Istanbul

Good,bad,andrush

I just returned from Istanbul from a college trip and I must say...it is one of the most mesmerizing and beautiful and surreal places I've ever seen. I couldn't imagine how incredible it would be. Getting lost and enjoying the company of warm people, amazing food, incredible sites, and bazillions of bazaars...everything really exceeded my expectations.

Has anybody ever gone? Just want to hear your stories, I miss it already...

Merhaba!

I've been fascinated with Turkey for a while. I was even teaching myself Turkish for a time, I only remember a few words. Then I started learning Persian.

They are beautiful languages, but I would rather visit Turkey, not Iran... :unsure:

I just returned from Istanbul from a college trip and I must say...it is one of the most mesmerizing and beautiful and surreal places I've ever seen. I couldn't imagine how incredible it would be. Getting lost and enjoying the company of warm people, amazing food, incredible sites, and bazillions of bazaars...everything really exceeded my expectations.

I've never been. I am curious - are there restrictions on what women can wear? Does the city have a Western feel, or are there customs one should respect?

I've never been. I am curious - are there restrictions on what women can wear? Does the city have a Western feel, or are there customs one should respect?

Most Turks are Muslim, but the government is secular, so any restrictions on clothing are imposed by an individual's religion, not the government.

Most Turks are Muslim, but the government is secular, so any restrictions on clothing are imposed by an individual's religion, not the government.

Exactly. Most girls wore scarves but they had patterns and colors and they wore them very far back, hardly covering anything. Ad they'd even wear short shorts too.

I actually lived in Istanbul for year but was only two years old at the time and don't have much memory of it. My father was working there and brother was even born there. However, I do have memories of this guy who would bring my older brother and I ice cream from time to time and still remember what the Turkish word for ice cream is. It is dondurma.