What would it be like... if Alex took over Geddy's stage banter?

Mika

I was just listening to a live version of 'Animate', and at the end Alex is given an opportunity to say 'hello' to the crowd, which he then does in his off-the-wall, silly, funny way. He certainly seems to have a silly sense of humour!

Geddy has always had the job of talking to the crowd - except for way back when it seemed John Rutsey did it. While I enjoy Geddy doing it (never thought I'd ever use that phrase), I wonder what it would be like if Alex was the one that interacted with his Rush denizens? I wonder what kind of silly things he would end up saying? Or would he not be silly - maybe his silliness is best left for opportune (and inopportune) moments of his choosing during the show.

Geddy has often introduced 'Red Barchetta' as, "This is a song about a car. 'Red Barchetta'." (and this tour, introducing 'The Analog Kid' as, "This is a song about a kid. 'The Analog Kid'.") I wonder how Alex would introduce this? "This is a song about a car, a red car, and speaking of cars, I was driving the other day, and this guy cut me off, and we pulled over, and I got so mad that I wanted to tear off his ears. No, I'm just kidding - he saw my guitars in the back and asked if I played music, and I said I was in this band, and he said cool, and then he saw the Rush logo on a guitar case, and he got all excited and asked if I could get Geddy's autograph for him. And then I punched him in the nose." And that would be the cue for the start of 'Red Barchetta'.

I wonder....

And bonus points for anyone that got the 'tearing off ears' and 'punching in nose' reference!

• Like 3

Yeah, I always thought Alex should talk more during the concerts. I think it would be even better if there was stage banter between Alex and Geddy, and they could argue over something about the next song, or else trivial, and they would end it by asking Neil his opinion, and he would just shrug.
  • Like 2

Less talk, more songs. I'd easily give up 3-5 minutes of Alex and Geddy joking around with each other if it meant ONE more song being played.

The little Rush movies (or whatever you call them) at gigs are amusing but I'd even give up half of that time allotment if it meant ANOTHER 1-2 extra songs being played.

Sure, they're fun and funny guys but they're not comedians. Give me Broon's Bane, Hope, an extended Closer to the Heart solo or whatever over a 2 minute comedic Alex rant any day.

As far as introducing songs, I don't care who does it

• Like 3

Yeah, I always thought Alex should talk more during the concerts. I think it would be even better if there was stage banter between Alex and Geddy, and they could argue over something about the next song, or else trivial, and they would end it by asking Neil his opinion, and he would just shrug.

Ok, then you have to check out this clip, this almsot exact banter starts around 1:14:

http://youtu.be/RP5mgO5UOHQ

Less talk, more songs. I'd easily give up 3-5 minutes of Alex and Geddy joking around with each other if it meant ONE more song being played.

The little Rush movies (or whatever you call them) at gigs are amusing but I'd even give up half of that time allotment if it meant ANOTHER 1-2 extra songs being played.

Sure, they're fun and funny guys but they're not comedians. Give me Broon's Bane, Hope, an extended Closer to the Heart solo or whatever over a 2 minute comedic Alex rant any day.

As far as introducing songs, I don't care who does it

I agree, Lately their intro movies have gotten pretty long. They could easily include one more song within that time. I think they had it right from R30 and prior. They were funny and cool and didn't make you think " Get to the Song already!" When they got to the Snake and Arrow and Time Machine Tour, some of the films were way too long. They seem to cut it back a bit for Clockwork Angels, and yet they were still a bit too long. I actually like when the videos have Cameos. Like Jerry Stiller, Count Floyd, The Great White North and the I Love You Man Guys . The I love you man guys had it perfect at the end of the show! As for Alex introducing songs, I'm fine with that as long as its short.

Alex: "This is a song about Dogs" then they start Dog Years and break into By-Tor & the Snowdog!

My Emotions: :facepalm: followed by :drool: and ending in :rush: :haz: :rush: !

Ok, then you have to check out this clip, this almsot exact banter starts around 1:14:

That Doesn't count, I mean live unscripted banter

You can see that on the View From The Palace DVD, where Ged says something like, hey let's talk to Lerxst over there...and then Alex talks for about a minute. The real funny part is during CTTH, when he introduces Geddy as Mr. Ted Nugent and Neil as Sparky Henderson.

Love it when Alex hits the mic.

• Like 1

Wasn't sure if you'd been to any of the shows... Otherwise it would have been pretty funny that you've (almost) would have got what you've asked for ;)

Edited by Catch The Mystery

I think it was unscripted, He changed it every night. Down here in West Palm Beach it was about some crazy Alligator Attack. The only thing that would be scripted would be its placement and the introduction of a song has placesment as well. Son in a sence thats scripted too.

:codger:

You can see that on the View From The Palace DVD, where Ged says something like, hey let's talk to Lerxst over there...and then Alex talks for about a minute. The real funny part is during CTTH, when he introduces Geddy as Mr. Ted Nugent and Neil as Sparky Henderson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxm_jqfYgJY

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxm_jqfYgJY

Yeah, that's the part I was referring to. The Stanley Cup. :D

I think you just described the Rush In Rio animated film that plays behind them during By Tor. :LOL:

I love Neil's facial reaction when he's being introduced! I wonder if Alex thought up who he would introduce the guys as beforehand, or if it was totally all on-the-fly.

And I thought it was Sparky Anderson, but then I don't know this person is, anyway! :P

I love Neil's facial reaction when he's being introduced! I wonder if Alex thought up who he would introduce the guys as beforehand, or if it was totally all on-the-fly.

And I thought it was Sparky Anderson, but then I don't know this person is, anyway! :P

Sparky Anderson, former Detroit Tigers manager. Ted Nugent, native of Michigan. I think Alex introduced himself as Lee Iacocca.

Sparky Anderson, former Detroit Tigers manager. Ted Nugent, native of Michigan. I think Alex introduced himself as Lee Iacocca.

And Lee Iacocca was the head of Chrysler or something, I think, so all Michigan-related names. Never noticed that before - to me they were just names! I recognized Ted Nugent, but figured the other two were made up on-the-fly!

And Lee Iacocca was the head of Chrysler or something, I think, so all Michigan-related names. Never noticed that before - to me they were just names! I recognized Ted Nugent, but figured the other two were made up on-the-fly!

There is a method to Alex's madness :)

Oh, didn't know Sparky Anderson, I'm not very familiar with the Major League, over here.

And who is Lee? Sorry, I'm too lazy to google.

Edit: Ah, thanks haven't seen the above posts.

Edited by greyfriar

Lol - Al is really one of a kind. So funny, it's a must to like him.

• Like 3

Lol - Al is really one of a kind. So funny, it's a must to like him.

A truer post has not been posted today.

:Alex:

:cheers:

Assuming that Neil steps up to a mic, making an annoncement, or more likely a speech out of an annoncement, than we have the real problems. If that ever happens we know the end is near. :o