How do you explain your love of Rush to non fans?

xmac

You either get them or you don't - and if you don't, that's fine too - more for me.
  • Like 3

I subject my wife to Rush for a solid year (daily in the car) before my first show on the Clockwork Angels tour in Toronto. Over the course of that year she learned about the different albums and some of the 'key' songs. I attended that concert by myself but said I would take her to another show if I had the chance. I bought two VIP tickets for the Hamilton show and flew both of us up for a couples/weekend get away. We both had front row centre with our VIP tickets and the she was absolutely BLOWN away by the concert. She talked about it for days after it was over and was crazy jealous that I got to see them a week later in Halifax (attended that one Solo as well). She talked about how great the Clockwork Angels songs were and she watched Alex shred for most of the night. She also laughed at Geddy's constant duck face bass moves ha!

While she doesn't have the deep appreciation for the albums and songs that I do, she is that much closer to understanding the band and what they mean to me. Taking her to the show was one of the coolest things we've done together in a while - so all in all a great experience for a 'non-fan' to see the guys in the limelight. Now when I am air drumming like a maniac on the steering wheel she knows, and thinks back to that night we saw the greatest band in the world.

• Like 3

I don't talk to non Rush fans!

This. If I mention RUSH to someone and they say they don't like them, that person is dead to me. Period.

I'll even go so far as to physically kill them myself if I have to..

:bang bang: :baabaa:

I got lucky that my husband became a Rush fan almost as much as me.

Rush is the soundtrack of my life since 10 years old.

Sadly I suck at making music I have no idea about the technical stuff Rush does. I just know that I cannot get enough of them.

• Like 1

I usually run into a roadblock when it comes to Geddy's voice. Whatever. I'd rather not try convincing anyone.All I know is that their music speaks to me and many other people. Plus, if everyone in the world liked Rush, we wouldn't be as cool, right? :moon:
  • Like 1

Simple. If someone questions why I like Rush so much, I slice their arms off with my katana then bow respectfully. :blaze:

Appropriate and completely within reason. We're talking about :rush: after all.

I've never had to defend my love of Rush...because, unfortunately, I rarely meet anyone who's even heard of them :(

Even meeting someone who doesn't like Rush is a novelty, because then at least they've heard of them.

:sigh: I must live in the wrong area

• Like 1

My question would be, how do you explain your love of Rush to TRF members? Thanks to a handful of sourpusses, this Rush subforum sometimes seems more like a Rush Sucks subforum.
  • Like 1

My question would be, how do you explain your love of Rush to TRF members? Thanks to a handful of sourpusses, this Rush subforum sometimes seems more like a Rush Sucks subforum.

I simply use my ignore button. :)

• Like 3

I simply use my ignore button. :)

Yes, good answer, however I'm use to lurkstering before signing on. I suppose being signed in all the time with button engaged would be the best way of ignoring the wanton haters. :)

I tell them "They make me happy and give me hope, and just because Geddy doesn't sing the way he used to doesn't mean he's not still a great singer!" ;) :D

• Like 2

I have several friends that are musicians. A lot of them appreciate the talent, but you either get the band or you don't. My friend Mike "Dr. Boom Boom" Dunbar is a great bass player that plays anywhere and everywhere he can (lots of pick-up playing and jamming in this town) and even though he mostly plays Bluegrass, Country and Gospel he absolutely loves Geddy's playing and worships Jaco Pastorius. I think a lot of people can be converted by seeing Beyond The Lighted Stage or going to a show, but I really don't worry about it.

I actually thought about this thread yesterday while I was at my local watering hole.. I was kinda gushing to this dude I know about my Rush show in Red Deer today and he says "I Hate Rush!"

I jokingly said "Ok we're through talking here.." lol

• Like 1

Well, someone always brings up the question of "what are you listening to?" and I reply that "it's [insert song name here] by Rush".

They always ask "why do you listen to such terrible old music"

This is my reply, "Older, perhaps. Music, yes. Terrible? What have you been taking for your insanity? You listen to rap, I listen to ROLL THE BONES. You listen to dubstep, I only hear the soothing tones from Presto, Counterparts and other albums that these geniuses have been making for the last 40 years!"

Then they say something like "But, you live in the now. Listen to something from the now!"

That's when I say "If I want to do that, I'll still listen to Rush! They put out an album last year."

They get really freaking annoyed at this point. Luckily, the teachers all remember Rush and put the blame onto the future freakazoid

Honestly I've met so many people who don't like/hate Rush compared to those who like/love Rush, that I just listen to them give their opinion and say, "Okay." And leave it at that. I'm not going to share something personal like my love for Rush if they're just going to poop on it. :eyeroll:

I usually just say, "Rush is my favorite band" or "I worship the band Rush" and leave it at that.

To men I always say "well, they're a musician's band". To women I say that plus tell them that they're great guys and have been married to the same women since right out of high school (save for Neil which I explain completely of course).

They either get it or they don't. :cool:

There are bands that I absolutely love and adore- Rush, The Who, King Crimson, Husker Du, Pixies.

Period. No debate, no discussion. They are my top 5 and that is it. No one will ever change my mind.

So hubby wants to see Pearl Jam so I have been listening to them a lot lately. I finally had to put on some Rush after a week of Pearl Jam and it was like Ahhhh...

nothing wrong with Pearl Jam but you can't really get further than Geddy's voice than Eddie Vedder lol. One soothes my soul the other makes me want to tear my hair out.

• Like 1

So hubby wants to see Pearl Jam so I have been listening to them a lot lately. I finally had to put on some Rush after a week of Pearl Jam and it was like Ahhhh...

nothing wrong with Pearl Jam but you can't really get further than Geddy's voice than Eddie Vedder lol. One soothes my soul the other makes me want to tear my hair out.

Last Pearl Jam album I probably listened to was Ten. Saw them in concert in early 1992 and it was great but I lost touch with their music after the mid 90s.

I'm just like you, hcm. I cannot go without listening to Rush. Not even a day!