Hey, I would like to start a roll call for people that ride motorcycles here.

I had a thread many years ago, but it got left behind and I would really not want to revisit it. I don't think... Well, maybe... :LOL:

I ride a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja. That's me in my avatar riding in my first track day. I ended up being fastest in my group by having an advantage in the turns. :haz:

I went from growing up on trials bikes, quads and dirt bikes to riding my own motorcycle. I never did enjoy riding as a passenger.

Seven and a half years ago, I went for a ride with a friend and came home 2 months later from the hospital. I'm now titanium reinforced in my spine. It took a lot out of me, but 15 mins after my last spine appt I was back on a bike again. It's been a long, tough road filled with lots of tears, shaking, vomit, dropped bikes and plenty of resolve to kick the PTSD. I went backwards and sold my Yamaha R1 and got a Yamaha YZF600 the "Thundercat". That was like trying to corner a couch and way too heavy, so I sold it and bought a Honda CBR600 and rode that for a while. I got to the point of just sitting on the bike, in the garage and I would sob and tremble. I almost gave up riding. Eric saw my despair, and bought me a brand new 2008 Ninja 250R. He bought the last blue one in Oregon, Washington and Idaho for the year. That was when they came out with the brand new body style.

I love my bike. I've been riding it ever since and I haven't looked back. I've had some great, peaceful rides and some scary moments and some VERY close calls, but I'm always learning and riding.

There's no better peace than riding my bike up on the back of Mt. Hood listening to my music. I live for those moments. They are my heart and soul.

I've been commuting on my bike since I got new kicks for it on my birthday, and I actually drove my car to work today. I felt odd. Out of place. Enclosed.

This is why I ride. To be free. To live in the moment of joy, peace, and to fly and be free.

Why do you ride?

well, isn't this a great thread for a fun little story hahaha.

My dad was always a biker, I grew up on Harleys and would watch him clean and repair his choppers in the driveway. I always loved motorcycles and never thought twice about hopping onto one! =]

when I was 16 dad and I went to the store on his bike, just to pick up a bag's worth of stuff. I'd held onto a bag on the back of a motorcycle dozens of times before, no problem.

When we were walking out of the store it started to rain and dad asked if I wanted to wait it out. I said no, it's light, we can do it. We're so close to home! lol

The very last second, my dad decided against taking Lewis avenue, the main street that ran through town. The time of day where everyone's getting off work, traffic EVERYWHERE.

We took back roads and I started feeling myself shift and slide on the seat because it was wet, my dad pulled over so I could adjust myself. we were almost home when we hit a tiny bump and I slid right on off the bike >.<

It was like slow motion, just watching the road get closer and closer to my face lol. I thought "well...this won't be good." and went completely limp, went with the flips!

I don't know how many times I flipped, but when I got up I was all the way down the road. I was just glad a car didn't turn at the worst moment!! I just heard bone smack against pavement, my face and head was being smashed with every flip lol.

I looked up and my dad literally jumped off the bike and let it crash to the ground, he was running towards me screaming "are you okay?????" my entire head/face was numb, I was in shock and started crying because I was convinced I had shattered my face!

Spit out a bunch of blood and when I got home, l saw I had no skin whatsoever on my face, I had a black eye that would make Rocky say "DAAAAMMMMNNNNNN" and was swollen totally shut, my bottom lip, I bit it so hard it was completely fat and was actually pushing my top lip against my nose lol. I had to pull strips of skin off my neck lol.

Thank goodness my dad decided against Lewis avenue at the last second- if I had fallen off the bike there, I would've been killed pretty instantly after being hit by several cars 0_o

later that night I walked into a restaurant and, no lie, my brother will even tell ya- I made EVERY SINGLE PERSON in that restaurant put their silverware down and push their plates away. Just seeing my face, everyone stopped eating!! LOL

The next day my dad got me a broken wings patch =D

I haven't been on a bike since, I still love them but am terrified to ride one again lol.

Edited by hobo73

Dear gods...

My accident is similar. I was riding with a friend, we were on I-5 SB on MP 194-6 and a car cut us off. My friend panicked, grabbed a gear and we went from 65 mph to 120 and the bike flipped. I remember every second and didn't feel a thing until I had landed. The front of the bike went way up to a 12 O'clock position and all I could see was blue sky.

I did a reverse back flip on the concrete and that's what broke my spine. I flipped, rolled, and tried to stop. It felt so weird being that close to the concrete on the freeway. At one point, I was sliding on my right shoulder and saw sparks. There was the sound of grinding plastic. I thought "wow! cool! I can't wait to tell the guys I saw sparks!" I had time to think. I thought about my girls. I wanted to take all the actions back that led up to this very moment.

When I landed, I half sat up and knew right away my back was broken. I wiggled my toes to see if they still worked and I saw them move. I looked at my right hand and my glove was tattered and hanging off my hand. I moved my fingers and the middle one wouldn't move. There was a numb, stinging pain that you get when your body is impacted extremely hard. Blood was dripping off my hand.

I thought that I should get off the freeway before I get finished off there, and risked paralysis to run to the other side. In my adrenaline state of shock, I didn't notice the freeway had been stopped. I ran to my friend who ran to me and I told him I was hurt really bad to call Foxx, who was my very best friend at the time. I stood there as Rene took in the damage on me(trained motorcycle policeman) and I stood there and wet my pants. I remember apologizing to him for wetting myself. He laid me down on a blanket someone had furnished and they covered me up while we waited for an ambulance. I held very still. I knew I was going to die. The pain felt like I was burning all over my body. My back hurt. My ass hurt. My hand hurt and I felt sick. I knew I wouldn't see my babies or my family again. I was very peaceful. Once you accept your fate that you will die, a peace come over you because you know there's nothing you can do to reverse it.

Once I was in the ER, they called in a plastic surgeon for my hand as I was a professional cosmetologist at the time. I went into shock and I remember the warm blanket they put on me, I wanted to absorb the heat. I was shaking so hard I asked the nurse if I was having convulsions. She said "no, honey. you're in shock!" There was an urgency with the dr's and nurses. I was going tachycardic and they were concerned about cardiac arrest. I kept trying to die. I didn't want to live with the pain I was going through. I begged them to kill me.

They did an MRI on me to find out where the fracture in my spine was. I could feel the machine pulling on my navel piercing. T-9 was demolished and so was T-10. I took the top off my left middle finger and broke it. I almost lost it. I broke my tail bone, and my ass was rashed away. There were huge lacerations on my seat bones, my shoulder had been ground to the bone on the right side and I had random holes in my body. I was in ICU for a week while I had about 4 surgeries that week. What I remember most was my friends and family coming to see me. Supporting me. Calling me. Quite a few TRF'ers called. Even ones in England/Ireland. One of my TRF friends booked it from Seattle to come be with me in Eugene. So did my daddy.

They would roll me over trying to keep my spine stable to do twice daily dressing changes that felt like they were ripping skin off all over again. My back would spasm so hard I couldn't draw a breath. I kept asking for them to put me in a coma or to let me die. Please!

I spent almost 2 months in the hospital. I had open wounds for 4 months and couldn't work for 4 months. I was scared to be alone, I was scared to live. I was constantly in pain, and it is my constant companion now. It's hard to deal with a body that is forever changed, and I have one of the most intense cases of PTSD that my therapist has seen.

I never know when I will jump and cry at certain sounds. I can't help it. A skate boarder got me the other day, I was walking during my lunch, and I saw him coming. When he passed by, my body just jumped and shook all over. It's involuntary. When I see a bike crash on YouTube or in real life, I freak. When people wheelie next to me, I can feel it and I have to pull over and catch my heart and my breath.

I'm forever changed. I have faced my own demise and won, but I will pay for it. Life has been very hard. So hard, sometimes I wonder why didn't I die?

I think I'm on the other end of the bad years. The bad years(cancer scare, divorce, abusive boyfriends, dangerous child molester I sent to jail, lost my best friend when she tried to break my boyfriend and I up, and I lost my sweet Granny) started in 2004 and ended this year. This past spring felt like a death, when it was the death of the old me and the beginning of a stronger, smarter, and kick ass me.

Fire refines you and tempers you like metal. Making you strong.

Dear gods...

My accident is similar. I was riding with a friend, we were on I-5 SB on MP 194-6 and a car cut us off. My friend panicked, grabbed a gear and we went from 65 mph to 120 and the bike flipped. I remember every second and didn't feel a thing until I had landed. The front of the bike went way up to a 12 O'clock position and all I could see was blue sky.

I did a reverse back flip on the concrete and that's what broke my spine. I flipped, rolled, and tried to stop. It felt so weird being that close to the concrete on the freeway. At one point, I was sliding on my right shoulder and saw sparks. There was the sound of grinding plastic. I thought "wow! cool! I can't wait to tell the guys I saw sparks!" I had time to think. I thought about my girls. I wanted to take all the actions back that led up to this very moment.

When I landed, I half sat up and knew right away my back was broken. I wiggled my toes to see if they still worked and I saw them move. I looked at my right hand and my glove was tattered and hanging off my hand. I moved my fingers and the middle one wouldn't move. There was a numb, stinging pain that you get when your body is impacted extremely hard. Blood was dripping off my hand.

I thought that I should get off the freeway before I get finished off there, and risked paralysis to run to the other side. In my adrenaline state of shock, I didn't notice the freeway had been stopped. I ran to my friend who ran to me and I told him I was hurt really bad to call Foxx, who was my very best friend at the time. I stood there as Rene took in the damage on me(trained motorcycle policeman) and I stood there and wet my pants. I remember apologizing to him for wetting myself. He laid me down on a blanket someone had furnished and they covered me up while we waited for an ambulance. I held very still. I knew I was going to die. The pain felt like I was burning all over my body. My back hurt. My ass hurt. My hand hurt and I felt sick. I knew I wouldn't see my babies or my family again. I was very peaceful. Once you accept your fate that you will die, a peace come over you because you know there's nothing you can do to reverse it.

Once I was in the ER, they called in a plastic surgeon for my hand as I was a professional cosmetologist at the time. I went into shock and I remember the warm blanket they put on me, I wanted to absorb the heat. I was shaking so hard I asked the nurse if I was having convulsions. She said "no, honey. you're in shock!" There was an urgency with the dr's and nurses. I was going tachycardic and they were concerned about cardiac arrest. I kept trying to die. I didn't want to live with the pain I was going through. I begged them to kill me.

They did an MRI on me to find out where the fracture in my spine was. I could feel the machine pulling on my navel piercing. T-9 was demolished and so was T-10. I took the top off my left middle finger and broke it. I almost lost it. I broke my tail bone, and my ass was rashed away. There were huge lacerations on my seat bones, my shoulder had been ground to the bone on the right side and I had random holes in my body. I was in ICU for a week while I had about 4 surgeries that week. What I remember most was my friends and family coming to see me. Supporting me. Calling me. Quite a few TRF'ers called. Even ones in England/Ireland. One of my TRF friends booked it from Seattle to come be with me in Eugene. So did my daddy.

They would roll me over trying to keep my spine stable to do twice daily dressing changes that felt like they were ripping skin off all over again. My back would spasm so hard I couldn't draw a breath. I kept asking for them to put me in a coma or to let me die. Please!

I spent almost 2 months in the hospital. I had open wounds for 4 months and couldn't work for 4 months. I was scared to be alone, I was scared to live. I was constantly in pain, and it is my constant companion now. It's hard to deal with a body that is forever changed, and I have one of the most intense cases of PTSD that my therapist has seen.

I never know when I will jump and cry at certain sounds. I can't help it. A skate boarder got me the other day, I was walking during my lunch, and I saw him coming. When he passed by, my body just jumped and shook all over. It's involuntary. When I see a bike crash on YouTube or in real life, I freak. When people wheelie next to me, I can feel it and I have to pull over and catch my heart and my breath.

I'm forever changed. I have faced my own demise and won, but I will pay for it. Life has been very hard. So hard, sometimes I wonder why didn't I die?

I think I'm on the other end of the bad years. The bad years(cancer scare, divorce, abusive boyfriends, dangerous child molester I sent to jail, lost my best friend when she tried to break my boyfriend and I up, and I lost my sweet Granny) started in 2004 and ended this year. This past spring felt like a death, when it was the death of the old me and the beginning of a stronger, smarter, and kick ass me.

Oh my god. You are one strong woman. Very inspirational .

• Like 2

Dear gods...

That is an AMAZING story. I hope I never know what it feels like to have to accept the unexpected and start to fade, thinking of my daughter's beautiful face. that ripped my heart out :(

It's amazing that you survived!!!!! You win the motorcycle crash story contest lol. (I'm not laughing at the horrific details, just so you know!!)

My "horrific vehicular mishap", as I have come to refer to them, came later that same year. (16 was a bad year for me and vehicles, I guess haha.)

It was me in the passenger side back seat, my older brother Justin in the passenger front seat, and our friend Adam was driving. A little ways down the road Adam pulled over and said "hey.....we really should wear our seatbelts this time. I am not moving until we all have our belts buckled."

Justin and I were both overcome with the same urgent feeling Adam had, and said "yeah...yeah we really should."

We were all teenagers, idiot teenagers, and never went out of our way to buckle the seatbelts. This time, I remember a distinct gut feeling that I couldn't ignore- I had to be buckled in.

That's the last thing I remember- it felt like I blinked and when I opened my eyes again, I was in a cold gray room, on a bed with doctors and nurses surrounding me on all sides. I looked down and had IVs/needles up and down both arms, and I was absolutely drenched in blood. MY blood. Head to toe, I looked like Carrie at the prom!! 0_o

I FLIPPED THE F*CK OUT.

I yanked every needle out of both of my arms and started whipping them as hard as I could at the nurses and doctors, throwing punches and kicking at them wildly. My parents said they never heard such creative cursing before lol. I was terrified out of my mind and wanted to hurt every person in that room.

Turns out, hospital staff are definitely trained to restrain patients when need be LOL. I was strapped down and remember someone cutting away my jeans, and my left ankle was all twisted and bloated.

I had no idea what was going on, and I was numb.

I remember maybe 5 minutes of an 8 hour hospital stay, to this day I don't remember the actual car crash at all. I woke up at one point and the staff in the room were panicking, and I heard "IF SHE LOSES MORE BLOOD SHE'S DEAD!!!! CMON GUYS!!! WHERE IS SHE BLEEDING FROM?!?!" and it faded to black.

Turns out my head was cracked open like a melon, and when they would clean my face, within seconds a fresh coat of blood would be pouring out of my head. This is when my hair was past my butt, and it's incredibly thick so they had a really hard time finding the head wound. 0_o

I never felt a thing, I kept blacking out and was just tranquil the whole time. It was like I was watching it all happen to myself. It was truly an out of body experience. I was calm as could be.

I was awake when they stapled my head shut, and even told the nurse "You can dig deep, I won't feel it" lol.

I eventually wandered out into the waiting room and everyone just stared at me in horror. I said "what?? why are you all looking at me like that?!"

I saw my reflection in a window and said "OHHHH okay." >.<

Bloody hospital gown, head torn open- must've scared the crap out of the kids lol. whoops.

I remember a doctor telling me I had a "severe concussion" and fading out again.

From what I have been told, Adam was turning left and a car was coming, but he thought it was going slower than it actually was and turned in front of it. An off-duty paramedic happened to be directly behind us when it happened (what're the chances????) and Justin was knocked out cold, he bashed his face against the dashboard and the airbag did him in. Adam was wandering outside the car in total shock, mumbling about his shoes.

I was completely twisted around in the backseat and had to be cut out of the car. I was told that I was coherent, totally calm and was even making jokes with paramedics as I was being cut out. I gave them all the emergency contact info they needed. Well...good to know I was coherent enough to do that, right??

My head smashed right through the window and if I hadn't been buckled, I would have been ejected and died instantly.

We all survived, no worries lol.

Justin said as he was being taken out of the ambulance he saw me get wheeled past covered in blood and he said I looked "dead. Just dead." He said he began screaming my name and begged people to tell him I was alright, he said he completely lost it and thought he lost his best friend that day.

Adam crumbled at my parents' feet and begged for their forgiveness, sobbing hysterically. We grew up with Adam- his sister was my best friend- and they were like siblings to us. Our parents never were mad at him and tried to assure him it was okay. (Adam never was the same after the accident, he definitely toned down a lot and just changed.)

Last thing I remember was a doctor saying "we found your shoe after all!!" and handing it to me. I don't know how I made it upstairs at home, and into bed. I woke up and couldn't remember my name, age, my own home was not recognizable to me, and we used to own the sweetest, calmest dog ever, MaryJane. I was TERRIFIED when I saw her. I had no idea whose dog it was and it took me a long time to realize "wait....isn't she mine?"

I knew Justin was my brother, but for the life of me could not remember his name.

Next thing I knew it was the next day- Thanksgiving!- and I woke up in a pitch black room. I somehow went over to my mom's place and apparently fell asleep right away. I stumbled to the kitchen, silently ate some macaroni and cheese, and laid back down lol. Everyone just stared at me the whole time. I really had no idea who my mom and grandma were, either. To me they were just random women in the room.

To this day my ankle clicks every time I go down stairs, on each step lol. I can feel a weird separation where my foot meets my ankle that's not in my right foot. >.<

There's my horror story lol. I never want to go through it again.

Oh, and when Justin and Adam went to the junkyard to get personal items out of the mangled car, they said the guy working said "My god. Such a shame those young people died. How are you guys related?"

Justin said we all lived, and the guy was in total disbelief. "BUT THERE'S BLOOD SPLATTERED EVERYWHERE!!! There is too much blood for you guys to have lived!!!"

Edited by hobo73

What are your thoughts on the Yamaha V Max? A buddy of mine had one back in the day

I haven't heard much about them, which could be a good thing, eh? :LOL: I usually hear negative things about a bike and how much hp it has and performance. I hang mostly with a sportbike crowd, and have a few crusier friends.

No news is good news! You can do a google search on the bike and find out it's idiosyncrasies from forums and the like. :)

• Like 1

Thank you, Xanadood. :hug2:

Treeduck, you can't kill yourself on one, I won't allow it!!!! :rage: :hug2:

I nearly killed myself on a push bike! :LOL:

I nearly got run over on one...

A friend of mine nearly killed himself on a motorcycle going about 125 mph. I saw pictures of that bike and it was shattered to little pieces. Everyone was amazed that he even survived it. He still has complications several years after, and I know now he's not taking anything for granted. He's even about to get married, so I'm really happy for him. :)
  • Like 2

Ok, well, here's the car. No matter how many times I wiped my camera's memory card clean, THIS PICTURE ALWAYS REMAINED. Every single upload, the car popped up. Spooky.

That's Justin in the green coat.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e337/hobo73/POPSANDME020.jpg

Yep I ride, for a looong time I have been on a bike. crashed too.. It happens Pic of my girl is in my sig, 98 Valkyrie. Its a bit large but fast too. Likes Deals Gap as well as Vail.:-) Got to be careful when in the wind, cages will get you if you aren't.
  • Like 1

Yep I ride, for a looong time I have been on a bike. crashed too.. It happens Pic of my girl is in my sig, 98 Valkyrie. Its a bit large but fast too. Likes Deals Gap as well as Vail.:-) Got to be careful when in the wind, cages will get you if you aren't.

My sister in law's boyfriend has a Valkyrie. He's about 350 lbs., and my sister in law is about 230 lbs. It's damn funny seeing both of them on that bike. :LMAO:

Yesterday, I went with Eric to get a new chain and some other bits and bobs for his XR650 maintenance.

I found a dual sport bike that I can safely straddle and barely touch bottom on. Tippy toes, but its do able. I like it. Its a Yamaha 250. I guess I need to start getting used to the idea of me doing wheelies. I will need to get the balancing act of weigjt displacement, throttle and clutch control down so I can get over trail obstacles. Eric asked me if I dound a bike I want.. I said yes. Finally. :eh: Its taken me a while to get to this point.

Last night, after he finished his nike, I asked him to ride with me. I filled his tank up and we went for a short 25 mile scoot around the area. Its been stormy here, so I thought it would be fun.

The sky was partly cloudy with an orange sunset to the west, a crescent moon with the opening facing my precious eastern wilderness. There was a low but bright planet twinkling happily. To my east, the cloudse were moody and very black in the night sky. Pink and purple flashes of lightning were fitfully showing themselves over the mountain. There was low fog we rode through where the air was dense and cool. It felt nice aftwr the opressing humidity and warmth. The air was too warm and heavy earlier.

It was absolutely beautiful. I started the ride witha considerable amount of upset. Little things have been avalanching onto my shoulders and I had to outrun these demons and reset myself. Riding hard around the corners, dipping quickly around curvy chicanes and perfectly cambered corners I finally was free. I even managed to lose Eric in the corners, I'm not sure if that was purposely, or if I'm getting faster. I wasn't trying hard either. Hes normally very quick.

I reset my world. I rode with Eric and had a great time. Even over the stupid people in cars blocking traffic and the drunk driver we trailed for 5 miles and the idiot in a white car with a bad case of idiot type road rage. *eye roll*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/spiritcreekmountain/20130810_160435.jpg

This is the dual sport I'm considering.

ETA picture of bike and E in the background.

Barring idiots, that was a ride where your heart takes a picture to save forever.

Edited by Alsgalpal
  • Like 2