New DT Song

If you don´t like this band, chances are your opinion will stay the same after hearing their new single. If you like´em, listen to it RIGHT NOW!!! http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2013/08/05/dream-theater-enemy-inside-premiere/2613895/

I really like how the drums sound here, way higher in the mix than in ADTOE. LaBrie sounds like Mustaine in some of the verses. There´s a keyboard bridge that sounds EXACTLY like the one on "On the Backs of Angels". The song does a great job at keeping the spirits high for the upcoming album.

I know, it´s typical DT. What I think changed was that (based on only one song, mind you...) they´re heavier than ADTOE but without trying to sound like Metallica or Disturbed. And they kept the prog DNA as well.
  • Like 1

Beats the hell out of "On the Backs of Angels" IMO... as far as leadoff tracks go.

Same for me, although there are some common elements between the two - not least of all Jordan´s lead after the first chorus.

Speaking of the title, I thought it would be cool if the song had a nod to The Enemy Within, like they did before with other Rush songs. Not this time...and reggae wouldn´t really fit with all the heaviness of The Enemy Inside anyway.

One side of DT I am growing tired of is Jordan´s "jokes" on a few songs, and this one has one that almost ruins it for me. The joke has gotten old two or three albums ago, and he insists with the ragtime piano, the weird effects here and there...it´s something a producer would get rid of in a flash - if only they had one!!

The comments on YT are priceless. Some DT fans make some Rush fans sound normal.

"If you'd rather listen to Haken, the f**k's your whiney ass doing here? Don't like it, piss off. And don't try and insult my intelligence just because you're being a butt hurt little bitch over a band changing their sound."

The comments on YT are priceless. Some DT fans make some Rush fans sound normal.

"If you'd rather listen to Haken, the f**k's your whiney ass doing here? Don't like it, piss off. And don't try and insult my intelligence just because you're being a butt hurt little bitch over a band changing their sound."

I know...I just joined their forum as well, you guys would think TRF has only mild discussions every now and then by reading some of the posts out there.

I gotta admit, I'm more disappointed than I was with "On the Backs of Angels". God, the mix is just so muddy and not like Dream Theater at all. Has anyone noticed that the actual sound quality of the music itself has gone DOWN since Portnoy left?

The title sounds rather familiar.

Haha, I know, eh, that was the first thing I thought of, too. :rush: :D

... God, the mix is just so muddy and not like Dream Theater at all. Has anyone noticed that the actual sound quality of the music itself has gone DOWN since Portnoy left?

Yeah, I was disappointed with the sound quality, but it might be just due to the low-quality file. Some people aren't a fan of this, but I actually liked the way MP mixed the drums a little higher in previous DT albums; one, because I liked his drumming, and two, it gave the tracks more punch and seemingly more dynamic range. I really dig Mangini's drum sound on The Enemey Inside, but way it's mixed -- the way everything is mixed and mastered -- is just disgraceful, IMO. It's a shame that good music, like DT is making, suffers from poor production like this. If this record would be produced with the dynamic range typical of records in the 70s and 80s... hot damn!

I don't know about you, but to me the best DT track ever in terms of mixing is Blind Faith. Any thoughts?

I would agree and extend that to say the whole 6DOIT album. There is something just so organic and warm about the sound on that record. And, I mean, like most records at that time, the dynamic range isn't exactly fantastic. But, to me, at least everything has room to breathe and is not muddled like on "The Enemy Inside" or even ADToE. Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't 6DOIT the last DT album recorded and cut on analogue tapes?

The song's available on iTunes and it sounds a bit better than the original stream. Still trying to avoid over-listening to it, but it's hard!

Yeah, I'm being super careful about over-listening. I want to enjoy the song in the context of the album when it comes out, rather than playing through the album and going, "Oh, this one again?"

That drum sound is awful. As a Rush fan I am used to the prominence of drums in the mix but in this song theh are too intrusive. Of course if they want to feature on Kerrang TV...
  • Like 1

That drum sound is awful. As a Rush fan I am used to the prominence of drums in the mix but in this song theh are too intrusive. Of course if they want to feature on Kerrang TV...

And so the thread can begin in earnest now that Tony has made his opening contribution. The forum will spend the next few hours plotting it's reaction to this critique. Expect a multifaceted response in gradual waves, and incremental steps. This could take some time. :smoke:

And so the thread can begin in earnest now that Tony has made his opening contribution. The forum will spend the next few hours plotting it's reaction to this critique. Expect a multifaceted response in gradual waves, and incremental steps. This could take some time. :smoke:

It must be crack yer smoking Duckster.

It must be crack yer smoking Duckster.

No it's burned Dream Theater CD vapour...

:smoke:

I don't know about you, but to me the best DT track ever in terms of mixing is Blind Faith. Any thoughts?

I think Blind Faith is one of their best songs and one of my favorite DT Track. Anyway, "The Enemy Inside "is pretty Basic and straight forward for Dream Theater IMO. Well until the ending passages anyway. Definately, heavier than their last album. Regardless, I have something in hand to keep me occupied for the rest of 2013 or until RUSH releases their live/ DVD. :codger:

After four listens its growing on me something fierce. :haz: