Thoughts from the Vancouver show!

Mika

This might be better placed right in the Vancouver thread in Headlong Flights, but... it's near the end of the tour and I wanted to share my experience with anyone interested, not just us Vancouverites! :)

Prolouge

This was my fourth Rush show since 2008 - last one was Edmonton last year, where I had a phenomenal second-row-immediately-on-Geddy's-side seat with completely unobstructed views. This time around, I decided to go for the floor, get a different angle. I snagged a just-about middle of the 14th row, and thought about getting a zoom-ier camera to take lots and lots of pictures of Geddy a few photos of the show. The day before I left for Vancouver, I picked up an awesome new camera, and with back-up camera, cell phone, and tape recorder packed up, I was ready to go! :P

I showed up at the arena quite early - an-hour-and-a-half before the show was to start, and for some reason, hadn't made sure my bladder was empty before getting there. Eesh. I spent about 45 minutes hovering around outside the arena doors, legs crossed, getting mighty antsy. There was a Rush merchandise kiosk outside, which I'd never seen in that kind of place before, so snagged the goodies I wanted, without the horrendous line-ups I endured last time in Edmonton. I got a girl shirt, and, of course, a tour programme. Was happy to notice that there was a full two-page photo of the Edmonton show inside!

I finally got inside - made a beeline to the girls' room - and found my seat, all the way down those stairs. Ate a veggie burger (yum!), and sat on my lonesome (yes, me all by myself!), and chatted with neighbours. The lady next to me was seeing Rush for the first time, and I told her it was going to be an amazing show! Then, finally, a wee bit late, the lights dimmed....

The Show

I stood up for the opening movie, and didn't sit back down until... well, I didn't sit back down! Not only because I'm kind of shorter than all the guys in front of me, and I want to see, damn it, but because standing at floor level just seems a given, even though there were times a few others around me decided to sit (in fact, one guy near me was actually trying to get everyone around him to sit... like, why? What's the point?). So, I stood and wiggled my butt through 'Subdivisions' - Geddy's singing sounded good - and danced and sang along to every song. The boys were playing really well, as per usual, and the best part is... Geddy was wearing the red shirt I'd hoped he'd wear! Ok, that last part won't interest everyone, but it was still cool to me! And there were moments where he just seemed to dominate the bass, if you get what I mean. Parts of 'The Anarchist' definitely come to mind. And his singing got even better after the first song, so much that 'Halo Effect' sounded even better this time around than on the album, I thought!

So, as I was thoroughly enjoying the songs and catching the snippets of stage action that I could in between bobbing heads and hands, I managed to snag a few photos with my shiny new (and red! to match Geddy's shirt!) zoom-y camera. I wanted to have a good balance of taking photos to preserve the moment, and to actually be there in the moment, enjoying myself. And I found an awesome balance. Since I couldn't see much of what was going on, I was responding very much to sound, and communicating my appreciation of the music through my various gesticulations (fist-in-the-air and dancing, and tossing around my hair, mostly!).

The setlist was exactly the same as it had been in Edmonton, it turns out, so there were no surprises, but I thoroughly enjoyed it all again. And the Clockwork Angels songs absolutely rocked - they translate so well live! Such a full sound, with the orchestra, and such a great experience to listen to live. I filmed 'The Anarchist' (with my back-up camera, unfortunately, because the battery suddenly died on the new one! :() because, as I explained to the nosey guy beside me, it was "my song". There was a good energy for the CA songs, but the crowd really dug into 'YYZ' through '2112'!

Because of my poor ability to see the stage, I didn't see if there was much fun interaction between Geddy and Alex as there usually is, but I caught Geddy jumping a few times. I saw Neil fumble with a drum stick during his third drum solo (which has been remarked upon), but was kind of cute, and I saw Alex get a little mad during - I think - 'Wish Them Well' - I think he wanted his volume turned up, and gesticulated about it a few times, looking a bit miffed.

Oh, and I was sandwiched in between a guy that kept lighting up joints (which I don't really have anything against, but the smell really just kind of turns my stomach) and ended up spilling beer on my feet and creasing up my new tour book, and a guy that was aggressively trying to get everyone around him to be as obnoxiously fervent in his cheering as he was. He kept taunting everyone with being a less-enthusiastic crowd because we're Canadians (he's American). It's fine to be exuberant, but I don't think it's cool to be pestering people with how they're choosing to display their enthusiasm; everyone displays their concert energy differently! As for me, even with my dancing, hair-swishing, enthusiastic cheering (at appropriate points, not in the middle of my favourite vocal parts!) and singing along to every single word, it wasn't enough for him. He made fun of my filming 'The Anarchist' (I don't care what you think, buddy - this song means so much to me that I want to treasure it forever!)

Afterwards

The show seemed to end so quickly! Suddenly, it was over, and I found myself outside, watching over a concrete railing at the tour trucks getting loaded with gear down below. It was pretty cool, actually - a lot of teamwork, efficiency, and speed to get everything loaded up as quickly as possible. There were a lot of people moving around, each doing his (or her!) role. It's neat to see 'the other side' of a show - how much work and labour goes into putting on each show. It's such a huge effort by many people!

I got back to the hotel room, and after babbling to my boyfriend for a bit (and admonishing him to talk more quietly, because my ears were ringing something fierce and staticy), I sat down and went through my photos (on three cameras, including my cell phone!), and found some good ones and one that made me burst out laughing. If ever I can get this darn new camera to transfer photos to the computer, I'll share some.

So, it was an awesome concert, as always, and a memorable experience. I'm a bit annoyed that I couldn't see much of what was going on - I'm very visual - but I'll know for next time, that the floor just isn't that great for someone under 6 feet tall (why, oh why, didn't I wear my platform shoes?!).

I know this is long, but I thought it might be kind of cool to share for those who haven't had a chance to catch the boys on tour, or have never been able to catch them. A Rush show is a remarkable experience, and heartily recommended!

And for anyone that was at this show, and want to share your own experience, please do! :) I'd love to hear your stories!

• Like 4

Were you by chance around seat 44ish? I counted the seats down to get about that number. If you're talking about row 14... I think we mentioned this a while back, with possibly switching seats so I could be closer to Geddy? (If this doesn't ring a bell, that's kind of embarrassing for me....;)) Anyway, I noticed a guy sitting kind of alone around there, before other people showed up. If that was you, then I was the girl just left to the middle, also there quite early, wearing a pink and white summer dress. (Wish I could have done the yellow one....). And thus, though it's a little late now: hi!

Oh, and the Edmonton photo in the tour book: the 2-page photo that shows all three guys on stage, with Geddy wearing brown pants and a greyish buttoned shirt (buttoned all the way, curses!). A good photo! :)

Hey Mika, thanks for your review it was very enjoyable to read. Made me think of my own Rush experience, although I didn't have obnoxious people around me spilling beer, and smoking weed - not that I too have anything against it (but my stomach turns by the smell also). A guy did make some air drum fills that were the same no matter what Neil played. That was quite amusing.

About Alex being mad: I don't think this tour has been the most successful for him tech-wise. Seemed like he had a lot of trouble on the first leg of their tour, and I wonder if Scott is going to be he tech next tour? Neil shouldn't worry so much about playing perfect. I read somewhere that he's more afraid of not putting on a good show, than actually dying on stage! :o

• Like 2

Were you by chance around seat 44ish? I counted the seats down to get about that number. If you're talking about row 14... I think we mentioned this a while back, with possibly switching seats so I could be closer to Geddy? (If this doesn't ring a bell, that's kind of embarrassing for me.... ;)) Anyway, I noticed a guy sitting kind of alone around there, before other people showed up. If that was you, then I was the girl just left to the middle, also there quite early, wearing a pink and white summer dress. (Wish I could have done the yellow one....). And thus, though it's a little late now: hi!

Oh, and the Edmonton photo in the tour book: the 2-page photo that shows all three guys on stage, with Geddy wearing brown pants and a greyish buttoned shirt (buttoned all the way, curses!). A good photo! :)

Yes that was me directly down from you and I do remember you mentioning switching seats. I was having to much fun with the people around me to move.

That picture of the boys in Edmonton is one of the nicest in the books.

I loved the way Geddy interacted with the crowd all night. "That's a good song to sing to your children before they go to bed. And this next song is also about destruction. It's called the wreckers." after Carnies :laughing guy: It felt weird every time Geddy thanked the crowd and it felt like we should of been thanking them instead.

Edited by billybobjoe1881
  • Like 1

Hey Mika, thanks for your review it was very enjoyable to read. Made me think of my own Rush experience, although I didn't have obnoxious people around me spilling beer, and smoking weed - not that I too have anything against it (but my stomach turns by the smell also). A guy did make some air drum fills that were the same no matter what Neil played. That was quite amusing.

About Alex being mad: I don't think this tour has been the most successful for him tech-wise. Seemed like he had a lot of trouble on the first leg of their tour, and I wonder if Scott is going to be he tech next tour? Neil shouldn't worry so much about playing perfect. I read somewhere that he's more afraid of not putting on a good show, than actually dying on stage! :o

Poor Neil - he's such a consummate perfectionist! Well, when he has such a high level of playing, and people expect perfection from him... it's a long way to fall when is at the top! Not that he fell at all - that's just an analogy.

Yeah, it does seem that Alex has been having some tech glitches. Must be very frustrating, and take away from the mood of the show for him - how can he be relaxed, smiley, and perform crazy Alex antics when he's miffed about his tech stuff glitching? :(

And wanted to add: Geddy's bass sounded pretty thunderous. I felt it when he'd start playing - when he came in on a song, it was just so there. :) I remember thinking, "I want that sound for my bass! I want to blow everyone away with its power!"

• Like 1

Were you by chance around seat 44ish? I counted the seats down to get about that number. If you're talking about row 14... I think we mentioned this a while back, with possibly switching seats so I could be closer to Geddy? (If this doesn't ring a bell, that's kind of embarrassing for me.... ;)) Anyway, I noticed a guy sitting kind of alone around there, before other people showed up. If that was you, then I was the girl just left to the middle, also there quite early, wearing a pink and white summer dress. (Wish I could have done the yellow one....). And thus, though it's a little late now: hi!

Yes that was me directly down from you and I do remember you mentioning switching seats. I was having to much fun with the people around me to move.

That picture of the boys in Edmonton is one of the nicest in the books.

I loved the way Geddy interacted with the crowd all night. "That's a good song to sing to your children before they go to bed. And this next song is also about destruction. It's called the wreckers." after Carnies :laughing guy: It felt weird every time Geddy thanked the crowd and it felt like we should of been thanking them instead.

I probably would have jumped at the chance to move - though the way bodies were shifting, I probably could have just meandered down and stuck myself somewhere else. Somewhere where there were people that wouldn't spill stuff on me and my stuff and elbow me in the head! (The guy beside me did say sorry, and spent a bit too much time patting my head in apology)

I didn't hear Geddy say that - I didn't catch quite a bit of his banter. That's cute! I like when Geddy is loose with the crowd. :)

Mika, thanks a zillion for this, and I apologize for the rude American. He was probably from my neck of the woods :cool: . Why would anyone harass someone at a concert? Who would even notice what anyone else was doing (unless, of course, they spilled beer or lit up obnoxious smelling joints or, worse yet, vomited on your shoes, or seat, or something .... :rage: :LOL: )?

That's funny about the man that elbowed you in the head patting it while he said he was sorry.

• Like 1

First post, yay!

I was at the Vancouver show too. We must have been dangerously close to each other, I was with my boyfriend in seat 30, row 16. I noticed that guy you were talking about, the one who looked a bit like a new age science teacher, he was really annoying everyone around him.

Beyond that, the show was incredible! This was my only show this tour (and just my third ever, after Snakes and Time Machine tours), but it was easily my favorite. I was a tiny bit bummed that we didn't get Setlist A, as I would have preferred each of the four variants on that one (Bravado especially I had been wanting to hear), but I can't complain too much. Hearing The Pass live is awesome.

Everything about the show exceeded my expectations. The strings sounded amazing, and the ensemble themselves had a great energy, which was cool to see. The boys played as well as I had ever heard them, and I actually preferred the "sound" of Neil's drum kit most this time out of my experiences. Although going back through live albums, I still think his drum kit sounded best on the R30 tour.

I agree, there were a couple times Alex looked a bit miffed, he was visibly frustrated during at least one song. But it passed, and ended his usual happy self.

Neil's solos were all incredible. I especially loved the third one, I thought it was a cooler take on the electronic solo during the S&A tour. Dropping a stick for four seconds didn't keep it from being one of my favorite moments of the show.

• Like 1

First post, yay!

I was at the Vancouver show too. We must have been dangerously close to each other, I was with my boyfriend in seat 30, row 16. I noticed that guy you were talking about, the one who looked a bit like a new age science teacher, he was really annoying everyone around him.

Beyond that, the show was incredible! This was my only show this tour (and just my third ever, after Snakes and Time Machine tours), but it was easily my favorite. I was a tiny bit bummed that we didn't get Setlist A, as I would have preferred each of the four variants on that one (Bravado especially I had been wanting to hear), but I can't complain too much. Hearing The Pass live is awesome.

Everything about the show exceeded my expectations. The strings sounded amazing, and the ensemble themselves had a great energy, which was cool to see. The boys played as well as I had ever heard them, and I actually preferred the "sound" of Neil's drum kit most this time out of my experiences. Although going back through live albums, I still think his drum kit sounded best on the R30 tour.

I agree, there were a couple times Alex looked a bit miffed, he was visibly frustrated during at least one song. But it passed, and ended his usual happy self.

Neil's solos were all incredible. I especially loved the third one, I thought it was a cooler take on the electronic solo during the S&A tour. Dropping a stick for four seconds didn't keep it from being one of my favorite moments of the show.

'New age science teacher'! :D You're right, though - that's a great description! I'm glad I'm not the only one that found him a bit too much, that it wasn't just me being tight-laced or something!

I would have preferred the 'A' setlist, too, but I'm certainly not going to complain, but I will whine a bit because it was the exact same setlist as in Edmonton, and given that the boys are acually changing songs up a bit this tour around (unlike the Time Machine tour), it would have been nice to experience other songs, too! But I, too, always like 'The Pass', and like that it's often been introduced as one of the boys' faves.

Glad you had a good time at the show; it was amazing, wasn't it? Can't wait for the next one! ;)

First post for me in a long long time!

I was at the show last night as well. Here are a few random thoughts, many of which are echoed above -

1. Alex tech gliches. He seemed to disappear for some songs entirely especially when competing with the string section. I could barely hear the guitar in Tom Sawyer among other songs. Other songs he was fine! I didn't notice him miffed and saw him hamming it up a few times for the audience.

2. Neil's t-shirt cannon can shoot shirts a long damn ways!

3. Set list - oh man that was good. Force Ten, Grand Designs, Territories, Big Money, Body Electric. oh man oh man oh man

4. The new arrangement of Where's My Thing? Sweet!!!!

5. The light show and pyrotechnics.

6. Geddy's sweet red bass guitar. Man that was beautiful.

7. The string section. I liked it! They seemed to really enjoy themselves especially the male celloist. He was rocking out!

8. Wrapping up with the Grand Finale. Fade out - lights out - WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL....

I say this every tour since Power Windows but this one was my favorite. Damn boys job well done.

As for Alex being miffed, I believe in the 2nd set at the beginning, right away he was fiddling with his right in-ear monitor as if it was either poorly fastened or was just too low in the mix for him. He fiddled with it a couple times, motioned to the tech to turn it up, but I don't think he got too too pissed off. I was right in front of him. (See the banner photo)

http://photos.rush.com/Rush2013/Vancouver/30760841_cgKzB4#!i=2659578958&k=cdgqBTs

I could swear Neil's tshirt gun completely misfired the two shirts and they just put them away...?

Am I wrong?

I could swear Neil's tshirt gun completely misfired the two shirts and they just put them away...?

Am I wrong?

I had a hard time seeing, but I could have sworn that one shot failed or something.