Neil dropped a drumstick

Cygnus 2112

i was there...

in the world of neil, this was epic....

i felt bad for him....

worst gaffe i have ever seen him make in my 151 shows......ever....

it was even more bizarre when he left his kit, walked over to geddy's mic and said, "f**k this," and left the stage....

• Like 5

i was there...

i felt bad for him....

it was even more bizarre when he left his kit, walked over to geddy's mic and said, "f**k this," and left the stage....

Are you joking or did he really do that?

i was there...

i felt bad for him....

Are you joking or did he really do that?

okay, i forgot to put the "lol."

but i think he felt like doing that...

by the end of the show, he was all smiles waving to the crowd....

i am sure he was upset with the degree of how bad the mess up was, but he carried on just fine.....

• Like 4

Really? In the 70s and 80s he used to drop them all the time, but he also did a lot more tossing and spinning than he does now. In fact the only thing more impressive than his throws and catches was how smoothly he covered up when he missed. Edited by andreww
  • Like 1

He dropped one in Nashville this year...during the CA set. If i recall correctly it was just a high throw that hit a cymbal and stayed between the riser and Alex's rig for the majority of the show until he picked it up and almost threw it to me (he wanted the 5 year old next to me to have it)...Neil looked like he knew that one was a goner right after he let go

just to clarify what happened last night in vancouver...

this was NOT one of those moments when Neil throws a stick high in the air and then he either drops the catch or in some instances i have seen him throw the stick up high and he threw it clear behind his kit and had no chance of catching it...

last night was during his electronic drum solo, his third solo of the night....he was simply doing his routine and fumbled a stick....

what was shocking was the amount of time it took for him to get another one and continue.....

it was just one of those "holy smokes" moments....

We'll have to wait until Mika collects her wits and tells us what she saw last night - that is if she wasn't too busy trying to capture you-know-who's attention (by playing her silent bass) to witness Neil's gaffe. :LOL:

Isn't that so, Mika? ;)

• Like 1

Yes NHLRush is right. Neil didn't toss his stick up and fail to catch it, he was doing a drum solo and just playing around when he fumbled and lost the stick. He spent about 4-5 seconds trying to find it and it seemed like an eternity.

Neil's not human!! NOOO!!!! Lol

My brother drove to this show from Edmonton and says it was better than Red Deer but I'm telling myself he's still on his post-show excitement high.. Tell me I'm right!

He says he pulled into a coffee shop and saw Neil filling his bike but he was wearing a Rush shirt so he didn't approach him. I said " good move, did he give you the finger?" Haha (bad joke I know lol)

Yes NHLRush is right. Neil didn't toss his stick up and fail to catch it, he was doing a drum solo and just playing around when he fumbled and lost the stick. He spent about 4-5 seconds trying to find it and it seemed like an eternity.

it did feel like an eternity.....didn't it?

I can understand how this kind of fumbling happens...as a drummer i've found myself losing a stick by either catching the underside of a cymbal mid-flail or just getting caught on the edge of a hoop...especially with Neil's set up on the back kit...lots of space to get a stick caught up in.

I watched this on the video screen, as it just happened to play out the whole thing, and could see by Neil's expression how frustrated and "oh noes!" he must have been. He fumbled with the stick during his third solo, as mentioned - the ode to Neil Armstrong one. I could see him frantically trying to catch the stick, and instantly felt bad for him. Not because he made an error in his pretty darn perfect playing, but because I think he would think it's a bigger deal than it actually is. Quite honestly, I'm kind of glad this happened - it proves he's not a robot! (And I'm scared of robots, BTW) Anyway, it took a few seconds and then he jumped right back in, perfectly on measure again, and that was that.

It's kind of a good thing this happened at this time, rather than during any other song, because of the running track that was also making music, if that makes sense - the beep-boops that sound like aural blinking lights. It was easier to recover than if it had been during a song that had only his drumbeat as the beat.

Ah, I'm tired - just got back from Vancouver, with very little sleep, and I'm not making much sense, I think. I'll just finish by saying that I hope Neil didn't self-flagellatet too much, because it wasn't a big deal, and was a bit charming, in its way. I think he might be prone to being bummed about a performance that's less than 100% perfect, but, as we all know, no one is perfect. Even drum gods. And bass gods (more on that later, Lorraine!), and guitar gods!

• Like 3

Hope the audience didn't riot and storm the stage....

One more song from Power Windows and it would've been a real possibility.

Yes, if they played one more PW song they would no doubt have been upset that they did not just give them the full album. It is after all one of their finest works.