How long has Ged been using a teleprompter?

Ayeegit

I'm not sure how much he really "used" it, but from our vantage over on Alex's side, I was able to see one of Geddy's teleprompters scrolling lyrics by.

We've had more "central" seats on the last few tours, so I don't know if it's been there for a while now or not - certainly can't fault a 60 year-old guy for wanting a safety net, but it did make me wonder if it's something new or not.

I just noticed this, too, and I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking.

I get the lyrics goofed up in my head and I am #1 fanboy, so I can't imagine singing these same songs every night and not getting lost. :blush:

• Like 3

Hasn't your mind ever drawn a complete blank? I'm sure it has happened to him. I think the teleprompter is there as a "just in case". At his age, you never know, you know? They don't call them "senior moments" for nothing.
  • Like 2

I just noticed this, too, and I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking.

I get the lyrics goofed up in my head and I am #1 fanboy, so I can't imagine singing these same songs every night and not getting lost. :blush:

Oh! You're the #1 fanboy? That's odd. I thought NHL was. Hmmm...

• Like 1

Hasn't your mind ever drawn a complete blank? I'm sure it has happened to him.

As I mentioned, there's no way *I'm* going to fault him for wanting the lyrics nearby - I'm only 42 and I'm not sure what I had for lunch yesterday.

It was just one of those "Never noticed those before - wonder how long he's had them on stage" questions/moments.

• Like 1

Oh! You're the #1 fanboy? That's odd. I thought NHL was. Hmmm...

I think we all have to be to be reading this site.

• Like 3

As I mentioned, there's no way *I'm* going to fault him for wanting the lyrics nearby - I'm only 42 and I'm not sure what I had for lunch yesterday.

It was just one of those "Never noticed those before - wonder how long he's had them on stage" questions/moments.

I'm nearly 42... :P

I understand all the reasons for doing it but still not sure I agree with it. I play in cover bands and it is a big no no for a singer to have lyrics written down on a music stand or something. I know tons of national bands do it but not sure that I agree. Using extra samples is one thing but this is a crutch that shouldn't be used. Just my opinion.

Im in a coverband too and IMO, I think if you are JUST the singer, you should be on your game. However in my band, the lead singer is also the drummer, so he has to multitask big time so he uses an iPad for a safety net. Geddy has alot to do on stage...nothing wrong with that.
  • Like 1

I believe he started using them on the TFE tour in '96 when they started doing the 3 hour shows.

That's when I first heard that he used one as well. I don't blame him, Geddy is doing a lot between bass, keys and vocals. I'm not surprised he would forget where he is sometimes. There's songs I've known by heart for years and sometimes i'll forget the next line or sing the wrong words. They are playing 20 something songs a night so if he needs a little help with the words I completely understand.

I'm 23 and don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday.

He did invert the lyrics on the final chorus to "Analog Kid" -- singing the "open sea and city lights" part first and then the "with your buildings..." part second. Don't know if this was an intentional thing or simply a singer unintentionally inverting lyrics to a song he's been singing for thirty years and to whome maybe 3% of the audience will pick up on things.

He did invert the lyrics on the final chorus to "Analog Kid" -- singing the "open sea and city lights" part first and then the "with your buildings..." part second. Don't know if this was an intentional thing or simply a singer unintentionally inverting lyrics to a song he's been singing for thirty years and to whome maybe 3% of the audience will pick up on things.

It was intentional, he did it the entire tour.

• Like 1

Well just as long as that one fired news intern guy doesn't get the job of setting it up for him, I'll be happy.

Just imagine:

THE TREES

---------------

THERE IS UNREST IN THE FOREST

THERE IS TROUBLE WITH THE TREES

FOR THE MAPLES WANT MORE SUNLIGHT

AND THE OAKS THINK SUM TING WONG

• Like 6

Well just as long as that one fired news intern guy doesn't get the job of setting it up for him, I'll be happy.

Just imagine:

THE TREES

---------------

THERE IS UNREST IN THE FOREST

THERE IS TROUBLE WITH THE TREES

FOR THE MAPLES WANT MORE SUNLIGHT

AND THE OAKS THINK SUM TING WONG

:laughing guy:

That scenario would also require them to play the Trees! :codger:

Since the TFE tour for sure.....the longer shows almost made it required. back then, he probably just needed them as back up.....even now, as the tour goes on, he needs it less and less, but its nice having it as a back up for sure....