"Headlong Flight" reception

coventry

because it's a jam tune where they each get to shine and don't forget they're also applauding a drum solo in there too! ;)

Actually I would really like to hear the song without the drum solo. The song is long enough and has enough Peart in it for him to need to extended it with a drum solo. Beside all he was doing was triggering the same riff that Alex and Geddy had already recorded and playing around it. If you are going to do that, just have the guys play the riff themselves.

:codger:

I actually remember wondering wondering why they put the break (brake) in (on) live. I'll reassess when the CA live dvd comes out, but I sorta prefer HF going 88 mph at 1.21 gigawatts all the way through.

• Like 3

I tend to agree it was fine without the drum solo, but it was fun. I think what makes audiences love it is first it's a rocker that reminds them of older songs and then Geddy hits that "Aggggggaaaaaaaaaaain" part so well. Every time he did it at all four shows I was at the audience went nuts.
  • Like 3

If you have to ask why audiences like HF...you became a fan because of Presto.

If you have to ask why audiences like HF...you might actually like dancing skeletons.

If you have to ask why audiences like HF...you might have SPDFLUV on your license plate.

Love Presto (though became a fan at P/G); dancing skeletons were fun to watch in a train-wreck kinda way, especially in the early 90's; "Speed of Love" is a kick-ass tune.

Any questions?

It was a real blast when we got that preview of the song, weeks before the release of CA (remember?).

Live it's just a straight forward rocker and it has this Alex killer wah wah solo. Great song.

• Like 1

Its an amazing song. As has been said previously, it melts faces. The Ark of the Covenant melted less faces. Thematically, the song is amazing. It works in context of the CA concept, but could also be seen as Rush singing an ode to their own journeys. Its easy to take this song and apply it to my own humdrum life because there have been moments of highest highs and lowest lows, times where I basked and burned. And in the end, even though there is still so much to do, I would still live it all again. So yes, the one time I heard it concert, I screamed lyrics and air telegraphed, and enjoyed the hell out of it.

That said, The Garden is a powerhouse of a song.

• Like 4

Headlong Flight is a straight-out ass kicker. Simple as that. At the Chicago show last September, they nailed it. I cheered every song at that concert, sang to every song, air-drummed (badly) to everything they played, just like we all did...but Headlong Flight was the only song I stood up and applauded a few seconds before it ended, in appreciation that they could still bring it with this much fury and kick-assedness at this stage of the game. And I know many of you stand throughout entire Rush concerts lol, but we were upper deck front row, so we could actually sit through most of the show and still see everything.

It's such a triumphant, all-in, thumper of a song. Easily one of my favorites.

• Like 1

because it's a jam tune where they each get to shine and don't forget they're also applauding a drum solo in there too! ;)

Actually I would really like to hear the song without the drum solo. The song is long enough and has enough Peart in it for him to need to extended it with a drum solo. Beside all he was doing was triggering the same riff that Alex and Geddy had already recorded and playing around it. If you are going to do that, just have the guys play the riff themselves.

:codger:

I actually remember wondering wondering why they put the break (brake) in (on) live. I'll reassess when the CA live dvd comes out, but I sorta prefer HF going 88 mph at 1.21 gigawatts all the way through.

oh hush! lol

that's Rush.. duckin', weavin' and changin' it up all the time like they always have!

I know what you're saying though. I like playing drums along to Budgie's 'Breadfan' but when I come to that slow boring middle section it just kills it for me.. kinda the same thing.

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 2

So - what with all the enthusiasm for the tune, could "HF" be construed as a "return to form" as a few people on the board have been pining for?

I tend to agree it was fine without the drum solo, but it was fun. I think what makes audiences love it is first it's a rocker that reminds them of older songs and then Geddy hits that "Aggggggaaaaaaaaaaain" part so well. Every time he did it at all four shows I was at the audience went nuts.

Oh, man. That was my favorite part. When the DVD comes out I'm going to show the clip of Geddy's "Agaaaaaaaain"'s to everyone who thinks his voice has lost its power.

Freaking awesome. :haz:

• Like 1