them differently, etc. than the actual sound of the drums with no mics, sitting and playing them. A recorded drumset has never sounded the same as it sounds sitting behind the kit and playing it in the history of recording.

• Like 1

I'd rather just see a show w/ all their key instrumentals and even some "for one show only" jam stuff.

As I've oft opined, I'd pay to watch them practice or jam.

I think that a back to their roots tour w/o a big stage production would never fly in today's ADD emotional atmosphere, unfortunately.

Not sure what I'd like otherwise, but leave it to them to do something at least a little different. The last two tours, Time Machine and this last one were two of their best ever IMO.

I've always been into the instrumentals tour. It would really help Geddy voice just singing fewer songs.

• Like 1

Not exactly a whole acoustic set. But several acoustic songs, absolutely. Of course, what I mean is Geddy and Alex both have acoustic guitars and Neil uses an acoustic set. Something like this:

(Acoustic songs have asterisks)

Set 1

Tom Sawyer

Rivendell*

Half the World*

Far Cry

Jacob's Ladder

Closer to the Heart*

Roll the Bones

Xanadu* (in its entirety, tuned down for Geddy)

YYZ

Set 2

Limelight

Caravan

Workin' Them Angels*

Red Sector A

The Pass*

The Wreckers*

Headlong Flight

"Accélérer" (drum solo)

Resist* (without Neil)

The Garden*

Distant Early Warning

2112: Overture / The Temples of Syrinx / Discovery* / Grand Finale

Encore

Heart Full of Soul*

The Spirit of Radio

Edited by Disk98
  • Like 1

Not exactly a whole acoustic set. But several acoustic songs, absolutely. Of course, what I mean is Geddy and Alex both have acoustic guitars and Neil uses an acoustic set. Something like this:

(Acoustic songs have asterisks)

Set 1

Tom Sawyer

Rivendell*

Half the World*

Far Cry

Jacob's Ladder

Closer to the Heart*

Roll the Bones

Xanadu* (in its entirety, tuned down for Geddy)

YYZ

Set 2

Limelight

Caravan

Workin' Them Angels*

Red Sector A

The Pass*

The Wreckers*

Headlong Flight

"Accélérer" (drum solo)

Resist* (without Neil)

The Garden*

Distant Early Warning

2112: Overture / The Temples of Syrinx / Discovery* / Grand Finale

Encore

Heart Full of Soul*

The Spirit of Radio

This setlist would kill the show right from the start. Nothing against 2 or 3 acoustic songs but not at the very start of the show.

• Like 1

I thought you were talking about Neil's drums by the thread title:) Yes....it is time for Neil to get a different acoustic set. I would love for Neil to finally ditch those DW's.

There's nothing wrong with those DW's

Ditto. I saw that post and thought "not this nonsense again." DW are some of the best drums out there currently. The fact that people like Neil's old drum sound better has more to do with different recording techniques, analog vs digital, different drum heads, different techs tuning them differently, etc. than the actual sound of the drums with no mics, sitting and playing them. A recorded drumset has never sounded the same as it sounds sitting behind the kit and playing it in the history of recording.

You think I don't know all this? I've been playing for 30 years. I just think it's time for a change. Maybe a different shell would lead to a different head and tuning process. Listen to CP tour live videos. There was an excitement from the toms that sure as heck beats the DW live sound. I realize all of this is subjective but I have heard a lot of people make the same comment. I wish he would change his set up as well. I know it's not going to happen at this point but I am tired of that weird stair stacked toms he uses. I understand the reason he uses that setup but I miss the Roll The Bones type of setup. DW drums are great drums(although a little over-rated for the price) but I don't like the way Neil tunes them.(still on the warm, muddy side and not bright)