How do you explain your love of Rush to non fans?

xmac

We all must have experienced this once or twice in the past....a musical conversation comes up with a friend/coworker/acquaintance and you want to share with them how or why you think Rush is so great....but the other person is kinda just doesn't get it? It's like..no matter how hard you try to convey what Rush and their songs mean to you, you just can't get it across or get the other person to feel it on that same level?

For example, I have a friend who is a sci fi fanatic and absolutely loves most things like Star Trek, Star Wars, Comics, etc. and he absolutely hates Rush. I told him that 2112 and the concept would be right up his alley but...nothing.

• Like 1

I have this problem with my Fiance's family. They make fun of us relentlessly. They just don't understand that a band could be this good. They don't get that it's possible to get as fired up about something as I am. They all listen to country music, and it's just impossibly difficult to talk to any of them about music. I hate it. lol
  • Like 1

I've run into this with significant others and it's hard to explain to them what it all means. Especially if you've loved the band for a long time. Soundtrack to my life is a good description, Meaninglessphoto. Geddy is the reason I play bass today, and what got me fired up at age 18 to really learn to play. Their music has always cheered me up, and they've been there through a lot of crappy times in my life.

I think part of what makes their stuff different is that it's not shallow like a lot of music. People are expecting to "get it" immediately like they would something like Shania Twain or AC/DC. But their music has so many layers, it can take time to really comprehend what they're all about. It's not simplistic three chord 4/4 music nor is most of it dance-able, which knocks out a lot of the population's reasons for listening to music in the first place. Rush is like a fine wine, you have to taste and savor it for a while, and then you want to drink the whole bottle. :)

• Like 2

/\ Thank you!

I had to explain to my fiance when we first got together how my love for Rush was. She didnt understand it. She's a huge country fan. Then I took her to see Rush in Raleigh in May and she went nuts. Now she's as big of a fan that I am. Perfection lol.

• Like 1

/\ Thank you!

I had to explain to my fiance when we first got together how my love for Rush was. She didnt understand it. She's a huge country fan. Then I took her to see Rush in Raleigh in May and she went nuts. Now she's as big of a fan that I am. Perfection lol.

That's awesome. I tried to get a girl friend to Cincinnati this year to see them but she wasn't able to make it. Been trying to turn her on to Rush for a while now. She just doesn't get it. I thought maybe seeing them in concert would do it, but it didn't work out this time.

Not everyone will feel the same about any band. Look, even Rush fan's don't agree half the time about Rush music. The only thing that's important is how the music affects YOU. I enjoy so many things because I can care less if you like what I like or not. I don't mind discussing it or pointing out something you might like from it, but in the end it's my experience, not yours. If I'm in the mood to enjoy a The Black Eyed Peas groove that they ripped off of someone else, that's my thing because I like the hook it has. If I worry about my "Cred" being ruined then I am not being true to myself.

By now you've figured out that this is a "ME" post. Make it a "YOU" post and be who you are, even if everyone else think's you've got poor taste. I know I haven't mentioned Rush in awhile but do I really need to? I think the question is answered.

I don't talk to non Rush fans! Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 3

/\ Thank you!

Yeah, baby!!!!!!! Is there a fist-bumping emoticon, because this certainly calls for one.

I have never really needed to do this. Most of the people I see on a regular basis are not rush fans and are into their own thing and we listen to a lot of different material.

For example, I have a friend who is a sci fi fanatic and absolutely loves most things like Star Trek, Star Wars, Comics, etc. and he absolutely hates Rush. I told him that 2112 and the concept would be right up his alley but...nothing.

Get a new friend.
  • Like 1

I don't talk to non Rush fans!

This. If I mention RUSH to someone and they say they don't like them, that person is dead to me. Period.

• Like 2

WOW! This really hits home with me. I'm leaving Friday from Sacramento California and driving to Portland for the 7-28-13 show. I'm going by myself. No Kids No wife No work Etc.!! My wife gets it a little but a lot of my friends think I'm nuts and don't understand why. The boys are the soundtrack to my life. This is a me vacation for 4 days. Lots of driving and lots of RUSH tunes. I have all studio and about 40 boots on my phone to listen to as I drive!!
  • Like 6

/\ Thank you!

My fiance likes them (not as much the music, but the friendship, the humor, and at least a few songs), but I can't wait for next Sunday when we see them at Portland. Subdivisions is her favorite song, and I can't wait to see the look on her face when they tear into it. I've been annoying her all year talking up this concert, and she's not over the top excited yet. She's gonna be mindblown. lol

• Like 1

Well, just in case I find myself in this kind of scenario. I will probably say, "Imagine the greatest music act you have ever loved in your life and how passionate you are about that act and how you can relate and connect well to that act." For me, that is how I feel about Rush, except that love is 100x larger than your love of any act. Edited by Anguyen92

I have talked to my bandmates about how cool Rush is. That doesn't seem to impress them, but most of the time when I just put their music on without telling their feet start tapping.

When I put on Clockwork Angels they feel it and kind of surprisingly asks "is this Rush?" When they know their age. So for me it works best letting the music do the talking - there is no words I can speak that will do it justice.

I don't talk to non Rush fans!

This. If I mention RUSH to someone and they say they don't like them, that person is dead to me. Period.

Same with me, even if i'm close to that person!!

When I was in high school I played Limelight for my sister. She said she didn't like it. I responded, "Really?" That was the last thing I ever said to her. That was 30 years ago. Some things are worth taking a stand over.

• Like 2

I don't really expect people to understand because well... they don't. Either that or I'm doing a really crappy job of explaining things to them.

I always wonder, do the fans of other bands have what we have? Have such large amounts of people bonded and become lifelong friends over their love for their band? Do they know that when all is said and done and their band has called it a day, that they will still have all of these people to do things with and call their friends in their life?

I guess, that has been my best explanation of late, people seem to understand that, like when I tell them about the huge group of us ladies having brunch before the Kansas City show, they kind of get it, and when I try to explain the lyrics and their musical aptitude, they kind of get it.

I say I love what I love, and when it comes to Rush, they are musical geniuses.

If you're a casual music fan who doesn't truly look into a song/album as a whole, of course you're not going to get into them. For those (like me) who sit there and dissect every part of a song and listen to an album like a story, and who listens to each separate instrument and how they work together in a song, Rush is a fantastic band.

I also tell them I don't understand other's hate for them ;)