Neil dropped a drumstick

Cygnus 2112

More Power Windows please

Agreed, we need the album, or at least play emotion detector so we can hear all of it over all of our experiences

He dropped one at Hershey this tour I saw Geddy stroll over and scoop it up and toss it into the crowd.

I saw this too. I'd not ever seen one end up there on the stage. I didn't see Neil drop it , I thought it might have been a broken one. I'm just glad that Ged saw it, would have been awful for him or Al to have stepped on it and fallen. :(

Watched this happen from the 2nd row. He simply lost the handle, almost grabbed it twice, then finally caught it awkwardly up by his elbow. The most impressive part about it was that his left hand and feet mostly never lost it and kept pounding away, while he totally recovered the stick and just kept on going like it didn't happen. It was actually an incredible save from what looked like certain disaster! Very rare to ever see this, and he didn't crash! Fantastic.

That was pretty impressive actually...good to see what everyone was talking about. To me it shows some quick reflexes...i cant say i've ever recovered a fumble like that...his independence in his arms is great and that takes skill to build up. Here i thought it bounced away...mistakes happen

That was a pretty graceful reaction and recovery. I can't even begin to imagine the lack of feeling he has in his hands due to callouses...and then the pain he has when those callouses break open. I have nerve damage in my right index finger and even that makes me fumble with the littlest things.

The sad part is he's the type of guy that will recover gracefully then dwell on it for a while after the show (per his books, he's very critical of himself). Though, I can relate. I embarrass very easily and just want to crawl into a hole when something embarrassing happens.

• Like 1

cool that there is video....

what's interesting is that when it happened it seemed so much worse than what it looks like in the video....maybe just the surprise of the mistake itself....although in the neil world it was pretty monumental....i'd never seen something like that before....

Well, according to reliable Internet sources, he's had cancer for nigh on 30 years so what do you expect?

Hope the audience didn't riot and storm the stage....

One more song from Power Windows and it would've been a real possibility.

Yes, if they played one more PW song they would no doubt have been upset that they did not just give them the full album. It is after all one of their finest works.

Don't get me wrong, I love the album and the songs sounded great at the show. I just don't think the crowd in general was really digging the mid-80's-heavy setlist. I was kind of surprised they didn't mix in any of the older crowd-pleasers until the very end of the set.

That's what the to-do is over? It took me twenty minutes to load this video and, when I went to watch it a second time, I lost the whole thing.

Anyway, who would have even noticed what happened if he didn't catch the stick in his arm fold?

An amazing man Neil is. When you get to be his age, you will appreciate what it takes for him to do what he does. He has my utmost admiration and respect.

That's what the to-do is over? It took me twenty minutes to load this video and, when I went to watch it a second time, I lost the whole thing.

Anyway, who would have even noticed what happened if he didn't catch the stick in his arm fold?

An amazing man Neil is. When you get to be his age, you will appreciate what it takes for him to do what he does. He has my utmost admiration and respect.

look, hard to argue how incredible neil is at drumming....most consider him the foremost rock drummer on planet earth....that's saying something...

but, part of neil, is his drive to be perfect....to put on a perfect performance each and every time...

no one is perfect....everyone is human and makes mistakes....just in neil's world, they are very rare and very small mistakes...

this, if you really watch it....is a big mistake, for neil, do you know what i mean? because he is so great, because he has been the world's greatest rock drummer for decades, it makes this rare mistake an eye opener....

i don't think rush fans care that neil messed up....it happens, he fumbled a stick....no big deal...

quarterbacks throw interceptions, goalies allow goals....pitchers give up home runs.....once in a while neil fumbles a drum stick....

i think its his greatness that makes it more of a "whoops" moment..when you are at the show, its a moment where you are like, "wow, did you see that?"

Are you saying that he can't walk on water?

the last few times neil had me over to the house, he made several attempts walking across his backyard pool, but each time after several careful steps, he sunk into the water....

i told him his pathetic water walking attempts were worse than any drumstick fumble...

he agreed....

• Like 1

Are you saying that he can't walk on water?

the last few times neil had me over to the house, he made several attempts walking across his backyard pool, but each time after several careful steps, he sunk into the water....

i told him his pathetic water walking attempts were worse than any drumstick fumble...

he agreed....

I'm too traumatized by this revelation to comment at the moment.

• Like 1

So he didn't really drop it, he just fumbled it. I agree, nice recovery. :) You know, just the fact that we can talk about this....out of how many performances this is the big topic? Goes to show you how good a drummer he is.
  • Like 1

So he didn't really drop it, he just fumbled it. I agree, nice recovery. :) You know, just the fact that we can talk about this....out of how many performances this is the big topic? Goes to show you how good a drummer he is.

Absolutely! Anyone who plays so hard for so long will have ridiculously sweaty and sensitive hands. It's actually impressive and surprising he doesn't drop them more.

What's noteworthy is his recovery and professionalism--''grace under pressure".

Edited by upstateNYfan
  • Like 1