New DT Song

It's an ok track. Nothing offensive. However, it feels like a standard DT ballad to me, nothing to connecting honestly, though I think they did the right thing to put this out now, so that they make sure that everyone is not over-anticipating the epic-feel songs. Edited by Anguyen92

"Along for the Ride" is now streaming. http://www.blabbermo..._medium=twitter

Eh, it's pretty good I guess but I agree with most people here it's a far cry from something like The Silent Man, Hollow Years, Another Day, or even Beneath the Surface!

And by the way, did you guys notice Myung´s Geddy-like tone towards the end? It´s almost like he took out the Rickenbacker for a spin!

He's had that sound for awhile, you can notice it a lot when the drums and bass first come in on In the Presence of Enemies Part 2. When you can hear his bass, it sounds awesome as hell.

Del_Duio, I like it far more than the recent ballads they put out. The ones on ADTOE were not at all my cup of tea. For me, this is their best "ballad" since Solitary Shell - even with the tacky keyboard solo.

Del_Duio, I like it far more than the recent ballads they put out. The ones on ADTOE were not at all my cup of tea. For me, this is their best "ballad" since Solitary Shell - even with the tacky keyboard solo.

I listened to it again and I think the terrible snare drum sound ruins it. I mean for a band like DT and a drummer like Mangini, HOW does this snare sound make it in there I just don't get it?

Yeah the keyboard solo isn't that great either. And it's the same sound / effect for the solo he used in Beneath the Surface too. Don't get me wrong, I'm a really big DT fan and I love almost everything they've ever put out, new stuff included.

• Like 1

I´m not a drummer, so the "horrible snare drum sound" that everyone´s talking about does not bother me. It does sound triggered, but then again a lot of the drum sounds on Images & Words sound and ARE triggered.

I listened to it again and I think the terrible snare drum sound ruins it. I mean for a band like DT and a drummer like Mangini, HOW does this snare sound make it in there I just don't get it?

Yeah the keyboard solo isn't that great either. And it's the same sound / effect for the solo he used in Beneath the Surface too. Don't get me wrong, I'm a really big DT fan and I love almost everything they've ever put out, new stuff included.

I'm in the same boat. How did the snare mix get approved? The full-bodied, robust flavor, with tonality, dynamics, bright crispness... Those are all traits of a snare sound I WOULD expect from a PROGRESSIVE ROCK band that doesn't bend down to stoop to lower levels of diminished quality even if it's in an attempt to sound current (the hot snare sound of the minute.) They smashed his snare flat as a pancake. Sad...

I´m not a drummer, so the "horrible snare drum sound" that everyone´s talking about does not bother me. It does sound triggered, but then again a lot of the drum sounds on Images & Words sound and ARE triggered.

I'm not trying to "school" you or anything but IAW snare sound was a plan B scenario, not at all their initial ultimate goal, because after mike did his takes, and the others did takes, they discovered they could not do anything to make the snare sound decent. So in an effort to avoid literally starting over (which I'm sure they could NOT afford then) they did what many engineers end up doing. You re-trigger the signal into a sound module and use a sampled sound. MP hated the final product but they simply didn't have the resources. Things would have been different using today's non-linear editing techniques, but not then. However, if you like the snare sound on images and words, that's your preference. For me, I interpret it as a step backwards. Sounds like some gated reverb bs stuff to me. Just my personal preference...

Masked Drummer, don´t worry about schoolig me, I don´t mind it one bit! In cases like this I guess my sonic "ignorance" works to my favour, but it´s always good to learn more about mixing, sound engineering etc.

By the way, here´s the "official" DT post of the song on youtube, I hope you guys change your opinion about the mix and/or drum sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHqLK229G3A

Good strong song, aside from the bridge which appears around 2 minutes in after the guitar solo... But then that's saved by Rudess's ELP reminiscent solo. Not sure if that's on a keyboard or an apple app, sounds like he could have done that with his very own Morphwiz. You might notice the transistion from note to note is often smooth rather than snappy as it would be if he were actually going from key to key. Of course this isn't impossible to pull of with a keyboard with some settings modified or even a pitchbend - which would be insane, but Rudess is insane so...

I agree about what most of you are saying about the drum mixing, here it's less intrusive than it was in "The Enemy Inside" however, I was disappointed with that one. This one I'm pleased with.

The official release still has that terrible snare sound. I'm only a psuedo-drummer but to me it almost sounds like he's hitting another tom instead of a snare drum. Maybe, and hopefully, he is for this song??
  • Like 1

The official release still has that terrible snare sound. I'm only a psuedo-drummer but to me it almost sounds like he's hitting another tom instead of a snare drum. Maybe, and hopefully, he is for this song??

I thought maybe they "deadened" the sound just for the streaming version to make you buy "the good mix" (official) but to me it sounds like Synsonics drums, the toy drum machine. That snare sounds like a loose and crappy tom drum as well... hmmm... It may be I'm too demanding, but it all sounds too smooth and non-human in feel...

I don't think I'll bother with the stream. The sound quality will probably be low and my WiFi sucks, so I don't want my first listen to be a shitty stream that continuously stops and re-buffers. Plus I have class at noon on Monday so I'd only be able to listen through it once. I'll wait until the release.

So the whole album will be streaming on Monday at 10 am EST. Can't wait!!

Cool, that means at some point after that the album will be available to download somewhere ;)

I'm surprised that the band would even have the audacity to stream the entire album :o

For those who can't wait for the stream tomorrow, a radio rip of "The Looking Glass" is floating around on Youtube. Don't want to get in trouble for linking it here though.

I listened to it twice. Great track, in a similar feel to Innocence Faded or Surrounded minus the slow part. What I liked about it the most is that it has an early DT vibe.

IT'S OUT THERE (and I'm not talking about the official stream)

Listening now. It's almost 5 am where I am but I don't give an f*^$. Time for a mini-review.

False Awakening Suite: Cool stuff, like a metalized version of a movie soundtrack. 4/5

The Enemy Inside: 5/5

The Looking Glass sounds so much like :rush:, also has an early DT vibe as Rodrigo mentioned. 4.5/5

Enigma Machine: Wow, the musicianship is absolutely top-notch (though that's not a surprise coming from this band). So groovy and Mangini is a beast. Haunting solo from JP. Makes me think they should have written an instrumental for every album. 5/5

The Bigger Picture: Now THIS is a proper ballad, not so generic sounding like the ones on ADTOE. Very epic and beautiful, probably some of Rudess' best work (sometimes simpler is better). Also, DAT SOLO. 4.5/5

Behind the Veil: Ah, a nice Metallica/Megadeth vibe here. Excellent riffage and a real headbanger. And yet again: MANGINI :notworthy: 5/5

Surrender to Reason: Another one that sounds like early DT. Great symphonic elements and great overall songwriting. Just so friggin proggy and :rush: like. 4.5/5

Along for the Ride: 4/5

Illumination Theory: Absolutely off the charts musicianship here. Every member of the band is a beast in this song. And the symphonic elements blow away the ones in Surrender to Reason. Utterly epic and bombastic and amazing. The bit at the very end is just sublime. 5/5

Overall: Best album since Octavarium, if not Train of Thought. 9.75/10

And off to bed I go...

Edited by adace1

Just listened to the live stream......OMG....I cannot wait to get my CD copy in the mail, and listen to this beast in high-quality glory!! :haz: Probably my favorite DT album since Scenes From a Memory :yes: