Vapor Trails Remix!

Jaminbenb

Can't wait for this, I have the hd tracks version, and it sounds very nice. I will say it again VT ia very underrated album. Perhaps now, all the haters will finally see the light.

Can someone describe to me how the HD tracks sound in comparison to the original CD? I'd love to hear a sample.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m87_oxc1vj0

• Like 2

Can't wait for this, I have the hd tracks version, and it sounds very nice. I will say it again VT ia very underrated album. Perhaps now, all the haters will finally see the light.

Can someone describe to me how the HD tracks sound in comparison to the original CD? I'd love to hear a sample.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m87_oxc1vj0

Okay... I want 'em.

f**k yeah! Finally I can listen without getting a headache and ear-ringing. Now we can hear all those details.

I already lost hope because some time ago Geddy said it won't happen.

I've been listening to VT for years without the headache or the ear-ringing, and less the mid-level white noise mess that plagues the original release. It was a homemade remaster which greatly reduced the amount of clipping and thundering wall of noise, and allowed the listener to actually hear the music. With this new remix, we may be getting a new level of clarity and detail. But we also need to be prepared to get a set of songs that will have a completely different sonic feel. All of those personal favorite moments of emotion, kick, punch, or other nuances tied to the original mix could be to be taken away. The Retrospective 3 remixes did just that, and they are terrible.

I'm trying to find excitement in this remix release, but I'm just not there. Personally, I was hoping to have everything I love about the original mix to be kept intact and still be able to experience a cleaned up sound. That will more than likely not be the case. I hope I'm blown away and proven to be worried for no reason. Perhaps David Bottrill latched on to the original core of sound and the output stays true to what VT has meant to me for all these years. Time will tell, I guess.

We shouldn't think of it as losing the original release, just gaining a newer release! I'm looking forward to playing both back to back to hear such differences. I'm almost certain if there's any increase in clarity with the remix at all, that will become my favorite.

• Like 2

I'm truly amazed that anyone is spending money on this album more than once. I still want my $15 back from 2002.

Yeah well this entire Forum wants all the time back spent reading your VT troll posts, but that won't happen either. ;)

• Like 1

I'm truly amazed that anyone is spending money on this album more than once. I still want my $15 back from 2002.

Yeah well this entire Forum wants all the time back spent reading your VT troll posts, but that won't happen either. ;)

And yet you continue to read them. ;)

Edited by rushgoober

I'm truly amazed how desperately you're trying to keep that title you've got. We all know you love the album. :P

• Like 1

And yet you continue to read them. ;)

I was speaking for the entire Forum, not me. ;) ;)

Unless you have top of the line stereo/audio equipment wonder how much difference the new remix will be?

Unless you have top of the line stereo/audio equipment wonder how much difference the new remix will be?

Even I, who hate the album, have to chime in on this one. The quality of how an album is mixed, remastered, etc. makes an ENORMOUS impact on how different it will sound. Sure, the better sound equipment you have, the more startling the difference (since higher end equipment both magnifies flaws and great sound), but even a crappy system should make a huge impact. The album the way it is, is VERY difficult to listen to. I struggled through it several times to try and get into it, and besides just hating the album entirely, it was actually physically painful to listen to with all the brickwalling and clipping. I kept wanting to turn it off to make it stop. On subsequent listens to a fan remaster, the sound wasn't painful anymore. The album still sucked, but that's a whole different matter. A remix and remaster will make a world of difference in terms of the sound - especially a remix where different instruments are given stronger or weaker placement in the mix from the original.

• Like 4

Even I, who hate the album, have to chime in on this one. The quality of how an album is mixed, remastered, etc. makes an ENORMOUS impact on how different it will sound. Sure, the better sound equipment you have, the more startling the difference (since higher end equipment both magnifies flaws and great sound), but even a crappy system should make a huge impact. The album the way it is, is VERY difficult to listen to. I struggled through it several times to try and get into it, and besides just hating the album entirely, it was actually physically painful to listen to with all the brickwalling and clipping. I kept wanting to turn it off to make it stop. On subsequent listens to a fan remaster, the sound wasn't painful anymore. The album still sucked, but that's a whole different matter. A remix and remaster will make a world of difference in terms of the sound - especially a remix where different instruments are given stronger or weaker placement in the mix from the original.

Absolutely; I remember the first time I listened to the Sectors remasters and I was hearing parts that I never knew were there. A prime example being a beautiful string phrase in 'Mission' on HYF- it's barely audible on the original LP. The remasters gave me a new appreciation for those albums. So hopefully this Vapor Trails remaster will allow us to hear the nuances that are until now hidden behind a wall of noise. It'll be like having a whole new album!

Of course, the differences will probably not be that apparent to someone who compresses the tracks to MP3 and listens via a portable device with earbuds. Or through my rather aged car stereo! :LOL:

There are some better samples here:

http://www.bestbuy.c...rails&lp=3&cp=1

It sounds like it's going to be great! :haz:

Thanks for this. I'm really liking the clarity and "upfrontness" of the vocals, but the second thing that stands out to me is the drums! The bass drum is sooo much clearer and the snare really pops compared to the old mix. The drums just sound bigger and better in general.

• Like 3

If the difference is anything like the two remixes on Retrospective 3, it will be considerable. I can hear a huge difference through my cheap earbuds or my alarm clock radio that uses CDs. It will be huge. Just listen to the bestbuy samples that bluefunk posted. You should be able to hear a difference no matter your setup.

• Like 1

I'll send you $15 if you'll give up this Vapor Trails vendetta of yours! ;)

• Like 2

Holy crap. The bass sounds like a bass rather than a rhythm guitar with bad distortion. Drums sound less like pops and...well...like drums and I'm really loving bringing the vocals more center. Dammit record player, I need that part to arrive before next wednesday!

• Like 1

Holy crap. The bass sounds like a bass rather than a rhythm guitar with bad distortion. Drums sound less like pops and...well...like drums and I'm really loving bringing the vocals more center. Dammit record player, I need that part to arrive before next wednesday!

Wow... Sounds like a completely different band!!! Haven't heard drums this clearly since Counterparts!!! I didn't know Neil still used bass drums!! :eyeroll:

Someone get this guy to remaster the sonic mess that is Clockwork Angels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yes:

• Like 1

I'll send you $15 if you'll give up this Vapor Trails vendetta of yours! ;)

I'll chip in an additional $5 if he'll also stop posting half-naked pics of Justin Bieber.

• Like 1

Im surprised by this Goobs, really. I find the songs are good no matter how the mix is...you really just never warmed up to the songs themselves hah?