Vapor Trails Remix: The Poll - Will you retire your 2002 messy mix copy, once you have the shiny new WHITE remix

treeduck

Vapor Trails Remix: The Poll  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Once you have the new VT remix will you retire your old 2002 copy?

• YES, I can't wait to file it away under WITHDRAWN FROM RuSh SERVICE
    • No, I have a feeling this new mix will sound less energized, weaker, empty somehow
    • I think I'll be playing both, sometimes back to back!
    • I may put them together in a 2 CD jewel case and create a VT double album
    • I'm not buying the new remix, I like the old one as it is
    • I hate the album regardless of mixing or mastering, the songs f***ing suck! Yes I am rushgoober, of course!
    • I hate the album, I agree that it is a piece of shit, but I'm not rushgoober...
    • I have a feeling I'll start off loving the new mix but eventually revert back to the 2002 edition
    • I'm going to perform numerous sound tests to determine the best version
    • I'll buy it, I don't really care about the mix, I just want to add it to my RUSH collection
    • I may not buy it, I haven't thought much about it yet
    • My name is METALDAD, it's a cash-in job, selling the same album and hoping for the same sales figures just because they f*cked up the mix
    • My name is EARL "Master of Japan" RUSHHEAD, I currently have 79 different editions of the new VT on order!
    • My name is Steevo, I need this album, it makes me hard!
    • My name is Hatchet Pete, this is another opportunity to use my vinyl-hole sized knob!
    • My name is Rick N Backer, I love Poison, they sound like Van Halen!
    • My name is Tick, I want to try and exploit this release event to my own advantage!
    • My name is Babycat, I just want to lap milk from a bowl in front of naked men!
    • My name is coldfire I once challenged Neil Peart to a masturbation marathon, and I came out on top, literally!
    • My name is Johnny Blaze, I just want to slap something on the stereo when I'm banging the Blaze harem girls!
    • My name is Neil Peart, this album is going to fund my new career as a male lap dancer!
    • Alex Laughfson here, this album will keep me in cakes for exactly 3 months
    • Jeddie Lee here, this album will pay for that nose job I've been putting off for decades
    • Tony R here, I'm fat, I'm f*cked and I'm 50, come and get me girls!!!
    • Principled Man here, this year the mighty SAINTS are gonna be brilliant and dominate the NFL!
    • Lost in Xanadu here, this year the Packers are gonna suck dead donkey dong
    • hello I'm Laughedatbytime, the Dolphins new uniform makes me fcuking blind and sick at the same time!
    • The OWL checking in, I've bought the remixed Vapor Trails ten million times in my dreams! I'm just scared that reality will be a bit of a letdown
    • H. P. L. here, I remixed the album myself in 1979, yes more than a decade before it was even released! Ghost Rider is called Happy Days are Here Again on my copy!
    • I am HOBO I like gluing plastic bottles to my crotch and humping ladies in the park!
    • Lerxt1990 here, what remix? What the devil is going on? I'm busy collecting new life from Mars on my bacon sandwich via my back yard porch swing...
    • Eddie Van Halen here, a couple of my albums are brick-walled to death too
    • Cosey Toses here, what? ME buy another copy of Vapid Trolls? I'd rather have my bollocks stapled to an angry baboon's arse!
    • Pags here, look I'm a FIREMAN, I can deal with it, I can deal with a bad mix, I can deal with muddy production values. A bad mix it's like smoke in a burning building ok? And I can see right through it to the love in the people inside!
    • Sunny Sunny Sun girl here, I'll be Geddy's pin-up girl any time he wants it! Neil is creepy now though so he'll have to just deal with that, Alex is my second choice!

Having been adamant for the longest time that Vapor Trails, original or remixed, was a piece of filth, I finally came to my senses and realised that it is actually one of the bands best albums and an absolute masterpiece! I prefer it to Permanent Waves, Signals, Presto and possibly Hemispheres. I really think it is that great.

And for the record, I enjoy both the 2002 and the remix version, and in many ways the raw anger of the original is powerful and beautiful in its own hideous way.

Sorry haters, it gets a 9.5 from me, the same as Power Windows, Caress Of Steel and 2112.

• Like 3

Having been adamant for the longest time that Vapor Trails, original or remixed, was a piece of filth, I finally came to my senses and realised that it is actually one of the bands best albums and an absolute masterpiece! I prefer it to Permanent Waves, Signals, Presto and possibly Hemispheres. I really think it is that great.

And for the record, I enjoy both the 2002 and the remix version, and in many ways the raw anger of the original is powerful and beautiful in its own hideous way.

Sorry haters, it gets a 9.5 from me, the same as Power Windows, Caress Of Steel and 2112.

The legends foretold of Segue doing the Segue yet again.

• Like 1

Sometimes your first instinct is the correct one and you just need to go with it.... :D

Edit: In the same breath with the others mentioned.... :no:

Edited by Narpski

It's heavy metal! With a wall of buzzsaw guitars and Jedi Lee wailing like a fool in a whirlwind, Alex Zivo, belly full of cakes and more hair on his arse than his head blasting out the riffs and Neil PEEEE-ART going through the motions and looking tortured in the really bad band photos! :haz:

Segue i love ya......but you make me wanna run my head through a brick wall sometimes,

:rage:

:D

Mick

• Like 1

Segue i love ya......but you make me wanna run my head through a brick wall sometimes,

Mick

Second that..... :codger: :sigh:
  • Like 1

Well, this thread is new to me, so here goes........

I gave the original a 6 out of 10 back in the day, but it fell out of rotation because of the digital noisiness and over-compression of the mix (yes, I can definitely hear that stuff....I have both an analog and digital recording set up I use depending on what I'm doing).

The re-mix for me is far more pleasing on both a production and mixing level. The sound has a rounder, smoother feel, and is so much less cluttered. I enjoy nuance in my music and the re-mix supplies that so much more.

For Sale: 1 used copy of VT original release

Edited by LocalsBandGuy

Mick

Awww but guys I love doing the Segue!

• Like 1

some of the changes make the remixed version a matter of taste at times but it pays to persevere in my opinion, if only for ged's bass which is transformed in this album and is a thing of beauty on ghost rider especially.... on secret touch remixed at the end in particular the bass just ooozes sexiness and it even makes a big difference on tracks like stars look down for me.

yeah i cant see myself ever going back to the original VT although like i say, some of the changes, particularly in secret touch like added sound effects or whatever, leave a little to be desired. on that one i think i'd have just prefered the simpler original with sound quality enhanced.

Also, the jury's still out for me on the remixed ceiling unlimited at the point where Al does that thing on his own in the original and is just isnt there at all in the remixed. i dunno if i like that fundamental change at all but im still trying to get used to it.

i'll also repeat, and i've said it before as it really p*sses me off, that I SIMPLY CANT BELIEVE the sound distortion or whatever it's called in peaceable kingdom a the heavier moments, like a speaker that's been blown out or something in background its a truly awful production/engineering error that isn't there in the original and surely can't be deliberate... which is a real shame as the remixed PK is actually a whole lot better, otherwise.

tracks like out of the cradle and sweet miracle vastly improved too and one little victory is just sensational.

the one fundamental change i'm used to now but took me ages of play was the chorus in ghost rider where ged's harmonies in the original been brought forward as the main voice but over it now, took a good few months but finally registered.

all in all, the remixed VT offers even more to listen to without most of the awful sonic sh*t but could have been even slightly better with a bit more care and attention.

some of the changes make the remixed version a matter of taste at times but it pays to persevere in my opinion, if only for ged's bass which is transformed in this album and is a thing of beauty on ghost rider especially.... on secret touch remixed at the end in particular the bass just ooozes sexiness and it even makes a big difference on tracks like stars look down for me.

yeah i cant see myself ever going back to the original VT although like i say, some of the changes, particularly in secret touch like added sound effects or whatever, leave a little to be desired. on that one i think i'd have just prefered the simpler original with sound quality enhanced.

Also, the jury's still out for me on the remixed ceiling unlimited at the point where Al does that thing on his own in the original and is just isnt there at all in the remixed. i dunno if i like that fundamental change at all but im still trying to get used to it.

i'll also repeat, and i've said it before as it really p*sses me off, that I SIMPLY CANT BELIEVE the sound distortion or whatever it's called in peaceable kingdom a the heavier moments, like a speaker that's been blown out or something in background its a truly awful production/engineering error that isn't there in the original and surely can't be deliberate... which is a real shame as the remixed PK is actually a whole lot better, otherwise.

tracks like out of the cradle and sweet miracle vastly improved too and one little victory is just sensational.

the one fundamental change i'm used to now but took me ages of play was the chorus in ghost rider where ged's harmonies in the original been brought forward as the main voice but over it now, took a good few months but finally registered.

all in all, the remixed VT offers even more to listen to without most of the awful sonic sh*t but could have been even slightly better with a bit more care and attention.

I need to pay more attention to the original and try and determine what changes I like best and not.

But VT is certainly a top ten Rush album for me now!

Top five (no order):

Grace Under Pressure

Hold Your Fire

Moving Pictures

A Farewell To Kings

Caress Of Steel

Rest of my top ten (no order):

Vapor Trails/remix

Signals

Hemispheres

Power Windows

Edited by Segue Myles

Mick

Me too. A more flighty individual I've never encountered. :LOL:

• Like 2

Mick

Me too. A more flighty individual I've never encountered. :LOL:

He is one that in a perfect world that I would love to meet one day. There are many also here that also fit that desciption. Great folks... :cheers:
  • Like 1

Aww guys! I feel the same way!

Until tomorrow when I do a Segue and hate the lot of yah!!

Joking lolsies

• Like 3

Let me briefly explain why I am the way I am:

I see art in everything. Some things I really dislike, and it makes me want to dig deeper and deeper. You know it has taken my sixth time to explore The Lord Of The Rings books before I finally came to truly appreciate Tolkiens genius?

It took me 18 years to finally recognize the genius of The Beatles.

It took a lot of work to understand metal, but I had to know what the fuss was about so I kept trying over and over until I found artists that clicked (I was raised on classical, pop and musicals).

I have experienced dog phobias and suffered with water fear. So I made myself sit with dogs until I came to understand them, and I learnt to swim and enjoy aquatic wild life.

I drive people nuts but I love to explore and learn! Too much beauty gets overlooked because we fail to take the time to dig deep.

Plus I have OCD. I don't really have a choice!

• Like 3

Let me briefly explain why I am the way I am:

I see art in everything. Some things I really dislike, and it makes me want to dig deeper and deeper. You know it has taken my sixth time to explore The Lord Of The Rings books before I finally came to truly appreciate Tolkiens genius?

It took me 18 years to finally recognize the genius of The Beatles.

It took a lot of work to understand metal, but I had to know what the fuss was about so I kept trying over and over until I found artists that clicked (I was raised on classical, pop and musicals).

I have experienced dog phobias and suffered with water fear. So I made myself sit with dogs until I came to understand them, and I learnt to swim and enjoy aquatic wild life.

I drive people nuts but I love to explore and learn! Too much beauty gets overlooked because we fail to take the time to dig deep.

Plus I have OCD. I don't really have a choice!

You are wise beyond your years. Keep it up. :)

My nephew had OCD. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

• Like 1

I am doing a jmmy page with my original copy of VT,it comes with a companion disc,except the remix is the main disc.Just realized that there is no instrumentals on VT thats how much i have listened to it over the years.Like the LZ reissues the old VT will be filed under rough mixes.Still think that a lot of the album is still a big downturn in songwriting.

after hearing the original so many times, I prefer it over the remix

My original plan was to continue playing one after the other and listen to them that way, but the original (despite it's sonic faults) continues to just blow me away so I haven't really been listening to the reimagined one. I should though just to be used to it.

• Like 1

I was excited for it, and I bought it, reasonably expecting that it would be sterile in comparison, and i was right.

I am glad I have it in my collection, however if I were to listen to this album, I'd still go with the 2002 version, warts and all.

EDIT: to be fair, it sounds like it could be a bad mastering job more than anything. which seems to have been part of the problem (Clockwork Angels sounds like a bad mastering job as well).

Edited by maxdistortion

I must be honest, I never heard the original. It was released during a time when Rush had fallen off of my radar entirely (which now seems unfathomable, but for a good 14-15 years, that was the case).

Bought the remix round about 2015, and it sounds good, I think. Definitely not among my favorite Rush albums, but it’s not the dung heap that Test for Echo is, either. I do get in the mood for VT sometimes.

• Like 1