I'm sorry, this is ridiculous.....

nhlrush

So if you look at Rushisaband.com, there is a link to this article in today's paper here in the Salt Lake City area

http://www.sltrib.co...oncert.html.csp

It's the winning entry to two tickets to tonight's show and a meet & greet....

Hundreds of entries were sent in, the idea, how has rush touched your life....etc...

I have two problems with this story....

here they are...

I must admit, I had not listened to them a lot growing up, but Tom had gone to their concerts since the beginning, and had their memorabilia on his walls. As we were watching the Rush video and they were playing his favorite song, Tom Sawyer, he mustered up the courage for our first kiss.

I don't care that she didn't listen to rush growing up, that's not my issue...but she refers to her friend Tom.....I suppose I am just warped after all these years, but c'mon, isn't it just so cliche to say your favorite song is Tom Sawyer....of course its a great song, great rush moments, etc. etc....but really? this is your favorite song? i don't know, call me what you will....too critical? perhaps....

but this next one takes the cake folks.....this one has no excuses....period....

If I got the two tickets and the chance to meet Alex, Geddy and Neil, he would book a flight and be here tomorrow, thrilled to meet them, as would I. Their music is a part of our story.

yeah, big rush fan there.....

yeah, neil is the highlight of the meet & greet experience....

again, i know, i am being too critical....but she is obviously a casual fan at best, and yes, not everyone has to be a nut-job like me, following rush around the country....but i read this and just kinda shook my head in wonder.....

Edited by nhlrush

You're being too critical. Be happy for Tom.

Agreed - too critical. If it's any consolation, M&G's aren't that big of a deal and some people come away feeling a little let down. No worries, just be happy for those who won.

BTW: Along with MalNar & CTTH, Tom Sawyer is one of my favs! :D

i agree....meet and greets are very brief, but i know a few real diehards that really really want a shot at a meet and greet so i suppose this is why it bugs me....

i can be happy for this guy tom....

i guess its part of life that so often those who get comped tickets up front or meet & greet passes just know someone or whatever and unfortunately there are some very loyal fans who will never get the chance to tell Ged and Alex how much it all means to them....

I had my chance in 2004, it was great for sure, it was awesome to shake their hands, say hello and take a picture....I cherish the memory...

• Like 3

I'm kind of put off by contests like this: how do I prove that I'm "the biggest Rush fan"? I'm not. No one is. The fact that I'm an active member of a forum dedicated to Rush (my only forum; and where I share in lots of photos of Geddy and his butt); that I know every word to every song, and my favourites include songs such as 'Entre Nous', 'How It Is', 'Faithless', and 'Everyday Glory'; that Rush is the reason I've picked up guitar and bass; that I've watched Rush's live concerts so many times I can turn to my (dis-interested) boyfriend and say, "watch this - Geddy makes a cute eyebrow wiggle here"; that I risked danger in order to go to one of their concerts out of town (my walk back to the hotel after the show resulted in being propositioned by random, drunk guys that followed me); that I've had nothing but Rush blasting on my ipod for the past year-and-a-half (except for a two-month period when I missed my Rush so much I had to go back to just them); that I have darn near every single live bootleg that's out there, and have favourite songs off quite a few of them; that I'm finding myself dressing like Geddy with wearing a Rush shirt over a longer-sleeved shirt; that I'm singing Rush songs when I'm all alone, and getting better at them; that my life has been enhanced by my love for Rush - they make me feel good. Period.

No, this is not enough to prove my validity as "the greatest fan", and I'm set up for disappointment to share all this in a contest and be rejected by someone's 'proof' of their fandom.

• Like 2

I'm kind of put off by contests like this: how do I prove that I'm "the biggest Rush fan"? I'm not. No one is. The fact that I'm an active member of a forum dedicated to Rush (my only forum; and where I share in lots of photos of Geddy and his butt); that I know every word to every song, and my favourites include songs such as 'Entre Nous', 'How It Is', 'Faithless', and 'Everyday Glory'; that Rush is the reason I've picked up guitar and bass; that I've watched Rush's live concerts so many times I can turn to my (dis-interested) boyfriend and say, "watch this - Geddy makes a cute eyebrow wiggle here"; that I risked danger in order to go to one of their concerts out of town (my walk back to the hotel after the show resulted in being propositioned by random, drunk guys that followed me); that I've had nothing but Rush blasting on my ipod for the past year-and-a-half (except for a two-month period when I missed my Rush so much I had to go back to just them); that I have darn near every single live bootleg that's out there, and have favourite songs off quite a few of them; that I'm finding myself dressing like Geddy with wearing a Rush shirt over a longer-sleeved shirt; that I'm singing Rush songs when I'm all alone, and getting better at them; that my life has been enhanced by my love for Rush - they make me feel good. Period.

No, this is not enough to prove my validity as "the greatest fan", and I'm set up for disappointment to share all this in a contest and be rejected by someone's 'proof' of their fandom.

Exactly.

A few years ago a friend scoffed at me because I said I am a diehard AC/DC fan, I pretty much bleed for that band. (Different band, but same story.)

She said "But you have only a few of their shirts and, you may have a bunch of dvd's and cd's, but that's it. You can't be such a huge fan."

You can't tell how big a fan someone is by what they say or what they own merchandise-wise.

I know the words to all AC/DC songs, have every album, *most* concert DVDs and a lot of shirts. I have countless books, would crawl on my hands and knees on broken glass for a mile to see them live. But there are millions of people like me, and though I am a diehard fan, I can't say i'm the biggest lol. I hate contests like these.

(Gah. I had 17 AC/DC shirts at one point- let's just say someone with sticky fingers stole my entire AC/DC/music/rock memorabilia collection. Fun. SO, yes, THAT is why I don't have as much AC/DC stuff lol. my friend turned bright red after I said that!)

Mika, you are the best....

what you wrote is my whole point...

you are the kind of fan that should win some contest for a meet and greet...

not some fan who can't wait to meet Neil.....

i am not trying to totally bash the winners of this contest....but could we at least have a winner who has a clue?

for the record, i have never spent time checking out geddy's eyebrow wiggles...i think for a guy that would be just too weird...

Edited by nhlrush
  • Like 2

Exactly.

A few years ago a friend scoffed at me because I said I am a diehard AC/DC fan, I pretty much bleed for that band. (Different band, but same story.)

She said "But you have only a few of their shirts and, you may have a bunch of dvd's and cd's, but that's it. You can't be such a huge fan."

You can't tell how big a fan someone is by what they say or what they own merchandise-wise.

I know the words to all AC/DC songs, have every album, *most* concert DVDs and a lot of shirts. I have countless books, would crawl on my hands and knees on broken glass for a mile to see them live. But there are millions of people like me, and though I am a diehard fan, I can't say i'm the biggest lol. I hate contests like these.

(Gah. I had 17 AC/DC shirts at one point- let's just say someone with sticky fingers stole my entire AC/DC/music/rock memorabilia collection. Fun. SO, yes, THAT is why I don't have as much AC/DC stuff lol. my friend turned bright red after I said that!)

I have a good AC/DC nugget for you....

i am a pretty good fan of ac/dc....not like rush, just always like the straight forward power rock/bluesy music....plus they are fun to play on guitar...

so one day i was going through my mp3 player and stumbled upon Gone Shootin from the Powerage album....i never really knew this song before (as said, a very casual fan of the band) but now its my favorite AC/DC song....i sometimes drive to work and listen to it over and over again, i learned it on guitar...

i love how these guys jam....

just wondering hobo73 where this song stacks up for you.....freakin love this song.....

• Like 1

Not to rag on AC/DC, I like them too, but I still remember to this day an article I read in the 80's in a bass player magazine or something. They sat Geddy down and had him make comments on the bass guitar tracks to various songs from other bands. They played him an AC/DC track(don't remember which one) and he just ripped it. Don't remember the EXACT quote but it was something to the effect.............."I have no idea what that guy is thinking there.......no creativity whatsoever"........something like that. I found it funny then and still find it amusing.
  • Like 1

Imagine if the guy's name had been By-Tor..... :eh:

that's gonna be my son's name and it will be spelled exactly like that :)

If this is true, get him involved in the martial arts before he gets to school! :D

• Like 1

Not to rag on AC/DC, I like them too, but I still remember to this day an article I read in the 80's in a bass player magazine or something. They sat Geddy down and had him make comments on the bass guitar tracks to various songs from other bands. They played him an AC/DC track(don't remember which one) and he just ripped it. Don't remember the EXACT quote but it was something to the effect.............."I have no idea what that guy is thinking there.......no creativity whatsoever"........something like that. I found it funny then and still find it amusing.

while rush's music is very complex and AC/DC's music is a bit more simple, music should be judged on how it sounds....do you like what you are hearing, lots of people like early beatles or buddy holly and that music is very simple, but genius at the same time...

angus young was asked about if he cared that the band gets criticized that a lot of the music sounds the same....and that its very simple....he just smiled and said, "nope don't care."

the notes of AC/DC are simple at times, but nobody plays it the way angus does...

• Like 1

Exactly.

I have a good AC/DC nugget for you....

i am a pretty good fan of ac/dc....not like rush, just always like the straight forward power rock/bluesy music....plus they are fun to play on guitar...

so one day i was going through my mp3 player and stumbled upon Gone Shootin from the Powerage album....i never really knew this song before (as said, a very casual fan of the band) but now its my favorite AC/DC song....i sometimes drive to work and listen to it over and over again, i learned it on guitar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Nsyib4bv8

i love how these guys jam....

just wondering hobo73 where this song stacks up for you.....freakin love this song.....

OMG. POWERAGE. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

My favourite album by any band, ever, hands down. Gone Shootin' is SUCH a killer song- that riff! what I love most is, this entire album is very bass-driven. The bass hooks have always stood out to me as bone-crushing, amazing and fantastic ;)

=0 have you heard Up To My Neck In You? On Powerage, also!

Oh man that song is way up high on my list.

while rush's music is very complex and AC/DC's music is a bit more simple, music should be judged on how it sounds....do you like what you are hearing, lots of people like early beatles or buddy holly and that music is very simple, but genius at the same time...

angus young was asked about if he cared that the band gets criticized that a lot of the music sounds the same....and that its very simple....he just smiled and said, "nope don't care."

the notes of AC/DC are simple at times, but nobody plays it the way angus does...

Angus is the MAN. My fave guitarist of all time. I love that they never changed their sound. Why should they care? They have millions of fans, still sell out stadiums and have made quite the name for themselves =D

Jeff said it best- "Their songs don't all sound the same. They just stayed true to their style and never changed who they were."

So if you look at Rushisaband.com, there is a link to this article in today's paper here in the Salt Lake City area

http://www.sltrib.co...oncert.html.csp

It's the winning entry to two tickets to tonight's show and a meet & greet....

Hundreds of entries were sent in, the idea, how has rush touched your life....etc...

I have two problems with this story....

here they are...

I must admit, I had not listened to them a lot growing up, but Tom had gone to their concerts since the beginning, and had their memorabilia on his walls. As we were watching the Rush video and they were playing his favorite song, Tom Sawyer, he mustered up the courage for our first kiss.

I don't care that she didn't listen to rush growing up, that's not my issue...but she refers to her friend Tom.....I suppose I am just warped after all these years, but c'mon, isn't it just so cliche to say your favorite song is Tom Sawyer....of course its a great song, great rush moments, etc. etc....but really? this is your favorite song? i don't know, call me what you will....too critical? perhaps....

but this next one takes the cake folks.....this one has no excuses....period....

If I got the two tickets and the chance to meet Alex, Geddy and Neil, he would book a flight and be here tomorrow, thrilled to meet them, as would I. Their music is a part of our story.

yeah, big rush fan there.....

yeah, neil is the highlight of the meet & greet experience....

again, i know, i am being too critical....but she is obviously a casual fan at best, and yes, not everyone has to be a nut-job like me, following rush around the country....but i read this and just kinda shook my head in wonder.....

I'm sorry- this is ridiculous.. lol

I'm kidding but really it sounds like you know it is.. the winner was probably picked at random anyway..

I hear you though. I was also outraged when I didn't win the last minute Long and Mcquade meet and greet giveaway even though I snuck a second entry form into the box.. some asshole still stole it from me!!! this has been my favorite band since 1980 and I've never had a meet and greet.. :(

Maybe I ought to leave the forum since I don't seem to measure up to what a true Rush fan is.

There's no such thing as a definition of a 'true fan'!

If you like Rush, and get a lot out of them, that's good enough. We don't need to be "the biggest fans", or have our fan-ness rated by others.

I hope you were being sarcastic, and think you were, but you never know! Please never judge yourself by useless rankings of others! :(

• Like 4

Maybe I ought to leave the forum since I don't seem to measure up to what a true Rush fan is.

There's no such thing as a definition of a 'true fan'!

If you like Rush, and get a lot out of them, that's good enough. We don't need to be "the biggest fans", or have our fan-ness rated by others.

I hope you were being sarcastic, and think you were, but you never know! Please never judge yourself by useless rankings of others! :(

Thanks, Mika.

I should've put an appropriate emoticon (or whatever it is they're called) after my remark. When I thought to do so, my time to edit had "expired". :LOL:

• Like 2

You're preaching to the choir. I like all styles of music even 80's pop. Tell that to Geddy. He is the one that said it. I've heard Neil make comments about artists "dumbing down" their music to appeal to a mass audience as well. I will say this though......if Geddy played in an AC/DC cover band he would probably fall asleep. LMAO!

OMFG, so several of you are saying this person is a 'poser', because they are unaware Neil doesn't attend meet and greets? How could they possibly know that unless they hang out on forums like this? Let it go.

...and Tom Sawyer is still one of my very favorite Rush songs. There's a reasons its a radio staple and Rush can't drop it from their setlist—IT KICKS ASS AND DEFINES THEIR GREATEST ALBUM!

Edited by GeddyLeeRoth
  • Like 1

OMFG, so several of you are saying this person is a 'poser', because they are unaware Neil doesn't attend meet and greets? How could they possibly know that unless they hang out on forums like this? Let it go.

sorry to wreck your theory....but a good deal of time is spent in Beyond the Lighted Stage talking about this very subject.