How do you explain your love of Rush to non fans?

xmac

To women I say that plus tell them that they're great guys and have been married to the same women since right out of high school (save for Neil which I explain completely of course).

Now they'll never like Rush. :facepalm:

For example, I have a friend who is a sci fi fanatic and absolutely loves most things like Star Trek, Star Wars, Comics, etc. and he absolutely hates Rush. I told him that 2112 and the concept would be right up his alley but...nothing.

I know this same situation exactly with a sci-fi fan. Not saying he hates Rush exactly but is still indifferent to them after sharing with him the genius of ESL on TV years ago. All he could do was pick on Geddy and Lord knows what else...I think he just had fun watching me rant actually :rage:

Well, someone always brings up the question of "what are you listening to?" and I reply that "it's [insert song name here] by Rush".

They always ask "why do you listen to such terrible old music"

This is my reply, "Older, perhaps. Music, yes. Terrible? What have you been taking for your insanity? You listen to rap, I listen to ROLL THE BONES. You listen to dubstep, I only hear the soothing tones from Presto, Counterparts and other albums that these geniuses have been making for the last 40 years!"

Then they say something like "But, you live in the now. Listen to something from the now!"

That's when I say "If I want to do that, I'll still listen to Rush! They put out an album last year."

They get really freaking annoyed at this point. Luckily, the teachers all remember Rush and put the blame onto the future freakazoid

I've heard some young people express this attitude of you should listen to the music of today because it's today. And they listen to rap or other REALLY shitty music. If the music of today was better than classic rock, I'd be all over that, but what on earth could they be listening to that holds a candle to so much music from the past 50 years. So the options are to listen to great music that makes you happy or crappy music because it's current? Awesome.

• Like 2