VIP ticketing- would you prefer another way?

sun dog

I've seen a lot of VIP success stories here, but I've heard about some real failures too--- one Rushie told me that a friend of hers got in within 3 minutes and got @#$%ing 15th row. I'd be pretty unhappy if that had happened to me. Quite often you can get somewhere near row 15 at face value the day tickets go on sale.

After 30 shows I have yet to go the VIP route, just because I'm concerned about putting a lot of time, effort and funds into a show and ending up with 15th row or thereabouts. Plus, I can't always get away from my gig, so it's nice to be able to bail out if necessary. But I've noticed that there is generally less availability in recent years, and I'm sure that's primarily because the VIP tickets are eating up the best seats. I totally get that the band doesn't want all of that higher end ticket money going to brokers, and I don't fault them for that at all. I just wonder if there's a better way to do it--- something that gives fans more control.

Certainly platinum seating and/or auctions do that, and I'd rather spend more to know where I'm sitting. But if the VIP thing is here to stay (and it probably is), I think it would be great if they would develop a tiered system, e.g., $400 for rows 1-5, $300 for 5-10, $200 for 10-15. The revenue would then be unchanged, and at least buyers would have a little more certainty. I imagine that many of us agree that $300 is a little steep for 15th row. I'd probably rather be in the first few rows side stage than 15 rows back on the floor (though the sound would be better in the latter case).

I know many of you have lucked out, but what about those of you who haven't--- will you do it again?

I'd prefer all tickets being sold OFFLINE!! There's so many old school type people like my brother who've been listening to Rush and similar bands forever (the real fans(?))that are not computer literate and miss out to people with credit cards and computers..

I wanna see people camping in the streets for tickets again!!

• Like 1

I haven't tried the VIP route myself. At Ridgefield I bought a regular ticket through Music Today and there were three rows of people with VIP tickets behind me. They weren't too impressed when they found out. I would definitely prefer, and use, the tiered system that you suggest. I won't try the VIP route due to the uncertainty.
  • Like 1

As someone who has gone the VIP route almost 100% of the time this tour (no VIP option in Milwaukee), the only thing I'd change personally with the whole VIP thing is the option to buy the swag after the 1st purchase. I got 3 sets of goodies this leg, and 2 sets last leg. Sure, I could offer the extra sets for sale on eBay, but buying the prime tix is the sole reason why I always go VIP. I'm not very patient, so watching the tix boards on a daily basis to see if some good ones drop would just drive me nuts!! VIP ensures a great seat (yes, I've gotten 14th row last leg and I'm not complaining!) In reference to the post above, where the person got 15th row, VIP sell outs are based on demand and also how fast you can get checked out. Fair?? Maybe not, but that's the current game....

I'd prefer all tickets being sold OFFLINE!! There's so many old school type people like my brother who've been listening to Rush and similar bands forever (the real fans(?))that are not computer literate and miss out to people with credit cards and computers..

I like your spirit, and I miss those days, but after all this time of online ticketing we're not going back. If your from YEG than you probably remember the AC/DC show in 2001. That was the first big concert around here that if you tried to buy in person or on the phone you got garbage seats, or possibly no tickets at all. Since then everyone had to learn how to do it online. (Personally that was the first gig that I bought tix for online, and many of my friends say the same thing)

I like your spirit, and I miss those days, but after all this time of online ticketing we're not going back. If your from YEG than you probably remember the AC/DC show in 2001. That was the first big concert around here that if you tried to buy in person or on the phone you got garbage seats, or possibly no tickets at all. Since then everyone had to learn how to do it online. (Personally that was the first gig that I bought tix for online, and many of my friends say the same thing)

I wasn't at that show but I saw them here 3 times in the 80's (and I camped out dammit! lol)

I think Rush in '02 was the first time I bought online but don't remember any issues. I see by your post that you were at that show too, ..and that you had front row in Red Deer you lucky bugger!! I was in row 10 in Red Deer.

I haven't tried the VIP route myself. At Ridgefield I bought a regular ticket through Music Today and there were three rows of people with VIP tickets behind me. They weren't too impressed when they found out. I would definitely prefer, and use, the tiered system that you suggest. I won't try the VIP route due to the uncertainty.

I was two rows back of you and the guy beside me was at his 48th RUSH show and his wife's 30th. It was their first time buying VIP tickets and these are the worst seats they've had since the Snakes And Arrows Tour.

I'd prefer that someone just give me front row seats every time for free, but that's not happening. I like the premise of the VIP packages, but in 3 attempts for three different bands, I've managed the last possible row each time whether I completed my order a day late, or 1-2 minutes after the very first presale. To be fair, the two shows I bought right away were both more popular shows—kiss and sabbath—but the kiss show was one of numerous that went on sale that day, and I got the more xpensive meet and greet package. Seats aside, the rest of the elements of the package were so great that I didn't mind not being in the first 3-4 rows (private acoustic set followed by an autograph session followed by a later second meet and greet and photo w/band in full costume and makeup).

Unless I can be online with a real computer (not a smartphone with no wifi connection) the moment packages go live, and there are lots of other shows going live exactly the same time to disperse the scalpers widely, I would rather be patient and use stubhub. Much better chance of getting the exact seats you expect when you hit the buy button. The only xfactor is if the seller doesn't list he exact seat number, which is not all sellers on there. Really I'd be happier if the music today presales yielded better seats immediately at the opening bell instead of releasing the best seats randomly at some point later, which seems to be the usual MO. I can't sit there for hours re-checking until a great seat finally pops up, and my luck in these situations is absolutely non-existent. I always pull the worst seats.

IMO the best option by far would be for the band to offer more exclusive ticket access to their fan club using some method outside of the big agencies. Unrealistic and not very practical, but it would be nice if they could somehow give personalized codes (ie not one universal code—your code has to match your mailing address or something) to fans they screen to ensure they aren't just scammers who joined the club exclusively to get and resell tix. Again maybe impossible to do, unfortunately.

I'll echo the sentiments here. I've gotten good and bad seats with VIP packages, but now I just go to Stubhub and get exactly what I want or try other avenues. $375 is too much for 15th row.

I wasn't at that show but I saw them here 3 times in the 80's (and I camped out dammit! lol)

I think Rush in '02 was the first time I bought online but don't remember any issues. I see by your post that you were at that show too, ..and that you had front row in Red Deer you lucky bugger!! I was in row 10 in Red Deer.

Yes, Rush '02 was still pretty fresh to online ticket buying for a lot of people especially some of the older fans. I remember for 2002 having Row 6 on the floor, right in front of Geddy. My poor uncle sitting up in 118, asking how the hell I got such awesome tickets and I had to telll him that calling and waiting on hold for 2 hours for a big concert is for suckers. That was my first Rush show and it was unreal.

I bought two VIP seats for the opening night of the Clockwork Angels tour in Manchester, New Hampshire. I knew a lot of people would be going to this one so I wasn't expecting to be in the first 6 or 10 rows. We bought them about 4 minutes after they went on sale, and we scored 4th row center stage seats. I'd say we did really well and I'll definitely do it again if they tour again! :D :rush:

I just went to two VIP shows and was seriously disappointed because I was wayyyy over on Alex's side (3rd and 5th rows) for both shows. Then I went to KC and upgraded my seats (which were in the back by the soundboard for that show) day of to the first row of the elevated section right next to Geddy's side of the stage and LOVED those seats, also they only cost 116.00 each compared to the 325.00 each or whatever we paid.

I might be done with VIP unless I know that I can get in a little faster next time and get in the first 1-2 rows but still that's not fun when they've squeezed you over to the edge. Also, I don't like not being able to pick which side of the stage you are on. I've been on Alex's side for 5 shows and Geddy's only once, this does not make a Geddycorn very happy at all, no sir.

• Like 1

I just went to two VIP shows and was seriously disappointed because I was wayyyy over on Alex's side (3rd and 5th rows) for both shows. Then I went to KC and upgraded my seats (which were in the back by the soundboard for that show) day of to the first row of the elevated section right next to Geddy's side of the stage and LOVED those seats, also they only cost 116.00 each compared to the 325.00 each or whatever we paid.

I might be done with VIP unless I know that I can get in a little faster next time and get in the first 1-2 rows but still that's not fun when they've squeezed you over to the edge. Also, I don't like not being able to pick which side of the stage you are on. I've been on Alex's side for 5 shows and Geddy's only once, this does not make a Geddycorn very happy at all, no sir.

I agree with you, being on the side in the first section next to Geddy or Alex are some of the best seats I've had as you can see below:

• Like 1

I agree with you, being on the side in the first section next to Geddy or Alex are some of the best seats I've had as you can see below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOKbqU2SrmQ

Yeah that's what I'm talking about, I didn't have to worry about seeing over anyone's head (I'm only 5'4) and even though I wasn't as close as I would have liked to have been I was still right in Geddy's line of vision when he was on his keyboards, it was a lot of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOKbqU2SrmQ

Yeah that's what I'm talking about, I didn't have to worry about seeing over anyone's head (I'm only 5'4) and even though I wasn't as close as I would have liked to have been I was still right in Geddy's line of vision when he was on his keyboards, it was a lot of fun.

And when he trots out to the edge, he's looking right at ya!

I was really happy with my vipseats for almost each show I went to on this tour. For the one in Amsterdam it wasn't necessary, GA made it easy to secure a spot pretty much in front of Geddy with only a couple rows of blokes between me and the stage.

In Newark (row 6) & Brooklyn (row 4) I was over to the side (Geddy) and had the most outer seat in both rows.

London (UK) was way better: centre section, row 7.

Both Halifax shows were awesome: row 3 and front row, almost dead center!

Because I did travel all the way from Europe to the US/Canada to see 4 shows this was the best way of making sure I had a great seat at each show. I didn't want to travel that far without getting a great seat ;) So, yeah, it all has been worth spending my hard earned $$ on those seats :)

Plus... a vip seat puts you in the catch-a-tshirt-or-a-guitar-pick-from-one-of-the-guys-zone ;)

Edited by Catch The Mystery