The 15 most hated bands of last the 30 years - Article.

Hatchetaxe&saw

Sorry, I'm coming into this late... I think Nirvana was at the right place at the right time, like a lot of bands. They were relevant at the time but if they release an album today, who knows...

I did like Nirvana and Dave Grohl is the best thing that came out of this band. He is such a talent.

Nirvana = Beatles ... WTF ?

I would have loved to have been in the front of this show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PHb0PirPdI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SnvejVyL2s

Edited by custom55

Sorry, I'm coming into this late... I think Nirvana was at the right place at the right time, like a lot of bands. They were relevant at the time but if they release an album today, who knows...

I did like Nirvana and Dave Grohl is the best thing that came out of this band. He is such a talent.

Nirvana = Beatles ... WTF ?

I would have loved to have been in the front of this show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PHb0PirPdI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SnvejVyL2s

No one is saying Nirvana equal The Beatles, FFS. But, for their times, their explosion onto very safe, boring scenes, are similar.

And, if The Beatles released an album today there's no guarantee it would sell either. The Beatles were also in the right place at the right time, like most successful bands.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

for someone who goes around screaming IM A HIPPIE you sure come off as close-minded and very "my opinion is fact"-ish, much like those evil music critics you love to put down because they don't listen to banco del mutuo soccorso

That's our Goobs! Did you know he isn't all that keen on Vapor Trails?

The Beatles inspired a lot of shit too. That's what trailblazers do. They inspire the good & the bad.

The main difference here is that Nirvana inspired the bad & the bad. ;) :P

I was thinking more about this. You just compared Nirvana to the Beatles.

And people wonder why I think they're the most overrated band of all time? :facepalm:

In terms of how they changed the landscape at the time, yes, there are comparisons. Musically, no. I know my onions.

I still call bullshit on your reasons though. Prog has rotted your brain, maaaaannnnnnnnn.

• Like 2

for someone who goes around screaming IM A HIPPIE you sure come off as close-minded and very "my opinion is fact"-ish, much like those evil music critics you love to put down because they don't listen to banco del mutuo soccorso

The Beatles inspired a lot of shit too. That's what trailblazers do. They inspire the good & the bad.

And people wonder why I think they're the most overrated band of all time? :facepalm:

In terms of how they changed the landscape at the time, yes, there are comparisons. Musically, no. I know my onions.

I still call bullshit on your reasons though. Prog has rotted your brain, maaaaannnnnnnnn.

Can you imagine the reaction if the surviving members of Nirvana got together with a surviving member of the Beatles? The musical universe would explode!

Can you imagine the reaction if the surviving members of Nirvana got together with a surviving member of the Beatles? The musical universe would explode!

IMAGINE!!!!!!

wait a minute.......

The one thing that always bugged me about Nirvana is how they get all this praise for changing the musical landscape in the early 90s as if they were doing it all by themselves. People seem to forget that Alice In Chains, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam were right there with Nirvana ushering in that change. Nirvana's impact certainly can't be denied but I do feel they get too much credit for the musical change that happened and that the other three from Seattle don't seem to get enough.
  • Like 1

The one thing that always bugged me about Nirvana is how they get all this praise for changing the musical landscape in the early 90s as if they were doing it all by themselves. People seem to forget that Alice In Chains, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam were right there with Nirvana ushering in that change. Nirvana's impact certainly can't be denied but I do feel they get too much credit for the musical change that happened and that the other three from Seattle don't seem to get enough.

They simply spearheaded the movement. Again, much like The Beatles did. :o

They simply spearheaded the movement. Again, much like The Beatles did. :o

Yeah, they opened the door. The others followed. Tis the way of things. The main reason I'm seeing Soundgarden in a packed arena in September is because of Nirvana.

Changing the musical landscape is all well and fine, and I've never denied they were hugely influential. They might have been harbringers of some kind of sea change, but again, influencing a generation of musical shite is not a positive thing. It's not like music was going in a great direction at that time anyway, so it's not like they hurt anything, they just changed it from one flavor of crap to another.

Sadly, the 60's and 70's had just tons and tons of great music, but every successive decade has gotten more dire musically. Yes, yes, there's good music to be found now, just as there was tons of crap music during the 60's and 70's, but I'm talking about this:

The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Yes, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Rush, The Moody Blues, Genesis, Jethro Tull, David Bowie, Cream, The Rolling Stones, Joni Mitchell, Grateful Dead, Deep Purple, King Crimson, Simon & Garfunkel, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, ELP, The Velvet Underground, Neil Young, CSNY, Cat Stevens, Frank Zappa, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Kinks, Tangerine Dream, Traffic, etc.

Really I shouldn't need to say anything after that paragraph, but for those who didn't get it - where on earth are the equivalent of those bands and artists today? When I've posed this question in the past people type laughable things like Nirvana, REM, Nine Inch Nails, U2, Foo Figthers, The White Stripes and other things that make me roll my eyes so fast they end up spinning in my eye sockets.

And THIS is why I think that Nirvana are so overrated - they effected change, but they didn't influence anything of worth... and outside of some catchy angsty songs, they just really weren't that great.

Edited by rushgoober

Changing the musical landscape is all well and fine, and I've never denied they were hugely influential. They might have been harbringers of some kind of sea change, but again, influencing a generation of musical shite is not a positive thing. It's not like music was going in a great direction at that time anyway, so it's not like they hurt anything, they just changed it from one flavor of crap to another.

Sadly, the 60's and 70's had just tons and tons of great music, but every successive decade has gotten more dire musically. Yes, yes, there's good music to be found now, just as there was tons of crap music during the 60's and 70's, but I'm talking about this:

The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Yes, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Rush, The Moody Blues, Genesis, Jethro Tull, David Bowie, Cream, The Rolling Stones, Joni Mitchell, Grateful Dead, Deep Purple, King Crimson, Simon & Garfunkel, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, ELP, The Velvet Underground, Neil Young, CSNY, Cat Stevens, Frank Zappa, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Kinks, Tangerine Dream, Traffic, etc.

Really I shouldn't need to say anything after that paragraph, but for those who didn't get it - where on earth are the equivalent of those bands and artists today? When I've posed this question in the past people type laughable things like Nirvana, REM, Nine Inch Nails, U2, Foo Figthers, The White Stripes and other things that make me roll my eyes so fast they end up spinning in my eye sockets.

And THIS is why I think that Nirvana are so overrated - they effected change, but they didn't influence anything of worth... and outside of some catchy angsty songs, they just really weren't that great.

Oh, for the love of Christ. I'm glad you're thousands of miles away.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

Oh, for the love of Christ. I'm glad your thousands of miles away.

:LMAO:

I love you too, HA&S! :P :hi:

I think some of the groups you mentioned from 60s and 70s are overrated. I think some of the 90s music you think sucks is pretty damn good. Opinions is all they are though so I won't attempt to proclaim mine as some kind of critical or historical fact.

• Like 1

They might have been harbringers of some kind of sea change, but again, influencing a generation of musical shite is not a positive thing.

Sums Nirvana up quite succinctly imo.

• Like 1

I think some of the groups you mentioned from 60s and 70s are overrated. I think some of the 90s music you think sucks is pretty damn good. Opinions is all they are though so I won't attempt to proclaim mine as some kind of critical or historical fact.

It's ok, I will with mine. :P

And if Bruce Springsteen farted, music critics would forget about the Nirtles and worship him.

And if Bruce Springsteen farted, music critics would forget about the Nirtles and worship him.

Springsteen farts contain amnesiac qualities???????????????? Whoda thunk it?

Springsteen farts contain amnesiac qualities???????????????? Whoda thunk it?

Nah, not amnesiac qualities, just orgasms in the groupthink community that is music criticism.

I don't know several of these bands, but most I do know, unfortunately, and without exception I heartedly endorse their inclusion on any list that uses the word "hate."

Re the Nirvana argument, I'm a pro-Nirvana guy and I don't even like the Seattle grunge thing much, apart from Nirvana. I resisted the allure because of all the hype until hearing Nevermind from front to back in a sailor's bar in Japan (maybe the environment had an influence). I remember thinking when I heard "Come as You Are" that it is the same note progression as "Eighties" by Killing Joke, and then thinking by mid-album that these guys are in a whole different universe than Killing Joke, or most any other band at the time (yet Killing Joke did successfully pursue compensation, a la He's So Fine/My Sweet Lord). Come As you Are, Drain You, Lounge Act, etc. the song writing is fantastic. And unlike other grunge artistes, Cobain wasn't some angst-ridden posuer; he really was f-ed up, and like Patti Smith and others, I can appreciate that authenticity in an artist that peddles angst (though I wouldn't recommend that to anyone, and it's nothing to glorify; it's a steep price to pay for art, obviously). For those who love the soft-loud-soft-really loud patterns of The Pixies or the The Wedding Present, Nirvana hist the sweet spot (no surprise that Steve Albini produced all three). Definitely deserves his status, whatever that exactly is.

Pretty much 80% of my music listening in 1992 was My Bloody Valentine's Loveless and Nirvana's Nevermind, with the other 20% being Teenage Fanclub's Bandwagonesque. That was a mighty fine year.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 5

I don't know several of these bands, but most I do know, unfortunately, and without exception I heartedly endorse their inclusion on any list that uses the word "hate."

Re the Nirvana argument, I'm a pro-Nirvana guy and I don't even like the Seattle grunge thing much, apart from Nirvana. I resisted the allure because of all the hype until hearing Nevermind from front to back in a sailor's bar in Japan (maybe the environment had an influence). I remember thinking when I heard "Come as You Are" that it is the same note progression as "Eighties" by Killing Joke, and then thinking by mid-album that these guys are in a whole different universe than Killing Joke, or most any other band at the time (yet Killing Joke did successfully pursue compensation, a la He's So Fine/My Sweet Lord). Come As you Are, Drain You, Lounge Act, etc. the song writing is fantastic. And unlike other grunge artistes, Cobain wasn't some angst-ridden posuer; he really was f-ed up, and like Patti Smith and others, I can appreciate that authenticity in an artist that peddles angst (though I wouldn't recommend that to anyone, and it's nothing to glorify; it's a steep price to pay for art, obviously). For those who love the soft-loud-soft-really loud patterns of The Pixies or the The Wedding Present, Nirvana hist the sweet spot (no surprise that Steve Albini produced all three). Definitely deserves his status, whatever that exactly is.

Pretty much 80% of my music listening in 1992 was My Bloody Valentine's Loveless and Nirvana's Nevermind, with the other 20% being Teenage Fanclub's Bandwagonesque. That was a mighty fine year.

You hit the nail on the head. Cobain was the real deal. No way Nirvana should have been huge. And that was part of a the hype. It was like every college band you saw all of a sudden is the biggest band in the world. Insane.

• Like 1

:goodone: But AIC were truly an amazing band as well at that time.

Creed seemed like a knock off of another grunge band of the time. The one that did the song "Jeremy"

Um, yeah, that would be a little band called Pearl Jam.. You really don't know Pearl Jam?

Creed seemed like a knock off of another grunge band of the time. The one that did the song "Jeremy"

Um, yeah, that would be a little band called Pearl Jam.. You really don't know Pearl Jam?

he's right that creed were a lame christian version of pearl jam though

I would like to take all these "Boy Bands"

Set them on fire and throw them off a cliff

I also would like 5 min alone with Justin Beiber

In a room with a baseball bat filled with rusty nails