What song do thing would be the best show opener for R40something tour?

What song would you most like to hear or think would be best to open the show for the R40 tour? One song, entire catalog.

Finding My Way. No better opener for an anniversary tour celebrating four decades the to play the song where it all began.
  • Like 3

The first couple minutes of Hemispheres. Then moment right before the vocals they can just transition into another song.

That would be cool. They can go right into The Spirit Of Radio right after that. I know they've opened with it a bunch of times in the past but Spirit is still the best song I've seen them open a show with. Or maybe they can do us all a favor like they did on the Vapor Trails tour and open with Tom Sawyer so we can get that song immediately out of the way ;)

• Like 1

What song would you most like to hear or think would be best to open the show for the R40 tour? One song, entire catalog.

I'd really dig a debut album medley. Something like they did for R30 but keep it to just the 1974 Rush album that will 40 years old at that point. Hell, I'd settle for a 20 album all-medley show... get pieces of EVERY song from their catalog in one show... I'd like that. I know there are medley haters out there but I've always enjoyed getting a little sample of many tunes versus the entirety of a select few. How cool would a Rivendell/Tears/TaiShan mash-up be, LIVE?! Rock ON!!!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Rush%202013%20Milwaukee%204%20July/IMG_3780_zpse0fbcc2d.jpg

As I have said in other R40 forums, I think it would be awesome if they picked up where they left off from R30. In R30 they played a bit from the first six albums then a full song from the seventh, so do this with the next set of albums. Think a medley of The Camera Eye, Digital Man, Kid Gloves, Emotion Detector, Lock And Key, and Show Don't Tell, then play Dreamline. Of course the songs could be interchanged, but I think these would flow nicely.
  • Like 1

No f*ckin' half-assed medleys! Sweet Jesus - can we just get a definitive (more or less) tune to open the set?

What about:

1. Working Man -- or

2. The Camera Eye -- or

3. The Analog Kid

The first couple minutes of Hemispheres. Then moment right before the vocals they can just transition into another song.

YES!

This is exactly how I have my R40 dream setlist beginning. Start with Instrumental of Hemispheres Prelude, then launch into The Spirit of Radio. :)

• Like 2

An Instrumedley: (Finding My Way, By-Tor & the Snowdog, The Necromancer, a Passage to Bangkok, Cygnus X-1, Hemisphere (prelude), Freewill) going right into Limelight! Like Below:

• Like 1

2112 Overture ---->

Tom Sawyer

You can make the last crash of the overture the 1st of Tom Sawyer and play them seamlessly.

That's how you give the show some juice right from the start.

Good idea, but is 2112 tuned up, or is Sawyer tuned down?

I'd really dig a debut album medley. Something like they did for R30 but keep it to just the 1974 Rush album that will 40 years old at that point. Hell, I'd settle for a 20 album all-medley show... get pieces of EVERY song from their catalog in one show... I'd like that. I know there are medley haters out there but I've always enjoyed getting a little sample of many tunes versus the entirety of a select few. How cool would a Rivendell/Tears/TaiShan mash-up be, LIVE?! Rock ON!!!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Rush%202013%20Milwaukee%204%20July/IMG_3780_zpse0fbcc2d.jpg

MEDLEYS, MEDLEYS MEDLEYS.....

I AM WITH YOU.....GET IN AS MANY SONGS AS POSSIBLE, EVEN 10 SECONDS OF SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING...

and keep the casual fans wondering what song they are playing, sorry, if you can't keep along with the changes, go back and listen to the catalog again...

can't tell you how many "fans" on this tour were heading to the bathrooms and beer during songs like Territories and Halo Effect...

I'd love it if they opened with a ripping drum solo....

ya a short one that leads into One Little Victory!

Set One

1. The Spirit of Radio

2. Superconductor

3. Cut to the Chase

4. Red Barchetta

5. Lock and Key

6. Carnies

7. Fly By Night

8. Available Light

9. Cold Fire

10. Tom Sawyer

Set 2