Another tour ending.

HalfwayToGone

Tomorrow is the last show of the CA tour, and I find myself much more closely following the goings on of the band and tour than ever. I suppose that's in part because of the interwebs, and the instant access to info, whether it's through this forum, the band's web page & emailing list, FB/twitter, Neil's travelogues on his site, and so on, but the web has been around since the mid-90's, so I think that doesn't fully explain why I am so much more interested than I was when they toured the previous few albums.

At the age of 60, I find it impressive that Rush can still tour at all, let alone playing more than 2 hours every other night for months at a time. There are others out there, like KISS, although they have two young guys on leads and drums, and Sabbath, although they haven't consistently toured in a while, and this is the first time in 13 years that they are out with mostly the original band, and it looks like this will be their farewell tour.

Anyway, it's been a great run for Rush starting with the Time Machine, the two singles, and then their best album in about 30 years (in my opinion) and a tour stretched out over almost a full year, along with the overdue induction to the HOF. Congrats, and thanks! The "old days" may be long gone, but I'd still prefer the elder Rush to the most popular younger entertainers out there. So while some Rush fans lament the fact that Geddy can't hit the notes he did on the pre-80s songs, and I personally largely ignore the albums between power windows and CA, I still think Rush has it over most of the field. There are notable exceptions, but not a wealth of them. Lets hope they can find some gas to refill the tank over the next year or two, and fire up the engines again.

• Like 17

Well said indeed.

Indeed a phenemonal tour in support of a phenemonal album. Sure they have intentions to tour again in 2015 but we learned after the TFE tour that there are no guarantees. So hopeful we'll get another shot at seeing them again and perhaps another new release some day. Worse case, if they go out peaking, I'll take it.

For those going to the KC show, cherish the moment for all of us who won't make that show.

• Like 3

I didn't even go to any concerts, yet I feel depressed that the tour is at an end. It is easy to get swept away in all of your excitement, and I find myself genuinely happy for all of you that had the wonderful opportunity to see them, some of you more than once, during this tour.

I'll tell you what I think will happen. They won't go more than a year without getting another tour in motion. Why? Because they know they are in their waning years and don't have many more really good years left. Especially for Neil. Playing the drums for almost three hours is rough at any age let alone someone over sixty. He won't be play as forcefully as he now does for much longer.

That's my opinion. Either they'll tour again beginning in the Autumn of 2014, or they'll call it quits on touring. It takes a lot of energy and "get up and go" to tour. I have to hand it to them and they have my sincere admiration and respect.

• Like 6

I went to five shows on this tour and one of the reasons why I forked out the money was because I was concerned that they may not tour again. I know they say that they're planning to, but anything could happen. It's pretty much a given that they'll be working on music but whether or not they'll have the stamina to do such a long tour is hard to tell. You would think that they would want to go out on a high note.
  • Like 3

I went to five shows on this tour and one of the reasons why I forked out the money was because I was concerned that they may not tour again. I know they say that they're planning to, but anything could happen. It's pretty much a given that they'll be working on music but whether or not they'll have the stamina to do such a long tour is hard to tell. You would think that they would want to go out on a high note.

I would rather see them quit touring now than watch them go downhill. I already watched one band do that; I don't have it in me to watch another. It's pitiful to watch.

It's best, as you so very well said Eagle, that they go out on a high note.

• Like 3

I would rather see them quit touring now than watch them go downhill. I already watched one band do that; I don't have it in me to watch another. It's pitiful to watch.

It's best, as you so very well said Eagle, that they go out on a high note.

Oh absolutely. I think if they felt like they couldn't handle playing out anymore that they would quit. I think they'll continue to put out music for a good long time yet though. I can't see any evidence of any of them not playing as well as they used to. Even though Geddys voice has deteriorated a bit his bass playing is better than it's ever been. Neil is still a monster on the drums. Alex is still great, if he'd put out a bit more on the songs and add a few more solos. It's kind of become Geddy as the lead bassist and Alex as the rhythm guitarist. Not that I'm complaining too much because I love his bass work but I'd still like to see more guitar based albums. That's another topic. :)

I hope they'd go down to 2 hour shows if they can't keep up with 3 hours, just instead of quitting. I'd take 2 hours, even 1 hour, than nothing at all.

Most important though: I don't want to see them go downhill. They have an impressive career behind them, so no need to hit the bottom for the sake of some extra years. Doubt the boys will keep on going if they feel their quality is substandard.

• Like 4

I didn't even go to any concerts, yet I feel depressed that the tour is at an end. It is easy to get swept away in all of your excitement, and I find myself genuinely happy for all of you that had the wonderful opportunity to see them, some of you more than once, during this tour.

I'll tell you what I think will happen. They won't go more than a year without getting another tour in motion. Why? Because they know they are in their waning years and don't have many more really good years left. Especially for Neil. Playing the drums for almost three hours is rough at any age let alone someone over sixty. He won't be play as forcefully as he now does for much longer.

That's my opinion. Either they'll tour again beginning in the Autumn of 2014, or they'll call it quits on touring. It takes a lot of energy and "get up and go" to tour. I have to hand it to them and they have my sincere admiration and respect.

It looks like it will be more than a year ..

Rush lighting director Howard Ungerleider addressed the band's future touring plans in this interview from earlier in the week:

... Are they talking about touring again? Yes. They're talking about possibly touring in two years. But there will be nothing again for two years, we know that. ...

So if this is the case, we won't be seeing any kind of 40th anniversary tour next year, nor any tour at all until 2015 at the earliest.

This was on Rush is a band last month. I'm with you in saying they won't want to do a half baked tour, it would be better to think they went out on a high note. Wish I was going to be in KC tomorrow, I just wonder what is going to happen. Guess we have to wait whether we like it or not :(

• Like 1

but yeah, woo hoo, awesome tour, glad to have seen them a couple of times (but I never got to hear body electric!!!)

the only classic band I can think of that I would even put on the same level performance-wise is iron maiden, and they have 6 dudes making noise, not 3.

• Like 1

but yeah, woo hoo, awesome tour, glad to have seen them a couple of times (but I never got to hear body electric!!!)

the only classic band I can think of that I would even put on the same level performance-wise is iron maiden, and they have 6 dudes making noise, not 3.

Yeah, Maiden is still relevant, releasing new music and still kicking ass with the original band.

• Like 2

It looks like it will be more than a year ..

Rush lighting director Howard Ungerleider addressed the band's future touring plans in this interview from earlier in the week:

... Are they talking about touring again? Yes. They're talking about possibly touring in two years. But there will be nothing again for two years, we know that. ...

So if this is the case, we won't be seeing any kind of 40th anniversary tour next year, nor any tour at all until 2015 at the earliest.

This was on Rush is a band last month. I'm with you in saying they won't want to do a half baked tour, it would be better to think they went out on a high note. Wish I was going to be in KC tomorrow, I just wonder what is going to happen. Guess we have to wait whether we like it or not :(

They know themselves best, so I guess we have to trust their judgment. So far, believe it or not ( :o ), not one of them has called me up and asked me my opinion on the matter. ;)

• Like 2

Yeah, Maiden is still relevant, releasing new music and still kicking ass with the original band.

maiden and rush are my 2 all-time favorite bands

• Like 1

Yeah, Maiden...and still kicking ass with the original band.

Off topic but you're kidding, right? Have you heard the First and Killers?

Yeah, Maiden...and still kicking ass with the original band.

Off topic but you're kidding, right? Have you heard the First and Killers?

Um, yeah. I've been listening to Maiden since like 1985. What's your point? Are the new albums as good as the classics? No,but they still bring it live , and the new stuff is decent. For a band with their history, that's more than you can ask for.

And yes, I know it's not the " original" lineup from the early stuff, but close enough.

Edited by Xanadoood

Have to admit.... there was a point last night where I sat there thinking this may very well be the last time I see this happen, knowing that I was there on the penultimate night of this tour.

But I also thought way back in 1992 that "gee, these guys have 15 albums out and are almost 40... they may not go too much longer". So I know nothing at all.

If it is the end, then I am comfortable with it. The last two shows have been bonuses for me really... in 2007, I was living overseas and had only seen Rush once, a whole 15 years earlier, and decided to spend a heck of a lot of money on a second because I told myself I wasn't going to go through the rest of my life only seen them once.

It just so happens I have a third and now a fourth to my name, and I am satisfied with that, especially since I've now taken my wife twice (and she got to see "Bravado" played).

Man, this album and tour are going to be VERY tough to follow up.

Agreed...Clockwork Angels is a true Rush masterpiece....

While I would very much welcome new music down the road, the fact that this was a true concept album, a full story, and brilliantly done leaves me wondering how they would follow this up, especially if its just a "regular" type album with 10 tracks that are just songs, like how Snakes & Arrows was....

And while you can never rule anything out, it would seem that the Clockwork Angels string ensemble is a one tour thing as well...i suppose they could do a full show with strings, but it fit just right with them doing just the CA material thru YYZ....I liked the fact that Rush was back to a three piece for the final songs...

• Like 3

I am in such deep credit card debt over the same kind of thinking others here have expressed. I did a "tour" w. the band last fall:indy,chic, detroit, columbus, s. louis. Then in Dec. in Houston. Lastly in Nashville. I am soooo afraid they will retire or worse, expire. (My one prayer is that I die before any of them do.!!!) lol. I do not regret spending the money. I treated some of my friends to the shows, so that was cool.

I absolutely love CA. It's such excellent music. I only wish that they had done one song with the strings that they did not: Losing It. I do not know if that has ever been done on tour (I took a 15 year hiatus from concerts after I paid good money to have Axl Rose call us dumbfux for attending his show.) whatever. My friend begged me to take him to see S&A in "07. Boy do I love that album now. I especially love Vapor Trails in spite of wide loud criticisms of it's recording quality. So I will wait with baITED breath for the next tour. Idc if they make new music...just pbring on the old and this fan will be happy.

BTW...IF they tour again...when they do...I will give anyone who can get me a meet n greet a grand. It would be worth it to me.

So glad to share with you all. Let's keep RUSHing on...Furthur! Brahahaha

I saw Maiden at Shoreline Mountainview. CA 2012. I was a little disappointed. I notice newer fans like the music I'm not that fond of. I pretty much topped out at Somewhere in time. The Powerslave Tour back in 85 was much better than this with one less guitar. Speaking of guitar the sound was horrid. Very muddy. I won't totally fault the band MV has had many issues in the past.

This tour has been a blast! Originally, I was disappointed with opening night's setlist, but as it evolved I fell in love with it. I was lucky enough to get to see all but 2 songs they played on this tour (working man and TBE). For my first RUSH concert it was absolutely incredible and then for AC it was so much better. These guys truly gain momentum as they go through the tour. I remember disputing whether it was worth it to go see these guys live before I became a huge fan. It's awesome to see an older band create awesome music in this day and age, in my generation, and then go out and perform it every other night. Once I heard CA, they had me sold. But I'm getting off into a tangent (I do that a lot), so I digress.

Although it is disappointing that the tour is ending, this just builds the excitement for the next tour to come around. I personally am extremely excited since nobody knows what is next for the group. They deserve at least 2 years off, and at that time, I'll be a sophomore in college, at another stage in my life. I'm interested to see how much of a difference there really is between now and then. All for the best? Or some bizarre test?

I think from now on, I'm a die hard RUSH fan, and I'm not going anywhere and neither are the guys!