Rush 12 days after Neil's first gig with the band. Recorded August 26, 1974 at the Agora Ballroom in Cleveland during WMMS broadcast

gestet2112

Rush Fifth Order of Angels Full Album

Published on Nov 29, 2012

[aka ABC1974] Recorded August 26, 1974 at the Agora Ballroom in Cleveland Ohio during live broadcast on FM radio station WMMS.

1) Finding My Way 00:08 - 04:58

2) The Best I Can 05:14 - 08:06

3) Need Some Love 08:24 - 11:22

4) In the End 11:42 - 17:49 the best version!!! solo 15:13 - 15:56

5) Fancy Dancer 17:50 - 21:36

6) In the Mood 21:51 - 25:02

7) Bad Boy 25:08 - 30:35 A great version!

Classic Rush style 1: "I just can't end the song" endless ending

8) Here Again 30:43 - 38:34 Here Again solo starts @ 35:22 Fantastic underrated song! Classic Rush style: "The song does not really get going until 4 minutes"

9) Working Man 38:54 - 50:10 [by-Tor & Snowdog in solo starts at 44:28 then Drum Solo 47:49 - 49:10 and "By-Tor esq" ending]

11) What You're Doing 50:45 - 55:04

12) Garden Road 55:11 - 58:07

Rush at their early 70's hard bluesy rock, high energy finest! So good!

Neil joined Rush 7/29/74 (Geddy's 21st birthday) and his first gig with Rush was on 8/14/74. FACT. So this gig was exactly 4 weeks after joining and 12 days after his first gig with the band. It was also 1 day before Alex turned 21. Neil had a lot to prove here. Geddy and Alex were just getting to know him. Soon after seeing him read constantly on tour, they would ask him to write lyrics for the band and the rest, as they say, is history...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbiOJ2fiqNM&list=PLBE95839B7EC03E6B

• Like 4

Love this show. Have it on regular (random) rotation on my ipod. So glad such an early show has been preserved for us to listen to! And can't believe Alex was all of 20 (and Geddy just turned 21!).
  • Like 1

Wow, thanks for including this. My travels took me to Ohio in 2009 and I went to the Agora for the first time ever(a 70's "power-pop" band called Artful Dodger that I liked and who caught on in Cleveland back then but nowhere else, played a reunion show). Of course, I didn't know this was not the original Agora which burned down many years ago.Still, the owner's daughter played me a video of the Agora's history. Definitely a long video because that place sure has a great story to tell.
  • Like 1

It seems like Neil is a bit unsure about the arrangements for Fancy Dancer... Edited by JARG

Wow, thanks for including this. My travels took me to Ohio in 2009 and I went to the Agora for the first time ever(a 70's "power-pop" band called Artful Dodger that I liked and who caught on in Cleveland back then but nowhere else, played a reunion show). Of course, I didn't know this was not the original Agora which burned down many years ago.Still, the owner's daughter played me a video of the Agora's history. Definitely a long video because that place sure has a great story to tell.

Artful Dodger fantastic band, should've been major successful.. Poor management that didn't know how to market or try to sale Dodger on the national stage and wrong time era disco and new wave was starting to be the next trend done them in. I have debut album and Honor Among Thieves use to have" Rave On" 8 track just a wonderfully crafted album power pop at it's finest. Always hoped someone would reissue that one way to good to be left silent needs to be discovered by many who are unaware how kick ass Artful Dodger was!!! :haz: :yes: And btw did you know Artful Dodger opened for Rush? Think it was Caress Of Steel tour Akron Civic Theater Ted Nugent was also on the bill or Kiss.... Edited by softfilter

I've been listening to this show for about 5 years, love it. I am surprised there are any Rush fans left on this earth who havent heard this. It's one of the mandatory 10-12 Rush boots that every Rush fan should have.

I like to call this show "Fun With Stereo". I'd love to find a version of this that doesn't have the knobs turning constantly left to right to left. It gets a little annoying.

I like to call this show "Fun With Stereo". I'd love to find a version of this that doesn't have the knobs turning constantly left to right to left. It gets a little annoying.

I always assumed that was a stereo pan effect on Alex's guitar, although I might be wrong! It's strange to listen to through headphones.

There are lossless versions of this boot available also- here for example:

http://www.guitars10...flac-64688.html

Artful Dodger fantastic band, should've been major successful.. Poor management that didn't know how to market or try to sale Dodger on the national stage and wrong time era disco and new wave was starting to be the next trend done them in. I have debut album and Honor Among Thieves use to have" Rave On" 8 track just a wonderfully crafted album power pop at it's finest. Always hoped someone would reissue that one way to good to be left silent needs to be discovered by many who are unaware how kick ass Artful Dodger was!!! :haz: :yes: And btw did you know Artful Dodger opened for Rush? Think it was Caress Of Steel tour Akron Civic Theater Ted Nugent was also on the bill or Kiss....

Artful Dodger was a great band. The songs "Wayside" and "It's Over" from their 1st album are great. Seen them once at the Akron Agora towards the end of their popularity. There were only about 20 people there. I don't remember them opening at the Akron Civic show. I remember Ted Nugent headlined that show. Ted was good but I think Rush owned the stage that night (I was a little biased). "The Necromancer" live was awesome.

Edited by johndyar

Thanks so much for the posting. Just happen to click on this entire concert from 1984 the very first tour I saw of now 49. Not paying attention till Geddy says what city he was in did I realize this was my very first RUSH concert from the GUP Tour of which I saw 3 times.

This is so awesome, I can remember having a buzz when some knucklehead kid grabbed my GUP tour white tshirt. I ran him down the walk way of the Cap Centre MD I beat him pretty good. I had a short temper back then unfortunately my shirt was torn to shreads in my pummeling.

A great tour that sealed the deal in making this band my #1 band in rock.

Peace

• Like 1

Artful Dodger fantastic band, should've been major successful.. Poor management that didn't know how to market or try to sale Dodger on the national stage and wrong time era disco and new wave was starting to be the next trend done them in. I have debut album and Honor Among Thieves use to have" Rave On" 8 track just a wonderfully crafted album power pop at it's finest. Always hoped someone would reissue that one way to good to be left silent needs to be discovered by many who are unaware how kick ass Artful Dodger was!!! :haz: :yes: And btw did you know Artful Dodger opened for Rush? Think it was Caress Of Steel tour Akron Civic Theater Ted Nugent was also on the bill or Kiss....

Artful Dodger was a great band. The songs "Wayside" and "It's Over" from their 1st album are great. Seen them once at the Akron Agora towards the end of their popularity. There were only about 20 people there. I don't remember them opening at the Akron Civic show. I remember Ted Nugent headlined that show. Ted was good but I think Rush owned the stage that night (I was a little biased). "The Necromancer" live was awesome.

My bad, Artful Dodger opened for Rush, Allen Theater downtown Cleveland same down the tubes tour think a day apart from the Akron show you went to. :)

So a month after Neil joined the band, they were playing "Best I Can" and "In the End"? I wonder if they were supposed to be on the first album but for whatever reason (record space? song "readiness"?) they were held over to Fly By Night.

By Tor stuff as well man!

Wow, cool to find some Artful Dodger fans here. I never knew they played with Rush. And softfilter, you are right on about poor management. In talking to the band, they blame the poor marketing by Columbia records on "timing" - a couple of guys on Columbia named Springsteen, who took over the FM dials, and Billy Joel, who dominated AM, release albums about the same time. Suddenly, angry was in and Joel's piano took over for Elton John who slipped a little bit. Columbia ignored "power pop" and went with the biggies. Too bad one of the founding members, Gary Cox, passed away last year due to brain cancer. No more reunion shows.

As far as getting their stuff on CD, three of the four are available though tough to get(Rave On was recorded from vinyl onto CD but only sold at the Agora). The "Holy Grail" is their third album, Babes on Broadway which has never had a CD release. A company called American Beat records was supposed to reissue all the albums but I never saw them available.

Thanks for the memories, rush fans.

Edited by jjgittes

Wow, cool to find some Artful Dodger fans here. I never knew they played with Rush. And softfilter, you are right on about poor management. In talking to the band, they blame the poor marketing by Columbia records on "timing" - a couple of guys on Columbia named Springsteen, who took over the FM dials, and Billy Joel, who dominated AM, release albums about the same time. Suddenly, angry was in and Joel's piano took over for Elton John who slipped a little bit. Columbia ignored "power pop" and went with the biggies. Too bad one of the founding members, Gary Cox, passed away last year due to brain cancer. No more reunion shows.

As far as getting their stuff on CD, three of the four are available though tough to get(Rave On was recorded from vinyl onto CD but only sold at the Agora). The "Holy Grail" is their third album, Babes on Broadway which has never had a CD release. A company called American Beat records was supposed to reissue all the albums but I never saw them available.

Thanks for the memories, rush fans.

Thanks for the great info. I would love to find their first release on CD. The album was well produced and sounded great "It's Over" is a great song. The band I worked for in Akron covered "Wayside". That song brings back great memories.

I've been listening to this show for about 5 years, love it. I am surprised there are any Rush fans left on this earth who havent heard this. It's one of the mandatory 10-12 Rush boots that every Rush fan should have.

Agreed, it's top 3 Rush boot of all time. During the ticket sale for the first SnA tour leg, I was waiting in line for my local TicketBastard outlet to open, and was chatting with some young, new-to-Rush fans. They were talking about old Rush, and I asked them which bootlegs they had. The answer was none. After we bought tickets, I went out to my truck, where I happen to have a burned to CD copy of Fifth Order and St. Louis '80, and gave those to them. I hope they never tried to get anymore boots, because those are pretty much the gold standard.

Anyway, there's another show with a similar setlist, after Neil had been with them a while, that does not have the wacky pan effect. It was one of the Electric Ladyland versions. I don't have it on CD anymore, but it was this one: http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/database/review.php?RecordingID=845 . Excellent show, but doesn't include Fancy Dancer or Garden Road.

This is awesome. Listening to it now. I never realized how similar Geddy used to sound to Janis Joplin. :)

I always thought Janis would've done a great version of Here Again...

This is awesome. Listening to it now. I never realized how similar Geddy used to sound to Janis Joplin. :)

I bet she would have. :)

I guy I used to work with 25 years ago thought it was Janis Joplin on Here Again!

I had just taped a copy of the double album to listen to while at work having just bought it and he was fooled when he walked by when it was playing.

I never forgot that becuase I never made that connection until then.

By the way, some may not know that by some incredible luck, Neils first show with the band is out there (8/14/74 Pittsburgh).

It doesn't sound nearly as good and it's only about 25 minutes because they opened for Manfred Mann and Uriah Heep, but it's out there for those that enjoy that stuff.

• Like 2