The 15 most hated bands of last the 30 years - Article.

Hatchetaxe&saw

Well... all I can say is I've never heard of 98 Degrees, Insane Clown Posse, Train or Phish.

Where have you been then? lol

Somewhere where her ears aren't bring punished.

:LOL: !

Phew! I was afraid Rush was going to be on the list for some reason!

The only band that definitely does NOT belong on that list is Phish.

Honestly, I was seriously hoping to see Nirvana on that list, but I guess they more belong atop a most overrated group of all time list more than just merely hated...

Nirvana, overrated? Get back to the bong, hippie.

I didn't just say overrated. I said MOST overrated. They're the most overrated band in the history of music.

Honestly, I was seriously hoping to see Nirvana on that list, but I guess they more belong atop a most overrated group of all time list more than just merely hated...

I didn't just say overrated. I said MOST overrated. They're the most overrated band in the history of music.

the clash, U2, arcade fire, bruce springsteen, elvis costello, and you single out nirvana?

I feel like most of the extreme animosity towards nirvana is because a lot of people, especially in their 40s or 50s, seem to think kurt cobain himself personally aimed to kill heavy metal with his music or some shit. or at least that's how they act. it's not like they really are the worst band ever or anything, they just moved hair metal out of the way (because it sucked anyway), and the reason the metal greats of the 80s faded into obscurity or got huge off shitty records (like metallica) is because they started to suck, not because kurt cobain and robert christgau personally planned it. of course I don't think this is goob's opinion, since he thinks all metal is barbaric and depressing, but I just mean for a lot of people.

• Like 1

the clash, U2, arcade fire, bruce springsteen, elvis costello, and you single out nirvana?

I feel like most of the extreme animosity towards nirvana is because a lot of people, especially in their 40s or 50s, seem to think kurt cobain himself personally aimed to kill heavy metal with his music or some shit. or at least that's how they act. it's not like they really are the worst band ever or anything, they just moved hair metal out of the way (because it sucked anyway), and the reason the metal greats of the 80s faded into obscurity or got huge off shitty records (like metallica) is because they started to suck, not because kurt cobain and robert christgau personally planned it. of course I don't think this is goob's opinion, since he thinks all metal is barbaric and depressing, but I just mean for a lot of people.

no, i loved heavy metal when i was younger. i was really into NWOBHM, and i still listen to it from time to time. i lost interest when hair metal, and ESPECIALLY when speed metal came into the picture. it just seemed like fast riffing for the sake of fast riffing. i liked the melodic aspects of NWOBHM to go along with the heaviness. what passes today for heavy metal is for me just too heavy, and yes often barbaric and depressing.

regardless, i don't care about nirvana's place in history so much as how much unwarranted weight is given to their music. ok, maybe i do care about their place in history a little because they were the face of and harbringer of grunge, which to me was mostly pretty godawful sludge.

people love to say, oh yes, but look how much music nirvana INSPIRED, look how INFLUENTIAL they were, look at how much they changed music. yes, they were hugely influential, but they inspired and influenced a huge steaming pantload of shitty music IMHO. that's not something to celebrate as a great accomplishment.

and this is perhaps the crux of it - kurt cobain killing himself turned himself into a martyr for a generation of disaffected youth and turned their music into something a lot more than it was. had he lived, their music wouldn't have been anywhere near as venerated as it is today. yeah, they had some catchy songs, but people act like they were the second coming of the beatles or something, when really they were just a glorified punk band with a little melody.

like i said, overrated - to the extreme.

Now, Nirvana helped to spawn a lot of crap, the angst-bollocks of Nickelback, the fuax-earnest dribblings of Creed etc. But, in 1990/1991, they were SO different and such a breath of fresh air, the plaudits for their music are warranted.
  • Like 1

I'm with you on U2, but the others, no.

Now, Nirvana helped to spawn a lot of crap, the angst-bollocks of Nickelback, the fuax-earnest dribblings of Creed etc. But, in 1990/1991, they were SO different and such a breath of fresh air, the plaudits for their music are warranted.

I agree. Nirvana reinvigorated my faith in rock music. I freakin' loved them. Sure, I don't listen to them nearly as much as I used to, but in the early 90's they were IT.

pretty much every band nirvana aspired to be - husker du, wipers, dinosaur jr, melvins, pixies, etc - was better than nirvana

that being said I still like their albums, but I don't really think of them as amazing or shitty, just a good rock band

• Like 2

they weren't really that different, just different by mainstream standards

I respectfully disagree. I was immersed in the hardcore scene in the late '80's and early grunge, and my ears pricked up the second I heard them. Even amongst their Sub Pop peers and others, they were different. As much as I loved Tad, Meat Puppets, Mudhoney, Butthole Surfers, The Melvins and so on, the arrival of Nirvana was spectacular.

I respectfully disagree. I was immersed in the hardcore scene in the late '80's and early grunge, and my ears pricked up the second I heard them. Even amongst their Sub Pop peers and others, they were different. As much as I loved Tad, Meat Puppets, Mudhoney, Butthole Surfers, The Melvins and so on, the arrival of Nirvana was spectacular.

all great bands, I like all of them more than nirvana. just more exciting tunes

I saw the melvins last week actually, they kicked ASS

• Like 1

Carter Beauford's awesome drumming is reason alone DMB don't belong on that list.

A lot of the bands listed don't belong on the list. DMB *fans* can be a major pain in the ass, but they are all incredibly talented musicians and Dave is a decent songwriter.

pretty much every band nirvana aspired to be - husker du, wipers, dinosaur jr, melvins, pixies, etc - was better than nirvana

that being said I still like their albums, but I don't really think of them as amazing or shitty, just a good rock band

Yeah, I've always felt Husker Du should have been the band from that scene to break open.. Or even someone like the Replacements..Nirvana truly was right place , right time.. That magical combo of catchy songs, attitude, and lets not forget video.. I think the video for smells like teen spirit helped them out tremendously...In any event , I think they kicked ass, and Cobain was a true takent.

Yeah, I've always felt Husker Du should have been the band from that scene to break open.. Or even someone like the Replacements..Nirvana truly was right place , right time.. That magical combo of catchy songs, attitude, and lets not forget video.. I think the video for smells like teen spirit helped them out tremendously...In any event , I think they kicked ass, and Cobain was a true takent.

husker du didnt have good enough production on their albums (which is expected on SST albums but even on their major label albums too) and the replacements didnt take themselves seriously enough to hit it big like nirvana did

• Like 1

husker du didnt have good enough production on their albums (which is expected on SST albums but even on their major label albums too) and the replacements didnt take themselves seriously enough to hit it big like nirvana did

Yeah, I read the Bob Mould biography, and he pretty much refused to clean up their albums. Even on the stuff he did with Sugar, it was still pretty raw. And yeah, the Replacemnts were too drunk to realize that they could have maybe been a lot more popular .. Haha

• Like 1

got a chapter on black flag, dino jr, butthole surfers, husker du, minutemen, mission of burma, replacements, sonic youth, beat happening, mudhoney, minor threat, fugazi and some others I think

Remember when Creed played the Super Bowl halftime show? :|

In case you've forgotten:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UrZ3A06Wkdc

Now why the hell did I watch that?! Sometimes I don't know what's for my own good. It was a good reminder of why I don't like Creed. Man, that singer is irritating to look at. The way he's constantly "feeling it". A bit too theatrical to my liking.

Edited by The Analog Grownup

but yeah basically it mentions husker's production and the replacements drunken bullshit and playing a show of 70s classic rock covers in front of label execs and critics and stuff

Yeah, those bands truly didn't want to compromise. And really, Nirvana was the same way. An interview with one of the record executives, he said they were hoping that Nevermind would be like Sonic Youths Goo album, and with a big push from advertising and PR, maybe crack 500,000 copies.. What happened to them was truly amazing .. No way anyone could have predicted that

They bumped micheal Jackson from the number one spot... Just think about that for a minute

Edited by Xanadoood

but yeah basically it mentions husker's production and the replacements drunken bullshit and playing a show of 70s classic rock covers in front of label execs and critics and stuff

Yeah, those bands truly didn't want to compromise. And really, Nirvana was the same way. An interview with one of the record executives, he said they were hoping that Nevermind would be like Sonic Youths Goo album, and with a big push from advertising and PR, maybe crack 500,000 copies.. What happened to them was truly amazing .. No way anyone could have predicted that

yeah and the fact that so many people seem to take nirvana's success so personally is really weird. it wasnt even the "death" of metal like the eddie trunk types like to say. it was just the end of hair metal and boring shit like that

Most of this list I agree with. John Mayer, I'd have to disagree with. If you're only looking at his studio albums, then it's arguable. Doesn't help that he's not a great person. But he's an amazing blues guitarist... the sad part is he doesn't let it show that often.

I can't believe the level of arrogance on this forum sometimes.

I dislike John Mayer songs. He very well might be an amazing blues guitarist, but that doesn't mean much to me if I can't listen to the song. Is that arrogance?

Same reason why I can like the guitar work of Don Felder and Joe Walsh, but not like the Eagles' music.

I agree with the list except for Dave Matthews Band. You don't have to be a traveling hippie to like their music.

• Like 1