What if...the end arrives sooner than later

Motorshooter

It’s August 4th, 2013. You just enjoyed three hours of rush and your ears are ringing from the encore. Geddy steps up to the mike…….

“Thank you all for coming out tonight, it’s been our pleasure playing our favorite songs for you through the years, but all good things must come to an end. This is our last show.”

Then I will have just justified blowing a ton of cash on front row center tickets to see them this tour...I have been telling myself for years I need to do it before it is too late, so I am glad I did.

I don't picture Rush retiring and then coming out of retirement multiple times like so many other acts have done. I think once they are done, they will be done.

I do think they have 2 more tours in them though...we can only hope...

• Like 2

Two more full blown tours is realistic as we finish out the decade.....maybe three, but if i was a betting man, i would say two more tours.....

you always have to leave the possiblity open that a year from now one of them just doesn't either want to do it anymore or physically just can't go through it all anymore.....but i think after a nice break, we will see some kind of R41 or R42 tour followed by their final studio album and a tour for that album.....

who knows......but its just what i think is most likely to happen as we sit here with six actual rush shows scheduled....

I am doing the last five just in case this is it....

you always have to leave the possiblity open that a year from now one of them just doesn't either want to do it anymore or physically just can't go through it all anymore

agreed, there's always the wild card... but I did talk with the production manager just last week, and he says they're planning to move forward :)

As long as they can end on THEIR terms, it is what it is (and whatever). I would be very heartbroken if it were something out of their hands that forced them to stop.

Yes - that would be awful if one of the got sick, etc, and they couldn't go on. I would like to see them have a farewell tour type of deal and go out on top. I don't really know if that is their style, though, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out in the end.

I have a hard time imagining them doing a big "This is it" tour. Somehow it doesn't fit Geddy's laid back attitude. However, Rush is also a big machinery so who knows? Also, they are creative beings and you just can't switch that off. Some things in Rush may change, but I don't think they'll sit at home getting older. People with drive tend to burn the candle all the way down.

When they stop we will have an extensive back-catalog of the most awesome music, unrivalled by any other band. We will look back on all those great moments shared with the guys, friendships made and feel blessed that Rush has been there for 4 decades :-)

Edited by The Analog Grownup
  • Like 1

If you've been on RIAB this morning, there's an update to an interview with Howard Ungerleider where he said "... Are they talking about touring again? Yes. They're talking about possibly touring in two years. But there will be nothing again for two years, we know that. ..."

EDIT: I see now there's a thread for this too. Doh!

Unless one of the guys gets sick or has a bad accident of some sort, we'll get at least one more tour. Not a huge surprise as Ged has been saying all along that he wanted 2 years off.

Edited by driventotheedge

If you've been on RIAB this morning, there's an update to an interview with Howard Ungerleider where he said "... Are they talking about touring again? Yes. They're talking about possibly touring in two years. But there will be nothing again for two years, we know that. ..."

Unless one of the guys gets sick or has a bad accident of some sort, we'll get at least one more tour. Not a huge surprise as Ged has been saying all along that he wanted 2 years off.

What's RIAB?

What's RIAB?

http://www.rushisaband.com/

It’s August 4th, 2013. You just enjoyed three hours of rush and your ears are ringing from the encore. Geddy steps up to the mike…….

“Thank you all for coming out tonight, it’s been our pleasure playing our favorite songs for you through the years, but all good things must come to an end. This is our last show.”

Reading this actually just gave me a cold shiver of dread. As if some icy hand from the beyond touched my chest. It was not pleasant.

Yes, there will certainly be a day when Rush no longer tours. I don't think, thought, that it will be announced as such, and especially as a "oh, by the way, this is the show. Bye" kind of thing. I think Rush will kind of not announce an actual retirement, but will kind of keep the flames of hope alive. But they will end, whether announced or not, on the top of their game. They will not start to go downhill in their playing and then call it quits. And they will certainly not announce a retirement only to come back a few times, a la Cher or whatever. I don't think they would manipulate their fans like that.

• Like 1

Then I thank them for the amazing music, the chance to see them (even if it were only once, it's better than none), and would continue to blast their tunes on a daily basis ;)

IMO, time is taking it's toll. I've seen a marked difference in everyone (except Geddy & Alex) over the last 6 or 7 years on the road. The crew's offstage energy seems to be waning a bit. Onstage, being the consummate perfectionist that he is, as soon as Neil feels that he can't perform at the level he requires of himself, it's gonna be all over. Interestingly, he seems to have mellowed lately. Time was when he'd just glare in passing backstage, but within the last year or so, I've actually gotten a smile & nod out of him on several occasions. That in itself, starts the gears turning in ones brain trying to figure out if it's because he's finally enjoying touring (not likely) OR if it's because he knows that he won't have to do it for very much longer. Ponder that...

Truthfully, at this point, no one really knows when/where the finish line is. Personally, I'd suggest seeing as many shows as you can on the next tour.

I'm going to the last show on this tour and I did have a "just in case" feeling when I decided to make the trip to Kansas City. It a long boring drive, but I don't like to fly unless I have to. This will be my seventh show in four straight years and I'm starting to think I could use a break myself to get my excitement back. Don't get me wrong, I love the show each time I see it and I have been blessed to be able to see some real MAGIC moments over the years, but I'm in danger of taking Rush for granted. It will end one day, but I have a good memory and bootlegs of nearly every show I have been to and a huge collection of vinyl and CDs. Hearing and seeing Rush over the years will be one of the highlights of my life.

What if the end arrives later than sooner? Just my positive developmental possibility.

...to be continued.

If they're forcing the new material on us, still, I'll say AMF

The point of the journey is not to arrive - anything can happen.

:D

Nice! I think that is a prime approach :)

We should also be optimistic. Geddy turns 60 in a week but doesn't look a day over 50. The guys have tons of energy and are taking care of themselves. Neil has discovered a new found optimism as well. The past few years has brought them into a spotlight but only because of their hard work. And the guys seem to be eating it up.

• Like 1