The 15 most hated bands of last the 30 years - Article.

Hatchetaxe&saw

You have to look at what was going in at the time Nevermind broke.. Mainstream rock was still considered bands like Guns n roses, Def Leppard etc.. Nirvana was essentially a punk band that had no business knocking micheal Jackson from the number one spot.. They didn't fit in with the established formula for the time.. That's why they are spoken of so much.. They pretty much jump started a whole new way that record labels looked at who they would sign.. Now whether you like their music, or feel it isn't as great as people say, that's a matter of taste.. But as far as industry impact, their influence is undeniable

Agreed. Curt Kobain killed hair metal*, then he killed himself.

*we thank you, infant Jesus!

• Like 1

Phew! I was afraid Rush was going to be on the list for some reason!

The only band that definitely does NOT belong on that list is Phish.

Honestly, I was seriously hoping to see Nirvana on that list, but I guess they more belong atop a most overrated group of all time list more than just merely hated...

I'm so happy I've found someone that actually agrees with me on that! I appreciate what they did for their genre and whatever, but other than that...

Hearing people argue about the relative merits of Nirvana to me is about on the same level as people trying to argue about the merits of The Backstreet Boys or The Spice Girls. Obviously Nirvana was far better than both those groups, but their relevance to my life is about on the same level. That's why I think they're so tremendously overrated. They, and the musical scene they inspired, were so terribly unimportant to me, and yet people discuss them with such great reverence. I just profoundly don't get it. :no:

So they're tremendously overrated because their music had no relevance to your life? Anything that has no relevance to you is overrated? That doesn't even make sense

Makes sense to me. Doesn't everyone view the world in terms of how things effect them? Really to me they're overrated because of the amount of attention given to them relative to how good they actually were. To me they were an ok band, but they're treated like one of the most importnat bands of blah, blah, blah. I just don't get what the big deal is... AND had kurt cobain not offed himself, they wouldn't have been elevated to the legendary status they undeservedly have today.

What you're saying NOW isn't the same as earlier when you said that they're overrated because they're irrelevant to you. You can't be THAT self-centered not to realize that something has relevance even if it's unimportant to you, can you? Funny thing is that Nirvana is simply "okay" to me too. But there's no denying the RELEVANCE they had in the 90s.

"I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah." - Leonard Shelby

Relevance, influence - sure, whatever, but what the hell did they influence that's worth a damn?

Honestly, I was seriously hoping to see Nirvana on that list, but I guess they more belong atop a most overrated group of all time list more than just merely hated...

I'm so happy I've found someone that actually agrees with me on that! I appreciate what they did for their genre and whatever, but other than that...

Hearing people argue about the relative merits of Nirvana to me is about on the same level as people trying to argue about the merits of The Backstreet Boys or The Spice Girls. Obviously Nirvana was far better than both those groups, but their relevance to my life is about on the same level. That's why I think they're so tremendously overrated. They, and the musical scene they inspired, were so terribly unimportant to me, and yet people discuss them with such great reverence. I just profoundly don't get it. :no:

So they're tremendously overrated because their music had no relevance to your life? Anything that has no relevance to you is overrated? That doesn't even make sense

Makes sense to me. Doesn't everyone view the world in terms of how things effect them? Really to me they're overrated because of the amount of attention given to them relative to how good they actually were. To me they were an ok band, but they're treated like one of the most importnat bands of blah, blah, blah. I just don't get what the big deal is... AND had kurt cobain not offed himself, they wouldn't have been elevated to the legendary status they undeservedly have today.

What you're saying NOW isn't the same as earlier when you said that they're overrated because they're irrelevant to you. You can't be THAT self-centered not to realize that something has relevance even if it's unimportant to you, can you? Funny thing is that Nirvana is simply "okay" to me too. But there's no denying the RELEVANCE they had in the 90s.

"I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah." - Leonard Shelby

Relevance, influence - sure, whatever, but what the hell did they influence that's worth a damn?

"worth a damn" wasn't what I was addressing. I was addressing your pig-headedness in saying they were overrated SIMPLY BECAUSE they were irrelevant to YOU.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

"worth a damn" wasn't what I was addressing. I was addressing your pig-headedness in saying they were overrated SIMPLY BECAUSE they were irrelevant to YOU.

Nirvana is a generation's Beatles...or perhaps more accurately their version of the Who. Only a :codger: dismisses that kind of a band off hand, like them or not.

semantics

Nirvana is a generation's Beatles...or perhaps more accurately their version of the Who. Only a :codger: dismisses that kind of a band off hand, like them or not.

the beatles and the who actually had great music, and they inspired a lot of great music. nirvana did not, and they inspired a generation of depressing and/or boring crap. that's why they're overrated.

Edited by rushgoober

for someone who goes around screaming IM A HIPPIE you sure come off as close-minded and very "my opinion is fact"-ish, much like those evil music critics you love to put down because they don't listen to banco del mutuo soccorso

for someone who goes around screaming IM A HIPPIE you sure come off as close-minded and very "my opinion is fact"-ish, much like those evil music critics you love to put down because they don't listen to banco del mutuo soccorso

That's our Goobs! Did you know he isn't all that keen on Vapor Trails?

The Beatles inspired a lot of shit too. That's what trailblazers do. They inspire the good & the bad.

the beatles and the who actually had great music, and they inspired a lot of great music. nirvana did not, and they inspired a generation of depressing and/or boring crap. that's why they're overrated.

The Beatles are the main reason we had to suffer the sonic terror of Oasis. F*ck The Beatles. There, now look what you've made me do! I'm off to burn my remasters boxset!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw
  • Like 1

The Beatles are the main reason we had to suffer the sonic terror of Oasis. F*ck The Beatles. There, now look what you've made me do! I'm off to burn my remasters boxset!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Relax, the antidote is to listen to your Big Star albums.

• Like 3

Thanks, doctor!

"SITTING IN THE BACK OF THE CAR......"....that's better.....

nice to see a big star fan here

• Like 1

Have you seen the new documentary on them?..Good stuff..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2290151/

The Beatles inspired a lot of shit too. That's what trailblazers do. They inspire the good & the bad.

The main difference here is that Nirvana inspired the bad & the bad. ;) :P

Yes. It's an excellent documentary. I still can't get over how sad it made me feel. Such talent and such a missed opportunity. They were SO good.

Yes. It's an excellent documentary. I still can't get over how sad it made me feel. Such talent and such a missed opportunity. They were SO good.

havent seen it

havent seen it

It's fabulous. They were fabulous.

I was thinking more about this. You just compared Nirvana to the Beatles.

And people wonder why I think they're the most overrated band of all time? :facepalm:

I was thinking more about this. You just compared Nirvana to the Beatles.

And people wonder why I think they're the most overrated band of all time? :facepalm:

Sirvana, baby!!!