Rush - Changing Directions

losingit2k

Changing Directions!  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What direction musically should Rush take on their next album?

• Same Style but Record with an Entire Orchestra
    • Return to having Keyboards as a major roll
    • Return to recording Epics (9+ minutes Songs)
    • Completely Progressive album
    • Another concept album like 2112
    • Return to the Signature Sounds of PeW & MP
    • An Instrumental Compilation Album with 4 new Instrumentals
    • Complete new direction not invisioned like Latin influenced
    • Complete Metal Album as a 3 piece, (No Keys,Strings or Pedals)
    • More Bluesy Album like their first album.. RUSH

Rush is know for not resting on their laurels and changing direction after successful albums, (2112, Hemispheres, Moving Pictures, Hold Your Fire, Clockwork Angels) Which direction do you think RUSH will lead themselves and us next? I think they'll play it safe and record like 4 new instrumentals and release a Compilation CD of all their instrumentals. Edited by losingit2k

Arghhhhh, this is such an agonizing decision to make. Any direction is pretty much a good direction, except "Return to having Keyboards as a major roll." I like my guitars, bass, and drums to be loud as the dominating fronts and though, I don't mind keyboards from time to time, just not as a dominating role.

So I opted for the return to the 9 min.+ epics. Though maybe just a three instrument only album would be the 2nd option for me.

Edited by Anguyen92
  • Like 2

To me, HYF does not fit in the category of a successful album. But I do love me some Clockwork Angels (can't get enough). In my mind, with the exception of 2112 for the albums you listed, each one was worse than the previous. The band does seem to be on a creative high and I have high expectations for what could be a future album. But I am not an optometrist (like Ricky from the TPB) and am expecting a letdown.
  • Like 1

To me I want keys to return, and no I don't think it will ever get back to the sound of power windows, I would love to see it as more prominent again. Of course there were hints all over CA of keys sneaking their way into the background, so I am hoping they will show up again in full on one track next go around.
  • Like 1

I think I mentioned once before I think they will do a compilation release maybe of instrumentals only.

I really love the sound of CA if they continue along that vein for new stuff I would be happy.

• Like 2

I have to say that I do miss the epics, and I think Neil would be thrilled if the other two would be willing to do it.
  • Like 1

God I'd love to hear a full on metal album from Rush

Didn't we get that with VT? I think that's as close to metal as Rush will ever get. Rush have been in the heavy mode for quite some time now. I don't mind heavy but please make it a clean production. That should be top priority. Bring back the keys for atmosphere and less layers of guitar and distortion. Keep the guitar solos and stay in the prog/kick a** mode. The only weakness I see on CA are the choruses. Make the choruses a little more accessible/ flowing and it will be a masterpiece. CA was pretty darn close.

• Like 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again, about time the keyboards were brought back in a major way I think. It would hardly be a regression to the 80s styalistically because music technology has come on so much since then - just imagine what they would be able to achieve now!
  • Like 1

I honestly have no idea if there will be another Rush album.... I think CA would be pretty tough to top, and in the long run (or fullness of time, if you will), it would be a pretty fantastic album to be 'the last one', with 'The Garden' as kind of an ultimate swan song.

The boys need some rest, though they're in a bit of a tough spot: they could keep going on the roll that they're on, starting with 'Beyond the Lighted Stage' and continuing with the RRHoF and the successful tour that just ended, or they can take some time out and risk not making the most of their limelight right now. I'm afraid that with time off, and with being on such a night note right now, this might be the end. Unoficially, of course, but I think Rush would want to end on top, and this is about as on top as I think they're going to be!

So, I would be thrilled with any music they end up making down the road. I hope they don't try to top CA to the degree that they fall short of their own high expectations, though.

Anyway, I'm making myself sad, thinking about a future with no new Rush songs, so I'll be quiet now. And maybe for most likely thing they will do in the future, musically, is release another compilation - not an instrumental one, I think - with a couple of new songs on it, which might be more in the power trio kind of vein. Lots of guitar, bass, and drums.

• Like 3

Didn't we get that with VT? I think that's as close to metal as Rush will ever get. Rush have been in the heavy mode for quite some time now. I don't mind heavy but please make it a clean production. That should be top priority. Bring back the keys for atmosphere and less layers of guitar and distortion. Keep the guitar solos and stay in the prog/kick a** mode. The only weakness I see on CA are the choruses. Make the choruses a little more accessible/ flowing and it will be a masterpiece. CA was pretty darn close.

VT/S&A/CA are not metal. hard for Rush, but not a full metal album.

There's a part of me that just wants them to stick with what worked on CA, S&A, and VT. Those albums contain some amazing songs, simple enough to enjoy, complex enough to require an undistracted listen. Part of me wonders if they have anything left in the tank. Without googling, I want to say they've been writing songs for almost 40 years, and not all of it has been inspired. My unadulterated fanboy dream is for them to keep pumping out amazing songs, touring like men half their age, Geddy singing with cackling glee until even a deaf person could realize his voice was blown. I doubt that's going to happen. I read an interview that indicated 70 was their breaking point, but part of the mad awesome of being your own boss is that as long as the ledgers are balanced, the rest is fluid.

Rambling aside, I hope they keep putting out music akin to the stuff they've done since reforming. I like my Rush a little more prog metal. Some of their best songs have been synth heavy, but I think the band works much better with the synths providing backup to the guitar/bass. The use of synth on CA is my example on how Rush should use synths from here on out. That said, I wouldn't be suprised if the next Rush album was heavily influenced by some EDM they picked up on tour with Neil busting out the electronic drumset and Alex autotuning his voice so he can finally sing decent backup.

• Like 1

Didn't we get that with VT? I think that's as close to metal as Rush will ever get. Rush have been in the heavy mode for quite some time now. I don't mind heavy but please make it a clean production. That should be top priority. Bring back the keys for atmosphere and less layers of guitar and distortion. Keep the guitar solos and stay in the prog/kick a** mode. The only weakness I see on CA are the choruses. Make the choruses a little more accessible/ flowing and it will be a masterpiece. CA was pretty darn close. VT/S&A/CA are not metal. hard for Rush, but not a full metal album.

not sure how i managed to do it but "VT/S&A/CA are not metal. hard for Rush, but not a full metal album." was my response. got mixed into the quote section...

Per Wav - Mov Pictures -- Bring back the great sounding Tama or Ludwig drums and Taurus Pedals. Lose all the sampling BS. Don't create it if you can't play it!

I agree this is the way they should go for their next endeavor. Give us that heavy prog-metal sound we all love! :codger: