Rush's End Game

losingit2k

We all know that RUSH doesn't have to many years left in them as a Touring Band. After reading many of the posts in other threads many here think that the Clockwork Angles Tour might have been it. I personally don't think so. Which brings me to the point of this thread. How would you as a fan like to see RUSH end their great and illustrious career. I would like them to release two new songs like they did with the Time Machine and actually announce that they will be embarking on their final tour called: A Farewell to Fans Tour." Now here is the kicker they only pick about 15 to 16 locations in major centralized cities and play stadiums with two good opening Acts. Additionally, they should bring along the string section and additional guest vocalist to tackle songs they've haven't played in ages like Hemispheres and Something for Nothing. Say Amy Mann for Time Stand Still or Ben Mink for Losing it. They should also include actual guest stars to introduce some of their songs. Like Count Floyd to introduce Witch Hunt or the I Love you Man guys to introduce Limelight. Their stage set up should rival that of any Pink Floyd or Genesis concert and should include all their previous props like The Rabbits for Show Don't Tell and Lasers for Test For Echo and YYZ. Basically the best show ever! They should make it an event! Anyway that my take on things, How would you like to see them go out? :codger:
  • Like 1

Wow, so sorry, but I don't think any of this will ever happen....

they won't play stadiums.....

they won't have opening acts....

they won't announce a farewell tour....

they won't have strings again....

I think they will take their well deserved break and then get together and talk....they will either do one of the following....

1. decide to tour on an R41 or R42 theme...

2. write, record and produce a new album and tour off that

3. do nothing and stay on hiatus...

I can't see rush ever announcing a farewell tour....its not their style....they tour, they rest, they regroup and decide what to do next...i suppose its possible that neil says i will do one more tour and that's it so let's make it a farewell for the fans but i don't see them putting themselves into a corner like that.....

• Like 4

LosingIt, I think you have good ideas, but like mine they are unrealistic They won't do opening acts again, they can't perform for as long. They aren't stadium bands. I don't think Geddy would share his vocal duties with someone else, on Time Stand Still, Amee is only there for backup. But there's one I think that really stands out.

They would not want to give off two new songs unless there was an album in the making. All The World.'s A Stage and simillar warmup tours only had new songs as they were already being recorded as part of the new album they were recording. BU2B and Caravan were obviously another thing like the warmup tours as Ged clearly announces the Clockwork Angels album before one of the two kn the Cleveland DVD,

I would love to see the props come back, although I vaguely remember the rabbits being used for Leave That Thing Alone.

Edited by WavesandWindows
  • Like 1

LosingIt, I think you have good ideas, but like mine they are unrealistic They won't do opening acts again, they can't perform for as long. They aren't stadium bands. I don't think Geddy would share his vocal duties with someone else, on Time Stand Still, Amee is only there for backup. But there's one I think that really stands out.

They would not want to give off two new songs unless there was an album in the making. All The World.'s A Stage and simillar warmup tours only had new songs as they were already being recorded as part of the new album they were recording. BU2B and Caravan were obviously another thing like the warmup tours as Ged clearly announces the Clockwork Angels album before one of the two kn the Cleveland DVD,

I would love to see the props come back, although I vaguely remember the rabbits being used for Leave That Thing Alone.

All this came out of comments that Geddy made back in the 80's when The Who was doing their Farewell Tour. Which wasn't the case obvisouly, cause they tour endlessly after that. Regardless, Geddy did say that "That's a nice way to go out!" When The Who was doing their Stadium tour in the 80's. Anyway, I understand that they aren't a stadium band but if they limit themselves to only a few nights (15) and play in centralized cities like New York, Raleigh, Atlanta, Kanas City, LA, Denver, Dallas, Miami, Seattle, Chicago, etc. I think they could sell out the place or at least have a good showing since they won't be appearing anwhere else. Yeah some people will get lucky and some will have to travel but Hey its an Event now. Additionally, by announcing that its their Farewell Tour it would let every fan know that If you want to see RUSH this is it and knowing RUSH they will keep their word and not tour any longer. They will sell more way more tickets this way! Why not Opening Acts? Geddy has already stated that they might be going this way again and having two Opening Acts will still give them enough time to play for 2.5 Hours. As for the guest vocalist idea, I put that in 'cuase honestly I think that the only way we'll hear a song like Hemispheres ever again. As for the strings, I think they enjoyed that way too much to not reuse them. Actually I think they might go bigger next time and tour with a full Orchestra. But thats me, and I can't stop thinkking big!

:codger:

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

Expanding the orchestra is plausible I think.

However in regards to how they should go out: I hope they don't announce anything, or do a farewell tour. It's too gimmicky and cheesy. Whenever a band does that I think to myself yeah and then they'll make a sh*tload of money on their comeback tour.

:)

• Like 1

I thought I had read somewhere that Ged said they would prefer to let the fans know when they are announcing their last tour. Maybe I'm wrong but I swear there was an interview I saw somewhere where he was commenting on the Police tour and talking about how they respect the fans enough to let them know.
  • Like 1

Well, losingit2k, you may be onto something with the full orchestra, but I don't see just a handful of songs being released without being part of a larger album. It just isn't practical.

But getting back to the orchestra concept, Rush could play some deep cuts like "Different Strings" and "Losing It." Where do you think the orchestra would go (hypothetically)? Would there be a pit in front of the stage? Could the orchestra go on more risers begin Neil?

• Like 1

Orchestra-Yes, Stadiums-hopeful, props-please dear god, every thing else-hell no. Guest Musicians especially. Additionally, I don't think they will ever plan a long term farewell tour, because that would mean they would still be in good playing condition and they are predicting that will be it. No, I can see a farewell show being announced, I can see something sudden coming up that makes them say we can at best only do one or two more performances, but I could never see rush saying, "we can't write anything new, touring is boring, lets close shop and make an extra buck", cause that is not them.
  • Like 2

We all know that RUSH doesn't have to many years left in them as a Touring Band. After reading many of the posts in other threads many here think that the Clockwork Angles Tour might have been it. I personally don't think so. Which brings me to the point of this thread. How would you as a fan like to see RUSH end their great and illustrious career. I would like them to release two new songs like they did with the Time Machine and actually announce that they will be embarking on their final tour called: A Farewell to Fans Tour." Now here is the kicker they only pick about 15 to 16 locations in major centralized cities and play stadiums with two good opening Acts. Additionally, they should bring along the string section and additional guest vocalist to tackle songs they've haven't played in ages like Hemispheres and Something for Nothing. Say Amy Mann for Time Stand Still or Ben Mink for Losing it. They should also include actual guest stars to introduce some of their songs. Like Count Floyd to introduce Witch Hunt or the I Love you Man guys to introduce Limelight. Their stage set up should rival that of any Pink Floyd or Genesis concert and should include all their previous props like The Rabbits for Show Don't Tell and Lasers for Test For Echo and YYZ. Basically the best show ever! They should make it an event! Anyway that my take on things, How would you like to see them go out? :codger:

They need to toss the cot-damned string section. Wtf, man.

(No insult to any of those people, btw)

All this came out of comments that Geddy made back in the 80's when The Who was doing their Farewell Tour. Which wasn't the case obvisouly, cause they tour endlessly after that. Regardless, Geddy did say that "That's a nice way to go out!" When The Who was doing their Stadium tour in the 80's. Anyway, I understand that they aren't a stadium band but if they limit themselves to only a few nights (15) and play in centralized cities like New York, Raleigh, Atlanta, Kanas City, LA, Denver, Dallas, Miami, Seattle, Chicago, etc. I think they could sell out the place or at least have a good showing since they won't be appearing anwhere else. Yeah some people will get lucky and some will have to travel but Hey its an Event now. Additionally, by announcing that its their Farewell Tour it would let every fan know that If you want to see RUSH this is it and knowing RUSH they will keep their word and not tour any longer. They will sell more way more tickets this way! Why not Opening Acts? Geddy has already stated that they might be going this way again and having two Opening Acts will still give them enough time to play for 2.5 Hours. As for the guest vocalist idea, I put that in 'cuase honestly I think that the only way we'll hear a song like Hemispheres ever again. As for the strings, I think they enjoyed that way too much to not reuse them. Actually I think they might go bigger next time and tour with a full Orchestra. But thats me, and I can't stop thinkking big!

they have had trouble selling out large venues in big cities for one night, not sure they could fill 6,000 seat halls for multiple nights, plus with Geddy's need for a day off in between, they can't play five straight nights in one city so they would have to be there for like two weeks, not sure its really a viable idea....

maybe a special five night run at massey hall, but i can't see them doing multiple nights in atlanta or kansas city, etc...

Edited by nhlrush

At the RRHOF Geddy's said they view themselves as a work in progress...they are far from done. They will continue to be creative...it's in their bones. It's what they do. Get ready to be blown away. Clockwork Angels is a new path forward. Get ready for sock puppets and blow-up dolls on stage.
  • Like 2

they have had trouble selling out large venues in big cities for one night, not sure they could fill 6,000 seat halls for multiple nights, plus with Geddy's need for a day off in between, they can't play five straight nights in one city so they would have to be there for like two weeks, not sure its really a viable idea....

maybe a special five night run at massey hall, but i can't see them doing multiple nights in atlanta or kansas city, etc...

:wtf: Where in the hell did I state five straight nights in one city? Its a tour with 15 night, one night in each City and notnot consecutively. They could play every fourth day for all I care.... Ph wait you' are responding to the other post... My Bad! :outtahere: As for the orchestra question. Behind the band like the Moody Blues! Gemini: The boys liked touring with the strings, they don't need to toss anything, except unyielding fans. (No Insult to anyone in particular! )

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

At the RRHOF Geddy's said they view themselves as a work in progress...they are far from done. They will continue to be creative...it's in their bones. It's what they do. Get ready to be blown away. Clockwork Angels is a new path forward. Get ready for sock puppets and blow-up dolls on stage.

Sock puppets, Blow up Dolls. .....Well you called the Midgets and Flavor Flav did show up at the RRHOF, so I guess we can start exexpecting those Sock Puppets!

• Like 1

Rush will never have a farewell tour. I'm sure of this because they take everything day by day and don't plan too far into the future...

when you think about it, every time they finish a major tour they take a big break because they want to focus on families and other interests and have no thoughts of what's next. then eventually they slowly start talking and writing again when the spark hits and it leads to an album/tour..

I kind of look at it like retiring and then coming out of retirement every time they have a long break.

every time these senior citizens do a tour, consider it a gift and remember it might be the last! ;)

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 5

Rush will never have a farewell tour. I'm sure of this because they take everything day by day and don't plan too far into the future...

when you think about it, every time they finish a major tour they take a big break because they want to focus on families and other interests and have no thoughts of what's next. then eventually they slowly start talking and writing again when the spark hits and it leads to an album/tour..

I kind of look at it like retiring and then coming out of retirement every time they have a long break.

every time these senior citizens do a tour, consider it a gift and remember it might be the last! ;)

well said...

• Like 1

Yup, you just can't turn that off :)

Ged stated in an interview (late last year IIRC) something to the effect of "we're not going to continue the 3 hour format after this tour is finished, it's too physically demanding".

That tells me two things: They at least aren't planning on CA being the end of the road, and obviously their shows may end up being shorter in the future.

• Like 1